This ones is so famous it’s got a name “Deep BLue” and her own website. Supposedly 20ft long 5000 pounds.  Anyway she popped up in Hawaii and well the video is off the charts crazy.  I don’t know if the marine biologist sails but she has giant brass ball and is smoking hot.  Need to make her honorary SCOTW.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/01/16/hawaii-news/local-diver-ocean-ramsey-swims-with-rare-great-white-shark-off-oahu/

https://www.maxim.com/women/ocean-ramsey-interview-2017-2

I’ve always enjoyed shark dives, but think I’d draw the line at getting in the water with Deep Blue!  She’s such an amazing fish though!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Absolutely stunning animal. 

Both of 'em. ;)

• Like 2

She's gonna need a bigger boat.

I think it’s safe to say Deep Blue is probably the most famous free range fish out there.  At the very least, I’ve seen three documentaries on that pretty gal.

2 hours ago, dreadom said:

Absolutely stunning animal. 

Absolutely stunning girl!  Show the lady a little respect. 

21' long is good but she's 8' abeam!

And the dive gal can free dive for 6 min.

I luv her.

Never been in the water with one.....well that I was aware of.....we did have a small one - I’d guess about 12’ - pass under the Boston whaler we had just climbed back into after scrounging up a good lunch of bottom critters and one fish that were all cooking up on the hibachi......it was.......impressive. Can’t imagine what this shark must look like in the water.

Just now, Point Break said:

Never been in the water with one.....well that I was aware of.....we did have a small one - I’d guess about 12’ - pass under the Boston whaler we had just climbed back into after scrounging up a good lunch of bottom critters and one fish that were all cooking up on the hibachi......it was.......impressive. Can’t imagine what this shark must look like in the water.

I’ve been in the water with tigers, nurse, bulls, lemons, hammerheads, and a few assorted others. They’re all gentle giants if respected for what they are. Some get a little cranky, but they’re not out to pick fights. As long as you’re not in sheer terror, it’s kind of a zen like experience swimming with those critters. 

Still no way I’d get in the water with Deep Blue!!!

Just now, Monkey said:

I’ve been in the water with tigers, nurse, bulls, lemons, hammerheads, and a few assorted others. They’re all gentle giants if respected for what they are. Some get a little cranky, but they’re not out to pick fights. As long as you’re not in sheer terror, it’s kind of a zen like experience swimming with those critters. 

Bulls intimidate me...they are exceedingly crabby ......I get out when they show up. The rest, I totally agree. 

23 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Bulls intimidate me...they are exceedingly crabby ......I get out when they show up. The rest, I totally agree. 

In open water, they’re like semi-well trained pit bulls. Scary as hell, but won’t mess with you if you don’t mess with them. Still spooky. I hate when they show up. 

The only fish that ever attacked me was a barracuda. I will never wear a dive light attached to my mask again!  Ascending from 80’ after the lense was blown out of your mask sucks!

26 minutes ago, Monkey said:

In open water, they’re like semi-well trained pit bulls. Scary as hell, but won’t mess with you if you don’t mess with them. Still spooky. I hate when they show up. 

The only fish that ever attacked me was a barracuda. I will never wear a dive light attached to my mask again!  Ascending from 80’ after the lense was blown out of your mask sucks!

Dude! That would be a less than enjoyable experience! Did the cuda come out of no-where? Those fellas are a bit intimidating as well. Off Grand Cayman on a fairly shallow dive in a reef complex Mrs PB & I came around a corner swimming through the reef channels and there is a really big cuda, I figure 4 or 5 feet, just kinda sitting in the big bowl. Startled the shit out of us. He just slowly swam by us without a care in the world with us pressed against the wall. That’s one mean looking fish. 

4 hours ago, Monkey said:

I've done the same as well of your shark list above.  I'm not sure I'm ready to do the same with White sharks. 

I'm not crazy about Bulls either.  They make me a bit nervous as all the ones I've been in the water with have come in fast.  Tigers, HHs and the others you mention are just nice and lazy and not terribly interested as long as you don't look or act like food.  

Fuck that. That thing looks like Bruce in Finding Nemo.

14 hours ago, Point Break said:

Dude! That would be a less than enjoyable experience! Did the cuda come out of no-where? Those fellas are a bit intimidating as well. Off Grand Cayman on a fairly shallow dive in a reef complex Mrs PB & I came around a corner swimming through the reef channels and there is a really big cuda, I figure 4 or 5 feet, just kinda sitting in the big bowl. Startled the shit out of us. He just slowly swam by us without a care in the world with us pressed against the wall. That’s one mean looking fish. 

The big guy was just pacing us on a night dive, presumably looking for snacks we’d scare up. I’d heard the urban legend that because of their sensitive eyes, they were prone to striking at lights or shiny objects, but never believed it. I had a light on the strap of my mask. I turned to look at him, and in a flash, one lense of my mask was shattered. The only harm was a black eye.

I don’t wear lights on my mask in saltwater anymore. 

That thing looming out of the gloom would look like a fuckin' nuclear sub coming at you.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

That thing looming out of the gloom would look like a fuckin' nuclear sub coming at you.

Yep!!!  BFS!

Great drift dive off Palm Beach. Anti-sharkers should do it at night, when you cant see ALL those badass bull sharks.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

The big guy was just pacing us on a night dive, presumably looking for snacks we’d scare up. I’d heard the urban legend that because of their sensitive eyes, they were prone to striking at lights or shiny objects, but never believed it. I had a light on the strap of my mask. I turned to look at him, and in a flash, one lense of my mask was shattered. The only harm was a black eye.

I don’t wear lights on my mask in saltwater anymore. 

Funny story..... We just got back from an amazing dive trip to Raja Ampat in Indo over Xmas.  We were out on a night dive with what became our favorite local dive guide.  Older Indonesian dude (early 40s-ish), loved his job, loved diving in general, and could find stuff that you would need the Hubble telescope to find.  

So we're on this night dive along a relatively shallow wall and we're towards the end of the dive, maybe 45 min in.  This really big barracuda - one of the bigger ones I've seen - is hanging around with us but not in any way being aggressive.  The dive guy gives us a very sharp couple of taps on his tank with his stick to get our attention and points out the cuda.  I'd already seen him so I give the "OK" sign.  A couple of min later, same thing - he's pointing at the cuda and now going "Mmmm, hmm, mmm, arrrgghhh" in mouth piece where you could hear him under water.  I give the OK sign again, yep I see him.  3 min later, same deal but this time he is REALLY agitated - the dive guide, not the barracuda.  I look over at him and give the universal WTF sign - i.e. the underwater shrug.  And he's just freaking out pointing at the barracuda.  I've seen hundreds of barracudas and I'm like "huh".  SWMBO is giving me the same universal WTF sign as well.  So anyway, we end the dive and go up.  When we get on the boat, we ask him what was going on..... turns out he's absolutely petrified, shaking in his boots, pissing his pants scared shitless of barracudas on night dives.  Dunno, maybe he's got history with one.  

He likely would not have liked this scene then....

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Funny story..... We just got back from an amazing dive trip to Raja Ampat in Indo over Xmas.  We were out on a night dive with what became our favorite local dive guide.  Older Indonesian dude (early 40s-ish), loved his job, loved diving in general, and could find stuff that you would need the Hubble telescope to find.  

So we're on this night dive along a relatively shallow wall and we're towards the end of the dive, maybe 45 min in.  This really big barracuda - one of the bigger ones I've seen - is hanging around with us but not in any way being aggressive.  The dive guy gives us a very sharp couple of taps on his tank with his stick to get our attention and points out the cuda.  I'd already seen him so I give the "OK" sign.  A couple of min later, same thing - he's pointing at the cuda and now going "Mmmm, hmm, mmm, arrrgghhh" in mouth piece where you could hear him under water.  I give the OK sign again, yep I see him.  3 min later, same deal but this time he is REALLY agitated - the dive guide, not the barracuda.  I look over at him and give the universal WTF sign - i.e. the underwater shrug.  And he's just freaking out pointing at the barracuda.  I've seen hundreds of barracudas and I'm like "huh".  SWMBO is giving me the same universal WTF sign as well.  So anyway, we end the dive and go up.  When we get on the boat, we ask him what was going on..... turns out he's absolutely petrified, shaking in his boots, pissing his pants scared shitless of barracudas on night dives.  Dunno, maybe he's got history with one.  

He likely would not have liked this scene then....

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

Lol!  I already like that dive guide!  I’ll admit I was twitchy as hell for a few years after that incident. I’ll give Charlie credit for curing me. Charlie was a BIG battle scarred, one eyed tarpon that lived off the resort I stayed at in Bonaire. That dude was my wing man every night. He completely got me used to having a big fish pace me again. 

1 minute ago, Monkey said:

Lol!  I already like that dive guide!  I’ll admit I was twitchy as hell for a few years after that incident. I’ll give Charlie credit for curing me. Charlie was a BIG battle scarred, one eyed tarpon that lived off the resort I stayed at in Bonaire. That dude was my wing man every night. He completely got me used to having a big fish pace me again. 

One of the coolest dives SWMBO and I did while on our Bareboat Moorings charter in the BVI a couple of years ago.... the two of us dove around a small Island (Carval Rock IIRC).  WIthin about 5-8 min of beginning the dive, we had 3 Grey Reef sharks following just behind us and then at about the 30 min point, 2 large Barracudas joined in.  And by "following us" I mean they paced us within a couple of body lengths just behind.  Nothing intimidating, the 3 Grey reefs would just gently circle behind us and the cuda's kind hung off to the side a few meters away.  But they stayed with us the whole dive.  At the halfway point on air, we turned around to go back to the boat and they followed us back.  It was really cool.  

I suspect they might have been used to divers spearfishing Lionfish and they were just patiently waiting for their snack handout.  

I've never heard of 'Cudas attacking people.

Do they?

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Do they?

Yes. But not very often at all. Pretty rare actually. Usually attacks are related to spearfishing and handling struggling game etc. However...........

13 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yes. But not very often at all. Pretty rare actually. Usually attacks are related to spearfishing and handling struggling game etc. However...........

Damm!  Talkle abote tackeng matters face on.............                :)

Wow - that thing was as fast as a snake.

I had a smallish 'cuda attack me once.  He might have been 4 foot.  We were anchored off the beach at Chub Key in the Bahamas.  I was cleaning the bottom of the boat, just wiping off the slime, I knew he was hanging out watching me but I ignored him since they usually don't bother you.  I heard my wife (on deck) scream and when I came up for air she screamed at me to get out of the water. About that time the 'cuda smacked my fins.  He made three of four more high speed passes at me but never making contact ...  my yellow fins went back in the bag to never be used again.

In Tahiti we swam at the Fakarava wall of sharks, literally hundreds of black and white tipped sharks up to maybe 6ft? They were used to divers and apparently don't bother humans. Coming from Lake Ontario I was never 100% comfortable the whole trip but wow it was spectacular.

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Do they?

Not really. I’ve never heard of one actually biting someone if you disregard pissed off fish after being caught. 

My situation was a fish versus a light. 

On 1/19/2019 at 5:09 PM, SloopJonB said:

Do they?

every time if you try to take the hook out

ones I ever caught I donated the hook and 4' of line

turns out it's better for them if you don't mess up their SNOT Coating or there fucked (to a degree)

gave up fishing Long ago !!

We were on a dive/snorkel excursion. Being a city boy, this ocean stuff is all good and we were enjoying the "drowning with extra gear" routine. Lotsa pretty fish, one really big and dumb tarpon.   Then a group of black tip reef sharks (was told what they were) cruised by.  Every single episode of "Shark Week" plays through my brain in 5 sec.... Are the dorsal fins down? is the back hunched?  No.... ok, watch and don't panic.  they cruised off.... we popped up, "wanna go back to the boat now?" "Yep."

great fun? yes.  exhilarating? yes.  am I doing it again on purpose? no.

22 hours ago, Monkey said:

Not really. I’ve never heard of one actually biting someone if you disregard pissed off fish after being caught. 

My situation was a fish versus a light. 

This might change your opinion

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-impaled-by-barracuda-tells-dramatic-story/

Here is another one.

Barracuda attacks woman cleaning boat

(0)

MIAMI, June 4 -- A number of shark attacks have been reported by Floridians recently, and now a Miami area woman has been seriously injured by an apparent barracuda attack. The fish that struck Mary Anne Boyer-Willis bit her four times, severing a nerve and an artery in her left arm near her elbow.

The wounds required three hours of surgery to repair and doctors say Boyer-Willis will need another operation within a few days. Dr. Phil Regala, a chief resident and surgeon at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, calls it 'a pretty bad injury,' and says it may be one year before doctors learn what sort of nerve recovery the woman will have. Doctors say the injuries were so severe they resembled those of a shark bite. The woman's brachial artery, which supplies blood to the arm and hand, was cut, requiring a vein graft to repair it. A torn median nerve also had to be repaired. Boyer-Willis, who runs an underwater boat maintenance service, was cleaning the bottom of a vessel at the Coral Reef Yacht Club Tuesday and says she saw a five-foot barracuda in the area right before she was bitten. Despite having a chunk of her arm ripped away, the 31-year-old Boyer- Willis managed to pull herself out of the water and called for help on the dock phone. A clerk and bar manager at the club raced to the dock and used a tablecloth as a tourniquet on her arm until paramedics arrived and took over. ---

Copyright 1997 by United Press International. All rights reserved. ---

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1997/06/04/Barracuda-attacks-woman-cleaning-boat/6425865396800/#ixzz5dGUa43ae

Just for the record, it seems that the Cuda in the Fl Keys are pissed off at humans.

'It was like something out of Jaws': Girl, 14, needs 51 stitches after barracuda savages her arm

By MAIL FOREIGN SERVICE 
UPDATED: 05:32 EST, 5 July 2010

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View comments

A teenager needed 51 stitches after a 4ft-long barracuda leapt out of the sea and latched on to her arm.

Koral Wira was sitting on her family’s yacht when the fish sunk its razor-like teeth into her ‘like something out of Jaws’.

Her father Rob Parker had been fishing for sharks near Venice, Florida, when the barracuda took his bait and ‘flew across the boat like a bullet’.

Savaged: Koral Wira's arm after the barracuda attack

Wounded: Koral was on her family's yacht when the attack happened

He said: ‘The fish took my shark bait but then jumped out of the water, right at my daughter.

‘I killed it with a fillet knife by stabbing it in the head — before it killed one of us.’

The barracuda reportedly jumped more than a metre out of the water to bite Koral, 14, who had been sitting in a shaded spot on the boat feeling seasick.

Shock: Koral and her father Rob with the barracuda

Dead: Koral's dad killed the fish with his fillet knife

Her mother Dina said the attack left her arm ‘looking like a raw hamburger’.

‘It was like something out of Jaws — it was that scary,’ she said.

‘We'll never go back out there again.’

The fish, which has trap-like jaws, flew out of the water and clamped on to the teenager's arm

The fish, which has trap-like jaws, flew out of the water and clamped on to the teenager's arm

Barracudas have trap-like jaws. However, despite their fearsome appearance and razor-sharp teeth, there have been fewer than 25 reported attacks in the past 100 years.

Barracudas are found in tropical waters worldwide, including in Australia.

This was the event I was looking for 

JULY 12, 1993

Barracuda bites boater

(0)

KEY LARGO, Fla. -- A 7-foot barracuda apparently dangling from a fishing pole leaped aboard a houseboat and bit a Tampa woman on the hand and hip, leaving gashes that took nearly 200 stitches to close.

Nadine Cloer, 46, was in good condition Monday at Mariners Hospital. She was injured Saturday while fishing with her family off Key Largo.

Cloer was in the cabin when her brother-in-law hooked a large fish.

'She came out with a video camera to try to take a picture. The next thing she knew she was on the ground and the fish had bitten her,' said hopsital spokeswoman Tammy Hillen.

'It happened very quickly. They're not certain if it was the fish he had hooked or if it was a different one. But they're pretty sure it was the one on the hook,' Hillen said.

Barracuda have been known to jump out of the water and steal the fish anglers were trying to reel in, said Spencer Slate, a Key Largo dive shop owner who entertains customers by letting barracuda snatch fish from his mouth.

If it was another fish, it would have had to jump about 10 feet to reach the deck of the boat. Either way, the fish got away.

The barracuda bit Cloer on the left pinkie finger and on the hip, and narrowly missed severing her femoral artery. The oval-shaped bite on her hip was 5 inches across, and was deep enough to cause muscle damage, Hillen said.

By the size of the bite, the doctor estimated the fish was about 7 feet long, Hillen said. It will be a few days before Cloer is released from the hospital.

Barracuda bites are rare, the hospital spokeswoman said.

Slater said barracuda are docile in the water and usually ignore humans. But the attack on Cloer demonstrates why experienced fishermen cut them loose instead of trying to bring them aboard.

'You don't want a barracude in the boat with you. On a deck they will go crazy. Any fish will, except a barracuda has bigger teeth. That's a predator fish supreme,' Slate said.

'He's got five rows of needles for teeth. If you happen to be on the receiving end of his mouth he'll rip you apart. He doesn't have to bite. Just touching those needle-like teeth would cut the heck out of you whether it bit you or not.'

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more UPI news and photos.

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1993/07/12/Barracuda-bites-boater/4262742449600/#ixzz5dGVhQSey

I don;t know why the shark didn't eat her, I would 

Coopers Island BVI had a resident cuda "George". George followed me when I came out of the water coming back to the boat after some snorkeling. Looked like a blue torpedo when he swam under the transom. I grabbed my mask and jumped back in and swam up along side of him next to the keel where he decided to just hang out. Jaws were about 8" long. Had a great shot of him but lost it when my computer crashed. 

On 1/21/2019 at 11:39 AM, Rasputin22 said:

This might change your opinion

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-impaled-by-barracuda-tells-dramatic-story/

Here is another one.

Barracuda attacks woman cleaning boat

(0)

MIAMI, June 4 -- A number of shark attacks have been reported by Floridians recently, and now a Miami area woman has been seriously injured by an apparent barracuda attack. The fish that struck Mary Anne Boyer-Willis bit her four times, severing a nerve and an artery in her left arm near her elbow.

The wounds required three hours of surgery to repair and doctors say Boyer-Willis will need another operation within a few days. Dr. Phil Regala, a chief resident and surgeon at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, calls it 'a pretty bad injury,' and says it may be one year before doctors learn what sort of nerve recovery the woman will have. Doctors say the injuries were so severe they resembled those of a shark bite. The woman's brachial artery, which supplies blood to the arm and hand, was cut, requiring a vein graft to repair it. A torn median nerve also had to be repaired. Boyer-Willis, who runs an underwater boat maintenance service, was cleaning the bottom of a vessel at the Coral Reef Yacht Club Tuesday and says she saw a five-foot barracuda in the area right before she was bitten. Despite having a chunk of her arm ripped away, the 31-year-old Boyer- Willis managed to pull herself out of the water and called for help on the dock phone. A clerk and bar manager at the club raced to the dock and used a tablecloth as a tourniquet on her arm until paramedics arrived and took over. ---

Copyright 1997 by United Press International. All rights reserved. ---

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1997/06/04/Barracuda-attacks-woman-cleaning-boat/6425865396800/#ixzz5dGUa43ae

Just for the record, it seems that the Cuda in the Fl Keys are pissed off at humans.

'It was like something out of Jaws': Girl, 14, needs 51 stitches after barracuda savages her arm

By MAIL FOREIGN SERVICE 
UPDATED: 05:32 EST, 5 July 2010

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View comments

A teenager needed 51 stitches after a 4ft-long barracuda leapt out of the sea and latched on to her arm.

Koral Wira was sitting on her family’s yacht when the fish sunk its razor-like teeth into her ‘like something out of Jaws’.

Her father Rob Parker had been fishing for sharks near Venice, Florida, when the barracuda took his bait and ‘flew across the boat like a bullet’.

He said: ‘The fish took my shark bait but then jumped out of the water, right at my daughter.

‘I killed it with a fillet knife by stabbing it in the head — before it killed one of us.’

The barracuda reportedly jumped more than a metre out of the water to bite Koral, 14, who had been sitting in a shaded spot on the boat feeling seasick.

Her mother Dina said the attack left her arm ‘looking like a raw hamburger’.

‘It was like something out of Jaws — it was that scary,’ she said.

‘We'll never go back out there again.’

Barracudas have trap-like jaws. However, despite their fearsome appearance and razor-sharp teeth, there have been fewer than 25 reported attacks in the past 100 years.

Barracudas are found in tropical waters worldwide, including in Australia.

This was the event I was looking for 

JULY 12, 1993

Barracuda bites boater

(0)

KEY LARGO, Fla. -- A 7-foot barracuda apparently dangling from a fishing pole leaped aboard a houseboat and bit a Tampa woman on the hand and hip, leaving gashes that took nearly 200 stitches to close.

Nadine Cloer, 46, was in good condition Monday at Mariners Hospital. She was injured Saturday while fishing with her family off Key Largo.

Cloer was in the cabin when her brother-in-law hooked a large fish.

'She came out with a video camera to try to take a picture. The next thing she knew she was on the ground and the fish had bitten her,' said hopsital spokeswoman Tammy Hillen.

'It happened very quickly. They're not certain if it was the fish he had hooked or if it was a different one. But they're pretty sure it was the one on the hook,' Hillen said.

Barracuda have been known to jump out of the water and steal the fish anglers were trying to reel in, said Spencer Slate, a Key Largo dive shop owner who entertains customers by letting barracuda snatch fish from his mouth.

If it was another fish, it would have had to jump about 10 feet to reach the deck of the boat. Either way, the fish got away.

The barracuda bit Cloer on the left pinkie finger and on the hip, and narrowly missed severing her femoral artery. The oval-shaped bite on her hip was 5 inches across, and was deep enough to cause muscle damage, Hillen said.

By the size of the bite, the doctor estimated the fish was about 7 feet long, Hillen said. It will be a few days before Cloer is released from the hospital.

Barracuda bites are rare, the hospital spokeswoman said.

Slater said barracuda are docile in the water and usually ignore humans. But the attack on Cloer demonstrates why experienced fishermen cut them loose instead of trying to bring them aboard.

'You don't want a barracude in the boat with you. On a deck they will go crazy. Any fish will, except a barracuda has bigger teeth. That's a predator fish supreme,' Slate said.

'He's got five rows of needles for teeth. If you happen to be on the receiving end of his mouth he'll rip you apart. He doesn't have to bite. Just touching those needle-like teeth would cut the heck out of you whether it bit you or not.'

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more UPI news and photos.

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1993/07/12/Barracuda-bites-boater/4262742449600/#ixzz5dGVhQSey

Damn. I feel bad for the bottom cleaner. Feel bad for the others, but they fit what I was saying. Only 25 attacks in a hundred years is pretty mellow. The ones related to fishing don’t really count. 

My 6yo will still check for sharks if asked. Dips her finger in the water, licks it, if it's salty, there's sharks. Tells people how to check very earnestly. 

2 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

My 6yo will still check for sharks if asked. Dips her finger in the water, licks it, if it's salty, there's sharks. Tells people how to check very earnestly. 

"Hey, Vern"

14 hours ago, Monkey said:

It sucks the daughter was an innocent bystander in all of this.  I wish the cuda had fucked up the dad instead.   Would have served him right for fishing for sharks.  Cunt!  :angry: