Sign in to follow this  
Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

elton john

Just saw elton perform for the first time tonight. Great show. If you get a chance to see him on this farewell tour its worth the bucks. Every song knocked out of the park. 2.5 hours of encores. 1000s of people doing laaaaaaaa, la la la la laaaa from crocodkle rock. Good fun show. I was really surprised. Took my 80 yo mom with us and stuck earplugs in her ears. She loved it. I must have played that blue greatest hits record of his over 100 times when it came out. On of my first lp's.

• Like 3

I'm going Feb 7 in Denver. Really looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Just saw elton perform for the first time tonight. Great show. If you get a chance to see him on this farewell tour its worth the bucks. Every song knocked out of the park. 2.5 hours of encores. 1000s of people doing laaaaaaaa, la la la la laaaa from crocodkle rock. Good fun show. I was really surprised. Took my 80 yo mom with us and stuck earplugs in her ears. She loved it. I must have played that blue greatest hits record of his over 100 times when it came out. On of my first lp's.

When I heard of the tour I checked out tickets....no F'n way ....I saw him twice in his prime early 70's....Awesome showman ! and of course the music....probably both shows were less than $10 a ticket

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

When I heard of the tour I checked out tickets....no F'n way ....I saw him twice in his prime early 70's....Awesome showman ! and of course the music....probably both shows were less than $10 a ticket

I just looked.  $576 to $1152.

He's real good, but not that good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Holy Shit!!  And I thought he might be hard up for dough, after seeing him doing a cameo in a TV advert????

I saw him 2 years ago? Was awesome, I went because my better half and her friends wanted to go. Pretty much as Chris described it. Didn't cost what those numbers are though..... good seats were in the 100s.  Was really surprised how good the show was.  Those prices? It's because the scalpers buy up all the tickets and then, you know. I remember seeing Billy Joel when his 1st album came out, 4th row $8 in a venue that seated couple hundred.  Those were the days. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Holy Shit!!  And I thought he might be hard up for dough, after seeing him doing a cameo in a TV advert????

And Tom Sellyick needs the money from selling reverse mortgages.

20 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

And Tom Sellyick needs the money from selling reverse mortgages.

They say that a very large percentage of Powerball winners become bankrupt in just a few years!!  I reckon lots of formerly wealthy performers, have spent it all or invested poorly.

Saw EJ in 2012 in Abu Dhabi in an outdoor concert venue.  I'm not a super EJ fan but SWMBO is and she drug me along.  I was glad I went, fantastic concert and he just played non-stop for 2 hours and then did at least another hour of encores.  I think we paid about $45 for decent seats.

4 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I saw Led Zephloid for $6 and Pink Floyd for $9

A grand for a ticket? AYFKM?

Put towards new stereo gear.

53 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

They say that a very large percentage of Powerball winners become bankrupt in just a few years!!  I reckon lots of formerly wealthy performers, have spent it all or invested poorly.

I've seen several surveys of lottery winners and the biggest point they made was that it very seldom fundamentally changes their lives - they just have nicer stuff.

Losers lose it quickly, normal people have more luxurious lives and fuckups get REALLY fucked up.

Saw Elton and his band perform in Vegas at a 4K seat venue as part of an IBM function.  They rocked!  Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson are still with him.  This isn't the proverbial 'bachman turner overweight 401k' tour, phoning it in.  Elton is rocking!

• Like 1

I don't go to a lot of live music.  He has a condo here.  I like his album called "Don't shoot me, I am just the piano player".

Madman is my favourite of all his work.

Those big banks of violins make a special sound.

I drove several times from Erie, PA to FT Lee, VA back in 1974.  It was about an 8 hour drive.  I would put the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 8 track cartridge into the player in my two toned (gold body/white roof)AMC Hornet, and let the tape loop over and over for the entire trip.  Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Madman is my favourite of all his work.

Those big banks of violins make a special sound.

Agree Madman is his best work.

Oddly Reggie doesn't see it that way.

Agreed, go if you can. I've seen Elton John about 8 or 9 times, there are some other big acts I've seen more often but he has ALWAYS rocked really hard and put on a great show. Mrs Steam is a big fan of EJ and I've only managed to get her to one concert, about 12 years ago IIRC

-DSK

So, regardless of what you paid 40 years ago, if you wanted to see elton either last friday at the oracle in alameda or sap in san jose last night, 300.00 a seat after all the wiseguys get their dough even six months in advance. With that said, as #13 said, it wasnt phoned in. He's an incredible powerful effortless piano player and he delivers his vocals like he is singing just to you. He is super enthusiastic and positive. What his live show did was what it should do, entertain. A proper rock and roll show. The funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding was epic. Candle in the wind had a video montage of marilyn monroe with footage of her which I had no idea existed. in the end it was as much about experiencing him being a generous positive force in the world as it was about the music and performance. Very inspiring. You cant get that from a record. Its why the stones, u2, elton, the who, steely dan, etc. can still sell out the venues at whatever prices. They bring an experience you have to see to understand. btw ray cooper is with elton on this tour. So, fun fact, I met elton at a transamerica open tennis tournament at the cow palace in 1978 I think. He was visiting friends in tiburon and they came over to see some tennis. Spoke with him about tennis for 10 minutes or so and got an autograph. I think it was called the firemans fund tournament back then. very friendly guy.

• Like 2

He's an excellent performer,

last time he was here in Vancouver, we waited until show time, and the picked up a couple of scalped seats for 40$, side stage, 20 feet away, looking over the onstage monitor mixer, and it was awesome.... site lines were amazing, sound was excellent.

He's a notorious perfectionist. I doubt he's ever done a bad show in his life.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:31 PM, SloopJonB said:

I saw Led Zephloid for $6 and Pink Floyd for $9

A grand for a ticket? AYFKM?

Put towards new stereo gear.

yeah, but that was back before they had electricity in the venues hehehe

Elton was hysterical in that Kingsman movie sequel.

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

yeah, but that was back before they had electricity in the venues hehehe

Those steam driven amps made way better sound than tubes or solid state ones.

Much warmer sound.

• Like 1

hehehe

Glad to hear he's going out performing at the top of his game.  I saw him perform in DC around 2000?  It was a mediocre performance at best.  I thought at the time that everyone, including EJ himself, deserved a bit better than that. 

Yellow Brick Road Tour, Candlestick Park, last time I saw him live. Best show I've every seen.

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon tour was the best I've ever seen.

54 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon tour was the best I've ever seen.

Funny, I was working for Grouse Mt. In the rental shop in those days. And the bottom of the hill let us know that Pink Floyd was coming up to ski. I greeted them. Set up all there skiing gear and what slopes would appropriate for there skill level. It was a slow Friday afternoon at the shop and I told the staff: screw it - I'll go skiing with them for awhile. Found them and ended up going up the lift 3 times with David Gilmour. A very intelligent guy and a gentleman. He was more interested what I was doing and Vancouver too. It that time they were a bit of a fringe/band at that time and wasn't expecting to go and I had to work so I didn't ask for tickets. Although we shared a pint or two afterwards. In those days bands started their NA tours in Vancouver. And I didn't know that Dark side of the moon be such epic/landmark/historic album. Working that night you could here them all over the mountain. Pretty loud. I saved their rental cards and still have them to prove it. Signed and addresses etc hidden away.

• Like 1

Led Zeppelin North American tour  (their last one ) ,   Pink Floyd  animals,  ELP Orchestra tour all within a month 1/2 

also saw the rolling stones three times in 2 weeks in msg too.  the lotus leaf stage tour 

2 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Funny, I was working for Grouse Mt. In the rental shop in those days. And the bottom of the hill let us know that Pink Floyd was coming up to ski. I greeted them. Set up all there skiing gear and what slopes would appropriate for there skill level. It was a slow Friday afternoon at the shop and I told the staff: screw it - I'll go skiing with them for awhile. Found them and ended up going up the lift 3 times with David Gilmour. A very intelligent guy and a gentleman. He was more interested what I was doing and Vancouver too. It that time they were a bit of a fringe/band at that time and wasn't expecting to go and I had to work so I didn't ask for tickets. Although we shared a pint or two afterwards. In those days bands started their NA tours in Vancouver. And I didn't know that Dark side of the moon be such epic/landmark/historic album. Working that night you could here them all over the mountain. Pretty loud. I saved their rental cards and still have them to prove it. Signed and addresses etc hidden away.

It was the first of the epic rock spectaculars. Indoor pyrotechnics, nekkid dancing girls on the speaker towers etc.

None of that had ever been seen before.

It was particularly memorable seen in an "altered" state of consciousness. ;)

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It was particularly memorable seen in an "altered" state of consciousness. ;)

Why would anyone in their right mind even think of going to see Pink Floyd 'straight'?

Speaking of "particularly memorable', I saw Led Zeppelin in Cleveland in 1979.  We had seats on the floor in the middle, about 15 rows from the stage.  Before the show started, people were passing joints seemingly non-stop up and down the rows of seats.  By the time the show started, I was so high I could barely remember my name.  The one thing I do remember was being sad that I was too high to enjoy the music properly.  I think they started with some great blues.  The concert lasted almost 3 hours and after about 45 minutes or so, I managed to come down enough to appreciate what I was seeing and hearing.  Lasers!  Jimmy Paige!!  Stairway to Heaven!!!

• Like 2

Went to the show last night. Overall it was great. Pretty sure the average age on stage was mid 70s but those guys are pros. 

Extended version of Levin blew me away.

It was painful to watch him walk around stage though. And at the end of the show he got on a thing that looked like a walker that took him up and off stage into a yellow brick road. Pretty symbolic.

I don't recall which song but one was just Elton and his percussionist Ray Cooper. That guy stole the show.

yes totally agree on that, Ray Cooper is just one of the best musicians who ever walked the planet

I need to look and see if there are some recordings around their duo tour way back when. It was supposedly epic.