Sign in to follow this  
Kent H

Looking for a new Razor Brand?

Harry’s

Walmart now stocks Harry’s razors and five blade disposables. I recommend the Orange handle 

Perfection

Naw, using the old two-bladed Gillette Excels for my neckbeard.  Bought a bunch years ago when the Marketers went to those stupidly expensive 5 blade cassettes.  I'm good for another two or so years. By then, they'll probably be pimping 12 blade razors. 

Merkur safety razor with Feather brand blades. A 100 pack of blades on Amazon will run about $30 , blades last me about 3 weeks when clean shaven.   

• Like 1

Any Irony in a razor named Harrys?  I dunno, it's how my mind wonders, as in I wondered around Walmarts yesterday.

Nope!  I get cheap plastic handled double blades at Ocean State Job Lot.  

35 minutes ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

Merkur safety razor with Feather brand blades. A 100 pack of blades on Amazon will run about $30 , blades last me about 3 weeks when clean shaven.   

This

1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Naw, using the old two-bladed Gillette Excels for my neckbeard.  Bought a bunch years ago when the Marketers went to those stupidly expensive 5 blade cassettes.  I'm good for another two or so years. By then, they'll probably be pimping 12 blade razors. 

Got as far as 3 blades and that’s as far as I’m going, especially with the regular brands. 

I don’t want to be taking out a bank loan for razor blades. 

Gillette two blade disposables. I tried some of the entrants in the blade wars but none of them worked as well and all cost a lot more.

3, 4, 5 blade razors are just gimmicks to try and gain share of a mature market.

1 hour ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

The only way to go.

18 minutes ago, mad said:

Got as far as 3 blades and that’s as far as I’m going, especially with the regular brands. 

I don’t want to be taking out a bank loan for razor blades. 

Reading the Amazon reviews on the Merkur safety razor and the Feather blades; we might have missed a very good thing. 

Oil well, in two years, I'll look at upgrading.

• Like 1

Just now, SloopJonB said:

Gillette two blade disposables. I tried some of the entrants in the blade wars but none of them worked as well and all cost a lot more.

3, 4, 5 blade razors are just gimmicks to try and gain share of a mature market.

This. Gillette Sensor 2 Pivot. Nearly the bottom of their line and the best bang for the buck in a disposable that I've found.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Maybe try this one:

latest?cb=20070315022330

mach14-775759.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

This. Gillette Sensor 2 Pivot. Nearly the bottom of their line and the best bang for the buck in a disposable that I've found.

I go even more basic than that - I don't like the pivot - cut myself a lot more with them.

I guess I use the bottom of the line. I only shave a couple of times a week and a blade lasts me a couple of months so none of it matters much.

Two blades definitely work better than singles but that's the only real improvement in razor tech that I ever found.

The pivot works better for me but the thing I like best about it relative to the bottom of the line fixed heads is that the head is thinner top to bottom. That lets you get right up to the nostrils without leaving rogue mustache hairs. That's also why I don't like the safety razors.

2 hours ago, IStream said:

That is what I use...and order the blades from Amazon so I don't have to waste my time getting a clerk to open up the freak'n cabinet at Walgreens.....as an aside the steel it razor blades are crap compared to 30 years ago....they dull much quicker  

28 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

.as an aside the steel it razor blades are crap compared to 30 years ago....they dull much quicker  

Lack of irradiated steel from US atomic bomb tests over ships has caused the need for multi blade razors. This shortage of radioactive steel from scraped atomic test ships enabled those whiskers to just melt away with only one blade. 

They just don't make em like they used to. 

• Like 1

Freshly sharpened antique cutlass wielded by a barber with a bad seizure disorder and the DTs,  what else ?

• Like 1

There was a really good thread in GA on shaving sometime around 2014 or 2015. I looked, but was

unable to find it . However, if someone wants to search the WayBack Machine they could probably locate it.

21 minutes ago, QBF said:

There was a really good thread in GA on shaving sometime around 2014 or 2015. I looked, but was

unable to find it . However, if someone wants to search the WayBack Machine they could probably locate it.

Huh?  It's not rocket science??

One of the best things i ever did was stop shaving. Clean up the neck beard with a beard trimmer every now and then. Will be an issue if i ever decide to stop flying my desk to pay for flying and just flying, but i'll burn that bridge when i come to it. 

6 hours ago, Kent H said:

Harry’s

Walmart now stocks Harry’s razors and five blade disposables. I recommend the Orange handle 

Perfection

I tried their intro deal thinking it was all a gimmick. Turns out I love it.

And yes, the orange handle rocks.

42 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I tried their intro deal thinking it was all a gimmick. Turns out I love it.

And yes, the orange handle rocks.

Another satisfied Harry's customer!!…..    The orange handle is perfect for those low light shavings aboard your yacht.  For those mornings when you are hung over so badly that your eyes can't see the sink you will find your orange Harry's razor.  

Harry's believes in the ladies being ladies!   Did you just drop your orange Harry's razor in the tub under all those suds while shaving all your wonderful parts?  Never fear because unlike other razors Harry's Orange razor can be seen through over a foot of suds!   

Harry's Super Sensitive Select Shave Offer

Harry's well shaven operators are standing by to fulfill your dream of silky smooth skin on you and your hot partner!!

And it's the same color as my motorcycle. So it's fast!

I've been using Dorco razors and blades.  Since I've got a beard only the neck and cheeks get shaved so the blades last a looong time.

Wrong group to be asking this question.... thinking maybe we should solicit some answers from the clean shaven or hairy landing strip crowd..   just saying!!!

Tried the 3-4 blade razors. Meh.  Wife buys some twin bladepink  disposables they com in a bag about 20 per bag.  

50 cents per razor.   When I feel it tugging toss it grab a new one.  

• Like 1

^ This - except I pay for the macho blue ones.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

^ This - except I pay for the macho blue ones.

5am in the shower eyes barely open I’m just happy that I don’t cut my throat.  

I had a double blade (IE; single blade on two sides) "safety razor" for years. Closest shave ever. No nicks, no cuts, just a good clean shave. Then the blades started coming out of the dispenser dull. Like you couldn't scrape paint off a window dull....

I moved from Gillette to Schick.... But same thing.

I finally broke down and bought a modern razor, which I hate, and doesn't give a close shave, but at least I don't bleed to death every other day.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, QBF said:

I think it was a thread I started when my son was a college freshman and he wanted a safety razor. That was 2011. I can’t find it here but it was a wealth of info. 

12 minutes ago, chinabald said:

I think it was a thread I started when my son was a college freshman and he wanted a safety razor. That was 2011. I can’t find it here but it was a wealth of info. 

I had a brass safety razor until about 2000.... Then the blades just went to hell.

I had a boar bristle brush and a can of mug soap too.... I got a case of Williams mug soap for free one night because the traveling salesman was tired of hauling it around in his trunk (He was on my softball team).

Once you use mug soap and a brush, you'll never be satisfied with foam from a can again.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I had a double blade (IE; single blade on two sides) "safety razor" for years. Closest shave ever. No nicks, no cuts, just a good clean shave. Then the blades started coming out of the dispenser dull. Like you couldn't scrape paint off a window dull....

I moved from Gillette to Schick.... But same thing.

I finally broke down and bought a modern razor, which I hate, and doesn't give a close shave, but at least I don't bleed to death every other day.

Use the cheap twin blades and shave against the grain.

Your face will be baby butt smooth

I had some time to kill in Ucuelet and paid for a shave at the barber shop.  It's run by a woman who's quite the character.  Cool experience.  Would recommend.  In Ukee or otherwise. 

I tried it years ago but found it doesn't give a very close shave.

I can do way better myself.

Just what I need. A fucking internet rabbit hole on shaving.

19 minutes ago, IStream said:

Just what I need. A fucking internet rabbit hole on shaving.

I don't get it either?  As I said before, shaving is not rocket science?   Like others have posted I get cheap plastic double blades by the bag, and last at least 6 months, although I don't shave cleanly every day.  Sometimes use electric followed by dry blade to trim stubble....

I use bic 3 blade disposable. I started shaving in the shower and I swear the blades last twice as long now. 

I shave in the shower too - works way better.

I never made the connection with blade life though.

Waasup with that?

I wonder how old my Gilette Mach 3 handle is? Still works fine to me...

42 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I shave in the shower too - works way better.

I never made the connection with blade life though.

Waasup with that?

The steam really helps soften my beard and I wouldn't be surprised if that helps blade life...Until my wife decides to shave her legs with my razor which is so conveniently sitting there.

repeat: safety razor, japanese Feather brand blades. Plenty sharp...

The Feather blades I find TOO sharp. Nick myself with them every bloody time. When I started shaving with a safety razor about a year ago I bought a sample pack of 5 different boxes of 5 blades. Really good idea to find out what suits me. I have really bristly stiff whiskers. Can dull a Mach 3 in about 5 uses.

I use a safety razor with Astra blades. Cheap as chips. Just slightly less sharp than the Feathers but perfect for me. 100 blades for $17 Canadian!

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

The Feather blades I find TOO sharp. Nick myself with them every bloody time. When I started shaving with a safety razor about a year ago I bought a sample pack of 5 different boxes of 5 blades. Really good idea to find out what suits me. I have really bristly stiff whiskers. Can dull a Mach 3 in about 5 uses.

I use a safety razor with Astra blades. Cheap as chips. Just slightly less sharp than the Feathers but perfect for me. 100 blades for $17 Canadian!

Astras work ok for me. But I'm of norwegian descent, and those Feather brand are perfect. I did shave off a few bumps in the early days, and I learned how to pull the razor at 90 degrees to the blade orientation, and to be careful on the approach, and slow down.  They are more expensive than Astra, I think I paid $33 for 100... that works out to about $.50/week.

But no nicks in years. I do keep a stiptik(sp?) pencil handy...

9 hours ago, Zonker said:

"Safety" razors are second only to straight razors for cuts & nicks in my experience.

The plastic disposables a so much better I can't understand why safety razors still exist.

I nicked myself a lot in the first two weeks. Then I learned to generally shave right after a shower and had no issues at all. A nick maybe once every 3 weeks or more?

The plastic disposables have such dull blades - they mostly bounce off my whiskers. The whiskers laugh in an obnoxious French accent.

Yeah, rarely nick anymore. Very close shaves. Unbelievably inexpensive. Astra is a darn good blade. The Feathers are a little nicky.........