Sign in to follow this  
Moster

J/122 Inner forestay

Plannning to install an inner forestay on my J/122 to use with smaller headsails in windy conditions and when reaching. Asked Hall Spars about recommendations for reinforcements in the carbon mast but they thought it was a bad idea and didn't want to give advise. Anyone here that can give me advise on arrangement?

Yeah, don't do it. Just put up a smaller headsail on your normal forestay. The 122 doesn't need it. 

When reaching, use a genoa staysail set on a padeye tied to the anchor locker bulkhead. 

• Like 1

The 121 uses a heavy weather jib set on a furler that hoists on a halyard just under the jib halyards, using the reinforcement of the forestay area thus not requiring runners? There is a J122 in the UK that i’m also sure has checkstays.

We always just put up furled staysails on jib halyards tacked to a padeye on the anchor locker bulkhead as well.  Can't see the benefit of a dedicated inner forestay, plus there have been enough problems with the 122 rigs that if hall said not to do it I wouldn't do it.

• Like 1

We race shorthanded often in quick changing conditions and it would be nice to have a smaller jib setup to use instead of having to switch headsail. What about problems with the J/122 rig. Anyone with more information?

I know that three east coast USA J/122s dropped their rigs within the same year.  Dolphin broke a spreader which seemed to be the outlier.  Orion and Tarahumara both had a similar issue (as far as I have heard) which involved the terminal fitting of the V1s ripping out of the mast.  On Orion I believe that the fitting broke and the rig came down.  On Tarahumara the mast failed around the fitting and it ripped the carbon down the mast.  Quick thinking a reactions by the crew saved the mast from coming down but it had to be sleeved - a pretty significant repair.

Interesting to read about those US rigs @vtsail, hadn't heard about those issues over there. Whilst all rigs (for Euro boats and US boats) were Hall, they were not the same. Didier was always very particular and it shows in the differences also in the J/111 One-Design for instance with quite differing geometries and set-ups. Just shows that the badge might have been the same but very much two separate shops.

For the Euro J/122 there were also various rig options straight out of the factory which I never notice on the US boats. I think a few of the Euro boats now have very special rigs, like for the Dutch dealer (or-ex dealer) with very much the focus on shorthanded stuff. 

Orion's issue was also seen on Liquid (IIRC) in the Caribbean which was over-tensioning the backstay and tearing the crane off the top of the mast. 

Also worth noting that some of the newer boats have mast jacks (like Orion).  There are definitely some variations in the rigs.  I'm just saying I would check mine closely before making modifications, especially ones that the manufacturer doesn't recommend.  My fault on the reason for the Orion failure, I must have been misinformed.

Mighta been dolphin that had the failure at the top of the rig. Or all three. Point being I think twice before nailing on the backstay on any 122. 

When did Dolphin, Orion and T drop their rigs? was this recently (last year or so) or further back?

Dolphin and Tarahumara were both during the 2015 Annapolis to Newport Race.  I believe that Orion dropped their rig at Key West Race Week in 2017.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, Moster said:

We race shorthanded often in quick changing conditions and it would be nice to have a smaller jib setup to use instead of having to switch headsail. What about problems with the J/122 rig. Anyone with more information?

Moster, what was your eventual solution? I also race short handed and am looking for a similar solution. J Boats said the bulkhead aft of the anchor locker would need to be reinforced to handle the loads of a properly tensioned upwind J/4. I’d love to have a setup similar to the J/121 but it may be cost prohibitive. 

I’ve a storm jib removable forestay on my J120. Used in anger about 3 times. It goes to the check stays . It’s good . Also where do I getsprit pole seals from and should there be 2 . One at the bow and one at the anchor locker .