Nailing Malarkey Too

Did Trump just win the Trade War with China?

Beijing Makes Trump $1 Trillion Offer To Seal China Trade Deal; Dow Jones Rises

Beijing is reportedly promising the moon to reach a China trade deal with President Trump. A new Bloomberg News report says China has offered to buy more than $1 trillion in additional imports over six years, shrinking its $323 billion trade surplus with the U.S. to zero by 2024. 

• Downvote 5

WTF! Bloomberg is Putin's lapdog now? :huh: 

This is horrible news! I'm so angry I could piss on bad's pillow. :angry:  

6 minutes ago, Barnacle Balls said:

Read between the lines between the lines.....

It's the first concession china has made in acknowledging they have a serious problem with engaging in unfair trade practices and with Trump their is fear of this ending.

LOL, China will lie straight to your face. If there isn't an enforcement deal made along with this, then it means nothing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

LOL, China will lie straight to your face. 

Exactly!  And we finally have an administration willing to confront them re their unfair trade practices.  I’m sure you’ll agree it’s about time.

Just now, J28 said:

Exactly!  And we finally have an administration willing to confront them re their unfair trade practices.  I’m sure you’ll agree it’s about time.

From the article: 

“Over the years, China has used the offer of purchasing more technologies with national security applications as a gambit in trade negotiations,” said Orlik. “That’s always been unacceptable to the U.S. because of the strategic costs.”

Trump will hand them more national secrets and think he is winning in the process. The man can't negotiate.

It's basically the same offer that Trump rejected earlier this year. No guarantees, no movement on China's theft of IP, and no investment in the US companies that are not in a position to meet the increased demand if such a deal could be reached, and the article inked doesn't think that's likely.

If Failing Malarkey, and J/28 and the other sock puppets think that's winning, I'd love to play poker with them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J28 said:

Just like he is WINNING!!! the confrontation with North Korea!

-DSK

• Like 1

Answer: No he just declared victory much like he’s going to do later today on the border.

Withthe exception of a few things China doesn’t want to buy our stuff.  An example is Starbucks.  A Chinese brand is offering a better experience and people are flocking to it.  China is at the point that they can innovate almost as well as us (see landing on the dark side of the moon, hypersonic missies etc).  They’re a homogenous culture that has been around a lot longer than the USA.  Our “wins” will be around IP theft (not critical going forward) and certain tariffs.

China will have a massive trade surplus with us for the foreseeable future.

I recently had an interesting conversation with a very intelligent fellow who worked in a very senior position (Australian company) in China for 6 years.

Based on his insights, I'd say that the Chinese will run rings around Trump's crew. Promises will be made, without actual completion commitments. Deals will be struck to buy stuff the US shouldn't be selling, after a bit of bribery. 

Trump will get a few concessions on paper so he can crow about winning and move on to his next 5 minutes of attention span.  Meanwhile the daily flotilla of container ships filled with cheap Chinese products will keep arriving. The trade balance won't change much. 

Well, they own your your ass as well as the rest of your pitiful little country, so I guess they ran rings around Oz’s “best and brightest” (low bar, I know...).  

10 - 15 years from now Oz will be know as Auschina.

to recap

1) Trump and his followers don't understand the definition of trade imbalance, much less it's "cause"

2) Trump and his follower don't understand "China"

3) Trump can't negotiate for shit.

4) Trump and his followers like to preemptively declare victory

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J28 said:

Well, they own your your ass as well as the rest of your pitiful little country, so I guess they ran rings around Oz’s “best and brightest” (low bar, I know...).  

No recession for over 20 years.  Thanks China!

Australia's trade surplus with China for 2017 was $1.925  billion. We're doing well out of them. 

I suppose you could say your best customer "owns your ass", but it's not the same as having a $323billion deficit with an increasingly adversarial relationship caused by having a moron in charge.

In our pitiful little country, dishwashers and cleaners can afford to take 3-4 weeks holiday a year. Many can afford to go overseas. 

We don't have the world's highest prison population either. This week (and many weeks before that) there were zero gun massacres in our pitiful little country.

Our politicians are just adequate, with a few loonies and a few crooks. They haven't yet reached anywhere near the USA's level of corruption and dysfunction.

In our pitiful little country, the average level of intelligence means we'll never have a grotesque mistake like Trump.

• Like 2

Somebody’s triggered!  Inferiority complex much?

It’s a shame your pitiful little country is nothing more than a pimple on the ass of the globe.

• Downvote 3

Size-of-Australia-compared-to-USA-on-a-Map.jpg

Pitiful Little Country? you don't get out much do you, oh I forgot a J 28 does limit you. What a handicap to have.  

Australia, Where men are men and sheep are nervous.:D

2 hours ago, J28 said:

And you will still be know as a fuckwit. 

• Like 1

T-rump couldn't win a war unless it was a KFC gobbling war with a vegetarian.

1 hour ago, J28 said:

It’s a shame your pitiful little country is nothing more than a pimple on the ass of the globe.

I would rather be homeless and unemployed where I am than be a rich American. The USA is a deeply flawed society, Trump is just a symptom.

Or to put it on J28's level: It's a shame your pitiful same-size-as-ours country is a massive stinking festering pus-spewing boil on the face of the globe.

(With apologies to normal Americans.)

5 minutes ago, Happy said:

I would rather be homeless and unemployed where I am than be a rich American. The USA is a deeply flawed society, Trump is just a symptom.

Or to put it on J28's level: It's a shame your pitiful same-size-as-ours country is a massive stinking festering pus-spewing boil on the face of the globe.

(With apologies to normal Americans.)

I tried.   I really tried.   I just couldn’t bring myself to care enough to actually get mad at your insults.   I must have been distracted by the cracker I’m eating. 

13 minutes ago, Lark said:

I tried.   I really tried.   I just couldn’t bring myself to care enough to actually get mad at your insults.   I must have been distracted by the cracker I’m eating. 

Mr lark.

I hope, as a person of taste, you dressed your cracker with the appropriate cheese.

14 minutes ago, Lark said:

What's her name?

• Like 1

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

What's her name?

That's written on the other side.

I better not be eating out a white girl.   My GF will not be happy.

7 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You guys are disgusting.

Thanks.

• Like 1

@HappyIt’s gonna be fun to watch all y’all squirm when China tells you that ~ $2 billion trade surplus is “too high” and you need to reduce your commodity prices because they found someone else to supply them.  I’d much rather be buying from the Chinese than letting them have you by the short hair, which is where they have Oz right now.

8 minutes ago, J28 said:

@HappyIt’s gonna be fun to watch all y’all squirm when China tells you that ~ $2 billion trade surplus is “too high” and you need to reduce your commodity prices because they found someone else to supply them.  I’d much rather be buying from the Chinese than letting them have you by the short hair, which is where they have Oz right now.

Your not to smart are you?

Australian commodities are already cheaper than everywhere else. The chinese save on freight....

34 minutes ago, J28 said:

US Soybean farmers say HI!

3 hours ago, J28 said:

There is only one country according to the US government where the US has more emigration to, than immigration from, the same country.

Judging from the above, we got the literate intelligent ones. 

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

And you will still be know as a fuckwit. 

woah woah woah

He'll need a few promotions to reach fuckwhit. he's at best a shitstain right now.

5 hours ago, J28 said:

Hehehehe... says the country that sent their entire manufacturing base to China over greed of more profit for the fat 1%, continue to screw them for more and more profits driving down their cost of living at the same time and making them a powerhouse to be reckoned with.

You made it sport. Now own it.

Now run along like like a good little ignorant leech living off the capitalism that you created on the backs of the Chinese workers you've been stiffing for decades.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Pitiful Little Country? you don't get out much do you, oh I forgot a J 28 does limit you. What a handicap to have.  

To be fair, that's mostly sun-blasted desert and poisonous snakes with about 1/12th of the US population mostly living in strips along the edges.

But it's a nice place for the most part, if you can dodge the drop bears.

6 hours ago, J28 said:

I am being a bit harsh J28, we are so dependent upon US technology after all. The last time we tried to make our own sub it was the laughing stock of the seven seas, and rightly so, it was a bit of a lemon. I mean, we shoulda drunk the Kool Aid and bought it all from the US, who thanks to you we now realize are far superior to our pitiful little country.

And to top it off, they sailed it all the way home without hitting anything. Like a 1000' ship, land........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

US Soybean farmers say HI!

As they sit on their 12 billion bailout that worked so well didn’t it? 

A trade deficit and 12 billion bailout most numbers people  would not call it winning.

37 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

As they sit on their 12 billion bailout that worked so well didn’t it? 

A trade deficit and 12 billion bailout most numbers people  would not call it winning.

Aaaaaand the US Dep of Agriculture is caught in the shutdown so they're not delivering the cheques...

Third world 'shitholes' run better than this.

4 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Aaaaaand the US Dep of Agriculture is caught in the shutdown so they're not delivering the cheques...

Third world 'shitholes' run better than this.

I blame Maxine Waters. Or libtards.

4 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

I thought Darwin was in the warm part.

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Darwin's dead, man.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Darwin's dead, man.

Froze to death in Canadia?

14 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

It is.  South is colder than North down there, natch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Froze to death in Canadia?

No, England, it was a real Downer.

7 hours ago, Happy said:

Australia's trade surplus with China for 2017 was $1.925  billion. We're doing well out of them. 

I suppose you could say your best customer "owns your ass", but it's not the same as having a $323billion deficit with an increasingly adversarial relationship caused by having a moron in charge.

You don't really expect Jerk28 to comprehend that do you?

3 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:
3 hours ago, J28 said:

Your not to smart are you?

That's the level of "intelligence" that Trump appeals to.

Pretty sad isn't it?

1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

Because they aren't idiot red hats

Who buy turds like J28's

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Who buy turds like J28's

I suspect the J28 thing is a red herring. He's more of a Murrelet man.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Ouch.

That's low.

Please continue.

14 hours ago, J28 said:

You had a moment of clarity in the drip thread, now you step on your dick in this one. Way to go.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's probably a Seaward...

There is no trade imbalance.  We buy Chinese shit with US Dollars.  US Dollars only have value to purchase US stuff.  The Chinese are simply buying other US stuff besides "goods."  

1 minute ago, jzk said:

There is no trade imbalance.  We buy Chinese shit with US Dollars.  US Dollars only have value to purchase US stuff.  The Chinese are simply buying other US stuff besides "goods."  

??

I've been to a lot of other countries and bought stuff there with US dollars. And yeah, sadly, the trade imbalance is real.

You really work hard at this clueless rightie dumbass schtick, doncha? Is there some kind of prize for rightie dumbass of the day?

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

??

I've been to a lot of other countries and bought stuff there with US dollars. And yeah, sadly, the trade imbalance is real.

You really work hard at this clueless rightie dumbass schtick, doncha? Is there some kind of prize for rightie dumbass of the day?

-DSK

Ok, clown boy.  If you buy something in another country with US dollars, what gives the US dollars value?  Why does that person want them?

You should try a little google before embarrassing yourself like this.

49 minutes ago, jzk said:

The dollar is still a reserve currency used around the world.   Most international trades occur in US dollars, even though neither party is US.   https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/07/16/331743569/episode-552-the-dollar-at-the-center-of-the-world

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/08/12/139583229/the-friday-podcast-why-the-world-still-needs-dollars

Though the Chinese buy US real estate and perhaps politicians, they also use the dollar to buy stuff around the world.   So does most everybody else.    This is what allows he trade deficit to persist.    https://theweek.com/articles/759509/dethroning-dollar

Your statement exposes your ignorance, and frankly, you lack the equipment to make a good flasher.   

5DB16268-1CC0-4025-9094-929CD226B720.jpeg

1 minute ago, Lark said:

The dollar is still a reserve currency used around the world.   Most international trades occur in US dollars, even though neither party is US.   https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/07/16/331743569/episode-552-the-dollar-at-the-center-of-the-world

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/08/12/139583229/the-friday-podcast-why-the-world-still-needs-dollars

Though the Chinese buy US real estate and perhaps politicians, they also use the dollar to buy stuff around the world.   So does most everybody else.    This is what allows he trade deficit to persist.    https://theweek.com/articles/759509/dethroning-dollar

Your statement exposes your ignorance, and frankly, you lack the equipment to make a good flasher.   

Why do those people around the world accept the US dollar?  Is it because it has nice looking pictures on it?

Just now, jzk said:

Why do those people around the world accept the US dollar?  Is it because it has nice looking pictures on it?

Listen to the first link.    It actually answers your question pretty well.   

2 minutes ago, Lark said:

Let's go one better.  Let's say that we send a bunch of dollars to China creating your "trade deficit."  Let's say those dollars NEVER come back to the US, but rather they just stay out and about bouncing around the world NEVER to be seen in the US again.

Would that be good or bad?

1 minute ago, jzk said:

Let's go one better.  Let's say that we send a bunch of dollars to China creating your "trade deficit."  Let's say those dollars NEVER come back to the US, but rather they just stay out and about bouncing around the world NEVER to be seen in the US again.

Would that be good or bad?

Both.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/central-banker/spring-2007/how-us-currency-stacks-upat-home-and-abroad.  10 years ago the fed estimated 60 percent of us currency is overseas.    I don’t know the current figure.    27 nations actually accept or use US currency for their own transactions.   

Just now, Lark said:

Both.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/central-banker/spring-2007/how-us-currency-stacks-upat-home-and-abroad.  10 years ago the fed estimated 60 percent of us currency is overseas.    I don’t know the current figure.    27 nations actually accept or use US currency for their own transactions.   

You didn't answer the question.  

2 minutes ago, Lark said:

Both.

Or how about this question.  What if the US "reorganized," ratified a new constitution, and said we are now a new country.  We are no longer accepting US Dollars in payment of anything.

What happens then to your world reserve of US dollars?

24 minutes ago, Lark said:
26 minutes ago, jzk said:

Listen to the first link.    It actually answers your question pretty well.   

Yep

Will JZK actualy learn some actual economic/fiscal principles? I have to say I'm doubtful, he seems pretty wedded to ignorance & fear/loathing.

-DSK

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep

Will JZK actualy learn some actual economic/fiscal principles? I have to say I'm doubtful, he seems pretty wedded to ignorance & fear/loathing.

-DSK

Can you answer any of the questions I put forth?  What happens if the US stops accepting US dollars?

51 minutes ago, jzk said:

Or how about this question.  What if the US "reorganized," ratified a new constitution, and said we are now a new country.  We are no longer accepting US Dollars in payment of anything.

What happens then to your world reserve of US dollars?

Stupid question. What would happen to what is left of the US economy?

9 minutes ago, Lifted Tack said:

Stupid question. What would happen to what is left of the US economy?

What would happen to the US dollars floating about the world.  Can you answer?  

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

??

-DSK

JerKZ won it in perpetuity a long time ago.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

You (JZK) really work hard at this clueless rightie dumbass schtick, doncha? Is there some kind of prize for rightie dumbass of the day?

JerKZ won it in perpetuity a long time ago.

I dunno, some days the competition is pretty tough

-DSK

Most days in fact, but I think he's the clear winner.

Just like NG is the clear winner of the "Childish Stupidity" stakes.

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Who buy turds like J28's

I have to ask.....what is wrong with a J28?  They look like they would be a pretty decent small cruising type boat that isn't a slug.  Do they dissolve when wet or something?  Hate to thread jack for a sailing question but....next I will ask about Ridgelines

You're not from around here are you?

38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I dunno, some days the competition is pretty tough

-DSK

Meanwhile, none of you clowns can even answer the questions.

5 minutes ago, jzk said:

Meanwhile, none of you clowns can even answer the questions.

Generally one seeks amusement, not enlightenment, from "clowns" although lately they've been used more often in horror flics

If there is something pertaining to economics that you'd like to know, ask nicely and I'll think about it

-DSK

4 hours ago, jzk said:

What would happen to the US dollars floating about the world.  Can you answer?  

BZZZZT!

Wrongo bongo Normy. That was  a question you asked of Steam F.

Answer my question. Why would the US do such a thing? What would be the impact on the US economy?

You're not thinking clearly.

1 minute ago, Lifted Tack said:

BZZZZT!

Wrongo bongo Normy. That was  a question you asked of Steam F.

Answer my question. Why would the US do such a thing? What would be the impact on the US economy?

You're not thinking clearly.

The US wouldn't.  We are trying to get to the reason US dollars have value.  What makes them have value?  The nice pictures printed on them?

46 minutes ago, bridhb said:

I have to ask.....what is wrong with a J28?  They look like they would be a pretty decent small cruising type boat that isn't a slug.  Do they dissolve when wet or something?  Hate to thread jack for a sailing question but....next I will ask about Ridgelines

If you rank J/Boats, the J28 would be near the bottom and that's near the bottom for J/Boats. Think Nickelback but as a sailboat. In a racing context, it probably meant you were never good enough to crew on something which would keep you from getting a J28 while at the same time not being successful enough to afford something better than a J28. It signifies suckage along several dimensions.

Just now, jzk said:

The US wouldn't.  We are trying to get to the reason US dollars have value.  What makes them have value?  The nice pictures printed on them?

Thank you for making my point.

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Generally one seeks amusement, not enlightenment, from "clowns" although lately they've been used more often in horror flics

If there is something pertaining to economics that you'd like to know, ask nicely and I'll think about it

-DSK

Why do US dollars have value?  What would happen if the US ended and a new country started a new currency?  Would those places around the world still accept your US dollars?

Just now, Lifted Tack said:

Thank you for making my point.

And may be if you wear a hat, no one will notice.

10 minutes ago, jzk said:

And may be if you wear a hat, no one will notice.

Is that the best you can do? All hat and no cattle is what you are.

4 minutes ago, jzk said:
9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why do US dollars have value?  What would happen if the US ended and a new country started a new currency?  Would those places around the world still accept your US dollars?

There are a couple of reasons why any money is valuable, primarily the placebo effect that people accept it in exchange for goods and services because they think it's valuable. The money of a given country is valuable to the people who have to pay taxes to the gov't of that country; likewise it is valuable to people who want to buy goods or services produced within that country's national economy (you touched briefly on this latter point). Then, the credit issued by banks is valued relative to the countries' currency it's issued in..... for example when Deutsche Bank issues loans in US dollars then it needs to have a certain amount of credit in dollars, and how it obtained that credit may be complex and not looked on with favor by the country of the currencies origin.

Would places around the world continue to accept US dollars if the USA ceased to exist? I don't know, and I'd be very sceptical of anybody who claimed to know for sure. And I'd prefer that the USA continue to exist. I suspect that US dollars would remain in world circulation for quite a while, people change their thoughts and habits slowly. Look how many people have the stupid and very antiquated idea the gold has some sort of inherent value. Aside from that, if the USA ceased to exist then both the US debt and the US mint would no longer exist, severely curtailing the supply of dollars and thus tending to push their value up.

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

There are a couple of reasons why any money is valuable, primarily the placebo effect that people accept it in exchange for goods and services because they think it's valuable. The money of a given country is valuable to the people who have to pay taxes to the gov't of that country; likewise it is valuable to people who want to buy goods or services produced within that country's national economy (you touched briefly on this latter point). Then, the credit issued by banks is valued relative to the countries' currency it's issued in..... for example when Deutsche Bank issues loans in US dollars then it needs to have a certain amount of credit in dollars, and how it obtained that credit may be complex and not looked on with favor by the country of the currencies origin.

Would places around the world continue to accept US dollars if the USA ceased to exist? I don't know, and I'd be very sceptical of anybody who claimed to know for sure. And I'd prefer that the USA continue to exist. I suspect that US dollars would remain in world circulation for quite a while, people change their thoughts and habits slowly. Look how many people have the stupid and very antiquated idea the gold has some sort of inherent value. Aside from that, if the USA ceased to exist then both the US debt and the US mint would no longer exist, severely curtailing the supply of dollars and thus tending to push their value up.

-DSK

In other words, US dollars have value because they can buy US shit and pay US taxes.  That is the only reason.  Now maybe, as you suggest, people would collect them and some kind of value would arise if those two things went away, but that is the source of value of US dollars.

US dollars are merely gift certificates to buy US stuff.  

3 minutes ago, jzk said:

In other words, US dollars have value because they can buy US shit and pay US taxes.  That is the only reason

Wrong again. Try actually reading..... you know that thing with the alphabet and moving your lips.

Those are two of the bigger and more easily-quantified reasons why US dollars have value, but they are far from the "only" reasonS (plural)

-DSK

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Wrong again. Try actually reading..... you know that thing with the alphabet and moving your lips.

Those are two of the bigger and more easily-quantified reasons why US dollars have value, but they are far from the "only" reasonS (plural)

-DSK

No, you are wrong.  The very source of the value of the US dollar is that it is legal tender for US goods and taxes.  Remove those two things, and it all goes to shit.

6 minutes ago, jzk said:

In other words, US dollars have value because they can buy US shit and pay US taxes.  That is the only reason.  Now maybe, as you suggest, people would collect them and some kind of value would arise if those two things went away, but that is the source of value of US dollars.

US dollars are merely gift certificates to buy US stuff.  

JZK, Just spit out what you’re trying to say, you’re doing my head in. The value of the US dollar is linked to it being a finite supply, like everything else.

Ive bought Israeli and Taiwanese product with US dollars, because that’s what they use to trade internationally. I could have used another currency if I liked.

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make.

10 minutes ago, jzk said:

No, you are wrong.  The very source of the value of the US dollar is that it is legal tender for US goods and taxes.  Remove those two things, and it all goes to shit.

That’s only a part of its foundation.    Yes, the dollar would crumble if Congress voted to use tree leaves as currency and abandon decorated cotton.   But the dollar of only US trade would not have the value of the US dollar, partially because of our inept leaders and largely because of the trade deficit and constant outpouring of wealth (IMO.   Some economists argue otherwise regarding the trade deficit).   As I demonstrated, the value of the dollar is not dropping like it should because of those factors.   Due to the action of an economist a couple generations ago and the historic stability of the US, it has a far greater value.   It remains so out of habit, the QWERTY keyboard of finance.   This lets us buy Chinese junk more cheaply, even as idiots drive the economy into the ground with their stupid policy and shortsightedness.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

JZK, Just spit out what you’re trying to say, you’re doing my head in. The value of the US dollar is linked to it being a finite supply, like everything else.

Ive bought Israeli and Taiwanese product with US dollars, because that’s what they use to trade internationally. I could have used another currency if I liked.

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make.

He doesn't either, he's pissed (USA "pissed" = angry) because I insulted one of his sacred cows. He'll be angry at you too because you brought in some facts from the real world which contradict his dearly-held dumbed-down slogans.

-DSK