22 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

The haters can hate. But, N2E was a success in my book.

Not sure why you are calling  haters. I do not think anyone really hates.

I was not in the race but wanted to watch the start. should be pretty simple to have live feed and do some real marketing. Sailing just does not get it, for those that can't make it video is the next best thing.

I love the way the 18 footers in Sydney have their races live on youtube and then the videos available to watch. I play them during our Wet Wednesday after race gathering. Everyone loves it.

3 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Not sure why you are calling  haters. I do not think anyone really hates.

I was not in the race but wanted to watch the start. should be pretty simple to have live feed and do some real marketing. Sailing just does not get it, for those that can't make it video is the next best thing.

I love the way the 18 footers in Sydney have their races live on youtube and then the videos available to watch. I play them during our Wet Wednesday after race gathering. Everyone loves it.

I was on Press boat w/o Pink Flag that had 2 drones (1 a Monster)

They went Live several times

I couldn't find where the feed was shown looking everywhere but skulltwobutt 

No matter What you put out there

it isnt going anywhere unless people can find it

I never found it .... yet

Drones come with drama of their own

53 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Drones come with drama of their own

And what would that be?

Cong Cup contractor (Drones of Peace.com) did top-notch job and ran gig by himself.

Event promoters/tech outfits are falling out of palm trees.  Head to LA and wave lucre at them.  They get it.   

23 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

The haters can hate. But, N2E was a success in my book.

I agree Tom, I had a great time sailing with a different group on a fast boat. One thing stays the same, fast boats make you smart! 

1 minute ago, Dude said:

I agree Tom, I had a great time sailing with a different group on a fast boat. One thing stays the same, fast boats make you smart! 

Dude, 

Congrats on first in ULDB B aboard Carbon Foot Print with three guys who used to crew for us on Power Point ( Shaun, Luis & James)

Persistence was also a factor this race.

51 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Like your pics?

I guess in this case yes

But I wasn't Going Live and no one needed to cleare me a space

Yer PUTO-BOAT  buddy was flyin about for a while so watch for delivery

Be sure to return prints on time so we don't end up with "Another" one of those collection threads

Did I miss sum obligation/deadline that I didn't know about ??

Not a small drone on not a small bow

FB_IMG_1556570828612.jpg

On 4/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, Tom O'Keefe said:

N2E 2019 was a very challenging and competitive race.

snip...

... N2E was a success in my book.

Thanks Tom for a great description of the race, and congratulations for navigating the challenges better than I did.  Last year I was faster than Carbon Footprint on elapsed by about 30 minutes.  This year I finished 4.25 hours behind them.  Nope, I'm not a fan of light air.  But in sailing I think you have to take the wind you get, it can't only be about winning.  I should mention that the last 2 hours of our race had awesome wind, we saw 20 TWS peaks, and hit 19 knots BS a couple of times.  We passed 15 or so boats, which had no effect on our results, but was a lot of fun.  The after party was all people who had suffered thru the same stuff and enjoyed sharing their tales over drinks.  It was easier to smile after a shower, and a couple drinks.  We used the free Heinekens to quench our thirst before moving on to better libations.

As I shill for my event, I would point out the BCYC pre-party, while not the excess of the past,  seemed well appreciated by the attendees as a step up.  Lots of family and friends enjoyed YB trackers and watching the finish from the hotel.  The after party seemed great as well.  I found time to sneak away to my favorite restaurants.  My PBYC yacht club had one other racer, yet hosted a hospitality suite with free drinks and snacks to any who found their room with the huge balcony flag.  They had a great time doing this.  People who want to have a good time usually do I think.  

I agree with Tom that this year was a success.  This was my 19th N2E and I enjoyed the entire event, even with the light wind.  But next year I hope it blows again.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:57 PM, Bill Gibbs said:

I agree with Tom that this year was a success.  This was my 19th N2E and I enjoyed the entire event, even with the light wind.  But next year I hope it blows again.

19th, I did it 23 times by 1995 the last time I did the race. Remember I blew out T-11 in 98. There are not many boats that want a disabled guy on board even if he can out sail most on board.

To call it a success it a joke at best Bill. Nosa should run the Boarder Run (N2SD) at a different time. And the N2DP is a joke at best, why can't the cruisers make it to SD?

Get back to basics and run the Newport to wherever it finishes Race only.
Then do the N2SD at a different time, when the wind is more consistently predictable. 
Your fleets are to fractured and the break is spread too far along the rating spectrum as it currently stands.

The more you screw with a race that has a history the quicker it will fail.

Meat Wad,

I think you have different expectations than I do. I've been doing N2E since 1974 and have missed maybe half a dozen in 45 years. N2E has always been a race to the party. The concept has always been to get newbies experience.  That's why it's always been run when statistically you're going to see light to moderate conditions.  It's not a Cabo race or a So Cal 300. Those are challenges to experienced racers. It's  a fun race to Mexico that a few of us take way too seriously.  But, we enjoy it all the same. If I want a challenge I'll do Transpac or Big Boat Series or even California offshore race week. But, N2E is just for kicks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Meat Wad,

I think you have different expectations than I do. I've been doing N2E since 1974 and have missed maybe half a dozen in 45 years. N2E has always been a race to the party. The concept has always been to get newbies experience.  That's why it's always been run when statistically you're going to see light to moderate conditions.  It's not a Cabo race or a So Cal 300. Those are challenges to experienced racers. It's  a fun race to Mexico that a few of us take way too seriously.  But, we enjoy it all the same. If I want a challenge I'll do Transpac or Big Boat Series or even California offshore race week. But, N2E is just for kicks.

Tom, I too started about 74 when I was 16. But for 11 years (76 to 87) I did it as a Sailmaker and it was about winning. When I hit the start line, it is a race. When I heard the entry fee was so high, how can you enter it as to dash to a party?  Yes the party is always fun and I will always know the party in Ensenads. This sport has become just to expensive to race for a party. The Party is the icing on the cake, not why you enter.

Again for a minority of the participants it's always about the competition.  Over the 39 plus races I've done we've won overall a couple times, class lots of times and second overall just this last race. So, yes there are a community of racers that take all the races seriously.  But, N2E is about giving the less experienced an entry level offshore race, a glimpse at what we do. Sure I'd much rather race to Ensenada in February than late April when the percentage of getting in before midnight are higher. But, again that is a slot the Islands Race fills. So, N2E is for a very significant proportion of the fleet a race to enjoy the experience at a slightly more benign rate and a big part of that is the celebration at the finish.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, Hitchhiker said:

We managed to hang in, and came out on top of the heap, bringing the Andrews 40 turbo-camper across the line first and first on corrected in our division.

team.jpg

I think it's great that the turbo camper is finally living up to its potential. Cool boat.

• Like 1