ProRailMeat

Top 10 Most Prestigious Trophies in Sailing Today?

I was thinking

1. America's Cup

2. Volvo

3. Olympic Gold

4. 52 Super Series

5. World Match Racing Tour

6. Sydney to Hobart 

7. Extreme Sailing Series

8. Route du Rhum

9. Transpac

10. Transatlantic

I'm sure everyone here thinks my list fucking blows, so lets see some opinions.

Not a bad list but lose Transpac and Transat.

Add Vendee Globe and Fastnet

• Like 4

The Neptune trophy! constantly raced for since 1890

Neptune 1.10.pdf

1. America's Cup

2. Volvo

3. Olympic Gold

4. 52 Super Series

5. Congressional Cup

6. Vendee Globe 

7. Route du Rhum

8. Sydney to Hobart (Overall, not Line Honors)

9. Fastnet (Overall, not Line Honors)

10. Etchells World Championships

the appropriate formula is the total average cost to compete, including all development,  build or market values as well as prep & participation  costs divided by the number of starters

You need to add:

1. The Careel 18 National Championships.

2. The NSW Maricat state championships.

Don't care about the others!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1. Americas Cup

2. Trophee Jules Verne

3. Olympic Games

4. Vendee Globe

5. Fully Crewed Ocean Race

6. TP52 Super Series

7. Route du Rum

8. Sydney to Hobart

9. J/70 World Championships

10. Extreme Sailing Series

2 hours ago, ProRailMeat said:

I was thinking

1. America's Cup

2. Volvo

3. Olympic Gold

4. 52 Super Series

5. World Match Racing Tour

6. Sydney to Hobart 

7. Extreme Sailing Series

8. Route du Rhum

9. Transpac

10. Transatlantic

I'm sure everyone here thinks my list fucking blows, so lets see some opinions.

no one really cares about 4, 5, 7 and 10 except the people involved.

Vendee and Jules Verne should be on the list

Sydney Hobart Maxi division - no nav gear on is a special new category for this lineup. 

• Like 1

1. I stomped your dick singlehanded in O/D.

2. Me and my mate stomped your dick in doublehanded O/D.

3. Me and my mates stomped your dick in a coastal race, sometimes to an island no one really wants to go to.

4. Me and my mates stomped your dick racing around a rock no one really wants to go around.

5. Me and my mates stomped your dick racing around the world at great expense.

6. I stomped your dick racing around the world non stop at great expense.

7. I stomped your dick racing around the word non stop in a multihull at great expense.

8. I/we stomped your dick racing in a class no one cares about in a corrupt international competition to satisfy the IOC.

8. Me and my mates stomped your dick racing expensive rating yachts around small floaties at various defunct events around the world.

9. Me and my mates stomped your dick and drank champagne while racing super expensive shiny yachts, that really shouldn't be raced, in exotic locations.

10. I didn't stomp your dick, but I did pay a crap load of money to have my top pro's stomp the dicks of your top pro's in boats no-one other than really top pro's will ever sail, for a mug that isn't even a mug.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jackolantern said:

1. America's Cup

2. Volvo

3. Olympic Gold

4. 52 Super Series

5. Congressional Cup

6. Vendee Globe 

7. Route du Rhum

8. Sydney to Hobart (Overall, not Line Honors)

9. Fastnet (Overall, not Line Honors)

10. Etchells World Championships

LOL, spoken like a true LBYC homer. Con Cup over  the WMRT??

3 hours ago, rgeek said:

1. Americas Cup

2. Trophee Jules Verne

3. Olympic Games

4. Vendee Globe

5. Fully Crewed Ocean Race

6. TP52 Super Series

7. Route du Rum

8. Sydney to Hobart

9. J/70 World Championships

10. Extreme Sailing Series

Spoken like a true euro sailor. I'm thinking from france.

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

When we were all young and beautiful you were my kind of guy:

8. Me and my mates stomped your dick racing expensive rating yachts around small floaties at various defunct events around the world. <3

9. Me and my mates stomped your dick and drank champagne while racing super expensive shiny yachts, that really shouldn't be raced, in exotic locations. <3<3

Now I am young and beautiful and you are quite old, but you did say you have a crap load of money: <3<3<3

10. I didn't stomp your dick, but I did pay a crap load of money to have my top pro's stomp the dicks of your top pro's in boats no-one other than really top pro's will ever sail, for a mug that isn't even a mug.

-------------

PS Look at avatar I am a she

1 hour ago, SailChiTown said:

LOL, spoken like a true LBYC homer. Con Cup over  the WMRT??

Ha. You will never convince me that Catamarans can be match raced 

3 hours ago, SailChiTown said:

Spoken like a true euro sailor. I'm thinking from france.

More an indication of the power of French sailing at the moment 

ESS and WMRT are non-events and the AC is becoming that way with the arms race and lack of actual sailing that takes place in it.

RdR, 52 Series, Star series, Vendee, Volvo and depending on where you based; the Fastnet, TransPac, China Coast Regatta, Hobart, Giraglia.....or your home club annual regatta.

Just 'cos you've got big expensive boats doesn't make it prestigious...

The Three Rivers race,  http://www.3rr.uk/

The Round the Island race,  http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/code/php/main_c.php?section=home

The WLYC 24 hour race, https://wlyc.org.uk/24-hour-race

The Gold Cup https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/ian-tims-in-a-class-of-his-own-to-take-honours-at-wroxham-week-1-5132124

Look, I'm a club racing hack from Lake Erie.

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one trophy left that I would like to win.

The Claire

Named after Mrs. Claire Titgemeyer and that's all I really need to say about that.

• Like 1

While not the list of the worlds most prestigious sailing events, Time Magazine has just published the most successful Top 10 Technological Failures of all time.

Remarkably a sailboat race that figures in most people's Top 10 prestigious sailing, actually takes Gold in the Technological Failure Top 10.

That is fucking spooky.

Top 10 Technological Failures

1. TV Test Pattern Fries Marine Safety Gear

2. Harley Davidson Cologne

3. The DeLorean

4. Brewed Coffee in a Box

5. New Coke

6. Smith & Western Bicycles

7. Smokeless Cigarettes

8. Ben Gay Asprin

9. Astro Pants

10. Janet Jackson's Nip Slip

IMG_20190116_203722.thumb.jpg.a181064aa041a334d6cd9f404f9407e6.jpg

Fleet and match racing are obviously important. However, any such list should include at least one team racing trophy, of which the most prestigious example would be the Cumberland Cup.

CCLogo.jpg

If there is room for two team racing events, add the Cornerstone Cup. While less than ten years' old, competition is restricted to the world's four most exclusive yacht clubs so it has to rank well up on the 'prestige' scale (for whatever that's worth!).

• Like 1

How could I forget... The Ramuz Trophy presented 1950, interclub team racing in Norfolk and Suffolk. the only year I competed in it was 40knots on the river at my home club...

And it's my privilege to race in the Martin Dugdale Trophy, presented By his family,, he at a young age was taken ill while racing and collapsed in the club car park.. His Widow, children and now grand children attend to present the trophy each year.

505 worlds has the make the list and the 18 season champions 

The Jester Medal is no joke either

You call this a serious "Best of" list?

How could you possibly leave out the coveted Third Place on PHD in the Brisvegas to Keppel race?

Jules Verne

Multihull solo

Vendee

R2AK

round Bowen island

This dude won a significant trophy 

salma-hayek-photo-u258?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg

• Like 2

I think the former Ms Bezos outdid almost all gold diggers....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JMOD said:

added together..

1. America's Cup - most prestigious match race

2. Olympic Gold - most prestigious dinghy fleet

3. Vendee Globe - most prestigious offshore solo

4. Volvo - most prestigious offshore team

5. 52 Super Series - most prestigious inshore fleet

6-9. Sydney to Hobart  / Fastnet / Transatlantic / Route du Rhum  - solo and team offshore, hard to pick apart

10. Laser Worlds - largest participation sailing class

Notable mentions:

- world match racing tour, but I feel it's had a fall from grace recently. It's just not got the continuity of high level

- JJ, it's about the coolest long running event for skiff sailing. But just lack the international element to really be top 10.

- team racing worlds, just a bit too niche. 

- Whichever is the most popular small keel boat of the time. The issue is, this changes quite often and the most recent examples don't have quite the history yet. 

- Finn Gold Cup, fantastic longevity. But, I just don't it as ruthless as the Laser. Maybe just because of the ease Ben and Giles dropped back in and won with. 

- Moth and A-Class. Recently they've been pretty hot, but it's not always been that way

- Jules Verne... just more of a record than trophy where you're competing directly against others. With the advance of technology it's hard to put in context the achievements of past with present holders. But, without doubt the most important record in offshore sailing. 

Edit to say Star Sailors League... it's just too young. 

1 hour ago, JMOD said:

That's weird that is the same surname of my new girl friend MacKenzie. Can't be her, all she has is shares in some bookstore.

18 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

How could you possibly leave out the coveted Third Place on PHD in the Brisvegas to Keppel race?

I didn't even get close :(

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Soley said:

Not a bad list but lose Transpac

Gotta have the Barn Door on the list!

Agree with Fastnet, though.

I'd say Olympic Gold, although clearly a major win, is different enough from being a "major trophy" that it doesn't really fit on the list.  I think or prestigious trophies as the perpetual things that the winner's name gets engraved on. 

• Like 1

1. Olympic Gold

2. Volvo Ocean Race

3. America's Cup

4. Vendee Globe

5. Route du Rhum

6. La Solitaire

7. Moth Worlds

8. Star Sailors League Finals

9. Match Racing World Tour

10. Gold Cup

7 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

1. America's Cup - most prestigious match race

2. Olympic Gold - most prestigious dinghy fleet

3. Vendee Globe - most prestigious offshore solo

4. Volvo - most prestigious offshore team

5. 52 Super Series - most prestigious inshore fleet

6-9. Sydney to Hobart  / Fastnet / Transatlantic / Route du Rhum  - solo and team offshore, hard to pick apart

10. Laser Worlds - largest participation sailing class

Notable mentions:

- world match racing tour, but I feel it's had a fall from grace recently. It's just not got the continuity of high level

- JJ, it's about the coolest long running event for skiff sailing. But just lack the international element to really be top 10.

- team racing worlds, just a bit too niche. 

- Whichever is the most popular small keel boat of the time. The issue is, this changes quite often and the most recent examples don't have quite the history yet. 

- Finn Gold Cup, fantastic longevity. But, I just don't it as ruthless as the Laser. Maybe just because of the ease Ben and Giles dropped back in and won with. 

- Moth and A-Class. Recently they've been pretty hot, but it's not always been that way

- Jules Verne... just more of a record than trophy where you're competing directly against others. With the advance of technology it's hard to put in context the achievements of past with present holders. But, without doubt the most important record in offshore sailing. 

Edit to say Star Sailors League... it's just too young. 

Partly because Ben and Giles are just totally beyond the rest of us tactically. Other people (Max Salminen, Zsombor Berecz) can only win when Giles doesn't come and play.

1. Americas Cup

2. Olympic Gold

3. Volvo

4. Vendee Globe

5. 52 Super Series

6. S2H

7. Fastnet

8. WMRT

9. SSL

10. Jules Verne (feel like this ones gotta be included but not sure where so it goes to 10)

I dunno why everyone keeps listing AC and Volvo as 1 and 2. Far removed from the average sailor in many regards. All the "pro" series are. 

To me the hoot is taking a good crew with a well prep'd boat and surprising everyone.

2 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

I dunno why everyone keeps listing AC and Volvo as 1 and 2. Far removed from the average sailor in many regards. All the "pro" series are. 

To me the hoot is taking a good crew with a well prep'd boat and surprising everyone.

If this were about the "average sailor" it wouldn't be prestigious.

17 hours ago, VWAP said:

This dude won a significant trophy 

salma-hayek-photo-u258?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg

Dang, she was who I was thinking of when top 10 trophy came up.

7 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Nobody says "hoot" any more, and you don't get a trophy for "hooting".  At least I hope not.

48 minutes ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Who says yachting isn't elitist.

58 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

N2B  trophies should be right near the top...same with Fastnet trophy.............52SS is cool to watch but who gives a fuck about the trophy other than the owner. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dacapo said:

N2B  trophies should be right near the top...same with Fastnet trophy.............52SS is cool to watch but who gives a fuck about the trophy other than the owner. 

I licke thisse oune.................                          :)

IMGP0279-medium-init-.jpg

Brooklyne Ociene Challange Cup

13 hours ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Prestige has nothing to do with whether the sailor is average or not, It is the belief that in winning that trophy, you value it more than others.

To me, to win the 3 Rivers trophy would fit that bill, up to 150 boats not just from the UK, sailing for up to 24 hours on a difficult course.

A lot of the big name trophies in the first list, are won by those with the biggest budget, that to me is not prestige.. Many "average" sailors could win any of those trophies, if they had the time and Money..

2 hours ago, The Q said:

Prestige has nothing to do with whether the sailor is average or not, It is the belief that in winning that trophy, you value it more than others.

To me, to win the 3 Rivers trophy would fit that bill, up to 150 boats not just from the UK, sailing for up to 24 hours on a difficult course.

A lot of the big name trophies in the first list, are won by those with the biggest budget, that to me is not prestige.. Many "average" sailors could win any of those trophies, if they had the time and Money..

definitely disagree, the whole idea of the prestige is that a lot of other people also place tremendous value on the trophy. Local and regional races don't fit the bill in my eyes. 

16 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Dang, she was who I was thinking of when top 10 trophy came up.

What were the other 8?

3 hours ago, EastCoastHustle said:

The whole idea of the prestige is that a lot of other people also place tremendous value on the trophy. Local and regional races don't fit the bill in my eyes. 

I would agree. Prestige may be defined as high regard in the minds of (more or less ignorant, or at least impressionable) strangers.

This begs the question whether prestige has any true value. Do you really care what such people think? Shouldn’t your own informed opinions, and the respect of your family and friends, matter (much) more?

5 hours ago, The Q said:

Bullshit.  The prestige of those trophies mean that the best sailors are competing for them.

Yes, they also need the biggest budgets, but an above average sailor with a bigger budget would not have won the last Volvo...or even got around; an above average sailor with a big budget and 3 years training would not have won the AC, and an above average sailor with the biggest budget would not win the Vendee, or the Route du Rhum.  The sailors competing in those competitions are seriously frigging good at what they do...which is why the teams with the biggest budgets employ them...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Svanen said:

I would agree. Prestige may be defined as high regard in the minds of (more or less ignorant, or at least impressionable) strangers.

This begs the question whether prestige has any true value. Do you really care what such people think? Shouldn’t your own informed opinions, and the respect of your family and friends, matter (much) more?

Prestige is when a sailor turns up somewhere new and someone says (unprompted)- "Sh/He won the xxxxx in 20nn, you know!", and everyone in earshot turns for a second look before inviting them on board their boat/buying them a drink/discussing their achievement....

ie, the achievement of the win is enough to command wide respect.

Whether buying your way to the front of the fleet (in those fleets where it's possible to do so) counts is left as an exercise for the reader... clearly, however, there are few events where you can win without a budget of some description...

The event has to be widely enough known to be worthwhile, though: notoriety helps.

Cheers,

W.

3 hours ago, VWAP said:

What were the other 8?

Two of them were named Scarlett.  

th.jpeg

• Like 1

getImage.gif?ID=3306732The Mackinac Cup is not too shabby for a Division win in the Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac.

• Like 1

This is about "prestigious" trophies, which I don't give a shit about. Prestigious doesn't equate to "hardest to win" or "best racers".

Different threads which I would find more interesting:

1. Top 10 Most Competitive.
  2. Top 10 Most Interesting Races to Watch.
  3. Top 10 Most Technically Innovative.

Congressional Cup in Long Beach, California, certainly ranks as one of the more interesting races to watch. The competitors use the spectators' pier as an obstruction on which to wipe off their competitor. You can reach out and touch their shrouds as they swing past. You can see the entire course from the pier. The [slow] speed of the boats makes it easy to spot the tactics as they unfold. Boat-to-boat clearance is measured in millimeters. If you're near southern California, first week of April, treat yourself to a fun day or two.

I love the TP52 series because of the high level of competition and the technology. Interesting like America's Cup used to be. If I had advertising budget to throw around, I'd dump exposure on this series [<cough> Audi <cough>, Rolex, other high-end brands].

That's just two...

• Like 1

The Mac deserves a lot more respect than it receives. CYC is a great club; the racers are friendly, unpretentious people; Lake Michigan and Mackinac are fun; and the race itself is one of the oldest (perhaps the oldest?) offshore races. Yet despite all this, the event receives scant notice ("it's just a freshwater race").

FWIW, Pusser's Rum included the Mac on its yachting decanter"On the decanter’s shoulder are the names of the current world’s most prestigious yacht races: The America’s Cup, the Transpac, the Volvo Ocean Race, Fastnet, Vendée Globe, Chicago-Mackinac, the Bermuda Race, the Admiral’s Cup and the Sydney to Hobart."

pussers-rum-andquot;yachtingandquot;-shi

• Like 2

I like pussers Rum, I've won a few bottles sailing over the years, but don't agree with the sentiments.

I certainly aree with "Someone Elses" comments..

There can only be one ...

• Like 1

The most Prestigious Trophy is what ever pickle dish you won yourself. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, Left Shift said:

Two of them were named Scarlett.  

th.jpeg

Classic comment considering logo in the background

On 1/17/2019 at 9:48 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Exactly. The holy grail. 

1 hour ago, RATM said:

Classic comment considering logo in the background

Well, there's a little bit of deserved come-uppance for my boys-will-be-boys post.  Well spotted.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:13 AM, JMOD said:

There was no gold when Mackenzie Bezos married Jeff.   They both quit their jobs together to start Amazon, she was the accountant and employee #2. To be fair, Jeff seems to have recognized this and all the statements seem to indicate that they have agreed on an amicable settlement.   She seems to be the opposite of a gold digger.

The future Ms Bezos #2 however......seems to be celebrating a series of successful gold mines:

depositphotos_15218209-stock-photo-lauren-sanchez.thumb.jpg.7e1e18586b230237fc5509c1d490afbc.jpg

On 1/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, IPLore said:

There was no gold when Mackenzie Bezos married Jeff.   They both quit their jobs together to start Amazon, she was the accountant and employee #2. To be fair, Jeff seems to have recognized this and all the statements seem to indicate that they have agreed on an amicable settlement.   She seems to be the opposite of a gold digger.

The future Ms Bezos #2 however......seems to be celebrating a series of successful gold mines:

depositphotos_15218209-stock-photo-lauren-sanchez.thumb.jpg.7e1e18586b230237fc5509c1d490afbc.jpg

i'm thinking money could buy a more recent model...this re-tread does nothing for me

On 1/21/2019 at 9:43 PM, IPLore said:

you are correct about her working there. 

1. Olympic Gold Medal

2. America's Cup

3. Volvo (while it was one-design)

4. Jules Verne

5. Laser World Championship

6. Vendee Globe

7. Star World Championship

8. 505 World Championship

9. Sydney- Hobart, Fastnet, Bermuda Race , Trans Pac

10. Viper 640 World Championship

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

1. Olympic Gold Medal

2. America's Cup

3. Volvo (while it was one-design)

4. Jules Verne

5. Laser World Championship

6. Vendee Globe

7. Star World Championship

8. 505 World Championship

9. Sydney- Hobart, Fastnet, Bermuda Race , Trans Pac

10. Viper 640 World Championship

Yeah, that works for me. Not certain about the Volvo being so high but that's likely my failing to appreciate what's involved...

Cheers,

W.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:43 AM, IPLore said:

Mackenzie Bezos should be the top trophy for any sailor.

Waldman-MacKenzieBezos.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, hoppy said:

Mackenzie Bezos should be the top trophy for any sailor.

Waldman-MacKenzieBezos.jpg

I think I saw her with a Rando bowman at NYYC...