Black Jack

Three Bridge Fiasco 2019

Who's in? 

Big ebb. Let's pray for wind and sun.

This time I am going to be serious about the run. I may even try going the wrong direction. Hopefully I will not try to sink another express 27 with their egg shell hulls who likes to port tack a deadly wooden boat that is faster than they are. :angry:

• Like 1

alas, my boat will not quite be ready....

I show slack at noon at the gate. Am I looking at the wrong tables/dates? Dying ebbto a moderate flood. 

08:19 PST -3.42 knots Max Ebb

12:09 PST 0.00 knots Slack, Flood Begins

14:53 PST 2.63 knots Max Flood

17:52 PST -0.00 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

20:35 PST -3.17 knots Max Ebb

I see a 4.3 Ebb at 13.48. Add the water from this weeks storm and it should be a pretty big Ebb indeed. Little wind it seems. It will suck and the GG will suck literally

Debating it... Not sure I want to spend 12 hrs drifting around in the company of 200 other boats yet

Come on out and I'll race you for mizzen battens or something - we'll probably be the only two yawls out there.

• Like 1

well, it's a week away, who knows what the weather will be....

It'll get my sorry butt out of the Marina for the weekend!

I will be out there in a Moore!! Let’s hope for dry day

moderate easterly with a late ebb turning to flood. Blackaller, TI, RR?

I usually prefer Blackaller first regardless of conditions.  It's my best chance of saying I rounded at least one mark for the day because often times the 3BF is more about small moral victories more than anything else!

This will be our first 3BF, so thinking probably blackaller first, then TI, then red rock? We have a ~10am start. We are kind of sticky in less than 7 knots and would like to get through the wind hole behind YB while there's still good wind midday. Jibeset is showing 333 registered this year.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hugh Jorgan said:

I usually prefer Blackaller first regardless of conditions.  It's my best chance of saying I rounded at least one mark for the day because often times the 3BF is more about small moral victories more than anything else!

Unfortunately a combo of boat not quite ready and crew(daughter/driver) prepping for Prom take me out this year. 

I think Blackaller, TI, RR, but  keep your eyes open for RR after Blackaller. If it's reachy, it might be a nice carpet ride to RR, then a straight reach down to TI, a cluster, and maybe downwind against a dying flood up the cityfront.  Stay away from the Chevron docks!

• Like 1

Its going to be the warmest day of the winter so far, hope for wind! wasted last Saturday drifting during the CYC non race

8 hours ago, Hadlock said:

This will be our first 3BF, so thinking probably blackaller first, then TI, then red rock? We have a ~10am start. We are kind of sticky in less than 7 knots and would like to get through the wind hole behind YB while there's still good wind midday. Jibeset is showing 333 registered this year.

oh be sure that you bring your anchor if it gets light, we "passed" many boats while anchored last year

On 1/18/2019 at 3:39 PM, Alan H said:

It'll get my sorry butt out of the Marina for the weekend!

Hey how are you? I bought wisdom a while back, moved on to a big cruiser.

16 hours ago, benytoe said:

Hey how are you? I bought wisdom a while back, moved on to a big cruiser.

OH wow!....I'm good, have an S2 7.9 now.  I still feel bad about destroying the mainsail on your first outing with Wisdom!   I assume you sold her to someone in the Bay Area?

3 hours ago, Alan H said:

OH wow!....I'm good, have an S2 7.9 now.  I still feel bad about destroying the mainsail on your first outing with Wisdom!   I assume you sold her to someone in the Bay Area?

yea it happens but I got a new main, I bought a big cruiser to sail in comfort while I race on other boats, transpacific this year!! wisdom was donated to sea scouts because I did not want to pay for her slip while trying to sell it.

Any news on how this played out? I saw Adreniline, Beowulf V, Mamma Tried, and a lot of monos on the East side of TI, with mixed results. Looked like Mamma got away in front and will be hard to catch

1 hour ago, jonoflewis said:

Any news on how this played out? I saw Adreniline, Beowulf V, Mamma Tried, and a lot of monos on the East side of TI, with mixed results. Looked like Mamma got away in front and will be hard to catch 

From what I heard CCW was the winning way to go today.  We went CW and as a public service from now on I'm going to announce to everyone which way we're going so they can go the other way since we seem to always go the wrong direction.  Conditions were as good as you could hope for the 3BF.  8-15-ish almost all day, a little light around TI but just enough to squeeze through there. 

Looks like more than half of the participants went CW, maybe 75%? South of Angel Island, then Red Rock, one guy grounded in the shallows on the north end of RRI, plenty of wind both sides of the course to TI. Predictable parking lot on the south side of the island and then lots of traffic coming up the waterfront and reaching at the finish.

We went CCW around RRI which was a mistake, it was a reach to the south end of angel island and then had to tack east to catch up with the rest of the fleet. Had we gone CW we would have had more runway to setup the spinnaker and then reach all the way to eastern span (maybe?)

Curious to see the final results.

We went cw we were the second Moore the wrong way. The ccw Moore’s beat us by 20 minuets 

We went Blackaller, RR, TI. After rounding pt Blunt in the mix with our fleet, we tacked up Angel Island.  That paid at first but tby Raccoon Strait it was better to be out in the channel.  We rounded RR way way back in the fleet, it was bad.  However we set the chute at RR and carried at all the way to the finish and reeled in about 40 boats, so that was nice.

7 hours ago, Trevor B said:

Who won, and which way did they go?

We went CCW on Mama Tried and got the gun. 

Very fast close reach from the start to the Bay Bridge. Made it through the transitions at the South end of Yerba Buena and the back side of TI. Another fast close reach from TI to RR. Managed to avoid any collisions going around RR. Spinnaker run from RR to Blackaller through Raccoon Strait. Did some shrimping around Blackaller, but only lost a minute or two. Finished just ahead of Shadow who was approaching the finish line from the opposite direction.

Good day on the water.

• Like 2

Congratulations, Randy and Crew.   Kyle and I went CW on Shadow X and only had to tack 6 times and jibe once.  Fell into the wind hole for a couple of minutes beneath YBI, but reaching around in the Northeasterly made it a dream TBF for fast cats.  We love this race where two boats can go in completely opposite directions and finish within minutes of each other.  Maybe that's why 334 boats do it in January!

45 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

Very fast close reach from the start to the Bay Bridge. Made it through the transitions at the South end of Yerba Buena and the back side of TI. Another fast close reach from TI to RR. Managed to avoid any collisions going around RR. Spinnaker run from RR to Blackaller through Raccoon Strait. Did some shrimping around Blackaller, but only lost a minute or two. Finished just ahead of Shadow who was approaching the finish line from the opposite direction.

Good day on the water.

Congratulations on the WIN. Sounds like a great day on the water in January!

One of the better Fiascos in recent memory. We went CW. Good pressure the entire way around. Small transition whole getting into Raccoon straights - maybe all of 5 minutes. Then another transition at the south end of TI. Across the line before 2:30. We never stopped moving. And no long pants! Good day on the bay.  

5 minutes ago, Wess said:

Odd.  They list finish and corrected finish as the same times??

And surprised no F27s. Thought they had a big fleet out there.

It’s a pursuit race, your finish time is your corrected time. Just the correction is done at the start. 

Fleet 27 is the F-27s five boats, all finished. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wess said:

Odd.  They list finish and corrected finish as the same times??

It's a reverse handicap start, so there's no correction needed afterwards. Things should change a bit after they add in over early penalties and make a few other corrections.

also, 5 double handed F27's, at the very bottom of the results page

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frank White said:

It’s a pursuit race, your finish time is your corrected time. Just the correction is done at the start. 

Fleet 27 is the F-27s five boats, all finished. 

Not to rub salt, but all significantly faster than the R33.  I assume they must have had a breakdown of some sort.

8 minutes ago, stinky said:

It's a reverse handicap start, so there's no correction needed afterwards. Things should change a bit after they add in over early penalties and make a few other corrections.

also, 5 double handed F27's, at the very bottom of the results page

Thanks mon.  Learned me sum'in!!

Actually thanks both you and @Frank White

14 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Not to rub salt, but all significantly faster than the R33.  I assume they must have had a breakdown of some sort.

Cal,

Are you not telling us everything? A Cal 20 finished in less time that the R33!

On 1/27/2019 at 5:59 AM, RandyM81 said:

Good day on the water.

Nice one Randy! Congratulations.

2 hours ago, Wess said:

The S.F. F-27 fleet lost a couple of competitors recently, one to a Cruising Cat (now in Mexico and points beyond), and the other to the wildfire in Paradisewhere the boat was stored.  :-( 

However despite the losses, it was good to see that they were still able to get enough boats to have a class division.  And, they are hoping to get some new (and old) owners interested and start rebuilding their numbers.

-MH

3 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

The Moore 24 in the middle is sweet looking. Though the side decks look just a bit narrow for me.

IMG-0053.JPG

The Moore in the middle was on the front page in June for dropping the rig in the coastal cup. It’s good to see her back together and on the water. The new mast looks sweet. 

2 hours ago, nwrig said:

The stbd side deck of a Moore 24 is wider than port by roughly 2 inches if that helps!

Interesting,  just a flaw in the original mold or was there some reason for this?  

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

Interesting,  just a flaw in the original mold or was there some reason for this?  

Moore 24's are asymmetric.

-MH

4 minutes ago, Pro looper said:

It was meant to get the boat off the start line better

I hope the anchors holding Alcatraz down hold through this expected gale....

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 8:29 AM, Wess said:

Just for you Wess.......

A nice shot of the F-27s starting (Photo Credit to Slackwater_SF):33060476968_36bec8dde3_k.thumb.jpg.4e146fa1d83b6f12a2840d19a6bd5653.jpg

Cheers!!!

-MH

4 hours ago, Multihauler said:

Just for you Wess.......

A nice shot of the F-27s starting (Photo Credit to Slackwater_SF):33060476968_36bec8dde3_k.thumb.jpg.4e146fa1d83b6f12a2840d19a6bd5653.jpg

Cheers!!!

-MH

I sure hope that shot wasn't taken from another F27,.  I'm with you Wess, that boat was my favorite and never let me down.  Ian was way ahead of his time.  

It also reminds me why we always sat forward on the upwind ama.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlackWater_SF said:

A few TBF pictures are in a Flickr gallery. 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmzKq1xt

This post is from a Google Pixel Android.  My desktop system is not allowed to post (?).

Great pics, thanks!

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I sure hope that shot wasn't taken from another F27,.  I'm with you Wess, that boat was my favorite and never let me down.  Ian was way ahead of his time.  

It also reminds me why we always sat forward on the upwind ama.

Word on weight placement.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:42 AM, Hugh Jorgan said:

The history I read was that the Moore 24 mold was made from the mould of another  (too narrow to be practical) experimental boat by physically putting a hydraulic jack in it and jacking it wider. Does not seem that any asymmetry was intentional. J/24 is mildly asymmetrical as well, also by accident. If I'm wrong someone please correct me