Sign in to follow this  
Baldur

Philippines Sailing Scene?

So I'm heading to Philippines next month to spend a couple of months with the new girl. I have a new job I can work remote, so kind of a working vacation.

I looked at Subic Bay Yacht Club calendar and they have no events listed. I'd like to find a competitive boat to get a few races in. Alternately, or in addition too, I'd like to find someone looking for some crew for casual racing or an afternoon or overnight cruise to take my girlfriend along and introduce her to sailing. I can supply my sailing CV and references for anyone interested?

Any ideas where I should look?

Bump...

I'm here and except for dingy sailing I haven't found anything going on. Weather is perfect; dry, not to hot or cold, light winds every day. Is this the off season?

Gotta be someone here who knows something. 

Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, a few hours south of Manila. That is the only proper sailing venue. Fantastic place. Spent a couple of years there. Contact the yacht club. You can sail dinghies, get a charter, scuba, swim, drink, dance, etc. etc:

pgyc.org

Well this weekend is the start of the Subic Cup. Saturday is a race to Verde Island and back to subic. Then a series of inshore races. 

Then at the end of Of April is the Commodores Cup in Subic.

at the Manila Yacht Club, every first Saturday of the month is club racing.

Lake Taal Yacht Club is the home of the Hobbie Fleet and other dinghies. I believe every second weekend is racing? 

SBYC has expressed an interest in getting club racing going. Promising? 

Well Subic Cup and Verde Island race sound awesome. But we have a wedding to goto near Candelaria this weekend. So that is pretty well out for me.

I guess I will hit up Manila yacht club and see if I can find a ride for one of their races. I would love to do CSR (I guess this year is HK-Puerto Galera, which is not the actual CSR) again. I have tried several times and the only time I have done it was a friend who solicited me as watch captain for someone elses boat he was skippering. That was not the most spectacular experience. I may go add myself to the crew list at RHKYC. I have better local sailing references in HK now than I did when I was trying to do it last time. I was planning to stay till mid april anyway. Whats another couple weeks?

Thank for the input.