A guy in the Chesapeake

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance

Please don't turn this into a PA post - I want to share something I heard about on NPR this morning.  

As everyone likely knows, the USCG, being under the auspices of DHS, isn't being paid during the shutdown.   There is a Not for Profit established to provide relief to Coasties in need. This payday?  There's a whole bunch more than normal.   

I made a small donation at http://www.cgmahq.org/    this morning, and my intent in sharing this is to bring awareness in the hopes that others take advantage of the opportunity to help too. 

Thanks........I will as well. Must be tough for them. Appreciate your posting this.

I heard in the news this morning that the USCG has missed their first check either yesterday or today.

Not making light of this all but it is not as if they have been without pay for a protracted amount of time.

This applies to all government employees. First missed pay for most was last Friday.

Curiously I understand that the US government has actually issued checks..... in the amount of $0.00, Only a government entity could do such a thing. What a frakin waste of OUR money. Shut a third of the government down over a 5 billion dollars request for border barrier funding and spend 30 billion and counting. 

Sorry, I understand that OP wishes this not to devolve into politics, but it is all about politics, bad politics.

Young families tend to live from paycheck to paycheck. The second missed one will be huge. I was furloughed in the 2013 shutdown. Just pissed me off to be governed by an incompetent board of 535 directors (Senate + House if anyone's counting) so I left government after spending a mid career decade in a Federal agency. I used to donate to the Coasties through the combined federal campaign. If a corporate board did this they'd all be canned. And if they forced employees to work without pay they'd get sued too. 

Just donated, thanks for the reminder.

Is congress and senate getting paid/benefits while this is going down?  Seems like they shouldn't... nor back pay.

They were elected (and paid) to govern.

I say that each elected official who is party to this disgrace should be forced to pay for and pack lunches for the coasties.  And none of that healthy vegan stuff.  Bacon sammies and homemade brownies.  

In california, there is outreach to coasties for food stamps.

thanks for the link

In california, there is outreach to coasties for food stamps.

thanks for the link

26 minutes ago, Windward said:

Is congress and senate getting paid/benefits while this is going down?  Seems like they shouldn't... nor back pay.

They were elected (and paid) to govern.

I say that each elected official who is party to this disgrace should be forced to pay for and pack lunches for the coasties.  And none of that healthy vegan stuff.  Bacon sammies and homemade brownies.  

Congress by law gets paid during shutdowns. 

1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Congress by law gets paid during shutdowns. 

Oh FFS, who made a stupid law like that? 

Great idea. I just made a donation.

• Like 1

Im not making light either, the whole thing sucks.  But who contributed to the local construction worker who got snowed out last week? Or the laid off iron worker? Or the single mom scraping by who lost her job due to outsourcing overseas?  They don't get back pay. No work, no pay.

Denver is offering to pay mortgages for furloughed federal employees, up to 2 months and 5,000. For free, they dont have to pay it back. Even when they get back pay.

Again, not making light but come on. Nobody ever paid my mortgage when I was out of work.

Flame on

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Im not making light either, the whole thing sucks.  But who contributed to the local construction worker who got snowed out last week? Or the laid off iron worker? Or the single mom scraping by who lost her job due to outsourcing overseas?  They don't get back pay. No work, no pay.

Denver is offering to pay mortgages for furloughed federal employees, up to 2 months and 5,000. For free, they dont have to pay it back. Even when they get back pay.

Again, not making light but come on. Nobody ever paid my mortgage when I was out of work.

Flame on

I think the angle here on SA is an appreciation of the Coasties. Denver may actually be prohibited from paying certain Feds, particularly if their jobs involve making decisions relative to Denver's interest. It gets crazy complicated.

I appreciate the coasties, the ATC folks, and even the minimum wage TSA grunts. Anyone who does a tough job for low wages and is forced to work without a paycheck is really getting a dry hind tit right now.

As for action, I'm sending my opinions to Mitch McConnell's office since he's the one preventing a vote in the Senate that could resolve the situation. Just let 'em vote, Mitch. 

• Like 1

A restaurant here, Dank Burrito,  in CG country offers half off during the shutdown to personnel.

Navy Federal is providing interest free loans by crediting the standard direct deposits for members impacted by the shutdown. 

To Bam’s point, a lot of contractors filling the staff and blue collar workforce are not working and won’t get back pay. No provision in the contract to bill for hours not worked and the margins are pretty thin so the companies providing those services can’t suck up more than a few days on overhead so this folks are likely in a LWOP status. Since a zero pay check can’t cover benefit deductions, they are going to have to dig into their pockets to pay employee share costs for medical, dental, etc. 

Ever since Clinton and Grigrich discovers that shutdowns are effective political tools, it’s become easier and easier for a fight between congress (at least one house) and the Executive to devolve to this. The public won’t hold them accountable for shutdowns and they know it.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

Great idea. I just made a donation.

Ditto.  Semper Paratus..

22 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Likely, Congress.......   the same people who gave them free health care and lifetime pensions pretty much irregardless of service terms.  As far as I'm concerned, a 28th Amendment should read that No member of Congress shall enjoy greater benefits in pay, health care, or pension greater than that of 89% of the populace governed.

20 hours ago, bmiller said:

Flame on

No flames from me. Mr Miller - you're right, as was Naptime w/his reference to a waterman's appreciation for the coast guard.  

1 hour ago, atoyot said:

Likely, Congress.......   the same people who gave them free health care and lifetime pensions pretty much irregardless of service terms.  As far as I'm concerned, a 28th Amendment should read that No member of Congress shall enjoy greater benefits in pay, health care, or pension greater than that of 89% of the populace governed.

You do realize that Congress has the same choice of health insurance plans, at the same cost as any civil service employee.  I am no fan of those spineless ass wipes but I am tired of hearing that old, false meme.  Their pay, while not terrible isn't that great either considering the cost of living in DC and that most of them maintain a residence in their home state as well.  The real money come from the lobbyists, and other influence groups, not from their salary and benefits.  And then if they retire or lose the next election, they go to work as a lobbyist or 'consultant' and perpetuate the endless circle jerk.

Just got a note from here in town on a community bulletin board. We live next to a navy base and the person who runs the housing says they have a number of USCG families assigned there who are beginning to feel the crunch badly......call is for diapers, groceries, baby food, gas for cars. Our community is leaning into the request pretty well. Can't help everyone.........but we can help some.

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

You do realize that Congress has the same choice of health insurance plans, at the same cost as any civil service employee.  I am no fan of those spineless ass wipes but I am tired of hearing that old, false meme.  Their pay, while not terrible isn't that great either considering the cost of living in DC and that most of them maintain a residence in their home state as well.  The real money come from the lobbyists, and other influence groups, not from their salary and benefits.  And then if they retire or lose the next election, they go to work as a lobbyist or 'consultant' and perpetuate the endless circle jerk.

Close.   The reason so many hate Obamacare is because it dropped them to mere government level healthcare.   They went from a Bugatti to a Cadillac, and try to screw up the rest of us on bicycles for revenge.

edit..   I retract this truth in the interest of avoiding PA.  Bring stuck on a bicycle, I refuse to go further.  

FEDERAL EMPLOYEES will get Every penny owed them wither they go to work or not

those working a 2nd job shall be Double Dipping, pocketing the side money in addition to Full Wages

I would be happy to send $ome Koin to the Coasties  or whoever to help them in a time of need

I had two tenants who USBP Agents with less than 5 years service Each made $100,00 a year 5 years ago - I Do Not

IF there was a Help Escrow That would distribute my help and then reimburse me out of Back Pay Checks ... I Would Help those forced to work with Pay Held-Up

No One is Working for FREE & No One is being held off the job for FREE ......... they are just having Pay held till the Pissing contest is settled

Those not working should get unemployment & have it deducted from Back Pay

Those working Side jobs should have That deducted from Back Pay

Those Calling in Sick (tsa etc) and working side jobs should be charged with Fraud

Got an actual live person thank you call from the Coasties. 

Getting back pay eventually doesn't pay the bills that are due now.

1 minute ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Got an actual live person thank you call from the Coasties. 

Getting back pay eventually doesn't pay the bills that are due now.

Exactly why I would be willing to help out Now

But Come BackPay I would want PayBack

They All make Whey More than I do

1 minute ago, DA-WOODY said:

The Coasties don't have to pay me back. I used to work for the Feds mid career. I took a sig compensation cut when I went but the work was interesting. It's not really the picnic. They put up with a ton of crap and are subject to stuff that I never had to deal with in the private sector. On the other hand, I suppose the IRS could pay me back :D

• Like 1

Just how did Coast Guard Enlisted get put in non-essential? 

Here we go again. Fack the Enlisted!  Unlike the other mentioned Federal employees or Contractors or Coast Guard Officers the Enlisted will be persecuted if they call in sick or do anything even protest in the mildest way. 

The non serving in the military Supreme Court turned Enlisted into slaves with their disgusting non- decision in Emiliano Santiago’s case. Contracts mean NOTHING!!!!!    These people are slaves and will work for nothing. Failure to work will result in imprisonment, loss of  Enlisted rank or garnishment of future pay.  ( Likely a combination of all three)

All of the examples given have rights. For most other than CG Officers and Enlisted they can quit their job and seek employment elsewhere. This happens everyday. Nothing to see here folks. Perhaps many should do just that.

Regardless of your political beliefs the withholding of pay from those who cannot seek employment elsewhere should sicken you. 

What is your definition of a slave?

Emiliano Santiago- We did not want a draft so just Fack the Enlisted.  Keep them past the Eight years of service they signed up for due to “National Emergency” Keep them indefinitely. Contracts do not matter. Slavery lives! 

This is is a good cause I am going to donate and you should too.

Somebody....anybody ...tell me I am wrong that Enlisted were not paid. 

Kent H

USNR

Very Active Duty 1986-92 

I remember living paycheck to paycheck, not only in the US Nav where I made $288 a month, but for a number of years afterwards. I had very little in my savings as it was all committed to living. You go to work each day, do your best and expect to at least be able to buy food, diapers and gas. For the ordinary federal employee the question is now simply.....how will I buy groceries? 

I don’t care if they get a little ahead when they finally receive back pay. Small compensation for having your family’s well being held hostage for a political argument/showdown. 

I will help because I stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before and proudly will reach out to lessen the burden of those who serve and help.

It’s about people.

CG Station is a cross the street from my club. Qwe started a fund last week.

13 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I sincerely doubt that the majority of the Active Duty USCG members are making the kind of coin that you mentioned, Woody. Some of the higher-level civilian employees w/clearances?  Perhaps, but, those aren't the focus of this effort, it's the young, mostly under 30 families who are still climbing the ranks.  E5 pay doesn't go very far, especially w/rent and a kid or two. 

• Like 1

Okay, this is further good news:

united states coast guard

R 181702 JAN 19
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-1//
TO ALCOAST
UNCLAS //N07220//
ALCOAST 013/19
COMDTNOTE 7220
SUBJ:  UPDATE TO EXPANDED CGMA LOAN LIMITS AND PROCESS
A. ALCOAST 434/18 COAST GUARD MUTUAL ASSISTANCE (CGMA) AVAILABILITY DURING THE LAPSE
IN DHS APPROPRIATIONS
B. ALCOAST 012/19 EXPANDED LIMITS TO CGMA LOANS DURING LAPSE IN APPROPRIATIONS
1. This notice announces a further increase to Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA) interest
free loans. As donations continue to pour in to CGMA, we will continue to evaluate the maximum
amount that a member may borrow. There is no limit to the number of loans that a member may
request from CGMA; only a total loan ceiling.
2. Updated total limit for CGMA lapse assistance interest-free loans:
   a. Up to $1500 for personnel with dependents;
   b. Up to $1000 for personnel without dependents;
   c. An unchanged condition is that if individual circumstances dictate, any person may apply
for funds in excess of the established limits (a-b above). They must personally visit a local
CGMA representative to complete the full application process.
3. Procedures: Procedures for both requesting a loan and recoupment remain the same.

4. Current lapse in appropriations information can be found at: www.dcms.uscg.mil/budget,

this site contains authoritative documents, Frequently Asked Questions, an interactive mailbox,
a Resources Guide, a helpline, and other useful information. As always, CG SUPRT is available to

help (1-855-CG SUPRT (247-8778)) https://www.cgsuprt.com/.

5. For more information on how to receive assistance, please see your local CGMA representatives.
6. RDML Matthew Sibley, Acting Assistant Commandant for Human Resources, sends.
7. Internet release is authorized.

Bookmark and Share

Coast Guard emblem 2014

Questions for the Coast Guard?
   Contact Us

For more Coast Guard news, visit our online newsroom here. 

STAY CONNECTED:

Visit Us on YouTube

Visit Us on Twitter

Visit Us on Facebook

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
Manage Preferences  |  Unsubscribe  |  Help

Privacy Policy | GovDelivery is providing this information on behalf of U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and may not use the information for any other purposes.

This email was sent to forbes@chaffe.com

This email was sent to forbes@chaffe.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: U.S. Coast Guard · U.S. Department of Homeland Security · Washington, DC 20528 · 800-439-1420

GovDelivery logo

track?enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwMTE4LjMyMTYxMSZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9TURCLVBSRC1CVUwtMjAxOTAxMTguMzIxNjExJmRhdGFiYXNlaWQ9MTAwMSZ0eXBlPW9wZW4mc2VyaWFsPTE3MjIzMDAxJmVtYWlsaWQ9Zm9yYmVzQGNoYWZmZS5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWZvcmJlc0BjaGFmZmUuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=

Coast guard is under homeland security in spite of have USCG.MIL on their internet address.

Not sure why, as many are deployed around the world guarding tankers in the Persian gulf etc.

Maybe because they save folks inland after hurricanes, but I digress..

Coasties do not make much.

Here is the current pay scale:

https://www.military-ranks.org/coast-guard-pay

those e1-e3s with 2-3 years are pulling down 20-25K.

You going to work for that scratch where you are away from home and go to work including when Mother Nature wants to kill you?

Not a lot to raise a young family on, especially since they are not living near parents and being moved every 2 years unlike TSA or other departments who have a chance to establish roots.

You have to feel for the poor wife with a baby or 2, the husband is 4000 miles away, and there is zip in the checking account.

One thing to be single, live in the barracks and eat at the mess hall.

But the families are not allowed to.  Sure they get a housing pay, BUT NOT RIGHT NOW.

I contacted a USCG station station earlier in the week to find out I can do to help.  Was informed me 3 ways anyone who wishes to help can.

1. For physical donations of food, diapers, or toiletries, you can drop them off at CG Station c/o Chief Petty Officer Association.   The station will then distribute the foodstuffs.

2. For cash donations, you can give to Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Foundation.  Their web site is WWW.CGMAHQ.ORG   .   They have a screen to donate with multiple ways to help.

3. An alternative place to donate is The Coast Guard Foundation.   WWW.COASTGUARDFOUNDATION.ORG .

If giving money, best to go for the CG Mutual Assistance Foundation as they are the ones giving out loans.

To stem the grief immediately, I went route #1.  Made up 10 bags of non-perishable food and gift cards to allow the family to buy fresh veggies and meats.  Each bag is good for 4-5 days for a family of 4.

Also picked up a couple packages of disposable diapers in various sizes for families with babies.

Call the station first and to explain what you are up to first if you go this route.  Usually there is a Chief Petty Officer who can coordinate with you.  Then call the station telling them you are on your way to ensure you are not going to interfere with something going on.

Most stations have a security gate, but due to those calls you made, the chief petty officer will be expecting you.  I drove up and the chief was waiting for me.  Accepted my donation on behalf of the Chief Petty Officer Association and then directed a crew to unload my car in short order.

Great to see a group of young men and women with their shit together and they were most appreciative.  I thanked them right back for their service.

To take care of folks in need is a no brainer.  And these are the folks who come save your ass at 2am when you hit a container and the bilge pump is not keeping up, or a major storm just trashed your rig and the motor just shit the bed 20 miles out in 30 foot seas.  Your chance to pay it forward and hopefully never need to collect.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:05 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

Ever since Clinton and Grigrich discovers that shutdowns are effective political tools, it’s become easier and easier for a fight between congress (at least one house) and the Executive to devolve to this. The public won’t hold them accountable for shutdowns and they know it.  

And this^^ is what I don't get.  WHY does the public not hold them accountable??  Voters are our own worst enemy and we get what we deserve.  GIGO.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 3:05 PM, bmiller said:

Flame on

Also, Federal contractors don't get paid, and they don't usually get back pay, unlike the actual Federal employees. In many cases, the Federal contractor does the identical work, has the same security clearance, and sits right next to the Federal employee. But since the contractor works for a private company rather than the government, they don't get that student loan forgiveness, or the help you describe above, or Federal employee union help.

In a previous shutdown, the Feds I knew got two additional weeks of paid vacation after the shutdown ended, and the contractors were just shit-out-of-luck for that two weeks pay.

11 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

And this^^ is what I don't get.  WHY does the public not hold them accountable??  Voters are our own worst enemy and we get what we deserve.  GIGO.

We absolutely do hold them accountable ... for the length of our attention span. In this age of digital immediacy, that equates to about 18 days. And then we forget all about it.

The larger problem isn't the shutdown, it's that our collective memory is correlated to the lifespan of a gnat.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 8:06 AM, Foreverslow said:

Coast guard is under homeland security in spite of have USCG.MIL on their internet address.

Not sure why, as many are deployed around the world guarding tankers in the Persian gulf etc.

USCG is  paid using the same pay chart as the military forces.  Just sayin'.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:07 PM, Lark said:

Close.   The reason so many hate Obamacare is because it dropped them to mere government level healthcare.   They went from a Bugatti to a Cadillac, and try to screw up the rest of us on bicycles for revenge.

edit..   I retract this truth in the interest of avoiding PA.  Bring stuck on a bicycle, I refuse to go further.  

Yes, though my point was that a good chunk (not necessarily "89%" but the point remains) of the US public has lousy to mediocre health care, and that in my opinion the public should be as well covered as those who write and pass bills that spend my other [non-health care] money & are in a position to create nationalized health care.

A simplification and expansion of Medicare would probably cost the consumer less in tax burden than the average health plan does, and anybody who needs medical treatment will receive it. We cover the public's need for air traffic control, highways, confirmation of measurement accuracy, and police and fire protection the same way and even provide free security protection to a major industry for cheap energy from around the world - so ts not as if we don't have the means to handle the logistics.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:05 PM, Ed Lada said:

in theory (THEORY!) it prevents rich congressmen from shitting on the poor  ones, "won't my way? fuck you, have fun not getting paid - i can stomach it for years!". In theory. 

5 hours ago, atoyot said:

Yes, though my point was that a good chunk (not necessarily "89%" but the point remains) of the US public has lousy to mediocre health care, and that in my opinion the public should be as well covered as those who write and pass bills that spend my other [non-health care] money & are in a position to create nationalized health care.

A simplification and expansion of Medicare would probably cost the consumer less in tax burden than the average health plan does, and anybody who needs medical treatment will receive it. We cover the public's need for air traffic control, highways, confirmation of measurement accuracy, and police and fire protection the same way and even provide free security protection to a major industry for cheap energy from around the world - so ts not as if we don't have the means to handle the logistics.

The problem is that the health insurance companies, big pharma, and the AMA are against such a thing.  And they have immense lobbying power. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:
On 1/19/2019 at 2:06 AM, Foreverslow said:

USCG is  paid using the same pay chart as the military forces.  Just sayin'.

No excuse for not paying folks who are working but other pay factors are't reflected in these numbers.  

Generally, E-1-E-3 are not married and live in barracks with  a subsistence allowance for food so income after taxes is pretty much all discretionary.  Getting married that early is somewhat discouraged in the same way that most of us would discourage a son or daughter right out of high school in an entry level, unskilled position from taking on family responsibilities.  Those that are married get a subsistence payment for food and either provided family quarters or a housing allowance that attempts to cover average rent and utilities.  Both of those allowances are tax free.  For an E-1 to E-3 at Cape Disappointment (Columbia River Bar) the housing allowance is $975/month for a single and $1299 if married/has dependents.  Subsistence allowance (food)  is $369/month. That $20,000 annual taxable income has an additional $16-$20K in non taxed allowances.  Starting "total military compensation is closer to $40K with about 50% of that untaxed.  Medical/dental provided at no cost.  

As an aside, I never felt richer that when I was a single E-3 living in the barracks in the early 70's (when military pay really sucked).  Outside of car payment and insurance and a small savings deposit, the rest was "walking around money"  and I had fun as long as the wallet had something in it.  Much later, as a senior 0-6, I made a lot more on paper but with 2 in college, house and boat expenses plus trying to sock something away to supplement the eventual pension, my budget felt a lot more stressed.  

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

No excuse for not paying folks who are working but other pay factors are't reflected in these numbers.  

Generally, E-1-E-3 are not married and live in barracks with  a subsistence allowance for food so income after taxes is pretty much all discretionary.  Getting married that early is somewhat discouraged in the same way that most of us would discourage a son or daughter right out of high school in an entry level, unskilled position from taking on family responsibilities.  Those that are married get a subsistence payment for food and either provided family quarters or a housing allowance that attempts to cover average rent and utilities.  Both of those allowances are tax free.  For an E-1 to E-3 at Cape Disappointment (Columbia River Bar) the housing allowance is $975/month for a single and $1299 if married/has dependents.  Subsistence allowance (food)  is $369/month. That $20,000 annual taxable income has an additional $16-$20K in non taxed allowances.  Starting "total military compensation is closer to $40K with about 50% of that untaxed.  Medical/dental provided at no cost.  

As an aside, I never felt richer that when I was a single E-3 living in the barracks in the early 70's (when military pay really sucked).  Outside of car payment and insurance and a small savings deposit, the rest was "walking around money"  and I had fun as long as the wallet had something in it.  Much later, as a senior 0-6, I made a lot more on paper but with 2 in college, house and boat expenses plus trying to sock something away to supplement the eventual pension, my budget felt a lot more stressed.  

Yeah, of course they should be getting paid.  

I am glad that as a  fellow Vet you agree military pay is pretty good when you count everything.  I never felt underpaid, especially my second time around.  I first enlisted in 1974 and I found an old LES from 1975.  I took home $318.00 a month as a single E-2 (I should have been an E-3 by then but...) in Germany, living in the barracks.  I worked in the mess hall so hunger was never a problem.  I was discharged in 1976, I went back in the Army from 1988-1994 (medical discharge).  As an E-5 I was living large in Japan with nice on post housing and an additional $500.00 a month in COLA.  By then I was married and my daughter was born there as well.  

I get a little tired of hearing how poorly military members are paid.  How many jobs can an 18 year old kid with no skills and a high school diploma walk into with excellent paid technical training, and with decent pay and benefits like that plus 30 days paid vacation from the get go.  The military pay is just fine, it isn't the kind of job you take to get rich anyway.  

LES.jpg

Guys

Like you I also proudly served my county, hence my empathy for them.

Even wrote one of the first automated base housing software packages in 1978.

This is not about what they make or skill sets or or corporate layoffs or political ideology.

It is the fact there are young enlisted families just getting by, with no savings and they have been cut off.
Many CG stations do not have base housing.  So the married members have to pay rent.

They always have our back and reassure us the cavalry is on the way when things go pear shaped on the high seas.

What can we do to have theirs?

1 time deal to show you actually do appreciate their efforts.

Pay if forward if you can.  But do not lessen their plight by changing the discussion.

Thanks

• Like 1

they should charge $1,000 a day to be USCG Augzillery