MauiPunter

Nine foot draft in New England?

Would a boat having a nine foot draft be disqualifying for you if you kept it in New England?  I assume that could potentially be limiting on smaller harbors you can't get into.  Have any of you had such draft on your boat in New England?  What was your overall experience.  Is the extra performance worth the worry?

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Would a boat having a nine foot draft be disqualifying for you if you kept it in New England?  I assume that could potentially be limiting on smaller harbors you can't get into.  Have any of you had such draft on your boat in New England?  What was your overall experience.  Is the extra performance worth the worry?

It depends on where you want to go? The 65' IOR boat I ran in the early 80's was just shy of that draft, and they brought it up the CT river to Hamburg Cove to legally do the IOR rating measurements, in fresh water, as opposed to salt.  Depth was less of a problem than the mast height under the I-95 bridge, so they heeled Boomerang over, with the spin halyards, to clear the span. This was a year or two before I was onboard, so it's just second hand information, after the fact.  And, why do you need "extra performance", if you are cruising in New England?  Many very interesting ports are not that far apart, and if you can plan your trips, according to the tides, even faster.  We left Newport once or twice, at 3 AM to make Stamford in 12 hours, instead of much longer, had we left at daybreak with foul tides.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Would a boat having a nine foot draft be disqualifying for you if you kept it in New England?  No. I assume that could potentially be limiting on smaller harbors you can't get into.  Maybe, but the same might be said for boats with a 7' draft. Have any of you had such draft on your boat in New England?  Not me, anyway. What was your overall experience.  Is the extra performance worth the worry? I have glanced off rocks with boats that had a 3"6", 4'6" and 6'6" drafts, don't see why a 9' draft would be any different. New England's got rocks.

The rule of thumb is that every foot of draft cuts the number of available anchorages in half.

That said, 9' still leaves plenty of access to marinas and travel lifts, but you won't be sneaking into many anchorages.

Our "small New England harbor" is dredged to 8' at mean low tide. We've had America II come visit.  She draws about 12', last I checked.  Many New England harbors have been commercial ports since before the American Revolution because they could handle deep-draft transoceanic cargo vessels. New Bedford became the whaling capital of the U.S. when whaling ships got too big to get into the harbor at Nantucket in the 1800's.   The Nantucket channel is 15' deep. There are plenty of places to go with a 9' keel. 

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

And, why do you need "extra performance", if you are cruising in New England?  Many very interesting ports are not that far apart, and if you can plan your trips, according to the tides, even faster.  We left Newport once or twice, at 3 AM to make Stamford in 12 hours, instead of much longer, had we left at daybreak with foul tides.

Its not that I "need" the performance, (although I do offshore racing in my furniture boat) its that some of the boats I am looking at for future prospects have 8.5' - 9.5' of draft.  I have been fortunate that my current boat has a centerboard, so I can get 8' with it down for performance, and tuck it up to 5' when its time to dock/moore/anchor.  Although I dont see myself as a "racer", I am drawn to things that go fast and having a boat that goes to winward like a champ is kinda satisfying, even if its a furniture boat.  It seems appealing to cruise with a boat that has some performance.  Blasting off to Maine or Halifax or down to Nantucket or out to Bermuda, having a boat that can do 8-10 kts+ is kinda nice.

• Like 2

In Maine, particularly Midcoast, 9’ would limit you to perhaps 50% of the docks at low tide. Even boats at 7’ have to pick and choose. However, with the wide availability of moorings, if you had a dinghy with you, it wouldn’t be a huge problem.

There’s a joke about depth finders being of little value around here because of ledges... by the time the alarm goes off, it's too late. Know the charts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jangles13 said:

In Maine, particularly Midcoast, 9’ would limit you to perhaps 50% of the docks at low tide. Even boats at 7’ have to pick and choose. However, with the wide availability of moorings, if you had a dinghy with you, it wouldn’t be a huge problem.

There’s a joke about depth finders being of little value around here because of ledges... by the time the alarm goes off, it's too late. Know the charts.

We draw just under 9' and have not found that limiting, cruising from Casco Bay to NE Harbor, with plenty of time spent around Muscongus Bay and the midcoast. An exception was The Basin where we waited for half tide as there's a shallow spot on the bend.

If you mess up, you'll hit many of the same ledges whether you draw 6' or 9'.

Agree about depth finders.

• Like 1

menemsha and cuttyhunk will be hard with that draft, you'll have to be careful around the boston harbor islands, anchorages in mystic will be too shallow, and as everyone else has said, keep a close eye on the charts. with the tide swings starting in Boston and getting more dramatic the further north/east you are, you can find yourself in a bad spot pretty quickly.

9' draft would **severely** limit your options in NE.  My buddy who upgraded to a J120 said his only problem is the draft, 7'.  He is very limited where he can go. Yes, you could get by but you'd be forever figuring out tides and where you could go. In my harbor there was for one season a Swan with a deep keel. He could only get in and out 2 hrs on either side of a hgh tide. He didn't keep it around here for a second season. 

I draw 6.5' and have gone aground where the charts say 8+ feet.

I'd never have a boat that deep in NE.

39 minutes ago, DrewR said:

9' draft would **severely** limit your options in NE.  My buddy who upgraded to a J120 said his only problem is the draft, 7'.  He is very limited where he can go. Yes, you could get by but you'd be forever figuring out tides and where you could go. In my harbor there was for one season a Swan with a deep keel. He could only get in and out 2 hrs on either side of a hgh tide. He didn't keep it around here for a second season. 

I draw 6.5' and have gone aground where the charts say 8+ feet.

I'd never have a boat that deep in NE.

Huh? 

Been on Buzzards Bay  with 7' 6" for 15 years and there is only a few places I could not go get into cruising NY to ME.  Eel Pond and Menemsha.  

I agree about a deep keel's ability to go to weather.  Love the fact that I can claw off a lee shore without sweating. 

Just not an issue for me or many of my friends (who are very active racers and cruisers) drawing 6' - 9'.

15 minutes ago, sail69 said:

Huh? 

Been on Buzzards Bay  with 7' 6" for 15 years and there is only a few places I could not go get into cruising NY to ME.  Eel Pond and Menemsha.  

I agree about a deep keel's ability to go to weather.  Love the fact that I can claw off a lee shore without sweating. 

Just not an issue for me or many of my friends (who are very active racers and cruisers) drawing 6' - 9'.

As long as you time it right. There are plenty of awesome cruising destinations that are slowly silting in. You're luckier than me. I've bumped in Red Brook, Marion, Cuttyhunk, Tashmoo (after dredging), and a few other. It **does* limit your destinations. I've been in Buzzards for 15 yrs as well and my next ride will be shoal(er) draft. 

Try going inside Cuttyhunk and anchoring in the summer with deep draft. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, DrewR said:

As long as you time it right. There are plenty of awesome cruising destinations that are slowly silting in. You're luckier than me. I've bumped in Red Brook, Marion, Cuttyhunk, Tashmoo (after dredging), and a few other. It **does* limit your destinations. I've been in Buzzards for 15 yrs as well and my next ride will be shoal(er) draft. 

Try going inside Cuttyhunk and anchoring in the summer with deep draft. Good luck!

Agreed, if you want to anchor in the corners of a harbor deep draft is not your friend.  

For the record I keep boat in Marion, been into Red Brook (go left not right), regular at Cuttyhunk inside (yup a mooring) and don't care about Tashmoo. 

• Like 1

In Maine, I find a draft of 4’6” with board up has greatly expanded the anchorages, and locations within the anchorage, available to me vs 6’-7’. 

2 hours ago, DrewR said:

9 foot draft is very doable in BB. Have a few buddies with near and beyond that draft that cruise all the time. 

Just need to be on top of navigation a bit more than if you had 6 foot draft. 

Tashmoo IS off limits to everything deeper than 6 feet though.

13 minutes ago, Parma said:

is this a 45' boat?

56'.  

38 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

56'.  

What is it?

6 hours ago, sail69 said:

Agreed, if you want to anchor in the corners of a harbor deep draft is not your friend.  

For the record I keep boat in Marion, been into Red Brook (go left not right), regular at Cuttyhunk inside (yup a mooring) and don't care about Tashmoo. 

The dock in Marion? Doubtful at anything less than high tide.  I sometimes race out of there. Red Brook? I live there. Even the north channel is dicey at time. Fine if you dont mind waiting and stay put at negative tides. But hey, whatever floats your boat. I'd rather have more, not less places to go.

Tashmoo is awesome but off limits til they figure out the dredging and let people anchor again.

See, I like anchoring out.  99% of the time I am on the hook. 

BB is ok for deep draft if you limit your cruising and are super careful. I guess I suck...

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

What is it?

Well, one of the boats I am looking at is a Hanse 575.  Another is a J-160.  There are a couple others in the mix around that size.

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Swan 65 draws 9’6:D

Yea, that's a lot more boat than I am looking for.  55 is the sweet spot.   I am also looking at a Swan 56, which is is 9'4".  There is also a Sweden 54 which is just shy of 9'.

Exactly why I dream of an after market lifting keel system.  Restricted draft in our harbor (off Buzzards Bay) has certainly capped my searches of used boat listings. 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, PaulK said:

Our "small New England harbor" is dredged to 8' at mean low tide. We've had America II come visit.  She draws about 12', last I checked.  Many New England harbors have been commercial ports since before the American Revolution because they could handle deep-draft transoceanic cargo vessels. New Bedford became the whaling capital of the U.S. when whaling ships got too big to get into the harbor at Nantucket in the 1800's.   The Nantucket channel is 15' deep. There are plenty of places to go with a 9' keel. 

No legal twelve meter draws more than 9' and change. 

9 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

image.png.d6c215e69cf55d4aa8df73332d2a50b5.png

Don't think he means a 12M

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 6:54 PM, MauiPunter said:

IMG_0622.JPG

14 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

Check out swan 56 amerigo.  J160 true will be for sale mid summer in turn key offshore shape

Those two are on my radar.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:02 PM, MauiPunter said:

Well, one of the boats I am looking at is a Hanse 575.  Another is a J-160.  There are a couple others in the mix around that size.

Maui...my Buddy has J-160 that I believe he is still selling...interested?

26 minutes ago, sail69 said:

Maui...my Buddy has J-160 that I believe he is still selling...interested?

Possibly.  Is it the one in Marion?

On 1/12/2019 at 5:51 PM, DrewR said:

The dock in Marion? Doubtful at anything less than high tide.  I sometimes race out of there. Red Brook? I live there. Even the north channel is dicey at time. Fine if you dont mind waiting and stay put at negative tides. But hey, whatever floats your boat. I'd rather have more, not less places to go.

Tashmoo is awesome but off limits til they figure out the dredging and let people anchor again.

See, I like anchoring out.  99% of the time I am on the hook. 

BB is ok for deep draft if you limit your cruising and are super careful. I guess I suck...

No suck.

He asked for opinions and he got em'.

And I moor, if available, when cruising because I am lazy. 

Different strokes.

I think cruising it wouldn't be too much problem in Maine or Canada.  Yes some places a little hard to get into but not most.  Docks can be a issue but not a lot of them either further north you go.  Home port could be more of an issue depending on where it is and how much time you plan to be there.  

On 1/13/2019 at 9:01 AM, crashtestdummy said:

Check out swan 56 amerigo.  J160 true will be for sale mid summer in turn key offshore shape

Ira should buy the J160

2 hours ago, sail69 said:

yup

Heron is very nice 160, but it would take some time and money to get that thing into racing shape.

You probably could race it as is but not very competitively

On 1/11/2019 at 6:54 PM, MauiPunter said:

It depends, are you a racer or a cruiser?

Where are you out of?

On 1/12/2019 at 11:02 PM, MauiPunter said:

Which 160?

15 minutes ago, Luketougas1 said:

It depends, are you a racer or a cruiser?

Where are you out of?

Cruising with the occasional off-shore race.  (Berringer, Downeast, etc...)  All for fun though.   I'd be up for the Halifax or Bermuda, but just for the experience and challenge of doing it.  Don't really care about winning pickle dishes.

Boston for now.

My marina can handle the size no problem on a slip.

4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Cruising with the occasional off-shore race.  (Berringer, Downeast, etc...)  All for fun though.   I'd be up for the Halifax or Bermuda, but just for the experience and challenge of doing it.  Don't really care about winning pickle dishes.

Boston for now.

My marina can handle the size no problem on a slip.

8 is the magic number

however, you should be fine with 9 feet

On 1/13/2019 at 1:00 PM, jackolantern said:

America II draws eleven feet.