Sign in to follow this  
hasher

Confederate Avenue being renamed

Recommended Posts

It will now be United Avenue.  This is my neighborhood in Atlanta.

I walk/run through one of the oldest cemeteries in Atlanta.  I see the monument to those who died in THE war.  I see the rows of tombstones.  It hurts.

I have no antipathy for the Old South.  This is a new day.  We don't need to keep fighting about yesterday.  The South is on the rise as it should be.  There is opportunity here for those who desire to better themselves.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hasher said:

It will now be United Avenue.  This is my neighborhood in Atlanta.

I walk/run through one of the oldest cemeteries in Atlanta.  I see the monument to those who died in THE war.  I see the rows of tombstones.  It hurts.

I have no antipathy for the Old South.  This is a new day.  We don't need to keep fighting about yesterday.  The South is on the rise as it should be.  There is opportunity here for those who desire to better themselves.

The University of North Carolina chancellor was just fired..... well, let's just say her resignation was accepted earlier than anticipated by her..... over the issue of the removal of a statue of a Confederate soldier.

There's a bunch of issues with the Myth of the Lost Cause and it's counter-push. The one that I see as smoking out the closet bigots is the oft-seen insistence that somehow people who are offended are making things up, or blowing things out of proportion, or are being rude and disrespectful of history, or similar. Hey stupids, it's THEIR history of being oppressed and enslaved that is being flung in their face by your historical monument, and your insistence that they don't have the rights any normal citizen should have, is just fuckin' racist and retarded.

There is nothing "dignified and civilized," as the chairman of the UNC system said, about insisting that black students must honor a historical monument to a soldier who fought to keep their ancestors enslaved.

I dislike disorder. It's messy and potentially dangerous. Good management tends to minimize disorder. Arrogance is not good management.

-DSK

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

closet bigots

Although I have spent my adult life in the South, I will always be a Yankee to southerners.  I kind of like being the outsider because it gives perspective.  Most of my colleagues do not share the same skin color.  That's been healthy for me too.

There are things that people say in private that they would not say in public.  I have heard them.   

Wyche Fowler was once a US Senator from Georgia.  Some called him the white N from Atlanta.  I'd consider that a compliment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting cultural/sociological experiment will be to see which demographic quickly adopts the new name and which continues to use Confederate Avenue.

In places where Macy’s took over local department store chains, some older folks still use the older name. (Eg: Marshall Fields in Chicago)  same with the Sears Tower and not Willis Tower, also in Chicago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

An interesting cultural/sociological experiment will be to see which demographic quickly adopts the new name and which continues to use Confederate Avenue.

In places where Macy’s took over local department store chains, some older folks still use the older name. (Eg: Marshall Fields in Chicago)  same with the Sears Tower and not Willis Tower, also in Chicago.

 

This was way late in coming.  I had an acquaintance unhappy with his grandmother staying.  He had no vision that this inner city is rising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hasher said:

Macy’s took over local department store chains

In Atlanta we had Davidsons.  Macy's bought it and kept the old name for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The south is only gonna rise again because global warming is melting the glaciers, and the surface mount cemetery vaults are gonna start floating around like little concrete Monitors and Merrimacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

cemetery vaults

Have you been to New Orleans? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, hasher said:

Have you been to New Orleans? 

Oui M'ssr, et vous?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

about insisting that black students must honor a historical monument to a soldier

I can't seem to find a story claiming that black students " must honor" the "silent sam" statue..

Have any details?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hasher said:

It will now be United Avenue.  This is my neighborhood in Atlanta.

I walk/run through one of the oldest cemeteries in Atlanta.  I see the monument to those who died in THE war.  I see the rows of tombstones.  It hurts.

I have no antipathy for the Old South.  This is a new day.  We don't need to keep fighting about yesterday.  The South is on the rise as it should be.  There is opportunity here for those who desire to better themselves.

Progress however slow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hasher said:

In Atlanta we had Davidsons.  Macy's bought it and kept the old name for decades.

We had Rich's and Davidson's.  My mother had her Davidson's credit card until about a decade ago.  

Glad they changed Confederate to United, have not heard any grumbling but I am sure there is.  Where do you stand on Stone Mountain?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 2slow said:

Where do you stand on Stone Mountain?  

I like thinking we can have a MLK Jr. also reflected upon there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

In places where Macy’s took over local department store chains, some older folks still use the older name. (Eg: Marshall Fields in Chicago)  same with the Sears Tower and not Willis Tower, also in Chicago.

It'll always be just National Airport to me.

Let the old south fade away; there is little to celebrate in the monuments to institutional racism like Silent Sam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just an old white guy.  I can't imagine the emotional impact racism has.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old place names die out very slowly.  Just ask a New Yorker where "Avenue of the America's" is.  Finally they will say, "Oh, you mean 6th?  Yeah. It's one block that way."  The street was theoretically renamed 50+ years ago.

That said, United is a good name for that street.  It should catch on because it's logical.  Out here, we had no overarching name for the combined waters of Puget Sound, the Straits of Juan de Fuca and Straits of Georgia - even though they are all interconnected - until a university geographer suggested the "Salish Sea" and it caught on immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

It'll always be just National Airport to me.

Let the old south fade away; there is little to celebrate in the monuments to institutional racism like Silent Sam.

Same here.  I lived in DC in the late 60s and early 70s when it was a city of northern charm and southern efficiency.  The airport will always be National to me as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

Only the libtards care about this issue.

Properly so , since we are diverse and welcoming majority and why you are a fading, shrinking minority.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

Only the libtards care about this issue.

People who respect each other show respect.  

You are an ass.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Properly so , since we are diverse and welcoming majority and why you are a fading, shrinking minority.  

Unfortunately, not fading or shrinking fast enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling that, with a few more steady drip, drip, drips and rank stupidities like this petulant shut down, those fervent tRumpster rallies are going to thin out fast. 

Metaphor #1:  When the audience can see through the magician's con, they can feel pretty stupid and angry.  They tend to want their money back.

Metaphor #2:  When that shiny gold spray paint starts to tarnish and peel, it looks like junk in a hurry.  People won't even look twice at it at a yard sale.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

Yes, look at that maority that elected Trump!

map.jpg

" I respect people you ass" standard libtard hypocracy. 

 

The Maori were not eligible to vote in the US. Try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

Yes, look at that maority that elected Trump!

map.jpg

" I respect people you ass" standard libtard hypocracy. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAYI-GAf9InlAp9Hf5KVU

Did you have a comment?  Trump lost the vote.  The electoral college was set up to prevent a traitor from becoming president.

He is obviously unsuited for the position.

The Don will go down as all gangsters do in a land of law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump IS President and the US and the world are the worse for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

Trump won the election

He lost the vote.  Do you do arithmetic?  He is about to be found a felon.  Love it. F U

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hasher said:

I like thinking we can have a MLK Jr. also reflected upon there.

That's exactly what I want.  International competition, gigantic high profile granite canvas.... it could be a special memorial, and putting MLK Jr. on Stone Mountain is meaningful and symbolic in so many ways.  Just and fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2slow said:

That's exactly what I want.  International competition, gigantic high profile granite canvas.... it could be a special memorial, and putting MLK Jr. on Stone Mountain is meaningful and symbolic in so many ways.  Just and fitting.

Good God.  We can respect the history and move forward.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Not guilty said:

He won the election.Do you do American elections? He has not even been indicted so he is nowhere near being a felon ever. Your girl lost. Love it! Suck it bitch.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7HwUWZjvrB3gkMSBRxLE 

Hello queen,

You don't have an idea of life.  Are you a clown?  No.  Clowns are intelligent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Not guilty said:

Only the libtards care about this issue.

That and allowing men to use the ladies room. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

That and allowing men to use the ladies room. 

Are you paranoid? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Not guilty said:

I don't know about him but I am, paranoid about car wrecks so I wear a seat belt, paranoid about house fires so I have a fire extinguisher, paranoid about drowning so I keep flotation devices onboard, paranoid about a bike wreck so I wear a helmet. You want to live recklessly and with no worry of the consequences to what will happen to your family if you die, you go out and be that kind of asshole.

build a wall

I will donate a shovel

Don't expect the rest of us to fund your insanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the ladies room often.

 If I need to take a crap. and the only stall in the men's room is occupied, I'll look around, see if there's a passle of ladies present. if there is I'll say" heads up ladies! I gotta use your room for a couple of minutes!" and just go in. No one's ever bothered me about it. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Not guilty said:

We will build a wall, and Americans have donated over $20 million of our money to help fund the cause the first time around and are already up to $7 million this time around. So it looks like the rest of America is funding our great wall.

No. Wrong again.  Get a brain and come around again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Not guilty said:

Defeating libtards is as easy as posting facts now lets see you pivot on this:

Donors have given Brian Kolfage, the wounded veteran behind the viral GoFundMe "Trump Wall" campaign, permission to transfer at least $7 million to his new plan to privately fund and build a southern border wall, 

Kolfage first launched the "Trump Wall" campaign in December, and $20 million was pledged from more than 300,000 people

The money has been returned.  Get current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell you what. Set up a go fund me site to put up a border wall. When it gets to 5.7 billion. I'll give it to the US Govt, to build that wall. In the mean time, I will draw off that fund to keep myself in the comfortable existence in which I exist..... OK?

 Good! Set it up buddies! I'm waiting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

We will build a wall, and Americans have donated over $20 million of our money to help fund the cause the first time around and are already up to $7 million this time around. So it looks like the rest of America is funding our great wall.

5 billion is being requested for 215 miles.  That's $4,404.51 ft a linear fucking foot.

Your $7 million gets you just under 1,600 ft of wall. 

You know what the root cause of the issue is?   The part that really pisses me off?  Nobody is doing the math.  You are bragging about "the rest of America" funding .015% of the wall.  Is this something you are really that proud of?

Jesus H. Fucking Christ.  It's division and multiplication.  It's not really that tough. No wonder Trump was elected.  We are a nation of idiots. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

It is already set up, why would I set up another one for the same thing. It already has $7 million. America has made its voice heard, we will secure our southern border. 

Still no facts to back up your buddy on your pivot though?

$7,000,000 is what percent of $5,700,000,000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

$7,000,000 is what percent of $5,700,000,000?

And what percentage of wall does it get you?

The figure I have found is 5 billion buys us 215 miles.  The $7 million of wall requires an inconvenient walk to the east.  A 90 year old with a walker could probably pull it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, benwynn said:
16 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

$7,000,000 is what percent of $5,700,000,000?

And what percentage of wall does it get you?

The figure I have found is 5 billion buys us 215 miles.  The $7 million of wall requires an inconvenient walk to the east.  A 90 year old with a walker could probably pull it off

I wish them well. Let the folks who want the wall pay for the wall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like this one?

image.png.cd356c3d71c5d3d04ad36abb6ae40915.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Not guilty said:

So where is your current facts?

In the newpaper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

Cite..the word is CITE. A site is the plot or small piece of land you park your caravan (trailer or mobile home) on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hasher said:

It will now be United Avenue.  This is my neighborhood in Atlanta.

I walk/run through one of the oldest cemeteries in Atlanta.  I see the monument to those who died in THE war.  I see the rows of tombstones.  It hurts.

I have no antipathy for the Old South.  This is a new day.  We don't need to keep fighting about yesterday.  The South is on the rise as it should be.  There is opportunity here for those who desire to better themselves.

Shocked it took them this long.  Wonder how many other ones there are in the Old South?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Snore said:

Shocked it took them this long.  Wonder how many other ones there are in the Old South?

We still have a "Robert E. Lee" high school here in Jax, FL..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The South is on the rise as it should be."

The difficulty is the South rising is bringing back the old attitudes of segregation, elitism, disenfranchisement, degradation of public services and poverty. The South was NEVER a region governed by the concept "by the people, of the people, for the people" but "by the RIGHT people, for the RIGHT people, of the RIGHT people". This is why we see the government we have today, headed by a distracting idiot while the RIGHT people lock in gains for the RIGHT minorities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Like this one?

image.png.cd356c3d71c5d3d04ad36abb6ae40915.png

I can see I worded that wrong

"They send you an autographed pitcher of Jesus, hisself"

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cool thing about that GoFundMe deal? Even when all the $ is returned our super patriot guy has accumulated a huge number of gullible fellow patriots emails to sell. There's gold in them thar walls I tells ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Not guilty said:

How much wall does that build?

Let me help you with some updated numbers.   A study at MIT has determined that Trump is using the cost of fencing in his estimates, not the cost of a wall.  They've come up with an estimate of $38 billion for 1,000 miles, which is the length not protected by natural barriers.  

That's  $7,196.97 a foot. 

Your $7 million dollars buys 972 ft, 7 and 9/16s inches.  That's .00018 of the total wall.   All you need are 5,429 more of these campaigns and you are good to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shortforbob said:
7 hours ago, Not guilty said:

Cite..the word is CITE. A site is the plot or small piece of land you park your caravan (trailer or mobile home) on.

You ignorant and illiterate prick.

FIFY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

The cool thing about that GoFundMe deal? Even when all the $ is returned our super patriot guy has accumulated a huge number of gullible fellow patriots emails to sell. There's gold in them thar walls I tells ya.

It makes me wonder if the donations to televangelists are down this month.

Seems like a significant overlap in the target market

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 hours ago, Not guilty said:

Yes, look at that maority that elected Trump!

That's not a majority (or a "maority", but whatev).  It's a minority, just more spread out (since nobody wants to live near ya?).

 

17 hours ago, Not guilty said:

Defeating libtards is as easy as posting facts now lets see you pivot on this:

Donors have given Brian Kolfage, the wounded veteran behind the viral GoFundMe "Trump Wall" campaign, permission to transfer at least $7 million to his new plan to privately fund and build a southern border wall, 

Kolfage first launched the "Trump Wall" campaign in December, and $20 million was pledged from more than 300,000 people

Only need to do it another 815 times, to raise the 5.7 billion Donnie's asking for.

 

 

Numbers just aren't your thing, huh?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, frenchie said:
19 hours ago, Not guilty said:

Yes, look at that maority that elected Trump!

That's not a majority (or a "maority", but whatev).  It's a minority, just more spread out (since nobody wants to live near ya?).

Maybe he means Maori's that voted for Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Maybe he means Maori's that voted for Trump.

I already addressed that upthread.

37 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Numbers just aren't your thing, huh?

 

 

Neither is English. Or anything else, for that matter. He certainly is a glimpse into a Trump supporter's brain. What the other 98% of the skull contents is composed of seems to be compost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hasher said:

Did you have a comment?  Trump lost the vote.  The electoral college was set up to prevent a traitor from becoming president.

He is obviously unsuited for the position.

The Don will go down as all gangsters do in a land of law.

No, the electoral college was set up because it was thought that populism was a bad way to select someone for the office they envisioned, the will of The People in this matter should be moderated by the judgement of elites...but whom to give it to? A conundrum.

  Nobody trusted in achieving a House of Representatives that would be free of political intrigues. It could not be handed to the Senate because that body was too far from The People. The Senate gave two votes to very state, no matter how small it's population. What to do...what to do...

 It was decided that each Congressional district would elect an elite who would form a congress...another word for college at that time, really...which would convene for that one and only one task. What they overlooked or accepted out of a political necessity to settle this issue is that anybody who was elected for one and only one task is asked one and only one question. 

 

 It never functioned as intended..and right from the get-go.  

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Not Guilty is out of the drunk tank again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 1:00 PM, Mark K said:

No, the electoral college was set up because it was thought that populism was a bad way to select someone for the office they envisioned, the will of The People in this matter should be moderated by the judgement of elites...but whom to give it to? A conundrum.

  Nobody trusted in achieving a House of Representatives that would be free of political intrigues. It could not be handed to the Senate because that body was too far from The People. The Senate gave two votes to very state, no matter how small it's population. What to do...what to do...

 It was decided that each Congressional district would elect an elite who would form a congress...another word for college at that time, really...which would convene for that one and only one task. What they overlooked or accepted out of a political necessity to settle this issue is that anybody who was elected for one and only one task is asked one and only one question. 

 

 It never functioned as intended..and right from the get-go.  

That’s sort of kind of the reason we didn’t have direct election of the President. But there are many ways to achieve that. Avoiding direct election doesn’t require giving Wyoming three electors for its  580,000 people.

It was a deal along with the 3/5ths compromise to give the less populous South more electoral power.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

That’s sort of kind of the reason we didn’t have direct election of the President. But there are many ways to achieve that. Avoiding direct election doesn’t require giving Wyoming three electors for its  580,000 people.

It was a deal along with the 3/5ths compromise to give the less populous South more electoral power.

 Primarily, but there were low population states in the north too. Fluffing the Electoral College up a bit for the low population states is in keeping with the notion that resulted in each state having equal say in the Senate, so it seems a logical compromise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

That’s sort of kind of the reason we didn’t have direct election of the President. But there are many ways to achieve that. Avoiding direct election doesn’t require giving Wyoming three electors for its  580,000 people.

Do you feel the same way about Vermont?

Since there are 538 electors, how small a representation do you think a state should have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mark K said:

 Primarily, but there were low population states in the north too. Fluffing the Electoral College up a bit for the low population states is in keeping with the notion that resulted in each state having equal say in the Senate, so it seems a logical compromise. 

1. Virginia    447,016
2. Pennsylvania 240,057
3. Massachusetts 235,808
4. Maryland 202,599
5. North Carolina 197,200
6. Connecticut 183,881
7. New York 162,920
8. South Carolina 124,244
9.  New Jersey 117,431
10. Rhode Island 58,196
11. New Hampshire 62,396
12. Delaware 35,496
13. Georgia 23,375

That’s 1770, free and slave. A better picture is:

https://web.viu.ca/davies/h320/population.colonies.htm

The population ratio of CA to WY is now 70 to 1. Kinda stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Not guilty said:

Like a normal libtard, you try and pivot. The campaign isn't over yet. Has America donated money to build the mall, yes or no? 

I will answer it for you since you are bad with facts and will just pivot to something else because you lost.

 

And @hasher where are you at? Why did you run away like a little bitch?

I think asking you how much wall the donations will build is relevant if the goal is to build a wall.

But if you are too fucking stupid to do the math, call it a pivot and don't answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Not guilty said:

Like a normal libtard, you try and pivot. The campaign isn't over yet. Has America donated money to build the mall, yes or no?

which mall is this? Mall of the Americas? Pretty sure it's been finished for some time. Malls are really falling out of fashion btw.  Donating money for malls makes even less sense that Trump's pathetic wall. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

which mall is this? Mall of the Americas? Pretty sure it's been finished for some time. Malls are really falling out of fashion btw.  Donating money for malls makes even less sense that Trump's pathetic wall. 

 

The Trump Mall, silly. It will have little teller windows in it so Mexicans can buy Trump-themed hats, jackets, and disposable underwear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Not guilty said:

oh noooos

Nose? Is it running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hasher said:

Nose? Is it running?

Hash marks made a funny. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mickey Rat said:

  RAT

do you know funny?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this