echo

new prop

I need some help in a hurry. I need a new folding prop and looking for value, quality and performance.

I'm not too thrilled with  my current Kiwi prop in the high fouling/growth waters in Charleston.   

I've had flexofold before and liked it.  Max Prop too, maybe...

Thanks.  

if you had a flexofold and liked it, get another one. love mine.

Yep, leaning that way for sure. I just wanted to see if there were any other options i was not familiar with.

Thanks.  

Max Prop. Best customer service I've ever experienced. Great reverse. Love mine...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrewR said:

Max Prop. Best customer service I've ever experienced. Great reverse. Love mine...

When shifting into reverse with any headway it seems like King Neptune himself is about to rip through the surface. Ok I exaggerate, but there's a huge amount of water turbulence and noise from the prop pulling - always scares the shit out of new people on our boat. 

I like the auto-prop.  It optimizes its pitched based on the RPM of the shaft.  Its pretty neat technology.

4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I like the auto-prop.  It optimizes its pitched based on the RPM of the shaft.  Its pretty neat technology.

Probably very good for motoring, but not so good for sailing. Has clearly more drag than any other folding or feathering propeller. E.g. in 15" two bladed propeller test in 10/2008 Segeln all other had 0-9.7 N drag, but Autoprop had 20 N. Even 3 blade Gori had only 1.4 N. Fixed blade had 100 N rotating and 199 N fixed. Drag was measured at 6 knots.

In Yacht 5/1997 three bladed propeller test Autoprop had 75 N drag fixed and 670 N rotating. Gori had only 12 N despite being much bigger (18" vs. 15"). Also other propellers were in that range (12-16 N) except Volvo (18"), which had 62.5 N. The 15" 3 blade fixed propeller had 180 N rotating and 420 N fixed. Drag was measured at 8 knots.

20 hours ago, billomalley said:

I have a new Gori 2 Blade 15 x 10 folding prop for sale on Used Boat Equipment.  Cheap!

https://www.usedboatequipment.com/ads/gori-2-blade-folding-15-x-11-lhs/

Maybe this is of interest?  I PM you.

Why did you replace it after only 30 days?  And with what prop did you replace it?

I love the Max-Prop. Backs up like a tugboat. Low drag for sailing. The only drawback is price.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Why did you replace it after only 30 days?  And with what prop did you replace it?

Customer decided he wanted a 3 Blade prop instead.  Replaced it with a Gori 3 Blade folding prop.  Very little difference in drag.

I replace a Flexofold on a Yanmar 3GM30F with a Radice because on flexofold the reverse was not always working, better in every way and the cost is 800€ for the saildrive.

https://www.elicheradice.com/products/propellers-catalog/

On 1/18/2019 at 3:57 AM, Joakim said:
On 1/17/2019 at 11:01 PM, MauiPunter said:

Probably very good for motoring, but not so good for sailing. Has clearly more drag than any other folding or feathering propeller. E.g. in 15" two bladed propeller test in 10/2008 Segeln all other had 0-9.7 N drag, but Autoprop had 20 N. Even 3 blade Gori had only 1.4 N. Fixed blade had 100 N rotating and 199 N fixed. Drag was measured at 6 knots.

In Yacht 5/1997 three bladed propeller test Autoprop had 75 N drag fixed and 670 N rotating. Gori had only 12 N despite being much bigger (18" vs. 15"). Also other propellers were in that range (12-16 N) except Volvo (18"), which had 62.5 N. The 15" 3 blade fixed propeller had 180 N rotating and 420 N fixed. Drag was measured at 8 knots.

A bit harsh.  AutoProp is very good for motoring and significantly better than a 3 B fixed for sailing.  Since the AP does not fully feather or fold, the drag results shouldn't be surprising.  Competitive racing?  Not the place for an AP as you won't get any rating credit for its drag because it is a "feathering prop."  

I have an 18"  and it's excellent for motoring in either flat calm where I can leave a rooster tail at 8.2 knots in 35 and chop where it will punch it's way upwind and "pitch up" to keep grinding away.  at about 7.2 knots of BS, a solid wave drags me down to about 6 knots and the boat just accelerates back up.  

My only real complaint is that the blades pitch independently and are fairly intolerant of even a couple of small barnacles.  The fouling causes the affected blade to pitch a bit differently and makes the prop prone to vibration , efficiency drops and performance goes down. That and some wicked propwash that's probably more a proximity to the rudder problem than an AutoProp issue.  

Although I'm thoroughly impressed with the motoring performance and the sailing performance isn't awful, I'd probably go with a different prop if I have a failure and new a new prop.  

no one uses a varifold?  I have loved mine...it has been flawless 

Had a Flexofold 3B which worked perfectly. Changed to Flexofold 2B w/ Composite hub for lower drag.

Flexofold has good sales/service.

Gori never even replied to my email or online quote request..

Ended up with the flexofold.

Thanks, 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

A bit harsh.  AutoProp is very good for motoring and significantly better than a 3 B fixed for sailing.  Since the AP does not fully feather or fold, the drag results shouldn't be surprising.  Competitive racing?  Not the place for an AP as you won't get any rating credit for its drag because it is a "feathering prop."  

I have an 18"  and it's excellent for motoring in either flat calm where I can leave a rooster tail at 8.2 knots in 35 and chop where it will punch it's way upwind and "pitch up" to keep grinding away.  at about 7.2 knots of BS, a solid wave drags me down to about 6 knots and the boat just accelerates back up.  

My only real complaint is that the blades pitch independently and are fairly intolerant of even a couple of small barnacles.  The fouling causes the affected blade to pitch a bit differently and makes the prop prone to vibration , efficiency drops and performance goes down. That and some wicked propwash that's probably more a proximity to the rudder problem than an AutoProp issue.  

Although I'm thoroughly impressed with the motoring performance and the sailing performance isn't awful, I'd probably go with a different prop if I have a failure and new a new prop.  

I switched to AutoProp because my motoring was VERY anemic.  Had work on my feathering prop and could not get enough power out of it.  Switched to AutoProp and now it works like a champ.  Im sure I am slightly slower, by maybe half a knot but Im not a serious racer, so dont really care.  I race for fun in distance races for the adventure of it.  Dont need any more trophies in my life. :)

Hands down I would go with a Gori. Every prop is custom matched to your engine/transmission and boat. I told the rep what I will be using it for and he had Gori make changes to maximize the thrust. Make sure you keep up on maintenance every year with replacing zincs and stoppers. I ended up getting 2+ knots additional then my previous fixed blade. 

Full power in reverse and no prop walk. The overdrive feature is awesome for long distance motoring. I have had friends with the varifold and flexofold that have switched because of poor reverse and spins in neutral. 

What are your feelings about Shaft Shark vs Spurs for rope/weed cutting solution on a prop?

35 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

What are your feelings about Shaft Shark vs Spurs for rope/weed cutting solution on a prop?

A good way to cut yourself while removing the line from the shaft.  I sail in Maine with a P-strut and no cutter.

The only one who catches any pots is my son - because teenager.  

Shaft shark all the way. Spurs you need to change zincs and service each year. Plus with the spur the the lobsta pot line already gets half a wrap before it starts cutting, shaft shark starts cutting immediately. 

• Like 1