Sign in to follow this  
Grande Mastere Dreade

FFS power tools

what makes a power tool shit itself while not being used..    just finished building a planning jig for my router...  pick up the router to test a piece of scrap...  nada.. nothing..

try different plug..  nope..   bang the shit out of it.. still nothing..    it worked when last put up on the shelf..  

Corrosion from moisture in the air?

18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Corrosion from moisture in the air?

yeah maybe if my house was on the beach in florida...    not in the garage in dallas...   and what sucks is I built the jig for this router... the new one will have to fit..

12 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yeah maybe if my house was on the beach in florida...    not in the garage in dallas...   and what sucks is I built the jig for this router... the new one will have to fit..

older, or chinese import, machine might still have serviceable brushes.  If they are serviceable, pop them out and give them a brush with sandpaper.

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

older, or chinese import, machine might still have serviceable brushes.  If they are serviceable, pop them out and give them a brush with sandpaper.

if it was the brushes , i'd expect something, but not nothing...  worked fine last fall.. .  i'll take it apart and see what's going on.. 

First thing to try is, with the LEAD UNPLUGGED, grab the router chuck and rotate it.

Then fire it up and see if it goes.

Same with any power tool that has a commutator motor.

Cheers

pop the top off and hot wired it , motor fired up..  switch is bad..  unfortunately the trigger switch is no longer made and no replacements.. instead of replacing the switch i'm going to get a foot switch from harbor freight and hot wire the little bugger..

19 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

pop the top off and hot wired it , motor fired up..  switch is bad..  unfortunately the trigger switch is no longer made and no replacements.. instead of replacing the switch i'm going to get a foot switch from harbor freight and hot wire the little bugger..

makes sense, i guess in a way that's how my little router table works. switch on the table becomes the power switch...

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Same thing just happened to my 25-year old Makita heat gun; works fine except for the switch which ust failed. Not going to put a foot switch on a heat gun; time for a new one.

9 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Same thing just happened to my 25-year old Makita heat gun; works fine except for the switch which ust failed. Not going to put a foot switch on a heat gun; time for a new one.

A decent heat gun costs >$100. Just bypass the switch. Takes all of 5 minutes. The plug is the switch.

9 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

i also ordered a Milwaukee router....       before I found the bad switch..  the B&D is a single speed rigid.. I may build it into a table.. 

what else can I do with a 15krpm 110v electric motor?  if it were DC i'd upgrade my trolling motor..

Monster remote control race car?

9 hours ago, IStream said:

A decent heat gun costs >$100. Just bypass the switch. Takes all of 5 minutes. The plug is the switch.

Turning it on/off all the time when stripping paint/varnish, shrinking heat-shrink, etc. Switch on the gun very useful.

I think I got my money's worth!

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

would need a long extension cord and some good driving skills..

Dragster then!

On 1/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if it was the brushes , i'd expect something, but not nothing...  worked fine last fall.. .  i'll take it apart and see what's going on.. 

U have teenagers??  Just askin.. ;)

30 minutes ago, shaggy said:

U have teenagers??  Just askin.. ;)

no..  just an old sealed switch that no one makes anymore and compatible ones are too big..  the trigger pull causes a inner contact to slide and evidently nothing is contacting..  

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i also ordered a Milwaukee router....       before I found the bad switch..  the B&D is a single speed rigid.. I may build it into a table.. 

what else can I do with a 15krpm 110v electric motor?  if it were DC i'd upgrade my trolling motor..

does the new motor have brushes? If so, it will work on AC or DC.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, gewoon ik said:

does the new motor have brushes? If so, it will work on AC or DC.

old motor?  probably...   what happens on dc... what's difference in rotation etc?