Sign in to follow this  
B.J. Porter

Stuck at SFO all day

Flying sucks.

Our flight was held in DC because of crap weather in San Franscisco.

We arrvived at SFO around 11:00pm and spent the next almost hour dicking around looking for a gate. We RACE through the terminal to catch the Sydney flight, which is also late and showing a departure that is close.

We arrive with about ten other people for the flight a minute or three before the stated departure time. The plane is at the gate, hasn't left yet. The fuckers wouldn't let us on.

This is around midnight local time. The next flight to Sydney on United with seats...6pm tonight via LA.

They wouldn't put us up in spite of numerous screw ups and asshole policies on their end. I was at the gate when the Sydney flight was still on the ground, and they KNEW we were coming.

I'm going to be happy when I'm done flying for a while, I've done WAY too much in the last eight months.

image.png.ecd072799f05cf7b63087774377e8da8.png

meh..just imagine what that trip would have been like 50 years ago and be grateful..Took me 32 hours to get to Madrid..loved every minute.

20 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

meh..just imagine what that trip would have been like 50 years ago and be grateful..Took me 32 hours to get to Madrid..loved every minute.

I flew transpac in a Connie as a child and I'd take that experience over todays flying 10 out of 10 times....50 years ago you could miss a flight or merely change your mind and walk up to the counter and exchange your ticket on one airline for another flight on a different airline be treated by a smiling face at the ticket counter and walk away as if nothing had happened....I could start a thread on miserable flying experience RANTS and have a dozen of my own off the top of my head with another dozen buried deep in my subconscious in the PTFD file

• Like 1

Yeah but it was just as recently as the 1990s that the non smoking section was just the back 10 or 15 rows of seats on the plane. Hard to believe.

• Like 1

I once flew on Aeroflot from Seattle to Moscow, in general population class, the crowd was right out of central casting sans farm animals roaming around.

Everything else afterwards was a piece of cake!

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

There is nothing pleasant about air travel these days.

And traveling domestically in the US? Complete trash.

And there is REALLY very little to enjoy about 16+ hours stuck in an airport.

We're thinking of leaving anyway, just to go see the bay and get some fresh air. But neither of us know the city or the mass transit so we're a little...trepidatious...about heading off on a venture and making it back here in time.

Too bad they didn't send us on to LA earlier (our re-flight tonight connects there) as one of my wife's best friends works ten minutes from LAX.

43 minutes ago, hobot said:

I once flew on Aeroflot from Seattle to Moscow, in general population class, the crowd was right out of central casting sans farm animals roaming around.

Everything else afterwards was a piece of cake!

sounds like the little hopper from cozumel to playa de carmen, with the guy sitting on a milk crate with a chicken underneath for his seat and of course the pilot smelled of tequila

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

There is nothing pleasant about air travel these days.

And traveling domestically in the US? Complete trash.

Don't forget you're paying substantially less to fly these days than 30-40 years ago...

Not saying it's necessarily worth it, though.

IIRC, SFO is quite a bit south of SF, in Burlingame, or Milbrae.... I'm sure if you could dig up a BART map app on your phone you could get to where you want, but don't forget..... Traffic out there is horrific, and capricious.... What takes you a half hour to do in one direction can take 3 hours or more in the reverse direction at the flip of a switch.

14 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

IIRC, SFO is quite a bit south of SF, in Burlingame, or Milbrae.... I'm sure if you could dig up a BART map app on your phone you could get to where you want, but don't forget..... Traffic out there is horrific, and capricious.... What takes you a half hour to do in one direction can take 3 hours or more in the reverse direction at the flip of a switch.

That is my big concern. I've only been to SF once, for a business trip for about two days some 20+ years ago. I have no idea where we'd be going.

There’s a reason one of the two largest commercial airplane manufacturers is named AirBUS...

Jesus, man, don't you have a smartphone? If you can't find something enjoyable to do with a day to burn in San Francisco, you're just not trying. Bart leaves right from the airport and has numerous stops downtown. Go to the wharf and take the ferry to Sausalito. Go to Chinatown for lunch. Go to Union Square and shop. The list of possibilities is endless. 

BJ, walk out, grab BART, get off at Embarcadero station, have lunch at Slanted Door in the Ferry Terminal, maybe catch a ride over to Pier 39 and hang out with german tourists.

25 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

BJ, walk out, grab BART, get off at Embarcadero station, have lunch at Slanted Door in the Ferry Terminal, maybe catch a ride over to Pier 39 and hang out with german tourists.

If you have reciprocal privileges with the St Francis Yacht Club, could be a great day to grab lunch there. A little stormy on the bay, see the bridge, etc.

Same BART routine, then take a Lyft to the St Fancy.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

We arrvived at SFO around 11:00pm and spent the next almost hour dicking around looking for a gate. We RACE through the terminal to catch the Sydney flight, which is also late and showing a departure that is close.

We arrive with about ten other people for the flight a minute or three before the stated departure time. The plane is at the gate, hasn't left yet. The fuckers wouldn't let us on.

Really???????

First off, I can tell you it does not take an hour to get from terminal 3 (United Airlines) whom I assume you were flying..  to  the international terminal... it is about a 15 minute walk for Aunt Edna with her walker... Secondly why didn't you tell your gate agent when you arrived to call your departure gate (G102) and let them know you are on the way... If there were weather delays the will gladly accommodate you.    I do this all the time if my connection is under an hour and I have to trek the John Muir Trail to get to my gate.   One time when flying through Chicago on United coming from JFK on my way to LAX.... they did this, the flight was held for a few, and I got a bunch of dirty looks when I got on the connecting flight..  Second time, I had a 30 minute window through DFW on my way DeGaulle...  again, they held the door, and if you have been to DFW, this is no easy feat with a five year old in tow.     Thirdly, SFO has a shit load of terminal maps all over the place let alone, are you ready for this...  a bunch of gate agents and other people that can help you get to where you need to go.. and why didn't you looked this up on the inflight entertainment system...    Lastly if there were ten other people waiting like you due to weather delays for the flight, there is no way they would have not opened that door...  this would have resulted in what a five minute delay...  completely acceptable..

Sorry for being harsh B.J  just calling it as I see it... I and I am sure there are others here have made many a tighter connection, you had an hour..

BTW... did your luggage make the flight?

Ignore Mr. Bitter, get out of the terminal. Hell, worse case, take a Lyft over to Millbrae(or Bart goes there too) and go to Shanghai Dumpling for lunch.

If you and the wife want to shop a bit, take a Lyft to Burlingame Avenue. 10 minute drive. Cute shops, myriad places to eat, etc. Hella better than the airport. Hell, the public library would be a major step up from the airport.

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

Ignore Mr. Bitter, get out of the terminal. Hell, worse case, take a Lyft over to Millbrae(or Bart goes there too) and go to Shanghai Dumpling for lunch.

If you and the wife want to shop a bit, take a Lyft to Burlingame Avenue. 10 minute drive. Cute shops, myriad places to eat, etc. Hella better than the airport. Hell, the public library would be a major step up from the airport.

No one is being bitter...  Mismouled Razor...  just calling it as I see it...  so when are you and your sock puppet going to stop the circle jerk here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Really???????

First off, I can tell you it does not take an hour to get from terminal 3 (United Airlines) whom I assume you were flying..  to  the international terminal... it is about a 15 minute walk for Aunt Edna with her walker... Secondly why didn't you tell your gate agent when you arrived to call your departure gate (G102) and let them know you are on the way... If there were weather delays the will gladly accommodate you.    I do this all the time if my connection is under an hour and I have to trek the John Muir Trail to get to my gate.   One time when flying through Chicago on United coming from JFK on my way to LAX.... they did this, the flight was held for a few, and I got a bunch of dirty looks when I got on the connecting flight..  Second time, I had a 30 minute window through DFW on my way DeGaulle...  again, they held the door, and if you have been to DFW, this is no easy feat with a five year old in tow.     Thirdly, SFO has a shit load of terminal maps all over the place let alone, are you ready for this...  a bunch of gate agents and other people that can help you get to where you need to go.. and why didn't you looked this up on the inflight entertainment system...    Lastly if there were ten other people waiting like you due to weather delays for the flight, there is no way they would have not opened that door...  this would have resulted in what a five minute delay...  completely acceptable..

Sorry for being harsh B.J  just calling it as I see it... I and I am sure there are others here have made many a tighter connection, you had an hour..

BTW... did your luggage make the flight?

Read for comprehension mate - THE FUCKING PLANE took an hour getting to the gate, not me, dumbass. We were on the ground just after 11:00pm, we got off the plane at midnight. We ran from Gate 65 to Gate G102 by 12:10, the re-scheduled time for the Sydney departure.

There was a plane at our assigned gate. We sat waiting for it for a while before they figured out it had no crew and wasn't moving. Then we had to wait for a new gate. Then we had to taxi around to the new gate, and wait for the team to connect the plane to the jetway. Common sense would suggest I could not get off the plane prior to this, never mind from back in row 35.

The departure people KNEW we were coming, we didn't have time to fight our way to an agent to tell them to tell the other plane they were coming. They'd announced via text the plane was delayed because it was waiting for connecting passengers. A LOT of people were running late for connections since we were two hours late getting in, lines were long and desk agents were mobbed.

Idiot.

8 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

No one is being bitter...  Mismouled Razor...  just calling it as I see it...  so when are you and your sock puppet going to stop the circle jerk here.

You're calling it all stupid-like because you can't fucking read.

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Jesus, man, don't you have a smartphone? If you can't find something enjoyable to do with a day to burn in San Francisco, you're just not trying. Bart leaves right from the airport and has numerous stops downtown. Go to the wharf and take the ferry to Sausalito. Go to Chinatown for lunch. Go to Union Square and shop. The list of possibilities is endless. 

I do have a smart phone. I just have to be back here in the afternoon.

15 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

We may still get out of here, though feeling grouchy, stinky and tired doesn't incline one to go out exploring.

Neither my wife or I shop for recreation; not a favorite way to pass time at all.

Thanks for the ideas. We may still get out of here.

I wonder if they had already given your seats to stand by or airline employee travelers....never know but a possibility...that and bots following SOP with folks 24/7 asking for exceptions

5 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I wonder if they had already given your seats to stand by or airline employee travelers....never know but a possibility...that and bots following SOP with folks 24/7 asking for exceptions

I am 99.9% sure they gave my seat away, and the seats of the other ten people they fucked at the gate while the plane was still sitting there. "The flight's closed" they said. What, the door doesn't have a fucking handle on it? If they had seats for us, tacking five minutes onto a 15 hour flight to board us would be a no-brainer.

At some point during all this the seat assignment on the electronic version of my boarding pass changed to "See Agent" from an assigned seat. I am guessing that was the moment they gave the seat away.

It wouldn't have been as annoying if there were any seats to Sydney available before almost 24 hours later...  Bumped for a couple of hours is no biggie, go have a drink and wait it out. Spending the night in the airport sucks major ass. They design these places to keep you to uncomfortable to sleep.

It also wouldn't have been as annoying if they'd sent me a notice when they gave the seat away, so I could have spent the hour sitting on the tarmac looking for hotel rooms (which were all gone within miles of the airport) instead of searching airport maps for the route to G102.

8 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Totally do-able.

1 minute ago, IStream said:
10 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Totally do-able.

The two points of debate right now are 1) it looks shitty and rainy outside and 2) security is stacking up. Who knows what's happening there with the shutdown. IAD was quick, but this is getting thick.

We may go.  It's early still.

US airlines suck!!  Flew to Europe and back using British Airways and Turkish Air, they had stellar service, excellent FREE food and booze, and all new planes. 

3 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

The two points of debate right now are 1) it looks shitty and rainy outside and 2) security is stacking up. Who knows what's happening there with the shutdown. IAD was quick, but this is getting thick.

We may go.  It's early still.

You are going to be a mess in Sidney...

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

US airlines suck!!  Flew to Europe and back using British Airways and Turkish Air, they had stellar service, excellent FREE food and booze, and all new planes. 

Yeah, the first lap around the globe we did Sydney-LON-US-SYD was mostly on non-US airlines. But we've been back and forth from the US a few more times in the last couple of months, as well as doing some domestic flights while here.

Completely uncivilized compared to Air Emirates, Etihad, Virgin, Qantas, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, SailBlueH2O said:

According to weather reports it's about 115 degrees there. We've got four bags weighing near 200lbs, and we need to get out to the Pittwater area.

Piece of cake.

In the meantime, earthquakes are making the trains run slow.

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

And not to be a pain in the ass about it...but I have one set of clothes. The ones on my back. If I get them wet I'm stewing in them for the next 24 hours, or I'm overpaying for clothes I don't really want or need.

So yeah, not walking around in the rain is a consideration...

25 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Read for comprehension mate - THE FUCKING PLANE took an hour getting to the gate, not me, dumbass. We were on the ground just after 11:00pm, we got off the plane at midnight. We ran from Gate 65 to Gate G102 by 12:10, the re-scheduled time for the Sydney departure.

There was a plane at our assigned gate. We sat waiting for it for a while before they figured out it had no crew and wasn't moving. Then we had to wait for a new gate. Then we had to taxi around to the new gate, and wait for the team to connect the plane to the jetway. Common sense would suggest I could not get off the plane prior to this, never mind from back in row 35.

The departure people KNEW we were coming, we didn't have time to fight our way to an agent to tell them to tell the other plane they were coming. They'd announced via text the plane was delayed because it was waiting for connecting passengers. A LOT of people were running late for connections since we were two hours late getting in, lines were long and desk agents were mobbed.

Idiot.

Again... if there were ten other people waiting, and they knew you were coming, they would held the plane especially on on international flight....  Fucking Lufthansa does it... and those on-time Nazis are ruthless..

Other than that go check into the Marriott, get a good workout in, eat a good meal, and get some rest.  If they can get you to LAX by 12:00, lunch is on me.

6 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Fuck this day. Earthquakes? WTF?

image.thumb.png.67030973381ac6e9e64e08de194c5e29.png

That's called "Thursday". A 20 minute delay on BART is within one standard deviation of on-time. Just go, you'll be glad you did. 

Just now, nacradriver said:

Again... if there were ten other people waiting, and they knew you were coming, they would held the plane especially on on international flight.... 

Other than that go check into the Marriott, get a good workout in, eat a good meal, and get some rest.  If the can get you to LAX by 12:00, lunch is on me.

They would have, if they weren;t being dicks about it. They gave our seats away, clearly that's why they would;t board us.

Not really interesting in pissing away $2-300 on a hotel room. I don't have a change of clothes...checked bags are still checked. So even if I wanted to work out...

6 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

According to weather reports it's about 115 degrees there. We've got four bags weighing near 200lbs, and we need to get out to the Pittwater area.

Piece of cake.

In the meantime, earthquakes are making the trains run slow.

Now don't get ahead of yourself....I flew from Tampa to Kauai and landed with only a handkerchief for 36 hours awaiting bag forwarding which never happened ...they had been in storage (24 hrs) held by a smaller airline that took them from a later Delta flight into Honolulu...never would have been notified I finally drove to the airport and tracked it down myself...grrr.......

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

They would have, if they weren;t being dicks about it. They gave our seats away, clearly that's why they would;t board us.

Not really interesting in pissing away $2-300 on a hotel room. I don't have a change of clothes...checked bags are still checked. So even if I wanted to work out...

Again if there were other people waiting and they knew you were coming they would have held the flight....  I don't think your seats we're given up..

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Now don't get ahead of yourself....I flew from Tampa to Kauai and landed with only a handkerchief for 36 hours awaiting bag forwarding which never happened ...they had been in storage (24 hrs) held by a smaller airline that took them from a later Delta flight into Honolulu...never would have been notified I finally drove to the airport and tracked it down myself...grrr.......

Actually if they lose our bags and take a day or to to catch up with us in Sydney it would be better. We could then take Sydney public transport back to the boat and wait for them to deliver the bags to us.

Instead of having to take an Uber or something and schlep them ourselves.

2 minutes ago, nacradriver said:
7 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Again if there were other people waiting and they knew you were coming they would have held the flight....  I don't think your seats we're given up..

Umm...how could they NOT know we were coming?

They have this wonderful thing they use now in business called a COMPUTER. They put us in it, they know the flight we're on, and where it is, and when it will arrive and everything. It's pretty cool.

I have no doubt they were given up, since my seat changed from an assigned seat to "see agent" at some point while I was running around the airport or before it.

Order a North Beach pizza to be delivered?

Kidding obviously...

Good luck getting in a nap.

And the Los Hermanos burritos would be a better idea anyway.

7 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Umm...how could they NOT know we were coming?

They have this wonderful thing they use now in business called a COMPUTER. They put us in it, they know the flight we're on, and where it is, and when it will arrive and everything. It's pretty cool.

No shit Sherlock...  that is what I am telling you...  they knew you were on the way and would be there any second, and there we're others...  And yet the fucked up airline screwed you and the others and didn't offer you any kind of and accommodation? 

BTW....  I seem to remember you're a Leroy Jethro Gibbs fan...  what is rule #67?  "Even-if you check bags, always have a carry on with some basic essentials..."  checked bags have been known to go missing. 

8 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

No shit Sherlock...  that is what I am telling you...  they knew you were on the way and would be there any second, and there we're others...  And yet the fucked up airline screwed you and the others and didn't offer you any kind of and accommodation? 

BTW....  I seem to remember you're a Leroy Jethro Gibbs fan...  what is rule #67?  "Even-if you check bags, always have a carry on with some basic essentials..."  checked bags have been known to go missing.

grrrr...we both had carry on bags going to Kauai...late to the gate in Atlanta connecting from Tampa and they gate checked the carry on's for the flight to LA BUT not through to Kauai....this I figured after we were seated and spoke with the stew and folks in LA awaiting our flight to Kauai . In Kauai I was all over the phone with Delta folks....but as I said the island hopper Delta forward our bags with never had our contact info and Delta had only one flight a day into Kauai and their desk was closed after processing that flight...we waited a full days cycle before I sorted it out by pounding the ground at the terminal....someone said... OH (whatever airline holds those bags for Delta)

10 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

So why are we arguing? We agree that 1) they knew we were coming and 2) they screwed a bunch of us and 3) they refused to acknowledge they screwed us.

We usually do carry on days stuff - outgoing always since you don't want to be stuck somewhere you don't live without clean underwear. Since we're going home we didn't worry too much about it...we have clothes there if they lose our bags.

To United's credit, they did give us toothbrushes when I asked about it, though they weren't offering them to all the people they screwed.

It looks easy enough to take a bus over to Millbrae for lunch. Beats the airport food.

I have no idea who Gibbs is.

11 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Leroy Jethro Gibbs fan

I googled him. You must be confusing me with my dad. I've never watched an episode of NCIS - any flavor - in my life.

Just now, B.J. Porter said:

So why are we arguing? We agree that 1) they knew we were coming and 2) they screwed a bunch of us.

We usually do carry on days stuff - outgoing always since you don't want to be stuck somewhere you don't live without clean underwear. Since we're going home we didn't worry too much about it...we have clothes there if they lose our bags.

To United's credit, they did give us toothbrushes when I asked about it, though they weren't offering them to all the people they screwed.

It looks easy enough to take a bus over to Millbrae for lunch. Beats the airport food.

I have no idea who Gibbs is.

We're not arguing on this... Knowing the airlines the way I do, I am just not connecting the dots here on the how & why.

So United has not offered you a meal voucher and a free pass to any of the Star Alliance Lounges?

7 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

We're not arguing on this... Knowing the airlines the way I do, I am just not connecting the dots here on the how & why.

So United has not offered you a meal voucher and a free pass to any of the Star Alliance Lounges?

Nope. They said it was the weather. The weather was a factor, as the weather in SFO caused the delay leaving IAD. Something about air traffic control limiting landings and takeoffs because of the SFO weather.

But the weather had nothing to do with the fuckery that started when we landed at SFO at 11:00pm. The hour-long trek to the gate before we could get off the plane, etc. That was pure incompetence on their end. They have radios and they knew were our plane was, they should have had an open gate. The plane blocking our gate had no crew (could be weather...but they should have known this and sent us to a new gate earlier). Then they still could have opened the door at G102 and let the ten of us on since the Syndey flight was still sitting there when the last of us arrived at the gate. They chose not to. I believe its because they gave our seats away before we got there. Can't prove it though and they wouldn't admit it.

But they insisted it was the weather's fault, not their own incompetence. Hence the only thing they gave us was a toothbrush kit and a rebooking on a flight tonight. Albeit a nice kit with a cheap water bottle and some wet naps.

@United and I had a fun chat on Twitter last night...

I really enjoyed filling out the customer satisfaction they e-mailed me this morning while I was still sitting in the terminal, too.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

If you have reciprocal privileges with the St Francis Yacht Club, 

in the likely event you don't,  be sure to wear yer SA Swag and drop Scot's name at the door

should you get past Security in parking lot

Good news It a Bumper Crop BeetRoot Season - On Sale or part of the meal everywhere 

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

If you have reciprocal privileges with the St Francis Yacht Club, could be a great day to grab lunch there. A little stormy on the bay, see the bridge, etc.

Pretty sure they're not reciprocal with Musket Cove Yacht Club, which is my only current membership.

• Like 1

I know a number of people who work for United that were with Continental before - there was a time when Continental was pure crap but they got their shit together. That all changed when the merger takeover occurred. I only fly them when there is no choice.  Some time ago was held up at JFK for 8 to 10 hours which resulted in a red eye. They gave me a credit equal to my ticket. Jet Blue. As much I don't like open seating SW and JB are my 1st choices now.

Likely not worth it now but for $59 each, you could buy a one time pass to the united lounge showers, food, comfortable couch to sleep on and cordial staff.  Better than humping around the airport all night.

As to giving your flight away?  Depends.  at some point before departure, flight has to close and prepare to leave the gate to make a takeoff slot, particularly if weather is bad.  When I was travelling 3 weeks/month, I had plenty of flights closed just as I approached the gate.  Not going postal can sometimes get you a courtesy invite to the lounge is you are dressed reasonably well.  If they think you are going  to be a PIA, they aren't going to invite you to mingle with the First Class folks.  Sydney is a tight place as they have pretty tight landing slots, particularly when they open for international arrivals at 0700.  Again, at some point, the door gets closes and it is non negotiable.  I've tried more than once.  

It's all about the money.  If they can blame it on the weather, they are not going to comp you shit.  Particularly if you are not a frequent flier with "status" and bought a discounted "cattle class" seat.  

Fact of life today.  There is a reason why United has the cheapest fares.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I know a number of people who work for United that were with Continental before - there was a time when Continental was pure crap but they got their shit together. That all changed when the merger takeover occurred. I only fly them when there is no choice.  Some time ago was held up at JFK for 8 to 10 hours which resulted in a red eye. They gave me a credit equal to my ticket. Jet Blue. As much I don't like open seating SW and JB are my 1st choices now.

Southwest has figured it out..   I'll spend the extra bucks to get priority boarding.. at least then I can get a shot at Southwest First Class.... Emergency exit aisle.. :lol:

• Like 1

You don't have my sympathy.  You are sailing while I am working.  This is the occasional price you pay.  Yes, I could quit and sail, but I don't, so your life looks perfect compared to mine.

13 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Not going postal can sometimes get you a courtesy invite to the lounge is you are dressed reasonably well.  If they think you are going  to be a PIA, they aren't going to invite you to mingle with the First Class folks. 

Word!

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

I am 99.9% sure they gave my seat away, and the seats of the other ten people they fucked at the gate while the plane was still sitting there. "The flight's closed" they said. What, the door doesn't have a fucking handle on it?

nope, once plane door is closed it's a lot of paperwork to open it back up... it also has to do with bullshit "departure" time stats too..  this happens alot..

8 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

nope, once plane door is closed it's a lot of paperwork to open it back up... it also has to do with bullshit "departure" time stats too..  this happens alot..

So does door closed = departed time?

If so, here is your answer.  Or at least the root cause of why you were told "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!".

Reading all of this is reminding me of the night Trump won the election and BJ going crazy with his posting!

I really do hope that you are able to get on your plane and into the air headed home to your boat soon.

23 minutes ago, hobot said:

Reading all of this is reminding me of the night Trump won the election and BJ going crazy with his posting!

I really do hope that you are able to get on your plane and into the air headed home to your boat soon.

Me too. Since last June I've spent about 6 or 7 weeks on the boat, and no more than any 3 weeks continuously. I'm a tad bit tired of airplanes, airports and all the associated bullshit with not sleeping in my own damned bed.

35 minutes ago, hobot said:

I'm sure social media algorithms are part of DHLS profiling 

no doubt some dot or code appears on screen at places where a choice to help or hinder ones travels through their control 

some call it freedom of speech 

others consider it showing your cards

we are at THEIR MERCY like it or not and Poking them with a stick does Not help when you need a break (favor from them)

there's a great yoga lounge in the airport. you sound tense and a good yoga session could help cure that

additionally, i always feel better after a full stomach (and sfo food is overpirced suckery) ...i'd 'uber eats' a darby dan's sando (about two exits north of the airport). one of the best sandwiches in the history of bread, meats, cheese and condiments

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

This kind of depends on the airline...  I have been on Southwest, Alaska, Hawaiian Air, Air Canada, and US Scare-ways where they have opened the door to let some passengers on after it has been shut...    I have also been on other airlines where that tell you they door close ten minutes prior to departure and they mean it..  American and British Airways being notorious for this.

Was flying to Frankfurt on Lufthansa out of LAX a few years back...  there were two empty seats next to me I was really starting to enjoy this 13 hour flight... But, our flight was delayed for about 20 minuted while the waited for another plane to arrive as there were a large group of passengers connecting from another flight...   Yeah they waited, loaded them all up, and off we go...  about 45 minutes past our departure time... of course I don't get the couple of nordic hotties that were first on the plane... in place, I  get northern Germany euro-trash and his smelly wife/girlfriend in the seats next to me...  thank god for aisle seat and Diazepam...  a light dose of course.  

55 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Me too. Since last June I've spent about 6 or 7 weeks on the boat, and no more than any 3 weeks continuously. I'm a tad bit tired of airplanes, airports and all the associated bullshit with not sleeping in my own damned bed.

That first cold drink in your hand once you are aboard and can relax is going to taste great!

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Not to mention the hold luggage ....three minutes to take off..They'd probably already delayed the flight to get it off for a no show bunch of passengers.

Airport security is not as safe as we like to think though..I apparently managed to board a plane including hold luggage from Heathrow to Madrid..without a boarding pass or any record of me being on the flight. They recorded me as a "no show" and cancelled all my return flights :( that was a real fuck up , still unexplained.

16 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Not to mention the hold luggage ....three minutes to take off..They'd probably already delayed the flight to get it off for a no show bunch of passengers.

Airport security is not as safe as we like to think though..I apparently managed to board a plane including hold luggage from Heathrow to Madrid..without a boarding pass or any record of me being on the flight. They recorded me as a "no show" and cancelled all my return flights :( that was a real fuck up , still unexplained.

So when the flight attendants came through the cabin and did the head count prior to departure what happened?  As a fail safe many airlines have two attendants do this.. one prior or just when the are closing the doors, and one prior to taxi or the safety briefing.

Hookers and crack make a day go by quickly. Oh yah I forgot you have the wife in tow. 

Museums yah that's right museums!! go see one!!!!

Sorry no prefrontal cortical inhibition 

2 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

So when the flight attendants came through the cabin and did the head count prior to departure what happened?  As a fail safe many airlines have two attendants do this.. one prior or just when the are closing the doors, and one prior to taxi or the safety briefing.

I think what happened was a communication glitch.

Flight from Singapore was late, the cabin crew told us that we'd be given assistance on the ground at Heathrow to meet the madrid flight and would make it if we ran.

So we did.

Someone at British airways booked us on a later flight recorded us as no show's. which we were, because we'd got on the original earlier flight.and their policy is to cancel all other legs..including my return 6 weeks later..Brussels to london to Sydney to melbourne. Now that was a shock when you roll up and are told there's no record of you and they wont give you any assistance, are told to sort it out with Qantas in OZ. I got home 2 days late and still cant get an explaination out of British Airways.

56 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I think what happened was a communication glitch.

Flight from Singapore was late, the cabin crew told us that we'd be given assistance on the ground at Heathrow to meet the madrid flight and would make it if we ran.

So we did.

Someone at British airways booked us on a later flight recorded us as no show's. which we were, because we'd got on the original earlier flight.and their policy is to cancel all other legs..including my return 6 weeks later..Brussels to london to Sydney to melbourne. Now that was a shock when you roll up and are told there's no record of you and they wont give you any assistance, are told to sort it out with Qantas in OZ. I got home 2 days late and still cant get an explaination out of British Airways.

My last time through Heathrow I had to scan my boarding pass a few times before getting to the boarding area.... letting you slip though like this, yea they screwed up big time... 

I still don't see how they let you on the plane without scanning your boarding pass.... someone could lose their job with this.

This is why I quit sales and went into project management.

Flying 4 days/week got real old, especially after 9/11.

28 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

I was traveling 3 weeks/month managing multiple sites from SOCal to the Mid Atlantic and one in Germany. Got tired enough that I volunteered to take a buyout in a downsizing and attempted to retire. Failed at that but now travel about 1/qtr, generally about a 1 hour flight away. Even with that, I’ll often drive. Takes about an hour longer but no aluminum tube of misery. 

Well, how was lunch?

7 hours ago, IStream said:

That's called "Thursday". A 20 minute delay on BART is within one standard deviation of on-time. Just go, you'll be glad you did. 

When my wife worked as a station manager for Continental Airlines, she had, not only a cell phone (dedicated) but a "pager" that informed her of situations at all hubs, and major spokes on a regular basis.

It was almost certain that at around noon on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, EWR (Newark, NJ) would call a ground delay due to WX (weather).... We could see clear blue sky for miles around, look at the weather maps, the marine forecasts, etc. and there'd be nothing.

We started calling it "Code BLUE!!!" Not a cloud in the sky, not a shift in the wind, not a fucking flock of seagulls on the wing, and EWR would call a ground delay....

We would bet on when the page would come in..... It was usually right around noon.... Sometimes almost to 1PM.....

She asked the CO EWR manager about this one day as we were passing through.... the manager said "Oh yeah, we plan on it and try to stagger our boarding schedules to fit it...."

7 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Southwest has figured it out..   I'll spend the extra bucks to get priority boarding.. at least then I can get a shot at Southwest First Class.... Emergency exit aisle.. :lol:

I haven't traveled extensively in the US, but was warned by others, never connect through San Fran if there is any other possible way, 4-5 extra hrs in the air beats 12-24 hrs waiting to get out of SF.

SFO often has flow control due to fog or low ceilings. I fly to the Bay Area at least 25X per year and avoid it like the plague. Oakland or San Jose are far more reliable. Unfortunately, SFO is where most of the international flights depart.

4 hours ago, crankcall said:

I haven't traveled extensively in the US, but was warned by others, never connect through San Fran if there is any other possible way, 4-5 extra hrs in the air beats 12-24 hrs waiting to get out of SF.

I used to have to fly to SFO from O'Hare 1x/week. Had an office in the Rincon Center.

Not as bad as LGA. That airport is the worst, followed by O'Hare.

I was flying from my hometown of Erie, PA back in 2004.  I had come to the US because my father passed away.  I had a flight from Erie to Detroit and then off to Amsterdam on Northwest, and ultimately to Frankfurt Main in Germany.

The airport in Erie is pretty small and the waiting area for our little turboprop plane to Detroit was a hallway.  The time for boarding our plane drew near and no announcement no nothing.  More time passed.  After about 45 minutes had passed a couple of gate agents appeared, talking to each other, looking busy but nothing else.  I looked at my watch and it was around the boarding time for my trans Atlantic flight.  I thought shit, this is wonderful.  Finally they announced that Detroit had closed for a bit because of thunderstorms and had reopened but our flight would be delayed.  No shit.  I arrived in Detroit about 4 hours later than I was scheduled to, and of course my flight to Amsterdam was long gone.  So I waited in the crowd of people needing to re-book because of the delays.  

When I got to the counter the agent informed me that because the delay was due to the weather the best they could do for me as give me a list of nearby hotels that offered a discount and they would get me on the next day's flight to Amsterdam.  I politely told the agent that Detroit was closed for 20 minutes because of the storms, and my flight was delayed for 4 hours because it was a low priority to get 20 people from Erie to Detroit.  I said I was not going to spend the night in Detroit at my expense.  I told her that there was a Northwest flight to Amsterdam departing in 1 hour and I wanted to be on it.  She said that wasn't possible.  I said of course it is.  I know you want to help me but you don't have the authority to do so, so please get someone here that can get me on that flight.  I politely went through the same shtick with the next person.  When the 3rd agent came to help, she heard my spiel, rolled her eyes, tapped on the computer and gave me a boarding pass for the Amsterdam flight that night.  She told me to hurry because the gate closed in 10 minutes.  So I did the O.J. sprint down the hall for about 40 gates, arrived at my gate out of breath and got on the plane with minutes to spare.  Then they announced there was a slight delay.

The crew announced that the flight was over booked and they were offering a free hotel room, the first flight to Amsterdam in business class the next day, and a $600.00 voucher.  Hmm, I thought.  That's probably because they gave me somebody's seat to shut me up and now they need another seat.  For a moment I thought about taking the offer but I really wanted to get back to Germany.  I also thought that if I had to go see the same people to make the arrangement and collect my booty, they would kill me, so I stayed in my seat.  At least 7 or 8 people jumped out of their seats to try and claim the offer.  I made it to Amsterdam and on to Germany and all was well.  I hate to be a pain in the ass but a 4 hour delay because the airport was closed for 20 minutes was in my opinion, bullshit.

When shit happens, I am always calm, polite, insistent and and ask for the next higher supervisor as much as necessary.  When I fly I don't wear a suit but I wear nice casual clothes, not jeans.  If nothing else, they will often give you what you want just to get you out of their hair.  But as I am always calm and polite, they can't get too angry with me.

Dude - If I was home, and not sitting at the bar in ICN waiting for a flight back home, I'd come pick you up. You could help me fix the frigging Tuff Luff on my boat, which has separated and needs red Loctite, 5200 and a couple of trips up the mast to fix.

6 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Dude - If I was home, and not sitting at the bar in ICN waiting for a flight back home, I'd come pick you up. You could help me fix the frigging Tuff Luff on my boat, which has separated and needs red Loctite, 5200 and a couple of trips up the mast to fix.

Dude, no offense to the former mod, but BJ isn't exactly svelte, portly Porter as it were.  Are you sure you want to haul him up and down your mast.  (Oh, that sounds vaguely dirty, doesn't it?)

5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Dude, no offense to the former mod, but BJ isn't exactly svelte, portly Porter as it were.  Are you sure you want to haul him up and down your mast. 

Ime am notte siurre that what WS mente.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I was flying from my hometown of Erie, PA back in 2004.  I had come to the US because my father passed away.  I had a flight from Erie to Detroit and then off to Amsterdam on Northwest, and ultimately to Frankfurt Main in Germany.

The airport in Erie is pretty small and the waiting area for our little turboprop plane to Detroit was a hallway.  The time for boarding our plane drew near and no announcement no nothing.  More time passed.  After about 45 minutes had passed a couple of gate agents appeared, talking to each other, looking busy but nothing else.  I looked at my watch and it was around the boarding time for my trans Atlantic flight.  I thought shit, this is wonderful.  Finally they announced that Detroit had closed for a bit because of thunderstorms and had reopened but our flight would be delayed.  No shit.  I arrived in Detroit about 4 hours later than I was scheduled to, and of course my flight to Amsterdam was long gone.  So I waited in the crowd of people needing to re-book because of the delays.  

When I got to the counter the agent informed me that because the delay was due to the weather the best they could do for me as give me a list of nearby hotels that offered a discount and they would get me on the next day's flight to Amsterdam.  I politely told the agent that Detroit was closed for 20 minutes because of the storms, and my flight was delayed for 4 hours because it was a low priority to get 20 people from Erie to Detroit.  I said I was not going to spend the night in Detroit at my expense.  I told her that there was a Northwest flight to Amsterdam departing in 1 hour and I wanted to be on it.  She said that wasn't possible.  I said of course it is.  I know you want to help me but you don't have the authority to do so, so please get someone here that can get me on that flight.  I politely went through the same shtick with the next person.  When the 3rd agent came to help, she heard my spiel, rolled her eyes, tapped on the computer and gave me a boarding pass for the Amsterdam flight that night.  She told me to hurry because the gate closed in 10 minutes.  So I did the O.J. sprint down the hall for about 40 gates, arrived at my gate out of breath and got on the plane with minutes to spare.  Then they announced there was a slight delay.

The crew announced that the flight was over booked and they were offering a free hotel room, the first flight to Amsterdam in business class the next day, and a $600.00 voucher.  Hmm, I thought.  That's probably because they gave me somebody's seat to shut me up and now they need another seat.  For a moment I thought about taking the offer but I really wanted to get back to Germany.  I also thought that if I had to go see the same people to make the arrangement and collect my booty, they would kill me, so I stayed in my seat.  At least 7 or 8 people jumped out of their seats to try and claim the offer.  I made it to Amsterdam and on to Germany and all was well.  I hate to be a pain in the ass but a 4 hour delay because the airport was closed for 20 minutes was in my opinion, bullshit.

When shit happens, I am always calm, polite, insistent and and ask for the next higher supervisor as much as necessary.  When I fly I don't wear a suit but I wear nice casual clothes, not jeans.  If nothing else, they will often give you what you want just to get you out of their hair.  But as I am always calm and polite, they can't get too angry with me.

That was 15 years ago and closer to 1989 than 2019 in attitudes of airlines and gate agents....although your tactics are still a good way to treat any hassle as the folks you are talking to are powerless  ...disappointed  B.J. never posted before boarding....perhaps he never did

7 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

That was 15 years ago and closer to 1989 than 2019 in attitudes of airlines and gate agents....although your tactics are still a good way to treat any hassle as the folks you are talking to are powerless  

Yeah, you are right, that was a while ago.  

I grew up in a family owned retail business and worked in other businesses and I learned a lot about customer service.  Herb Kelleher said something to the effect of 'the customer isn't always right'.  While I agree that customers have no right to terribly abuse staff, on the other hand, especially in big companies, any reasonable request should be met.  If people work in a business that exposes them to regular customer contact, they just have to accept a certain amount of unpleasantness.  If they can't deal with that they should find a new job.  People spend money for goods and services and if they perceive that their needs haven't been met, they sometimes get testy.  The reps shouldn't have to put up with extreme yelling or threats but otherwise, they just need to take it and not escalate.  

Conflict occurs in resolving customer concerns for 2 main reasons.  Often ego gets in the way, that is the company rep is taking the situation personally and digs in because they perceive some personal loss if they give in to the customer.  The customer sometimes feels their ego is threatened, that they will lose something in the situation.  Escalation of the conflict soon follows. The other big problem is fear of retribution from higher ups if the company representative gives something to the customer.  Whenever possible, a good company should empower employees at the lowest levels to meet reasonable customer demands, and be able to quickly refer the customer to a higher level if necessary.  Giving something to the customer free of charge or upgrading a service is a low cost way to gain a lot of loyalty.  Companies spend millions on ineffective ad campaigns and yet they will balk at a $100.00 write off to placate and angry customer.  I think the bottom line is if everybody, customer and company alike treat each other courteously, calmly and with respect, things would work much better.  Of course I believe in rainbows and unicorns too.

52 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

your tactics are still a good way to treat any hassle as the folks you are talking to are powerless  ...disappointed  B.J. never posted before boarding....perhaps he never did

Could be one of the TSA posts/posted regularly to PA

And Dreamed that One Day ...... 

:lol:

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

That was 15 years ago and closer to 1989 than 2019 in attitudes of airlines and gate agents....although your tactics are still a good way to treat any hassle as the folks you are talking to are powerless  ...disappointed  B.J. never posted before boarding....perhaps he never did

Actually it still does work today...  When Delta had their meltdown two summers ago I was on my way to the east coast....  When I got to the agent I handed him bottle of water and a couple of aspirin single dose packs.. and said "you're going to need this by the end of the day..."   Needless to say I got to where I needed to go and arrived at just about the same time..

I have learned early on that giving people a hard time does not work, nor dose taking their shit either...  there is a fine balance.

16 hours ago, austin1972 said:

It was old prior to 9/11...  that was just the icing on the cake.

15 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I was traveling 3 weeks/month managing multiple sites from SOCal to the Mid Atlantic and one in Germany. Got tired enough that I volunteered to take a buyout in a downsizing and attempted to retire. Failed at that but now travel about 1/qtr, generally about a 1 hour flight away. Even with that, I’ll often drive. Takes about an hour longer but no aluminum tube of misery. 

Did international sales for a while and our corp HQ was in NYC....  you know something is not right when you're on a first name basis with the flight crew from JFK to LAX and you burned through a passport in five years..

5 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

It was old prior to 9/11...  that was just the icing on the cake.

Did international sales for a while and our corp HQ was in NYC....  you know something is not right when you're on a first name basis with the flight crew from JFK to LAX and you burned through a passport in five years..

I was in a similar situation at a similar time. I was on a first-name basis with the NWA-later-Delta crew on the the A-330 they flew SEA-AMS. Being in a startup, I wouldn't pay for Business class but I was able to regularly snag the port side exit row aisle seat right behind Business class and adjacent to the galley. The FAs would take the wine cart through Business and top me off just before hanging a left the galley.