Sign in to follow this  
Shootist Jeff

FUCK!

Nairobi just had an Al Shabab terrorist attack on a luxury Hotel and office complex.  My wife is currently in Nairobi.  SHIT, SHIT SHIT!!!

14 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Hope it wasn't hers, Jeff.  

Fortunately no. After a bit of panic of her not answering the phone, she’s fine. She was working at the airport but drives right by that complex everyday. Saved by working long hours. 

So she’s safe for now but the longer term security implications have me concerned to say the least. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Fortunately no. After a bit of panic of her not answering the phone, she’s fine. She was working at the airport but drives right by that complex everyday. Saved by working long hours. 

So she’s safe for now but the longer term security implications have me concerned to say the least. 

As they should. Glad she checked in safe.

As an American passport holder, I just don't travel to the Mideast, I don't feel comfortable about it. 

Having said that, no where in the world is safe anymore.  The mayor of Gdansk, here in Poland was stabbed to death by a right week nut job at a nationwide charity event Sunday.  I passed through the area of the fatal Christmas market attack in Berlin in 2017, just an hour before it happened.  And of course there have been far too many attacks in the US in schools, concerts, movies, etc.  This crazy world is getting crazier all of the time.  

Oh man Jeff. Sorry for you and happy to hear she is safe. She should really get the fack out of there ASAP if at all possible.

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

She works for an airline? (Good to hear she's fine)

Man. that is not good. Glad she is safe. Echo the sentiments above. All the money and benefits in the world are not enough, if you are not around to spend it. ME is and will always be a sketchy place for US citizens. Granted people die everywhere, everyday, but you can minimize the risks.

Again, glad she is safe

WL

2 hours ago, Barnacle Balls said:

*Sigh*

They blow up so fast!

That is wildly inappropriate. So is my ROTFLMAO, tears in my eyes reaction!

WL

Good to know she is safe.  That she works in the airport in Nairobi is very interesting....

3 hours ago, J28 said:

Good to know she is safe.  That she works in the airport in Nairobi is very interesting....

My wife almost took the job as airport manager in Nairobi for VA..... But she had the wrong accent.....

9 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Part of the overseas gig at times.  Just the way it’s always been. 

Glad to hear your wife is safe and sound. As you say, maybe time for quick security review. You must have good guys out there for intel etc. Especially after the last decade or two. 

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

...no where in the world is safe anymore

That's why it doesn't matter where you go nowadays. Just...go.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the well wishes.  We are currently evaluating the personal security situation to see if a continued stay is tenable.  We have taken specific precaution protocols and will look at even more in the wake of this.  But as others have said, this could happen as easily at a mall, school or concert in the US as it could in downtown Nairobi.  Living in fear is no way to live.  I am a firm believer if its your time, it's your time.  

BTW - you guys DO know that Nairobi is in Kenya and Kenya is not in the ME, right?  Just saying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Thanks for all the well wishes.  We are currently evaluating the personal security situation to see if a continued stay is tenable.  We have taken specific precaution protocols and will look at even more in the wake of this.  But as others have said, this could happen as easily at a mall, school or concert in the US as it could in downtown Nairobi.  Living in fear is no way to live.  I am a firm believer if its your time, it's your time.  

BTW - you guys DO know that Nairobi is in Kenya and Kenya is not in the ME, right?  Just saying.

Yeah...but they have a history of fuck'n shit up in Africa too...

back to the ME...this just happened 

https://www.france24.com/en/20190116-islamic-state-group-claims-deadly-suicide-attack-us-led-coalition-patrol

19 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Jomo Kenyata Int Airport.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:41 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

I thought it was in Hawaii. Glad to hear the Bride is safe mate.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

I know where Nairobi is, my sister and her husband lived in Kenya for 2 years.  I realized after I posted that there might be some confusion, but I was referring to the fact that you lived in the Mid East, a part of the world that I have no burning desire to see.  Most places in Africa are also on that list for any number of reasons.  The world has become a dangerous place, but some places, in my opinion are dangerous enough to just avoid them entirely.  As a former soldier, I always maintain situational awareness.  As we said in the Army, 'stay alert, stay alive'.  In my opinion, avoiding known problem areas entirely is far better than trying to escape when the shit hits the fan.

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I know where Nairobi is, my sister and her husband lived in Kenya for 2 years.  I realized after I posted that there might be some confusion, but I was referring to the fact that you lived in the Mid East, a part of the world that I have no burning desire to see.  Most places in Africa are also on that list for any number of reasons.  The world has become a dangerous place, but some places, in my opinion are dangerous enough to just avoid them entirely.  As a former soldier, I always maintain situational awareness.  As we said in the Army, 'stay alert, stay alive'.  In my opinion, avoiding known problem areas entirely is far better than trying to escape when the shit hits the fan.

Yeah, I hear ya soaks.  I'm the same way and feel the same.  But on the other hand, the entire world is a dangerous place no matter where you go.  You can as easily be killed in a country bar in CA or a concert in Vegas and Paris as you can in a hotel in Nairobi or Bali.  Or a street market in Nice or Berlin.  

IMHO, the world is a huge fascinating place and even the dangerous areas offer some amazing places to go see.  Of course there is "stupid dangerous" like hiking in Iraq on the Iranian border in the middle of a war.  Or going to Syria, Libya or places in the lawless areas of Pakishitistan.  But other places on the globe are amazing AND dangerous.  Life is too short to limit yourself to only the pristine, safe and boring places.  Just saying....

SA is the key.

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yeah, I hear ya soaks.  I'm the same way and feel the same.  But on the other hand, the entire world is a dangerous place no matter where you go.  You can as easily be killed in a country bar in CA or a concert in Vegas and Paris as you can in a hotel in Nairobi or Bali.  Or a street market in Nice or Berlin.  

IMHO, the world is a huge fascinating place and even the dangerous areas offer some amazing places to go see.  Of course there is "stupid dangerous" like hiking in Iraq on the Iranian border in the middle of a war.  Or going to Syria, Libya or places in the lawless areas of Pakishitistan.  But other places on the globe are amazing AND dangerous.  Life is too short to limit yourself to only the pristine, safe and boring places.  Just saying....

SA is the key.

I can see your point and when I was young I didn't mind that sort of thing.  Now that I am a few years into my 6th decade and have a couple of grandkids, I don't mind a quieter life.  My doctor told me he figured out my health problems.  He said I have lived a life equal to 2 normal peoples lives, so I am now 126 years old and no wonder I am falling apart.  Maybe he's on to something there.  Besides, Poland isn't quite pristine and not at all boring (Polish women!).  As far as safety, the drivers here aren't great so there's that.