Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

Huge Step Forward in Motorcycle Safety

hehehehe

:D The best safety feature I've ever seen for bikes is a kind of strobe system on the headlights - extremely eye catching.

the most important piece of safety equipment is the rider's brain, everything else falls from that:

- Choices to ride, when, where, in what weather, in what state of mind and whether impaired

- Choice of vehicle, the condition of the vehicle, the added safety lights etc

- State of training, practice/drills around situational awareness and bike handling - style of riding: lane positioning, blind turn risk, conservative riding, focus on the task

- Choice of wearable safety gear - reducing risk of impaired visibility, insect intrusion of helmet, eyeglasses/goggles or clothes

I place the gear way down the list because if you do all the other stuff in such a way as to stack all the probabilities in your favor then as long as you have enclosed eyeware to protect visibility the rest is only to protect the rider after the rider has fucked up. There are very few scenarios where the rider truly could have done nothing to avoid an incident. Try me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

the most important piece of safety equipment is the rider's brain, everything else falls from that:

- Choices to ride, when, where, in what weather, in what state of mind and whether impaired

- State of training, practice/drills around situational awareness and bike handling - style of riding: lane positioning, blind turn risk, conservative riding, focus on the task

- Choice of wearable safety gear - reducing risk of impaired visibility, insect intrusion of helmet, eyeglasses/goggles or clothes

I place the gear way down the list because if you do all the other stuff in such a way as to stack all the probabilities in your favor then as long as you have enclosed eyeware to protect visibility the rest is only to protect the rider after the rider has fucked up. There are very few scenarios where the rider truly could have done nothing to avoid an incident. Try me!

100%, as unfortunately demonstrated in that video.

14 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

You're mostly right, but, there's no accounting for sudden inattention on another driver. 

Case in point - I'm leading a group of 5 motorcycles northbound in the left lane of Highway 15 near Thurmont, MD.  Rte 15 is a 4-lane divided highway with some cross roads and traffic lights.  A car in the right lane turns left to make a divide-crossover 150 feet in front of us.  I see her coming in my peripheral vision, and nail the brakes, but, she's braking too to try to make the turn.  She hit me, knocked me over the hood, thru the air, and luckily I broke a yield sign with my back to break my fall.   My bike tumbled into the #2 behind me and took him out as well, 3,4,5 were able to get stopped.     Short of not being there at the same time as that driver, I'm not sure what we could have done to avoid the incident, and believe me brudda, I spent a lot of time waiting on my broken back to heal thinking about that.  

if ya got some thoughts, I'd sincerely enjoy hearing them! 

I'm so sorry, but l laughed!

Am I going to Hell now?

• Like 1

Probably - but that's where all the fun people go so......

Or would you rather spend eternity sitting on a marble bench in a white robe listening to harp music with people like Jerry Falwell and Mike Pence?

Give them time for repentance. Heck even Lee Atwater, upon his deathbed, saw the way.

23 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You're mostly right, but, there's no accounting for sudden inattention on another driver. 

Case in point - I'm leading a group of 5 motorcycles northbound in the left lane of Highway 15 near Thurmont, MD.  Rte 15 is a 4-lane divided highway with some cross roads and traffic lights.  A car in the right lane turns left to make a divide-crossover 150 feet in front of us.  I see her coming in my peripheral vision, and nail the brakes, but, she's braking too to try to make the turn.  She hit me, knocked me over the hood, thru the air, and luckily I broke a yield sign with my back to break my fall.   My bike tumbled into the #2 behind me and took him out as well, 3,4,5 were able to get stopped.     Short of not being there at the same time as that driver, I'm not sure what we could have done to avoid the incident, and believe me brudda, I spent a lot of time waiting on my broken back to heal thinking about that.  

Speed differential and space are key to these situations as is threshold braking practice and the capability of the machine in that regard.

- I do not ride in groups per se while actually riding so in the situation you mention I would be alone in the left lane to the far right of the left of the #1 or left lane. I would have no one else on a bike or in a car near me in my lane as I manage traffic behind me so I can always brake instantly at 100% without being hit from behind by anything. I will go to extreme lengths including splitting agressively to get a safety bubble. In fact I will also speed up to get on the back (loosely) of the train to use the train as a blocker against left turners ahead etc.

- By being in the far right of lane #1 when I come up on cars in the #2 lane I am clearly in their side mirror and I can eventually see their face in this mirror and can see how much attention the are paying and whether they have seen me etc.

- I do not pass other traffic going in my direction at more than 10-15 MPH differential. If the car in the right lane is going 30 in a 45 and I am coming up at 50 I will slow down as there is a high probability that person is not paying attention or is flailing. The slower you are going the less distance it takes to stop and this goes down geometrically and goes up the same way. Double your speed, quadruple your stopping distance. I also do not hang around other cars I use acceleration to spend as little time as possible to pass a car. As soon as you are in front they have to see you and they can't hit you.

In your situation the car took all of your outs in all directions. You were too close in a critical zone, a zone you should not have been in for more than one second or not at all. I often will slow and not enter a situation until I can confirm I am seen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

"That" is to be expected of everyone in the other vehicle

they Are out to Run U Over

Kan't lettem or they Will

Soooo it can be said somewhat to a degree preventable 

I once had a car hop over a raised center divider and do a U turn out of traffic Not moving the other way

= No intersection No driveways Just the Fuck out of NoWhere

I Ride as far away from traffic as I can to the degree I can

on that day I was whey to the right if my lane and That allowed me time to deal with a car hopping in front of me

riding a MC "Nothing" should Ever be Unexpected

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

:D The best safety feature I've ever seen for bikes is a kind of strobe system on the headlights - extremely eye catching.

the biggest detriment to biker safety,  IMO has been the advent of daytime running lights on cars.  now bikers just blend in.  wheras before they tended to at least stand out.

on my old bmw and pac coast I had a headlight flasher....

I was coming home from work, a bit before 3AM riding in the middle lane of I45 just north of downtown Houston and as I topped an overpass a car at high speed went by in the inside lane (in the wrong direction). If I had been in that lane I might have been able to think fuck before it was over.  This was many years ago and i learned more about defensive driving in those couple of years than in all the previous ones combined. Always be in a middle lane if possible, always assume nobody sees you, always be thinking about an escape route and always look both ways at every intersection.  Oh, (this was before auto headlamp) always keep lights on all the the time. Had a woman pull out in front of me, luckily hit just hard enough to bend the bike and me without anything broken. 

While cars are much safer they are also much faster and filled with distractions.  I don't ride anymore, not worth the risk since I am in an urban area filled with idiots.

edit: yeah, I laughed as well - already know where I am going.....

Doesn't take very long on the medic unit to conclude riding a bike on the streets is just a bad idea. Doesn't matter whose fault it is......the rider takes it in the shorts.......sometimes literally.

8 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

the biggest detriment to biker safety,  IMO has been the advent of daytime running lights on cars.  now bikers just blend in.  wheras before they tended to at least stand out.

What has happened here in NZ is that Motorbike registration has become rather expensive, to cover the costs of the injuries when they fall off.

1st problem with this is that it's usually the car driver that has caused the injuries, so why arn't they paying?

2nd problem is now there are less motorbikes on the road, and car drivers are less in the habit of looking out for them. Look, don't see a car coming and go.....

Stupid really, we should be promoting bike usage, it is a far more environmentally friendly mode of transport.  Needles to say, I won't be getting one in a hurry.

I ride to and from work every day rain or shine Just started year two. In the first calendar year I drove the car twice due to customer dinners because I am zero tolerance on the bike. Zero. I split lanes every evening for 8 miles. I am conservative. I practice threshold braking from two to four times a day rain or shine getting off the freeway on the ramp from 75 MPH and in front of my house from 45 MPH. Bike has ABS. I try to pretend I am doing the most dangerous thing possible and could die at any moment if I let me guard down. I love it. It fits me personality and keeps me sane while ending my working/commuting life. I just bought second bike like mine that has 280K miles put on it by one guy who commuted every day for 18 years from Soquel to Sunnyvale and back. He had never been down in that time and distance.

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I ride to and from work every day rain or shine Just started year two. In the first calendar year I drove the car twice due to customer dinners because I am zero tolerance on the bike. Zero. I split lanes every evening for 8 miles. I am conservative. I practice threshold braking from two to four times a day rain or shine getting off the freeway on the ramp from 75 MPH and in front of my house from 45 MPH. Bike has ABS. I try to pretend I am doing the most dangerous thing possible and could die at any moment if I let me guard down. I love it. It fits me personality and keeps me sane while ending my working/commuting life. I just bought second bike like mine that has 280K miles put on it by one guy who commuted every day for 18 years from Soquel to Sunnyvale and back. He had never been down in that time and distance.

I hear ya

The last time I rode through SC, I had to lane split from the west end of Mission Street all the way past Aptos.

Ain't doing that again.

When the 89 quake hit I commuted on a Goldwing over the hill on Old San Jose Rd until they got 17 fixed up.

I just don't go down there anymore. Just too much humanity for me.

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

riding a MC "Nothing" should Ever be Unexpected

This

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I've only seen it quite recently (year or two) and it worked very well - couldn't miss them, even in pretty heavy traffic.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

problem is most people who ride have no clue how to ride...      the term  "countersteer"  is clearly foreign to most bikers..

Not-this-again.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Doesn't take very long on the medic unit to conclude riding a bike on the streets is just a bad idea. Doesn't matter whose fault it is......the rider takes it in the shorts.......sometimes literally.

My Mom had a company selling surgical instruments and prosthetic implants.  She, and her staff, referred to them as "donorcycles".

I was only allowed to ride in the dirt.  Though, I did escape some serious shit I invited because of testosterone poisoning.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

My Mom had a company selling surgical instruments and prosthetic implants.  She, and her staff, referred to them as "donorcycles".

I was only allowed to ride in the dirt.  Though, I did escape some serious shit I invited because of testosterone poisoning.

Friend is a nurse in a major Hospital, and that's what they call helmet-less riders.  My Uncle was killed on a bicycle when he was clipped by a Mason Dump Truck.  If he had a helmet on, he would probably still be with us.  I did not laugh when I watched that clip, the guy is probably dead also....

40 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a parody........

Ya think?  Looked real to me, but I may just be a tad gullible....

20 hours ago, hobot said:

I'm so sorry, but l laughed!

Am I going to Hell now?

Me too.  In fact I'm still laughing as I type this.....

And yes! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Not gullible...............just...trusting...........;)

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Interesting fun fact.  Gullible is a slang word and doesn't appear in any Dictionary.  Look it up if you don't believe me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

Interesting fun fact.  Gullible is a slang word and doesn't appear in any Dictionary.  Look it up if you don't believe me.

Google disagrees with that statement........

Web results

: easily fooled or cheated; especially : quick to believe something that is not true. See the full definition for gullible in the English Language Learners Dictionary. gullible. gull·ible | \ˈgə-lə-bəl \

Gullible Person 2: Really? (Checks dictionary) Gullible Person 2: Wow! It really isn't in the dictionary!Gullible Person 1: Oh my God! Give me a look! by Rock DJ ...

gullible adjective. us /ˈɡʌl·ə·bəl/ easily deceived or tricked, and too willing to believe everything that other people say: a gullible young man. (Definition of “gullible” from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)

Gullible definition, easily deceived or cheated. See more.

gullible. If you are gullible, the joke is on you because you are easily fooled. It is thought that gulliblemight be derived from the verb gull, meaning "to swallow." This would be a funny coincidence asgullible describes an overly trusting person who tends to swallow the stories he hears whole.

Define gullible (adjective) and get synonyms. What is gullible (adjective)? gullible (adjective) meaning, pronunciation and more by Macmillan Dictionary.

41 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

I see what you did there. :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

Billy, Billy, Billy.     :(

You got me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

Okay................maybe he is gullible..................

16 hours ago, VOA said:

Mensa.  

Yeah, but I stopped paying dues after a year.  No time to drive an hour to meet with strangers, I have enough good friends nearby.  And anyone else with high SAT or other standard test scores is also eligible, so it's not a big deal anyway.

So, whose sock is VOA?  He's obviously been around for a while........

19 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

I'm stealing this.  Brilliant !

19 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

Damn.  I can't say I've ever seen that joke play out so well.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

So, whose sock is VOA?  He's obviously been around for a while........

Only the Shadow knows?

Just now, hobot said:

Only the Shadow knows?

Okay, that makes sense!  What was his original SA moniker, I have forgotten it?  We had a couple PM's years back...

Orange sumpthin' I think.

Can't quite remember, he was a real Champion of the "Friday" thread BITD.

23 minutes ago, hobot said:

Coade Orange nevere remindid me of shadowe.                 :)

1 hour ago, hobot said:

I think he was "Number 9" and his profile pic was Patrick McNee from "The Prisoner" show.

I thought it was Number 6 and that he was flicked for stalking BJ or something.

58 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I think he was "Number 9" and his profile pic was Patrick McNee from "The Prisoner" show.

Wasn't that "The Avengers"?

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

Wasn't that "The Avengers"?

Patrick McNee was in the Avengers with Diana Rigg, but The Prisoner was later on, and not as widely distributed, or popular as the Avengers.

Ime am a tadd gullibille to, butte I thick you talkling abote New Yorkes owen Ptrick McGoohan,

PATRICKMCGOOHAN_1239075f.jpg

also nowen as Secret Argent Man                                                                  :)

ummmm, if I recall correctly it was John Drake, no?

Was like the local YRA president. Even used that nom de plum to write articles for there yearbook. Real weird guy IIRC.

2 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

ummmm, if I recall correctly it was John Drake, no?

Was like the local YRA president. Even used that nom de plum to write articles for there yearbook. Real weird guy IIRC.

You coude lectiurre at Vassar on thisse topice IMHO.                      :)

So many disguises, so little time....

It's all fun though 

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You coude lectiurre  Vassar on thisse topice IMHO.                      :)

Wait, what? How does Vassar Clemons fit into this theory of ours?

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

I licke to thick of it as 'layeres of funne'                                   :)

You meen licke a weeding ccacke?

15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

You coude lectiurre at Vassar on thisse topice IMHO.                      :)

Wait, I thought BdB was Drake's latest incarnation.

They're all that incestuous LIS group anyway.  I have it on very good authority that Snaggs is really Espo.  Or should I say Expo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

They're all that incestuous LIS group anyway.  I have it on very good authority that Snaggs is really Espo.  Or should I say Expo.

so yer saying Snaggs is a Dikie

or not

what was the consensus 

4 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

so yer saying Snaggs is a Dikie

or not

what was the consensus 

I am a big fan of the Snaggs, and Expo too for that matter.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

How about a lot of them :rolleyes:

I was at a red light last in line. I ran out of gas, so I switched onto reserve and drove up the shoulder to the gas station at the corner. A drunk plowed into the line going about 50 where I just was :o My two friends at flight school were riding one way when a truck coming at them veered hard across the center line and hit them both head on and killed them :(

Motorcycles are screwed. Ignoring the idiot riders, distracted drivers have got to be the biggest threat. Yet, look where the modern car/truck is headed. It’s a race to see who can put the biggest display in the middle of the dash, and then force the driver to scroll through a pile of menus to control anything. It gets worse every year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Holy Cow!

No, Expo is Warner Wolf. That much is fersur.

So the backstory, the foundations for it all was based on a theory that he who shall not be named screen name was an acronym , code for Detroit.... Michigan-Ghetto, truncated. There was a lady who claimed to be from PNW who made a claim or eluded to such and that that poster/screen name was a fabrication passed about one specific boat's crew. A soical experiemte so to speak. While I think it became clear that that was a full on ploy, no basis in the truth, it got the WLIS crowd thinking of just how much we could muddy the waters. A jumble of sorts, toss it all in a blender, set it to high and let it whirl with the top off..... just for shits and giggles.

I was once Snaggletooth but that screen name was put into the pot to sweeten a five player trade. Hack, The Commodore, Notorious Big, for LIS Kid, Sandy Vag and I think one other..... maybe it was Solo. Then you have The Snaggy deal in exchange for a player to be named later, Bit Pitch and Stepping Stones.  The Number 6 angle was fluid as well. Not only was the screen name interchangeable with John Drake, The Invisible Man, The Shadow and Murphy Moose (don't ask me, it was a McCabe thing) but no one was allowed to log in as any of those more than once a week. The pool of talent  was deep and diverse. So just when you thought you were responding to one person, you were in fact speaking to several in the course of a week long exchange. All either played off the last or took the whole thing in a completely different direction. This resulted in a very schizophrenic feel to it...… but make no mistake, the people behind the screen were having a full on blast at the entire SA community's expense.

However several parties reneged on the scheduled password exchanges and the whole thing went south. Very hard to keep  juggling so many balls, a few are bound to hit the carpet from time to time.  The bright side of it all was Moondance44, Edith and Tony from Sheepshagger Bay got banned and INOSR's head exploded. Pretty much all the passwords got reset and no one knew who is who or what is what. It was, to say the least chaos and anyone who thinks they had a handle on the situation were little more than a marionette at the hands of some very creative and devious people. Sometimes sadistic complete with secret incantations, pentagrams, candles burning blue, Ouiji boards a plenty. There was even talk of sacrificing the boy virgin to appease the gods.

I have to say though, without a program none of us know who we might come on as at any given time. Think of Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide, The Heart of Gold and Improbability Drive on steroids. Long history with some arrangement between Julien Doughtery (God rest his soul) and Anonymous Guest that got the whole thing hurling through the Intergalactic Time Continuum. 

I think it was generally referred to as "The Rouse" with the old switcheroo first transpiring on Thanks Giving that had Ishmael and a few others, thought they had is soused out but later learned they knew less and less the more and more the plot unfolded. There was some talk of a reunion tour but for now that is on a backburner 'cause SA is on life support and none of the remaining principles wants to be the one to drive the wooden stake into the vampires withering heart..... last nail in the coffin, so to speak.

Do I have that about right Snaggy? Am I leaving out any of the more important details that could be shared...… understanding that many can neverevercometoolite!!

Sooo Eddie, the short answers is no, not a fookin clue!

16 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

BTW, sorry for the hijack PB.

I’ve highjacked worse.......it’s part of the landscape. No sniveling from me! 

You guys are freaking me out. 

Wife and I leave next Monday for a week or so of riding in the desert. Now I'm scared there's a coyote behind every stinking cactus waiting to take me out with an anvil or a catapult or some other form of torture.

33 minutes ago, bmiller said:

You guys are freaking me out. 

Wife and I leave next Monday for a week or so of riding in the desert. Now I'm scared there's a coyote behind every stinking cactus waiting to take me out with an anvil or a catapult or some other form of torture.

Hearre is poestere you can usse fiorre refferense.

ACME-Logo.png

I do notte see anny rockettes butte it seemes farrley compleatte.              :)

On 1/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, Point Break said:

You'd appreciate some pics we took after a DUI on a bike tried passing my 5-7mph ass, on the shoulder in a 50 zone. We (passengers and boat trailer) were turning into a residence driveway as he ripped past his buddies in the pickup truck immediately on my '6' doing some hot-dog, shoulder-passing stunt. After leaving 80 feet of skid mark, he head-butted my "C"-pillar, no helmet.  He lived - with a broken jaw, wrist, shoulder, and hip.  His "friends" actually tried to help him up and leave the scene, but that didn't work out too well.

As a consolation prize he did get a helicopter ride....

Trooper_2.jpg.d282760935aefa18c3b931ef7408bfb5.jpg

It is amazing the stunts people try.............death wish I suppose. They never seem to contemplate a lifetime of driving their wheelchair by blowing in a straw..........

And those helicopter rides are not fun......and not cheap!! Better to go to Vegas a pay for a couple helicopter loops around the strip! :lol:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Holy Cow!

So the backstory, the foundations for it all was based on a theory that he who shall not be named screen name was an acronym , code for Detroit.... Michigan-Ghetto, truncated. There was a lady who claimed to be from PNW who made a claim or eluded to such and that that poster/screen name was a fabrication passed about one specific boat's crew. A soical experiemte so to speak. While I think it became clear that that was a full on ploy, no basis in the truth, it got the WLIS crowd thinking of just how much we could muddy the waters. A jumble of sorts, toss it all in a blender, set it to high and let it whirl with the top off..... just for shits and giggles.

I was once Snaggletooth but that screen name was put into the pot to sweeten a five player trade. Hack, The Commodore, Notorious Big, for LIS Kid, Sandy Vag and I think one other..... maybe it was Solo. Then you have The Snaggy deal in exchange for a player to be named later, Bit Pitch and Stepping Stones.  The Number 6 angle was fluid as well. Not only was the screen name interchangeable with John Drake, The Invisible Man, The Shadow and Murphy Moose (don't ask me, it was a McCabe thing) but no one was allowed to log in as any of those more than once a week. The pool of talent  was deep and diverse. So just when you thought you were responding to one person, you were in fact speaking to several in the course of a week long exchange. All either played off the last or took the whole thing in a completely different direction. This resulted in a very schizophrenic feel to it...… but make no mistake, the people behind the screen were having a full on blast at the entire SA community's expense.

However several parties reneged on the scheduled password exchanges and the whole thing went south. Very hard to keep  juggling so many balls, a few are bound to hit the carpet from time to time.  The bright side of it all was Moondance44, Edith and Tony from Sheepshagger Bay got banned and INOSR's head exploded. Pretty much all the passwords got reset and no one knew who is who or what is what. It was, to say the least chaos and anyone who thinks they had a handle on the situation were little more than a marionette at the hands of some very creative and devious people. Sometimes sadistic complete with secret incantations, pentagrams, candles burning blue, Ouiji boards a plenty. There was even talk of sacrificing the boy virgin to appease the gods.

I have to say though, without a program none of us know who we might come on as at any given time. Think of Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide, The Heart of Gold and Improbability Drive on steroids. Long history with some arrangement between Julien Doughtery (God rest his soul) and Anonymous Guest that got the whole thing hurling through the Intergalactic Time Continuum. 

I think it was generally referred to as "The Rouse" with the old switcheroo first transpiring on Thanks Giving that had Ishmael and a few others, thought they had is soused out but later learned they knew less and less the more and more the plot unfolded. There was some talk of a reunion tour but for now that is on a backburner 'cause SA is on life support and none of the remaining principles wants to be the one to drive the wooden stake into the vampires withering heart..... last nail in the coffin, so to speak.

Do I have that about right Snaggy? Am I leaving out any of the more important details that could be shared...… understanding that many can neverevercometoolite!!

You Sir, are no Snaggletooth.

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Hearre is poestere you can usse fiorre refferense.

ACME-Logo.png

I do notte see anny rockettes butte it seemes farrley compleatte.              :)

I saw a Rockettes butte once at Radio City Music Hall!

15 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Holy Cow!

Holy shit, you guys take this place far too seriously.

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

How can you be so sure? I certainly cannot profess to such with any degree of certainty.

I can

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Holy shit, you guys take this place far too seriously.

I'm thinking LIS need a stronger consistent breeze because those light conditions obviously leave the crew with too much scheming time.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 10:28 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

How about a lot of them :rolleyes:

I was at a red light last in line. I ran out of gas, so I switched onto reserve and drove up the shoulder to the gas station at the corner. A drunk plowed into the line going about 50 where I just was :o My two friends at flight school were riding one way when a truck coming at them veered hard across the center line and hit them both head on and killed them :(

Its good you got out of line. I am rarely in a line and in fewer lines every day as I finally just decided to illegally use the shoulder to clear cage clogs. If I am first in a line of one at a light I am in first gear, eyes on the mirrors ready to hard right in the crosswalk to clear the lane until I get a green unless there's at least 5 vehicles in line. Recently we had an 18 wheeler at freeway speed plow through a double line 10 cars deep as it lost brakes. The cars where at a light stacked up.

Sorry about your friends. I would be curious to see the police report. Sounds a like an assassination by truck. If there were riding apart like I do maybe only one would have died. There is no value in any way to ride with a group in a formation for me. Even if on a club ride with a known route out in the boonies I do not ride with another rider where I can see them while riding my way. Lots of folks crash while assuming the person they are following knows what they are doing. I did talk with a person who's dad, a lifelong rider was stalked and bumped off his bike at 35 MPH one night out riding. Hit and run. Shattered his femur and he hung up his spurs. He had gotten into some sort of conflict with the driver and did not just get away aggressively enough and should have avoided any conflict if possible. All these things go into the memory bank and I try to look out for them and alter my  riding to avoid them.

I will say on two lane country roads I am pretty paranoid of oncoming traffic and track behavior pretty closely. I also move way over to the right as the cars pass. No claiming my territory at the center line for me. Thats for people who haven't thought things out enough and/or their ego's are too big to ride.

19 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Its good you got out of line. I am rarely in a line and in fewer lines every day as I finally just decided to illegally use the shoulder to clear cage clogs. If I am first in a line of one at a light I am in first gear, eyes on the mirrors ready to hard right in the crosswalk to clear the lane until I get a green unless there's at least 5 vehicles in line. Recently we had an 18 wheeler at freeway speed plow through a double line 10 cars deep as it lost brakes. The cars where at a light stacked up.

Sorry about your friends. I would be curious to see the police report. Sounds a like an assassination by truck. If there were riding apart like I do maybe only one would have died. There is no value in any way to ride with a group in a formation for me. Even if on a club ride with a known route out in the boonies I do not ride with another rider where I can see them while riding my way. Lots of folks crash while assuming the person they are following knows what they are doing. I did talk with a person who's dad, a lifelong rider was stalked and bumped off his bike at 35 MPH one night out riding. Hit and run. Shattered his femur and he hung up his spurs. He had gotten into some sort of conflict with the driver and did not just get away aggressively enough and should have avoided any conflict if possible. All these things go into the memory bank and I try to look out for them and alter my  riding to avoid them.

I will say on two lane country roads I am pretty paranoid of oncoming traffic and track behavior pretty closely. I also move way over to the right as the cars pass. No claiming my territory at the center line for me. Thats for people who haven't thought things out enough and/or their ego's are too big to ride.

Forgot to mention my friend who borrowed my bike, declined to use my helmet, and crashed into a rose bush. He looked like he lost a fight with 300 angry cats :o:lol:

For me, dodging idiot car drivers got real old and not fun anymore and I used to ride in weather most cars would not go out in.