Ajax

Chesapeake 2019

If we get six feet of rain again this year, I'm selling the boat and buying a submarine.

Just sayin'.

• Like 1

My uncle drove a sub. Got to see in that.

Try 8ft of rain in squamish or 27ft at kennedy lake near tofino...plus a 20 yr storm:(

3 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

My uncle drove a sub. Got to see in that.

Try 8ft of rain in squamish or 27ft at kennedy lake near tofino...plus a 20 yr storm:(

I also drove submarines...and lived in Wa. State, Bangor. Beautiful place but the constant gray and drizzle made me near suicidal so I went back to the east coast.

Don't know about that plan - one night on a sub and my wife made me put my clothes outside. Do new ones smell better?

In other news, algae is growing all over my sheds, my place looks like an ad for "why not to live in Seattle" and we are 3,000 miles from there!

No,  they still stink. It's the amine used in the CO2 scrubbers. 

I know the feeling. Just hoping for a MUCH better sailing season this year!

Last year we got little snow and a rainy spring, summer and fall. 

This year we've already gotten about as much snow as we did for all of 2018 - hope this "reverse" trend continues and we have a good sailing season.

The way this winter got started and is likely to end, it'll be 5 full months without sailing. That's a record for me. The bad kind.  Usually I squeeze a day in here or there, during the winter.

on the plus side with the current winter,  no mosquiotos....  Yet.

hope we got all the snow we are going to get...

47 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Amen.  I finally bought a snow blower. Hopefully that will keep the snow away. You can blame me for last year's deluge of rain, too. I bought solar panels.  :blink:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Hey hey, stop that kind of talk.  I love sailing in the snow!   Got out quite a few times already this year in the Chesapeake!  More snow!  MORE SNOW!!!

OK, I wouldn't mind if it goes all full SPRING on us either.  But just stop this cold and rain shit.  I would rather have snow than that.  Well once I get the new cruising boat here and launched anyway.  So...  OK... I want 2 weeks of SPRING weather, then 4 weeks of SNOW, then back to full SPRING!!  :)

On 1/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, Ajax said:

If we get six feet of rain again this year, I'm selling the boat and buying a submarine.

Just sayin'.

Look on the bright side, after all the rain, the places you ran aground last year will be deeper this year!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

I would vastly prefer it never get above freezing until March 1 than what we have now. The warm/freeze cycles turn the whole island into a muddy mess :angry:

Speaking of boats and snow, one snowy January day we tried to combine snow and water skiing. I whipped the boat hard starboard off the beach at Ski Island and by friend hit the snow at 30 knots, the skegs dug in and wouldn't let him turn back out, and he ended up crashing into the bushes :o:lol:

• Like 1

Hmm... eight weeks of winter left and I have about thirty weeks of winter projects left to do. :unsure:

At least I've got the mast muscled into the greenhouse, so I can go over that in relative comfort.   

8 hours ago, toddster said:

Hmm... eight weeks of winter left and I have about thirty weeks of winter projects left to do. :unsure:

At least I've got the mast muscled into the greenhouse, so I can go over that in relative comfort.   

Yes - maybe 4 more weeks of winter here, and too many projects...ripping out old useless and unused pumps installed years ago...god knows why I thought the boat needed pressure water [never used!] and a shower sump pump (will use pressure water pump as an anchor wash down pump), ham radio install (thanks for the advice, K.I.S.), and on and on and on...buying some Al-Zn brazing rods tomorrow to try to fix my ailing, aging engine freshwater pump, then start planning the autopilot install...and I got a free radar...should I incorporate it into my wind gen pole, or not bother with it at all...lotsa projects, two months left!  Of course, winter here is hardly winter, just rain.  And snow on the mountains, a skiing distraction from projects...

Well it was 18 two nights ago and will be in the 50s tomorrow. Endless dog-paw cleaning :( I could go sailing if I wanted to, depends on my tolerance for re-antifreezing the engine. The interior stays above freezing with the heat on, but I get nightmares of being out of town, having a cold snap, and the heater blowing a fuse.

Jud - What kind of radar did you get? Used radars, even if free, can end up being expensive. They are time and money to mount and a lot of the older ones are no longer supported. Also unlike a lot of boat gear, new radars are hugely improved over some of the older ones.

34 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Well it was 18 two nights ago and will be in the 50s tomorrow. Endless dog-paw cleaning :( I could go sailing if I wanted to, depends on my tolerance for re-antifreezing the engine. The interior stays above freezing with the heat on, but I get nightmares of being out of town, having a cold snap, and the heater blowing a fuse.

Jud - What kind of radar did you get? Used radars, even if free, can end up being expensive. They are time and money to mount and a lot of the older ones are no longer supported. Also unlike a lot of boat gear, new radars are hugely improved over some of the older ones.

It’s a JRC 1000 (or 1500?).  It came off a boat in a high end YC - owner wanted to upgrade and had it carefully removed, no wires cut, carefully packed away, even has the manual in perfect condition.  I’m not wedded to having a radar. (But I would get one when going to high latitudes again, having been fogged in and very nearly run down by a 60’ fish boat.) For the cost of buying a new radar, I can finish our re-rig, a far greater priority for a planned offshore trip :-). But I was thinking, hell, the wind gen pole is down now, and I saw a boat with a radome incorporated into an offset bend in a pole with wind gen on top and it made me think, “hmm, now would be the time to do this, since pole is already down...”. Or should I go whole hog and build an arch, leaving me an option for future radome and solar panels...no!!!  Project creep...still, I haven’t figured out where two panels will go...another pole, for radar, on starboard side, would give me a panel-mounting option...project creep! :-)

002F4DA7-65E1-4994-BCAC-BC94913D5FB3.jpeg

8 minutes ago, chester said:

I have a foolproof solution for project creep...start no projects!!

LOL...yeah, if I lived in Florida, I wouldn't get much done. Winter forces me to give the boat the maintenance that it needs.

@Jud - s/v Sputnik I too, am fitting a used radar. I bought a Raymarine 4kw array that will plug into my Ray C80 plotter for $200.  My boat came with an ancient, non-functional Raymarine Pathfinder radar. I discovered that I could make the bracket work with the newer 4kw array with a minor modification.  I do need to buy a cable, unfortunately.

Radar is a 2nd tier need on the Chesapeake. We just don't get that much fog. If l lived in New England, it would be at the top of the list.

Funny, I was just thinking about taking the old Furuno down from the mast. I think I decided to leave it where it is. I think I’ve fallen back on the “this boat is too small for an arch!” side of the fence.  “Leave Stuff As It Is” is leading in the let’s-internalize-the-halyards debate as well.

My reasoning for installing the old unit in the first place was (beyond toy addiction) just to learn to use radar. No question that the newer units with lower power consumption, greater resolution, and system integration are a far better choice.  Really should have the display at the helm, which for a small boat means an MFD.  (I can peer down through the companionway from the helm and see the display at the chart table, 8 feet away. But it’s a bit iffy.)

Just got sticker shock, again, looking at the new stuff.  Not At This Time.  Yeah, other people’s discarded toys are still a decent bargain.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, toddster said:

Funny, I was just thinking about taking the old Furuno down from the mast. I think I decided to leave it where it is. I think I’ve fallen back on the “this boat is too small for an arch!” side of the fence.  “Leave Stuff As It Is” is leading in the let’s-internalize-the-halyards debate as well.

My reasoning for installing the old unit in the first place was (beyond toy addiction) just to learn to use radar. No question that the newer units with lower power consumption, greater resolution, and system integration are a far better choice.  Really should have the display at the helm, which for a small boat means an MFD.  (I can peer down through the companionway from the helm and see the display at the chart table, 8 feet away. But it’s a bit iffy.)

Just got sticker shock, again, looking at the new stuff.  Not At This Time.  Yeah, other people’s discarded toys are still a decent bargain.  

You got that right. I picked up an old Pathfinder unit in pretty mint shape for $300, and built my own 8' pole assembly for it. All in, less than $700. It does what I need it to do.

@Ajax - with a look at the weather it seems my Laser and UFO sailing might come to a halt mid week.  I would be willing however to take your Hobie and afix ice skate blades to it and see what kind of damage could be done.

38 minutes ago, Wess said:

@Ajax - with a look at the weather it seems my Laser and UFO sailing might come to a halt mid week.  I would be willing however to take your Hobie and afix ice skate blades to it and see what kind of damage could be done.

That is not entirely crazy.  If the boat found a weak spot in the ice, it would float.

This hasn't been a good year for bay ice though. It'd be worth a try on a more consistently cold year.

2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

That is not entirely crazy.  If the boat found a weak spot in the ice, it would float.

This hasn't been a good year for bay ice though. It'd be worth a try on a more consistently cold year.

My new (to us) boat arrives in a few days post refit in FL.  Just crane up the mast, recommission and we are ready. The double wide slip had pilings pulled is ready (as of 2 hours ago). Heck; we are beyond ready... we are desperate to splash and do some shake-down winter cruising.  So rest assured a solid hard and long freeze is about to descend upon us.  There will be ice everywhere and it will stay a longggggggg time.  You can blame me but I will be already too pissed off to care, LOL. Thus my search to find a iceboat...

• Like 1

Got out on a J30 yesterday in Naptown.  Saw a few other boats, plus a fleet of Lasers from SSA.  Frostbites start Sunday!

Wettest Winter in US History:
https://edit.wunderground.com/cat6/Wett ... =hp-slot-2

Seriously, I'm fed up with the rain.

This winter was far from being the coldest, but it's been very long and very wet. Temperatures dropped to "not sailing" ranges around the latter half of October and will continue through at least the first half of March, possibly all of March. The ground has been saturated for months. My favorite part about all this has been the "long wave" pattern that times the precipitation with the weekends on a fairly regular basis. So essentially 5 straight months of shit weather with a sprinkling of tolerable days mixed in.

A weak El Nino has set up in the Pacific, which should provide a steady stream of precipitation over the southern US. The Mid-Atlantic could be considered to be the northernmost reaches of the SE and might get some of this precipitation...or all of it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 879408002/

Frankly, I'm stunned that my solar energy production has been as high as it has been, with the constant cloud cover. We've had actual sunshine since Monday, and the panels are going gangbusters. I'll have a 10% surplus for February, thanks to just these 4 days.

Just loved the aroma when strolling through the reactor tunnel.  

Well on the bright side I don't need to take my dinghy down to the beach to launch it, I can cruise around my own back yard.

• Like 1

Power through it @Ajax.  It was cold and rained like hell (and snowed and sleeted) while we worked to get her rigged but we didn't care. :)

I should put this into the "Not Sailing" Pic thread but I am hell bent and determined to get a few issues resolved and get her out under sail. 

file-62.jpeg

It snowed heavily on the first day of spring last year and I did go sailing in it.  Sure, I can gut it out but it's not enjoyable, especially repeatedly.

1st_Day.thumb.jpg.84366f7f6a5894b4f21d299d8dda5cdb.jpg

• Like 1

That's hard core ^^^. Nicely done. 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

It snowed heavily on the first day of spring last year and I did go sailing in it.  Sure, I can gut it out but it's not enjoyable, especially repeatedly.

Say what?!  Its extremely enjoyable.  The only problem is the multi sails so fast the snow all blows off.  True story. 

28059193_10209047629861629_7188190764752847830_n.jpg

@Wess now that's a great quality for a boat to have!

What's in the mugs? A hot toddy or regular rum?

18 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@Wess now that's a great quality for a boat to have!

What's in the mugs? A hot toddy or regular rum?

It was really really good (and expensive) scotch and I can't believe I was so stupid to share it with those deadbeat knucklehead friends!  :P

Oh and neither of them can sail for shit.  Especially dinghies!!  :D

Wess

shhh - its my secret plan to uncover their socks

11 hours ago, Ajax said:

As bad as that looks, I'd rather be there than at the office.

9 hours ago, bgytr said:

As bad as that looks, I'd rather be there than at the office.

Agreed. You can always put the anchor down and go down into the cabin to warm up and have a drink.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ajax said:

Agreed. You can always put the anchor down and go down into the cabin to warm up and have a drink.

Smile Ajax.....

I think we're finally "there" in terms of pleasant sailing weather. I'll be out this week or this weekend, for sure.

11 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I think we're finally "there" in terms of pleasant sailing weather. I'll be out this week or this weekend, for sure.

Share some photos @Ajax

23 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Share some photos @Ajax

Photos without snow in them. :rolleyes:

Come on out; the water is fine!  Was a tad chilly on Sunday morning though.

file7-1.gif

Whew...yeah, but crisp and clear!

Ah come on.  Nothing on the "rodney horn?"  SA is really going weak.  We want to ditch it but its so freaking funny we can't.  Did manage to scare the shit out of ourselves when we accidentally found and hit the rodney horn button!!!  :blink:

5 hours ago, Lanikaisailor said:

The C36 came with a "rodney horn?"  Dang!

Its a special option the PO insisted on as a condition of purchase. Of all the things....

• Like 1

does it sound like this? 

Ahhh... I made the first sail of the season after work yesterday. Sunny, cool and light breezes so I could safety check everything in relaxed conditions at an easy pace.

I've come to the conclusion that my attempt to have the shower sump and mail bilge pump share a discharge line is a total failure. Water always gets past the check valves in one direction or the other and it's just not wise to have a check valve in the discharge line with a centrifugal pump anyway.

I've been so baffled by water in the bilge that for a time, I wondered if my keel bolts were leaking. Yesterday's sail proved that the keel bolts are sound.

• Like 1

Sweeeeet!  Happy for you.  Except for your bafflement on the bilge issues. 

For my part, I'm going to the yard each night to finish some glass and fairing stuff, getting some crew down to help paint the bottom Saturday... splash in a week or 10 days.  Fingers crossed as always.  See you out there soon, I hope. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lex Teredo said:

Sweeeeet!  Happy for you.  Except for your bafflement on the bilge issues. 

For my part, I'm going to the yard each night to finish some glass and fairing stuff, getting some crew down to help paint the bottom Saturday... splash in a week or 10 days.  Fingers crossed as always.  See you out there soon, I hope. 

I've come up with a solution-  I'm going to add a T-fitting to the sink in the head and plumb the shower sump discharge to that.  The main bilge pump can have the main discharge all to itself again and I can get rid of all the check valves.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:51 PM, Ajax said:

No,  they still stink. It's the amine used in the CO2 scrubbers. 

Eau de amine.

I remember it well after 18 months in the shipyard and 6 patrols.

Good old days.

• Like 1

I took my Dyer dinghy sailing after work yesterday.

I live at the head of a creek that feeds into a river that feeds into the Chesapeake Bay. We have osprey nesting platforms everywhere. What a joy it was, to sail among the osprey and ducks. The ornamental cherry trees and other native flora are finally starting to pop. 

The creek was blissfully silent as the summer drone of lawnmowers, string trimmers and leaf blowers hasn't started yet. The Dyer gets along on the barest puff of wind so I never unshipped my oars. Occasionally, I'd get a puff that sent me zooming along with a satisfying rush of water against the hull.

It was an excellent afternoon of what I call "Dylan Winter Sailing."  ;)

• Like 3

Lets go folks!  I am hoping to anchor out overnight this weekend.  This evening/tonight and/or tomorrow night.  Got the battery bank 2/3rds functional and the rudder kinda sorta almost but not quite fixed.  Should be good, LOL.  :lol:

• Like 1

AYC Spring Oxford race is this Saturday.

Forecast is cloudy and a mostly downwind run on a fading breeze. It'll be a race to get there before the wind dies. The return sail home on Sunday will be a deluge with an easterly that will make for a pleasant sail home...except for the wet. This will be the 6th consecutive rainy weekend.

CHESSS is 10 strong, 3rd largest class.

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Forecast is cloudy and a mostly downwind run on a fading breeze. It'll be a race to get there before the wind dies. The return sail home on Sunday will be a deluge with an easterly that will make for a pleasant sail home...except for the wet. This will be the 6th consecutive rainy weekend.

Enjoy the trip up the  Tred Avon!  I'm headed to Cambridge next weekend, but, down 50 to do chores at my Grandmother's house. 

• Like 1

Blame me for the rain @Ajax.  I am praying for rain every weekend for the next month.  Just had surg so can't sail and in any event a duck made a nest under the kayak on the net and the wife voted against eviction (or the roasting pan which was my first recommendation).  Once the duck leaves I will pray for sun again.  And westerlies of 15 knots.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Last year was a debacle with the dying breeze and the RC calling the race right as the wind picked up all along the course.  Hoping the folks racing it this year have a better time. We're on the sidelines awaiting new motor mounts.  I'll tolerate the risk of going to Green 9 on a bad motor mount, but anything past R2 in the Severn is OTL.

29 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

Last year was a debacle with the dying breeze and the RC calling the race right as the wind picked up all along the course.  Hoping the folks racing it this year have a better time. We're on the sidelines awaiting new motor mounts.  I'll tolerate the risk of going to Green 9 on a bad motor mount, but anything past R2 in the Severn is OTL.

The forecast is for a dying breeze this year, too.  It's a race against the breeze, not the other boats.

Sucks about the motor mounts? What's the ETA?

Monday or Tuesday next week.  Not bad. 

About 75 boats for the AYC Spring Oxford, all told. Not a bad show.

CHESSS is up to 11.  We have 3 Mini Transat's, a Dufour 40e, a Seascape, a Figaro, a Farr 11.6 and a C&C 110.  Plenty of fast, interesting boats.

The 2nd Annual AYC Spring Oxford race went extremely well this year, which made up for the mess that happened last year.

The RC was organized and did great for the starts and finishes. The wind held out for the entire race and the rain held off until just after everyone finished. Hinckley sponsored the race again and allotted 6 free drink tickets per boat. (This works out very favorably for CHESSS boats where a singlehander gets to drink all 6 tickets) TAYC hosted a very nice after party and the trophies were very nice as well.

CHESSS had 13 entries. 10 actually showed up. I placed 4th.  The start was downwind, so a nice long run, followed by a long, tight reach up the Choptank River, with the final leg being upwind into the Tred Avon.

The ride home on Sunday was cold, wet and sloppy, but thankfully not dead upwind, so no tacking was necessary. I put the dodger up and huddled underneath most of the time while Jack-in-the-Box drove home.

• Like 3

Nicely done. 

I like TAYC.  Gracious folks, good parties. 

• Like 1

I forgot- Gratuitous spinnaker shot:

A_spin.thumb.jpg.4d47b71f5f5c6657155a4c8e4b65807c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

I forgot- Gratuitous spinnaker shot:

A_spin.thumb.jpg.4d47b71f5f5c6657155a4c8e4b65807c.jpg

Huh. Almost didn't recognize that spinnaker without it being wrapped around the forestay. :D We call it the "Ajax Gybe Method (tm, patent pending)" 

Congrats on your placing, and the polish job looks top-notch!

4 hours ago, Illegal Smile said:

Huh. Almost didn't recognize that spinnaker without it being wrapped around the forestay. :D We call it the "Ajax Gybe Method (tm, patent pending)" 

Congrats on your placing, and the polish job looks top-notch!

Damn right,  patent pending. 

If this guy happens to show up again I just want to pass the word on - Frosty SUCKS on the bow. Poor fuck couldn't get out the way fast enough and in the first tack the jib knocked him overboard. We saw him floating as we went by, but he didnt even shout or anything. He was gone by the time we got back. Not a trace, just one of those little spatula arms floating in circles. 

Now that I see this pic again I'm thinking maybe he was pissed we didnt include him in the tactical planning session we had on the way to the start. For a short, round guy he was quite the ladies man though. 

FB_IMG_1557794327738.jpg

FB_IMG_1557794797100.jpg

Memorial Day weekend!

We're sailing for Chestertown. The marina says they're full but they've put me on a waiting list. The wind looks favorable for the trip- brisk, far enough off the nose that we shouldn't tack much, if at all.

I'm not sure if we'll make it all in one day but we have contingencies if we don't. C-town is having all sorts of celebrations and parades this weekend. Could be a good time.

• Like 1