Hi all,

The time has come for new wet weather gear and it has raised the difficult question: Smock VS Jacket

I sail out of Sydney and mostly race offshore on a variety of boats (first 40, old TP and virtually anything I can get my hands on). Generally speaking I helm/trim main doing BWPS, Southport race and Hobart as well as round the cans.

I thought I was set until a Musto rep suggested an MPX smock (with the rubber neck seal) & an MPX jacket as an option rather than HPX. Has anything tried something like this?

Makes sense and gives me an option for more protection when on the rail, for virtually the same price as HPX but not sure on combining two outer layers. Appreciate opinions/experiences! 

If you a search for smock, foulies or wet weather gear in Gear Anarchy you should fine plenty of discussion

On my second MPX smock.. use it on all the usual offshores out of Sydney. 

I think it's awesome. I'll never go back to a jacket.

You don't need HPX for any races you mentioned. 

There is only one downside, and that is you cannot wear it open, as a casual spray sort of jacket, so you will overheat in benign conditions. Wear something else like a light dinghy spray top in those situations.

Maybe he was suggesting wearing either depending on weather? Two layers would not work.

Before I got the better Ocean gear I used to use a dinghy smock under a coastal jacket.

The jacket gave protection & warmth & the smock kept the leaks out.  It worked well & I did 5 or 6 Hobarts this way.

Unfortunately most of the dinghy smocks now days are made for people who fit in a dinghy.  When I tried to replace my old XL smock (which still fit), with the new XXL by the same company I couldn't get it past my shoulders to see if it would fit around my tubby gut!

Having said that my latest Henri Lloyd ocean gear kept me dry all the way to Noumea on a TP,  which was as wet as swimming, so I guess either way would work.

I did find that I tended to wear just the smock for day racing though, as it was lighter and more flexible when you didn't need the extra protection.  

Thanks @JMore I took a look back but no one had mentioned the layering before. 

@duncan (the other one) Much appreciated. The rep was suggesting the smock as the go to but then chucking a jacket on top for the rail. 

I’m a fan of the rubber neck seal, nothing worse than water running down the back of your neck. But unsure about the lack of hood. Anyone found this was a drama or just gone for a warm beanie? 

Lack of hood is no good ... I'm using an MPX smock with hood.

He must be talking the MPX 'light' smock . Which is almost a dinghy smock.

How are you going to throw a jacket over your harness when changing roles on deck? I don't think it works (but am willing to be told otherwise)

I think you will be wanting a hood for races like Hobart. It’s nice to cover your face when sitting on the rail in the wet stuff. I had a MPX smock but recently swapped it for the Zhik Isotak 2 smock. Similar products but the Zhik hood and face cover is much more robust.

Yeah, the lack of hood worries me although I do like the waterproof neck/wrist seal. 

I suppose that any change in layers when on deck means harness has to come off?

1 hour ago, Adventures Of A Ginger said:

Yeah, the lack of hood worries me although I do like the waterproof neck/wrist seal. 

I'm a big advocate for smocks. I have 3. One dry smock with latex seals on neck and wrists for the gnarley shit! one normal dinghy smock for the warmer days and then the offshore Zhik with velcro closures for any offshore races.

....and yes, any changes to layers on deck requires the harness to come off briefly before changing.

15 hours ago, Adventures Of A Ginger said:

@duncan (the other one) Much appreciated. The rep was suggesting the smock as the go to but then chucking a jacket on top for the rail. 

Jeez...I wonder what he'd recommend for working up the front offshore in shitty conditions, then??  Stupid me for assuming a Musto MPX jacket would keep me (and my layers) dry, obvs.  So unimpressed with it that I've been considering a smock - from someone else.  I'll keep using the jacket for skiing on sunny days.

5 hours ago, Adventures Of A Ginger said:

which surely rules it out as an option?

Go light dinghy style smock for day-sailing, and MPX for overnighters.

I have 3 smocks with varying thickness, 5 jackets, 3 different boots and 3 different shoes, oh wait, I'm in scandinavistan ;)  HPX is only for the coldest days. You won't need that where you sail. Stay away from anything from SailRacing if you want to keep dry. They have nice looking stuff but it's not waterproof very long. So only for the warm days when you want to just look cool. Yes, for that reason I bought a sailracing bikini. Their marketing team could just have looked up my name and sent me the catalogue and be done with it. 

On 1/30/2019 at 11:51 PM, duncan (the other one) said:

On my second MPX smock.. use it on all the usual offshores out of Sydney. 

I think it's awesome. I'll never go back to a jacket.

You don't need HPX for any races you mentioned. 

There is only one downside, and that is you cannot wear it open, as a casual spray sort of jacket, so you will overheat in benign conditions. Wear something else like a light dinghy spray top in those situations.

Maybe he was suggesting wearing either depending on weather? Two layers would not work.

I have an old MPX Smock and since bought a Gill jacket.  I just brought th esmock out of retirement as the Gill jacket leaks and is way more cumbersome to use.  Last I used teh Gill jacket I ended up wearing a ronstan dinghy smock under it to keep dry.  That actually worked pretty well in keeping me warm and dry in the last Southport Race

4 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

I have an old MPX Smock and since bought a Gill jacket.  I just brought th esmock out of retirement as the Gill jacket leaks and is way more cumbersome to use.  Last I used teh Gill jacket I ended up wearing a ronstan dinghy smock under it to keep dry.  That actually worked pretty well in keeping me warm and dry in the last Southport Race

if it worked for you - that's good.

I can't say I've had much success trying to layer breathable stuff. 

17 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Yes, for that reason I bought a sailracing bikini.

Picture or it isn't true !  :rolleyes:

• Like 1