Sign in to follow this  
More Cowbell2

Baby its cold outside

41 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Is that Long Beach?

Since you worked in southern CA you probably never had the experience of scraping the inside of the cab window with a spanner! BTW it leaves little aluminum scratches.

Close enough. But I might surprise you, my USFS Interagency Command Team worked most of the western US including a little bit in ID and WY. (Although never got over into CO so it was mostly PNW) I do have to say..........you do have me there though.......I have never "deiced" the inside of the cab windows with a spanner..............

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aVYvDed_460swp.webp

guess the make of the car

It's a Miata, because...Miata Is Always The Answer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aPYgMeV_460swp.webp

I hope she demanded double time.

At least.

You got any info on that slide?

Natures clearcut.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Is that Long Beach?

Since you worked in southern CA you probably never had the experience of scraping the inside of the cab window with a spanner! BTW it leaves little aluminum scratches.

KIWI Spanner is StainlessSteel (still got mine)

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aVYvDed_460swp.webp

guess the make of the car

a4Qo60w_460swp.webp

aPYgMeV_460swp.webp

What the heck are these things?

All I see is a random-like filename with a .webp extension

15 minutes ago, oldgoatroper said:

FF 62.0 isn't good enough?

65 is the current version.

52 minutes ago, slap said:

65 is the current version.

I used to have the DOS interrupt table memorized and now I can't even keep my browser current...

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You are a disturbed man Maxx.

There's ICE in Fisherman's Cove FFS.

I know. Some of the fleet has pulled the pin. See if you can find what happened at Sewell's Marina today. 60 knots or more. Ferries were cancelled. Etc,etc,etc. There was a thought to cancel racing in the morning too. I have raced in WVYC since the '70's. Never had to cancel a race.

But I have seen ice at T-Bird so thick ice in the early '80's you could walk over to the club. Rare, yes, but it happens. You know Nelson Creek empties into the marina. A lot of fresh water mixed with the salt. Some clowns do crack the ice for crabbing etc. That will slice the hull doing that.

I'm on a feed on Wastebook with P. Khan and there was snow in Santa Cruz where he lives. I'll try to find a pic.

3 hours ago, oldgoatroper said:

What the heck are these things?

All I see is a random-like filename with a .webp extension

They are very hot naked Swedish women.  You are missing out I'm afraid.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, White Lightnin' said:

Washington is officially the laughing stock of any of the cold weather states. The Governor has declared a state of emergency because we have 3" of snow on the ground!!

YCMTSU!!!

WL

His very first time in the Big Game,  the focus of the world is on Governor Candidate to guide a frightened people through an "Emergency".

:(    punted on first down.

Wyoming, Idaho, Montana clear through the Vortex,, are gonna be heaping Ridicule on us and calling us all sissies 

,  Canukistanis are going to be insufferable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

His very first time in the Big Game,  the focus of the world is on Governor Candidate to guide a frightened people through an "Emergency".

:(    punted on first down.

Wyoming, Idaho, Montana clear through the Vortex,, are gonna be heaping Ridicule on us and calling us all sissies 

,  Canukistanis are going to be insufferable.

Always!... Insufferable that is! And i'm going to get the gears from PB cause I'm in Vallarta...pics to follow. :-)

15 hours ago, bhyde said:

It's a Miata, because...Miata Is Always The Answer.

I liked my MS2.

16 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

annrqmqm_700w_0.jpg

OMG, that made me chuckle.  WFD!  Golf clap.

18 degrees when I got in the Burb. 22 degrees on the boat. Makes for a beautiful run to the islands. But this steel barge is like the game operation. "If you touch the sides" brrrrrr......

WL

Edited to ad, my phone's autocorrect changes brrr to beer!!! Trying to tell me something??

9 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I know. Some of the fleet has pulled the pin. See if you can find what happened at Sewell's Marina today. 60 knots or more. Ferries were cancelled. Etc,etc,etc.

Separate thread on it in SA.

It's a huge mess - if we get another Squamish before they get a new barge in position Sewells will be gone.

1 hour ago, White Lightnin' said:

my phone's autocorrect changes brrr to beer!!! Trying to tell me something?? 

more emergency  beer ?

Yup... Seems about right.

FB_IMG_1549869162725.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 10:10 AM, jerseyguy said:

So is mine but she thinks that “cleaning” is a 4 letter word.

On the other hand, my almost 90 year old Armenian neighbors have a house so clean that you can literally eat off of the floors.

You go into their basement and other than the furnace, water heater, washer and dryer there is nothing in it. Nothing.

You're not in the witness protection program, are you?

On 2/8/2019 at 9:35 PM, bhyde said:

I love my Miata.

IMG_20130818_133933.thumb.jpg.257f203c3530ed2be37d136a951adfc2.jpg

Your garage is too clean - no grease?  oil spills? Sawdust?  tools out on the bench?   You must not have little kids or a commute... ;-) 

10 hours ago, hobot said:

Yup... Seems about right.

FB_IMG_1549869162725.jpg

Yup. Gonna shovel the sidewalk again today so the freezing rain due tomorrow doesn't turn the place into a 3" thick slab of ice. 

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Your garage is too clean - no grease?  oil spills? Sawdust?  tools out on the bench?   You must not have little kids or a commute... ;-) 

Are you nuts ?

The glider is hanging crooked. The calendar extends below the edge of the white board. That mess on the right side bench should be folded neatly. There's something in that left edge chair that doesn't belong there.

And this little black schweinehund must be moved well left, to make room for zis fine Churman automobile. MEIN GOTT !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

But he does have a sick mind.

13 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Are you nuts ?

The glider is hanging crooked. The calendar extends below the edge of the white board. That mess on the right side bench should be folded neatly. There's something in that left edge chair that doesn't belong there.

And this little black schweinehund must be moved well left, to make room for zis fine Churman automobile. MEIN GOTT !

My long lost brother!!! All that and.....that bike shouldn't be just leaning against the wall!! Pffft.

Wow. Rough crowd. I assure you, the garage has been thoroughly cleaned and reorganized since that photo was taken. And as far as no tools visible in the photo go, I beg to differ. On the right side of the photo what looks like white blobs are my drill press, grinder, and vacuum pump. My wife made some custom covers out of Tyvek to keep them clean and tidy. Y'all are slobs!

32 minutes ago, bhyde said:

Wow. Rough crowd. I assure you, the garage has been thoroughly cleaned and reorganized since that photo was taken. And as far as no tools visible in the photo go, I beg to differ. On the right side of the photo what looks like white blobs are my drill press, grinder, and vacuum pump. My wife made some custom covers out of Tyvek to keep them clean and tidy. Y'all are slobs!

Tyvek drill press covers?   I rest my case.   ;-) 

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Tyvek drill press covers?   I rest my case.   ;-) 

Don't forget the vacuum pump and grinder...

DSC01384.JPG.3e7415bcb8b4b8102c9babe0a43622b8.JPG

And lest you think nothing "nautical" gets done in the garage...

IMG_20120610_100500.thumb.jpg.f28d7b0e70f961ba02431ae4ad75e666.jpg

beam replacement and reinforcement on my old a-cat. So there!

• Like 1

After I worked on the a-cat, my wife did find a small glob of epoxy on the floor (about 14mm). Nearly ended out 20-year marriage.

DSC01382.JPG.5b75a137cc7c85bd3a565a75f4f37516.JPG

That's a sidewalk.

But nice use of visual aides.

43 minutes ago, bhyde said:

And lest you think nothing "nautical" gets done in the garage...

IMG_20120610_100500.thumb.jpg.f28d7b0e70f961ba02431ae4ad75e666.jpg

beam replacement and reinforcement on my old a-cat. So there!

We’re just jealous. Finding fault is soothing.

• Like 1

It's why we are here.

14 minutes ago, Point Break said:

We’re just jealous. Finding fault is soothing.

And to really make y'all jealous, my wife was the one who did the interior finishing of the garage. It was originally open studs. I hung the sheetrock and she mudded, taped and textured the walls, installed the flush lighting, and came up with these nifty overhead storage bins to store all the crap that I would normally throw in random places on the floor (verboten!).

DSC01393.JPG.009185d02d8089c89c121ae883eaa99f.JPG

DSC01394.JPG.c1f61b14c5d4ea218efafed3ff8b43fb.JPG

• Like 4

Those bin racks are crazy creative.

Two thumbs up - even if that is an obsessive compulsive space.

• Like 2

Awesome, truly awesome. I would suggest, however, that if you're in the state of CA, that you put some stops on the ends of those T rails so the containers don't shimmy out in an earthquake. I'd hate to see a dent in your Stuttgart tractor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

Awesome, truly awesome. I would suggest, however, that if you're in the state of CA, that you put some stops on the ends of those T rails so the containers don't shimmy out in an earthquake. I'd hate to see a dent in your Stuttgart tractor.

Heading to the garage now. I'll splice up some Specta straps with some carabiners and eye-straps. Good call.

• Like 1

Make sure you get your wife to approve the design first.

20 minutes ago, IStream said:

Make sure you get your wife to approve the design first.

Design approved. And...

IMAG0690.thumb.jpg.07a4a793e9e8200711f622c38543d3bb.jpg

...Done. Yes, of course those are proper eye-splices in the Spectra. Are we not sailors?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, bhyde said:

And to really make y'all jealous, my wife was the one who did the interior finishing of the garage. It was originally open studs. I hung the sheetrock and she mudded, taped and textured the walls, installed the flush lighting, and came up with these nifty overhead storage bins to store all the crap that I would normally throw in random places on the floor (verboten!).

fawk... don't show my wife those photos'   i've got enough projects..    your wife would die if she saw my garage... 

6 minutes ago, bhyde said:

Design approved. And...

...Done. Yes, of course those are proper eye-splices in the Spectra. Are we not sailors?

i guessing the vertical studs were in put in place before the drywall..   how much weight you have in those?

3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i guessing the vertical studs were in put in place before the drywall..   how much weight you have in those?

The bins hold about 20lbs each. The vertical 2x4's are through bolted into the second floor joist (above the garage), which run perpendicular to the vertical 2x4s on 16" centers if I remember correctly. It ain't going anywhere. The sheetrock was already in place.

1 minute ago, bhyde said:

The bins hold about 20lbs each. The vertical 2x4's are through bolted into the second floor joist (above the garage), which run perpendicular to the vertical 2x4s on 16" centers if I remember correctly. It ain't going anywhere. The sheetrock was already in place.

answering my questions before I ask them... thanks..    my ceiling is already sheetrocked etc.. 

i'm guessing you drilled through the vertical studs to  mount them to the joists..   what size bolts ?  1/4" 

we have stacks of the same sort of bins but they sit on top of 4 drawer lateral cabinets my wife uses for storage..

btw my wife would give you a hard time for not having  large labels indicating (not itemized ) what's in each box :)

1 hour ago, bhyde said:

Give Mrs. Hyde and big "adda girl'  that is awesome... 

Mrs. Nacra let me build a shed for all my crap and stuff...    That is my area to do with as I please.  God forbid I do anything as foolish as drop some West Systems on the floor anywhere outside of my shed. If so that German/Norwegian wife of mine would have wishing I was John Wayne Bobbit and got off that lightly..:lol:

34 minutes ago, bhyde said:

Design approved. And...

No soft shackles?  :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

answering my questions before I ask them... thanks..    my ceiling is already sheetrocked etc.. 

i'm guessing you drilled through the vertical studs to  mount them to the joists..   what size bolts ?  1/4" 

we have stacks of the same sort of bins but they sit on top of 4 drawer lateral cabinets my wife uses for storage..

btw my wife would give you a hard time for not having  large labels indicating (not itemized ) what's in each box :)

I think it was a 1/4" lag bolt. As I recall, identifying the position of the second floor joist was the critical factor.

My wife would normally label the bins, she has an awesome labeling machine and the genetic wherewithal to use it, but the clear bins let you easily see what's inside. Of course the bins only contain items that are closely related (plumbing, x-mas stuff, etc.) and are sorted by frequency of use. It's a level of OCD that causes older Germans to nod their heads in deep, tearful satisfaction.

20 minutes ago, IStream said:

No soft shackles?  :ph34r:

Version 1 of the design had the soft shackle, but was rejected by the Committee in favor of a quicker release setup. Every design is a compromise.

IMAG0691.thumb.jpg.5da389baf1a5a5c27f213f958116a380.jpg

Jesus Christ! I just cleared the snow!

image.thumb.png.d588f44f8d4f891110469b84c57f1cc8.png

At least it's not cold.

2 hours ago, bhyde said:

It's a level of OCD that causes older Germans to nod their heads in deep, tearful satisfaction.

So I have to ask.... in you wife's closet are the white clothes on white hangers, red on red, blue on blue etc...?  

3 hours ago, bhyde said:

Design approved. And...

That was quick.

I thought it best to post some pics of a sane persons garage at this point.

The only input my wife had was insisting on space for the freezer

DSCN0303.JPG

DSCN0305.JPG

DSCN0304.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bhyde said:

Geez,  I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  :)

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

DSCN0304.JPG

Is...is...is that a jar of peanut butter on top of the frig!? Hold me baby Jesus.

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

So I have to ask.... in you wife's closet are the white clothes on white hangers, red on red, blue on blue etc...? 

Not necessary. She only wears black and gray. No self respecting German would dare wear colors as festive as red or blue in a formal setting like the home. C'mon man.

It's snowmeggodon in the NW! I actually put the Burb in 4x4 this evening. Primarily for driving around the Summer Tire Driving Club members that were holding their meetings all over the place!

Pulled a few people out of ditches and just drove around marveling at the unabashed, unbridled ignorance of the average commuter!

WL

4 minutes ago, White Lightnin' said:

It's snowmeggodon in the NW! I actually put the Burb in 4x4 this evening. Primarily for driving around the Summer Tire Driving Club members that were holding their meetings all over the place!

Pulled a few people out of ditches and just drove around marveling at the unabashed, unbridled ignorance of the average commuter!

WL

Nothing wrong with playing Do-Gooder every now and then. Did WL jr. Come along?

26 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Nothing wrong with playing Do-Gooder every now and then. Did WL jr. Come along?

Yep. Schools cancelled and so snow driving practice and good Samaritan training was the order of the day. All in all a productive day!

WL

1 hour ago, White Lightnin' said:

the Summer Tire Driving Club 

Hey! I resemble that remark!!

I love the overhead bins (which do need labels and a ground-level inventory list) and the fatal flaws in the ridiculously clean garage. I'm glad Sloopy showed a more normal one.

I'm lucky to have 3 sheds, a workshop, a guest house, and a boatport where my wife just doesn't go. A pic of my workshop would cause heart failure in a good German wife. And I JUST cleaned it.

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

You mean you have different tires for different seasons? My oh my........

:rolleyes:

Some of them have whole different cars, which they trash on salty roads and then sell to unsuspecting Floridians, who haven't heard of such things.

Back on topic, left my guest house door open all night, air conditioner still set to 83 from yesterday. It's 76 in here right now, which is four degrees into the "cold" temperature range for me. So BRRRRRR!

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

DSCN0303.JPG

DSCN0305.JPG

DSCN0304.JPG

I need to get one of those signs for my workshop.  My Wife borrows tools, but doesn't seem to know how to return them.  

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

DSCN0305.JPG

I note the presence of a gas can that actually has a vent.

I'm kind of a collector of those.

Are they still allowed up there?

7 hours ago, Point Break said:

I don't, slap on a decent set of all seasons and drive like you own it. Hell even a cheap set of tires driven by someone who knows what they're doing will suffice. I've taken my POS suby places that would have a yuppy in a range rover shaking in his driver seat.

I consider this sexy as hell. What do you think that little cord in the grill is for?

IMG_0705-X3.jpg

On 2/8/2019 at 9:35 PM, bhyde said:

I love my Miata.

IMG_20130818_133933.thumb.jpg.257f203c3530ed2be37d136a951adfc2.jpg

OK. Making me do this.  My new garage.  S-2000 (AP-2) is Mom's nice day 3 season toy. 911 is son's daily driver that has since lost the nose art.  It lives in my garage and he drives an old Civic SI when it snows and/or salt is on the roads.  Abarth is daughter's pride an joy and it moved to Florida last fall.

S-2000 and 911 are currently "double stacked" and covered in the left stall so Momma and I can park our cars out of the weather.  I am doing all I can to not "junk up" the garage.  A shed for yard tools, a "boat shed" down by the dock to keep dinghy outboard, storm. lines, etc in and a 36 X 24 storage loft above the garage helps.  My theory on the garage was that the state was only going to give me one variance to build it and the marginal cost of going as big as they would allow (38x38) and enough headroom (14') to allow a future 2 post lift installation had to be paid.  My daughter calls it the Taj Ma Garage.  

Garage .JPG

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I don't, slap on a decent set of all seasons and drive like you own it. Hell even a cheap set of tires driven by someone who knows what they're doing will suffice. I've taken my POS suby places that would have a yuppy in a range rover shaking in his driver seat.

I consider this sexy as hell. What do you think that little cord in the grill is for?

IMG_0705-X3.jpg

Engine heater.

https://www.lifewire.com/car-block-heater-frozen-north-534833

What did I win?

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Engine heater.

What did I win?

Shhhhh, the question was geared to pb and his warm weather elk.

2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Shhhhh, the question was geared to pb and his warm weather elk.

I live in Canada and never bothered with that option.  Must be for really cold places.

Some very nice custom features in your garages!

How many have a strategically located access hole in the ceiling to accommodate hooves?

20190116_101506.jpg

1 minute ago, Tax Man said:

I live in Canada and never bothered with that option.  Must be for really cold places.

More like a cold blooded diesel engine.

I don’t mind the cold, there is something soothing about a windless sub zero day. I don’t mind the snow, it’s no problem if your road commish knows what they are doing and you give them the time to do it. But I’m pretty tired of the ice. Today we are having the third freezing rain in the last 2 weeks. That shit is nasty. 

8 hours ago, Point Break said:

Interestingly enough, I had to get new tires last month and really like the service from the local Les Schwab. I went against my better judgment and switched from the BFG AT's I have run on forever and got a decent set of Toyo AT's. 

I was surprised at the level of road noise in the Toyo's. They are great up to about 60. Above that they sound like you are driving on grooved pavement. Really disappointing. I have a spare set of rims for the Burb and will probably get a set of BFG TA's for three season tires and just switch out in the spring and fall. 

I will say the Toyo's have a great tread pattern. I have not needed 4x4 except to get around the more dysfunctional drivers on the side of road. But the tires were touted as being :"quiet" all season. Not so much

WL

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Some very nice custom features in your garages!

How many have a strategically located access hole in the ceiling to accommodate hooves?

20190116_101506.jpg

Winner!!!  

20 hours ago, bhyde said:

That's a beautiful 911!  Is that a Ruff?  What model/year?

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

DSCN0303.JPG

<SNIP>  Where's the sofa and beer fridge, and your powder coating/paint hardening/metal expanding for clearance fits 30 yr old yellow oven?