Sign in to follow this  
Alan H

Old swageless terminals

My 1971 Piper One Design has rigging which terminates at the deck with swageless terminals.   Now, according to the former owner, who had the boat for about 8 years, the boat hasn't sailed in at least twenty five years.  I assume that he heard that from whomever HE bought the boat from.  So I'm thinking that those swageless terminals are very possibly original.

If I look at 'em under a low power microscope and  don't see any cracks, are they legit to re-use?  I've never messed with swageless terminals before and I gotta do something. I'm not taking the boat out with two stranded lower shrouds, which is what it's got, now.

If they look good after a good polishing and inspection they are probably ok

If they are Norseman terminals you may need new cones after removing the old wire; cones may be hard to find as they haven't been made for several years. Sometimes an old cone can be reused.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/rigging-and-reusing-old-parts-174302.html

If they are Sta-loks, same situation, you will need new wedges and maybe formers too. They are still in manufacture.

https://blog.stalok.com/2014/06/sta-lok-faqs-can-i-reuse-sta-lok-fittings/

I have 35 year old Norsemans that are still going strong. I bought spare cones a few years ago when my rigger notified me they would no longer be available.

Cracking of the body of a mechanical fitting is extremely rare. Most common failure is the internal cone, usually made of brass, would corrode to where the wedge action was compromised. So a full disassembly is required to check. They should be assembled with the interior filled with some flavor of sealant to keep out the salty stuff, but this was not called for in original instructions.

Some modern fittings, including the Sta-loc noted above, and the Hayn hi-mods, use a ss cone. The Hayn directions specifically called for NO sealant, probably to prevent anoxic corrosion.

Taking old norseman fitting apart is always chancy, many times the thread would gall

Sounds like is a good, solid..."maybe". As in, look and see.  I'll just take the wires off the boat on Sunday and get 'em home and disassemble everything and see.  Word from one of the OD Stalwarts is that the rigging is way over-strong for what's needed.

Patrick Childress, who posts here on occasion, uses liquid butyl rubber in his Norsemans and seems to be able to reuse them many times. Here's one of his vids where he talks about it and he shows it in another: