Ajax

Chesapeake 2019

Recommended Posts

If we get six feet of rain again this year, I'm selling the boat and buying a submarine.

Just sayin'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My uncle drove a sub. Got to see in that.

Try 8ft of rain in squamish or 27ft at kennedy lake near tofino...plus a 20 yr storm:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

My uncle drove a sub. Got to see in that.

Try 8ft of rain in squamish or 27ft at kennedy lake near tofino...plus a 20 yr storm:(

I also drove submarines...and lived in Wa. State, Bangor. Beautiful place but the constant gray and drizzle made me near suicidal so I went back to the east coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about that plan - one night on a sub and my wife made me put my clothes outside. Do new ones smell better?

In other news, algae is growing all over my sheds, my place looks like an ad for "why not to live in Seattle" and we are 3,000 miles from there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No,  they still stink. It's the amine used in the CO2 scrubbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the feeling. Just hoping for a MUCH better sailing season this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year we got little snow and a rainy spring, summer and fall. 

This year we've already gotten about as much snow as we did for all of 2018 - hope this "reverse" trend continues and we have a good sailing season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way this winter got started and is likely to end, it'll be 5 full months without sailing. That's a record for me. The bad kind.  Usually I squeeze a day in here or there, during the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on the plus side with the current winter,  no mosquiotos....  Yet.

hope we got all the snow we are going to get...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

on the plus side with the current winter,  no mosquiotos....  Yet.

hope we got all the snow we are going to get...

Amen.  I finally bought a snow blower. Hopefully that will keep the snow away. You can blame me for last year's deluge of rain, too. I bought solar panels.  :blink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

on the plus side with the current winter,  no mosquiotos....  Yet.

hope we got all the snow we are going to get...

Hey hey, stop that kind of talk.  I love sailing in the snow!   Got out quite a few times already this year in the Chesapeake!  More snow!  MORE SNOW!!!

OK, I wouldn't mind if it goes all full SPRING on us either.  But just stop this cold and rain shit.  I would rather have snow than that.  Well once I get the new cruising boat here and launched anyway.  So...  OK... I want 2 weeks of SPRING weather, then 4 weeks of SNOW, then back to full SPRING!!  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, Ajax said:

If we get six feet of rain again this year, I'm selling the boat and buying a submarine.

Just sayin'.

Look on the bright side, after all the rain, the places you ran aground last year will be deeper this year!

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I would vastly prefer it never get above freezing until March 1 than what we have now. The warm/freeze cycles turn the whole island into a muddy mess :angry:

Speaking of boats and snow, one snowy January day we tried to combine snow and water skiing. I whipped the boat hard starboard off the beach at Ski Island and by friend hit the snow at 30 knots, the skegs dug in and wouldn't let him turn back out, and he ended up crashing into the bushes :o:lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... eight weeks of winter left and I have about thirty weeks of winter projects left to do. :unsure:

At least I've got the mast muscled into the greenhouse, so I can go over that in relative comfort.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, toddster said:

Hmm... eight weeks of winter left and I have about thirty weeks of winter projects left to do. :unsure:

At least I've got the mast muscled into the greenhouse, so I can go over that in relative comfort.   

Yes - maybe 4 more weeks of winter here, and too many projects...ripping out old useless and unused pumps installed years ago...god knows why I thought the boat needed pressure water [never used!] and a shower sump pump (will use pressure water pump as an anchor wash down pump), ham radio install (thanks for the advice, K.I.S.), and on and on and on...buying some Al-Zn brazing rods tomorrow to try to fix my ailing, aging engine freshwater pump, then start planning the autopilot install...and I got a free radar...should I incorporate it into my wind gen pole, or not bother with it at all...lotsa projects, two months left!  Of course, winter here is hardly winter, just rain.  And snow on the mountains, a skiing distraction from projects...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it was 18 two nights ago and will be in the 50s tomorrow. Endless dog-paw cleaning :( I could go sailing if I wanted to, depends on my tolerance for re-antifreezing the engine. The interior stays above freezing with the heat on, but I get nightmares of being out of town, having a cold snap, and the heater blowing a fuse.

Jud - What kind of radar did you get? Used radars, even if free, can end up being expensive. They are time and money to mount and a lot of the older ones are no longer supported. Also unlike a lot of boat gear, new radars are hugely improved over some of the older ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Well it was 18 two nights ago and will be in the 50s tomorrow. Endless dog-paw cleaning :( I could go sailing if I wanted to, depends on my tolerance for re-antifreezing the engine. The interior stays above freezing with the heat on, but I get nightmares of being out of town, having a cold snap, and the heater blowing a fuse.

Jud - What kind of radar did you get? Used radars, even if free, can end up being expensive. They are time and money to mount and a lot of the older ones are no longer supported. Also unlike a lot of boat gear, new radars are hugely improved over some of the older ones.

It’s a JRC 1000 (or 1500?).  It came off a boat in a high end YC - owner wanted to upgrade and had it carefully removed, no wires cut, carefully packed away, even has the manual in perfect condition.  I’m not wedded to having a radar. (But I would get one when going to high latitudes again, having been fogged in and very nearly run down by a 60’ fish boat.) For the cost of buying a new radar, I can finish our re-rig, a far greater priority for a planned offshore trip :-). But I was thinking, hell, the wind gen pole is down now, and I saw a boat with a radome incorporated into an offset bend in a pole with wind gen on top and it made me think, “hmm, now would be the time to do this, since pole is already down...”. Or should I go whole hog and build an arch, leaving me an option for future radome and solar panels...no!!!  Project creep...still, I haven’t figured out where two panels will go...another pole, for radar, on starboard side, would give me a panel-mounting option...project creep! :-)

002F4DA7-65E1-4994-BCAC-BC94913D5FB3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chester said:

I have a foolproof solution for project creep...start no projects!!

LOL...yeah, if I lived in Florida, I wouldn't get much done. Winter forces me to give the boat the maintenance that it needs.

@Jud - s/v Sputnik I too, am fitting a used radar. I bought a Raymarine 4kw array that will plug into my Ray C80 plotter for $200.  My boat came with an ancient, non-functional Raymarine Pathfinder radar. I discovered that I could make the bracket work with the newer 4kw array with a minor modification.  I do need to buy a cable, unfortunately.

Radar is a 2nd tier need on the Chesapeake. We just don't get that much fog. If l lived in New England, it would be at the top of the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I was just thinking about taking the old Furuno down from the mast. I think I decided to leave it where it is. I think I’ve fallen back on the “this boat is too small for an arch!” side of the fence.  “Leave Stuff As It Is” is leading in the let’s-internalize-the-halyards debate as well.

My reasoning for installing the old unit in the first place was (beyond toy addiction) just to learn to use radar. No question that the newer units with lower power consumption, greater resolution, and system integration are a far better choice.  Really should have the display at the helm, which for a small boat means an MFD.  (I can peer down through the companionway from the helm and see the display at the chart table, 8 feet away. But it’s a bit iffy.)

Just got sticker shock, again, looking at the new stuff.  Not At This Time.  Yeah, other people’s discarded toys are still a decent bargain.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, toddster said:

Funny, I was just thinking about taking the old Furuno down from the mast. I think I decided to leave it where it is. I think I’ve fallen back on the “this boat is too small for an arch!” side of the fence.  “Leave Stuff As It Is” is leading in the let’s-internalize-the-halyards debate as well.

My reasoning for installing the old unit in the first place was (beyond toy addiction) just to learn to use radar. No question that the newer units with lower power consumption, greater resolution, and system integration are a far better choice.  Really should have the display at the helm, which for a small boat means an MFD.  (I can peer down through the companionway from the helm and see the display at the chart table, 8 feet away. But it’s a bit iffy.)

Just got sticker shock, again, looking at the new stuff.  Not At This Time.  Yeah, other people’s discarded toys are still a decent bargain.  

You got that right. I picked up an old Pathfinder unit in pretty mint shape for $300, and built my own 8' pole assembly for it. All in, less than $700. It does what I need it to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ajax - with a look at the weather it seems my Laser and UFO sailing might come to a halt mid week.  I would be willing however to take your Hobie and afix ice skate blades to it and see what kind of damage could be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Wess said:

@Ajax - with a look at the weather it seems my Laser and UFO sailing might come to a halt mid week.  I would be willing however to take your Hobie and afix ice skate blades to it and see what kind of damage could be done.

That is not entirely crazy.  If the boat found a weak spot in the ice, it would float.

This hasn't been a good year for bay ice though. It'd be worth a try on a more consistently cold year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

That is not entirely crazy.  If the boat found a weak spot in the ice, it would float.

This hasn't been a good year for bay ice though. It'd be worth a try on a more consistently cold year.

My new (to us) boat arrives in a few days post refit in FL.  Just crane up the mast, recommission and we are ready. The double wide slip had pilings pulled is ready (as of 2 hours ago). Heck; we are beyond ready... we are desperate to splash and do some shake-down winter cruising.  So rest assured a solid hard and long freeze is about to descend upon us.  There will be ice everywhere and it will stay a longggggggg time.  You can blame me but I will be already too pissed off to care, LOL. Thus my search to find a iceboat...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out on a J30 yesterday in Naptown.  Saw a few other boats, plus a fleet of Lasers from SSA.  Frostbites start Sunday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wettest Winter in US History:
https://edit.wunderground.com/cat6/Wett ... =hp-slot-2

Seriously, I'm fed up with the rain.

This winter was far from being the coldest, but it's been very long and very wet. Temperatures dropped to "not sailing" ranges around the latter half of October and will continue through at least the first half of March, possibly all of March. The ground has been saturated for months. My favorite part about all this has been the "long wave" pattern that times the precipitation with the weekends on a fairly regular basis. So essentially 5 straight months of shit weather with a sprinkling of tolerable days mixed in.

A weak El Nino has set up in the Pacific, which should provide a steady stream of precipitation over the southern US. The Mid-Atlantic could be considered to be the northernmost reaches of the SE and might get some of this precipitation...or all of it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 879408002/

Frankly, I'm stunned that my solar energy production has been as high as it has been, with the constant cloud cover. We've had actual sunshine since Monday, and the panels are going gangbusters. I'll have a 10% surplus for February, thanks to just these 4 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just loved the aroma when strolling through the reactor tunnel.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well on the bright side I don't need to take my dinghy down to the beach to launch it, I can cruise around my own back yard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power through it @Ajax.  It was cold and rained like hell (and snowed and sleeted) while we worked to get her rigged but we didn't care. :)

I should put this into the "Not Sailing" Pic thread but I am hell bent and determined to get a few issues resolved and get her out under sail. 

file-62.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It snowed heavily on the first day of spring last year and I did go sailing in it.  Sure, I can gut it out but it's not enjoyable, especially repeatedly.

 

1st_Day.thumb.jpg.84366f7f6a5894b4f21d299d8dda5cdb.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's hard core ^^^. Nicely done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

It snowed heavily on the first day of spring last year and I did go sailing in it.  Sure, I can gut it out but it's not enjoyable, especially repeatedly.

 

1st_Day.thumb.jpg.84366f7f6a5894b4f21d299d8dda5cdb.jpg

Say what?!  Its extremely enjoyable.  The only problem is the multi sails so fast the snow all blows off.  True story. 

28059193_10209047629861629_7188190764752847830_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wess now that's a great quality for a boat to have!

What's in the mugs? A hot toddy or regular rum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@Wess now that's a great quality for a boat to have!

What's in the mugs? A hot toddy or regular rum?

It was really really good (and expensive) scotch and I can't believe I was so stupid to share it with those deadbeat knucklehead friends!  :P

Oh and neither of them can sail for shit.  Especially dinghies!!  :D

Wess

shhh - its my secret plan to uncover their socks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ajax said:

It snowed heavily on the first day of spring last year and I did go sailing in it.  Sure, I can gut it out but it's not enjoyable, especially repeatedly.

 

1st_Day.thumb.jpg.84366f7f6a5894b4f21d299d8dda5cdb.jpg

As bad as that looks, I'd rather be there than at the office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bgytr said:

As bad as that looks, I'd rather be there than at the office.

Agreed. You can always put the anchor down and go down into the cabin to warm up and have a drink.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ajax said:

Agreed. You can always put the anchor down and go down into the cabin to warm up and have a drink.

Smile Ajax.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now