Piginwater

What to know about buying a Flying Dutchman

I've had my eye out for one for quite a while and one finally came up that's at a very reasonable price, although it's a fair drive from me.

Right now I'm talking to the seller for pics, and then if it looks good I'll make the drive to look it over in person.

It has two sets of sails, one set supposedly pretty new, and was owned by a club for racing. It's supposed to be setup for racing.

I'll just be using it for playing around with my girl, a fast fun daysailer that she can trapeze on when desired and we can play around with. So I don't need it to be up to specs for racing.

What should I be on the lookout for? What should I ask about on the phone/email before I make the drive?

Really need more details. How old? Wood? Fiberglass? There is at least one possibly two really good FD threads on rebuilding wood FDs. Might give you an idea of issues and work involved to correct. 

56 minutes ago, SailMoore1 said:

Really need more details. How old? Wood? Fiberglass? There is at least one possibly two really good FD threads on rebuilding wood FDs. Might give you an idea of issues and work involved to correct. 

I feel pretty silly, I completely forgot there were wood as well as glass boats. I guess that should be my first question to him when I talk to him again! A year of it would be nice too.

It seems like it's been raced in the last year, so I'm assuming it at least floats. It's very cheap (to my mind) but cheap in the short term can mean expensive in the long term.

I'll post pics when he sends them.

The FD is a lot of boat for a couple to just play around with. Your girl is going to need to be very strong to handle that big genoa. Plus, although it can be simplified, I am sure even the club racer you are looking at will be rigged such that it will be a complicated process to put together and manage. Lots of moving pieces! 

• Like 1

Remember the words of that famous American, John Arbuckle  -  " You get what you pay for "   If you find a very inexpensive FD ( which usually means old ) you are potentially setting yourself up for many repairs and considerable expense. Do you want to spend your time sailing or working on a boat? If you just want to go sailing you might consider a less complex and easier to use sailboat. Try some other designs before you commit. The FD is very sexy and attractive for lots of reasons but is it the correct boat for you? Happy Sailing! 

If your looking at the FD for sale in Wenatchee it is a late 60's Plastrend. 

I've camped next to it a few times when sailing at the annual regatta on the lake and it is in decent shape with some updated rigging and a cool coil spring trailer.

It got hit with a whack of fire retardant  during a fire a few years ago so had a ugly orange patina that might be hard to get out.

This is it in the video.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gbOOpuhIg

GET HULL OR SAIL #, WILL BE BIG HELP IN ADVISING IF WORTH BUYING. I HAVE USA1268.

FD12168 CM.jpg

Edited by ortegakid
AD PIX

And remember, 27 lines to play with can be a bit much for a new sailor.

19 minutes ago, wannabefd said:

If your looking at the FD for sale in Wenatchee it is a late 60's Plastrend. 

I've camped next to it a few times when sailing at the annual regatta on the lake and it is in decent shape with some updated rigging and a cool coil spring trailer.

It got hit with a whack of fire retardant  during a fire a few years ago so had a ugly orange patina that might be hard to get out.

This is it in the video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gbOOpuhIg

Yeah that's the one. It seems really cheap to me, compared to what I can find elsewhere. Thanks for finding the video!

Fire retardant, was it on fire or something close to it was?

It will be about a 4.5 hour drive each way for me to go get it.

10 hours ago, bill4 said:

The FD is a lot of boat for a couple to just play around with. Your girl is going to need to be very strong to handle that big genoa. Plus, although it can be simplified, I am sure even the club racer you are looking at will be rigged such that it will be a complicated process to put together and manage. Lots of moving pieces! 

My idea is to replace my Hobie 16 and my other dinghy with the FD. I'm hoping to simplify the rig enough so that I can dry sail it and launch it in roughly an hour.

My goal is to have a fast, powerful planing boat for two that can be a thrill ride and can be trapezed, while still able to depower it enough to relax occasionally.

Is that doable with the FD?

Go for it! I had a FD with a full double bottom that had a red hull like that and it became known as the 'Flying Tomato'! Later had a Plastrend model which only had the double bottom fwd of the traveller. Boat seemed stiffer and was way easier to sail (for the helmsman!). I think the Plastrend had solid glass hull with foam glass hat section stringers which was probably made it seem stiffer overall. I think the tomato was a foam cored hull and not as fast since it was a bit of a flying carpet. It did have a cassette daggerboard rudder which was pretty cool especially in really light air (San Diego). 

I think the struts had some kind of repair but otherwise I remember the boat being pretty solid. 

The biggest issue might be condition of the trailer, it hasn't gone far in many years.

Pretty much the whole town got hit with retardant in 2015

51 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

GET HULL OR SAIL #, WILL BE BIG HELP IN ADVISING IF WORTH BUYING. I HAVE USA1268.

FD12168 CM.jpg

According to that video that wannabefd posted, it's sail number US-1039

• Like 1

Saw that, looks good, how much are ya getting it for ?

On 2/2/2019 at 10:38 PM, wannabefd said:

The boat a few years ago

IMG_1134.JPG

That looks great, thanks! 

He's taking a long time to get back to me on it, I don't think he's in a huge hurry to sell it. It seems like it's in good enough shape for the price, maybe I'll just give him a deposit to hold it for a few weeks, then go up and get it.

Thanks for the help wannabefd!

• Like 1

Did you get the boat?  I remember it.. orange, I think.  It'll be a great lake daysailer if that's what you are looking for.   It'll be nearly the fastest thing on the lake, as well. 

I have an FD in Seattle, I'd e happy to talk rigging with you if you post some pics. 

I haven't yet. I haven't given up on it, but he kind of left it up in the air and still hasn't gotten back to me.

Since then I lost access to my trailer, lost a friend who died, my motorcycle got stolen and then recovered, and I got swamped with orders for my company. I still have it in my mind, I just need to set out a full day when I go get it, and then see if he still has it.

Thank you for the offer, I'll take both of you up on it when/if I get up there.

I'll give unfix8r a hand,, here's a chart of subtypes of FD you'll be looking at.....  http://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/dino-directory.html

Joking aside, Kootenay Lake's a great spot.  A  Flying Dinosaur would give you a good solid platform, and reasonable sail area for the drifting you'll be doing most of the time.  Mind you, 6mile is where I caught the strongest blaster of my life.  40 min of full-ON squall.  :blink:

Mebbe I'll see you out there this year,, my son lives in Nelson.