paps49

What about a drop in pitch? Latest news fo dummies.

A drop-in pitch is a pitch that is prepared away from the ground or venue in which it is used, and "dropped" into place for a match to take place. This allows multi-purpose venues to host other sports and events with more versatility than a dedicated cricket ground would allow.

Cricket pitch - Wikipedia

Long time listener, first time caller.

As someone who is a long time AC addict but not full on at this stage it would be great to have a "catch up" thread maybe. To quote a friend, leading with my chin perhaps around here. I often drop in here to get the jist of what's going on but get defeated by the myriad threads and rabbit holes.

Come in ask what you want to know and take your chances, just like a pub. Thoughts only please no prayers accepted.

drop in.jpg

I think you're looking for a wiki. If you can't produce the content, invite or encourage others to do so. If you moderate and curate it, maybe others will contribute. OT here though I think.

• Like 1

Yeah I know but none of those options really works. The most up to date material is in here, it always has been.

Jack Griffin is doing a good AC newsletter. I don't think it's realistic to expect a succinct summary here. 

• Like 1

I wasn't suggesting a running synopses, just a place where you could pop in and ask questions, like a bar.

Fully expect thread drift, trolls, socks and idiot questions but if a decent question is asked the answers lie here.

8 hours ago, paps49 said:

I wasn't suggesting a running synopses, just a place where you could pop in and ask questions, like a bar.

Fully expect thread drift, trolls, socks and idiot questions but if a decent question is asked the answers lie here.

Ask away

OK, how committed are Team Malta, anyone know?

I notice their Team link on the AC website just goes to the Club home page.

I will ask a question. For years Stingray was the most prolific poster to this site. We often did not see eye to eye, especially during AC33,  but I appreciated all the news stories he posted here. As of sometime 4Q 2018 he seems to have gone away. If he is posting under a different screen name, I haven't made the connection. Anyone know what's happened to him?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, paps49 said:

OK, how committed are Team Malta, anyone know?

Not clear they have the $$$, not clear they have a sailing team, rumours of Iain Percy's involvement notwithstanding. Definitely the flakiest of the late entrants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

I will ask a question. For years Stingray was the most prolific poster to this site. We often did not see eye to eye, especially during AC33,  but I appreciated all the news stories he posted here. As of sometime 4Q 2018 he seems to have gone away. If he is posting under a different screen name, I haven't made the connection. Anyone know what's happened to him?

Good observation and question...

7 hours ago, dogwatch said:

From the Stingray profile he were posting up until Jan 9th. 2018 and just stop.

In fact SR last post was Dec 9, 2018 and I was wondering why, I hope w'll see him back, he is one of the best informed poster here, at least on the US side. Too bad I missed him in SF during AC34.

9 hours ago, Herfy said:

From the Stingray profile he were posting up until Jan 9th. 2018 and just stop.

He changed profiles then I think. He then started posting from a new one with the same avatar. 

So mysterious.

Ok Stingray. Hope you are alive. Will look for Avatar and learning. Maybe I will come back as a balls to the wall dude. 

On 1/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, paps49 said:

A drop-in pitch is a pitch that is prepared away from the ground or venue in which it is used, and "dropped" into place for a match to take place. This allows multi-purpose venues to host other sports and events with more versatility than a dedicated cricket ground would allow.

I don't think that works for AC racecourses though :huh:

Edit: re Stingray absence, if anyone needed confirmation that Larry is out for good...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hoom said:

Edit: re Stingray absence, if anyone needed confirmation that Larry is out for good...

Larry didn't tell SR his plans. Insofar as SR had inside information that came from Ehman, who was himself pretty much out of the loop by AC35. SR was definitely posting here up to 4Q 2018, he did change screen name from time to time but always recognisably, at least previously that was the case.

15 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

He changed profiles then I think. He then started posting from a new one with the same avatar. 

So mysterious.

Actually he changed account when he hit 50 000 posts but kept a similar avatar with some extra or fewer ~

I agree that he was good at browsing through all AC related news and provide links to any related article, sometimes non English as well... Some people were bored because it was too much but as it was only a link and a pitch I found it very useful to pick up the reads I wanted to spend more time reading and just skip through the rest. Still SA remains my main source of information, really like (most of) the community and discussion going on here, it usually provides food for thoughts.

it was when he tried to twist some article to serve his own world view pissed me off.

the news feed was fine.

reckon he is waiting to be the lead troll on sailGP anarchy when it arrives so he can cheer on his hero...

1 hour ago, barfy said:

it was when he tried to twist some article to serve his own world view pissed me off.

Was there a time when he didn't? :ph34r:

Our views aligned with Larry vs Ernesto but not so much since.

Wow, just like a pub.

I had no idea Stingers had left the building.............

3 hours ago, paps49 said:

Wow, just like a pub.

Happy drunks, aggressive drunks,  friendly drunks,  mean drunks. Not however so many amorous drunks. 

• Like 2

Ok, quick question.

The chat about Dirk de Ridder and the Dutch team, pro or con.

He is from a sailing family in California or have I got the wrong dude?

Actually, just like a pub I think I just realised how silly the question was.