DryArmour

AROUND CATALINA ISLAND RACE- BE SAFE

For my friends planning to do the Around Catalina Island Race tomorrow: Please know your limitations and the limitations of your crew and vessel. Good luck to all that go to sea. The image is from the latest 1KM high resolution model (1800Z) run through a computer enhanced model. Things could change between now and the start but it is worth knowing that the current forecast is for very windy conditions and a pretty large sea state out by the west end of Catalina Island.

Be safe everyone.

SAT 02022019 GUST 41.jpg

Yeah waiting for the call on the around Coronado Island Race out of San Diego Sat.  Not sure they can send a bunch of 30 foot boats out into 20-45.  I'm on a 50 footer so hoping we get to go as we just don't get this sort of condition very often.  One of the models is showing that ridge south of us by race time but the other 2 show it still there gusting to 40+

Just got word they cancelled the Coronado Race.  Anybody need a helmsman/trimmer for around Catalina haha

Shoot!  Was planning on crewing for the Coronado race.  Must admit to being a bit nervous about beating into 40+ gusts on a 26' trimaran :)

.SAT...S winds 25 to 35 kt with local gusts to 40 kt. Strongest
western portion. Combined seas 7 to 8 ft dominant period 7 seconds,
building to 9 to 10 ft dominant period 8 seconds in the afternoon.
Rain & widespread death race.

16 minutes ago, Parma said:

.SAT...S winds 25 to 35 kt with local gusts to 40 kt. Strongest
western portion. Combined seas 7 to 8 ft dominant period 7 seconds,
building to 9 to 10 ft dominant period 8 seconds in the afternoon.
Rain & widespread death race.

LOL.  A good man knows his limitations.

Anyone know if this race is still on?

Looks to be potentially easing off around start time, albeit still wet!! 

GFS left.  Euro right.

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 9.33.42 AM.png

6 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

I was just made aware that the race start is now 2PM.

That seems very sensible.

Howling down here.  Big puff hit front window of Mothers & shook hard with a boom.   We weren’t sure if it was an earthquake or what?

Visibility poor right now.   Will head up higher later for a look.   Wild ride if they start them.

kudos to those who go -  it would be great if everyone and their boats were at that level and considered this fun, but...............

Tidying things up at the dock in Harbor Island SD, 25kts steady, gusting over 40. The brave souls on B’QUEST were heading out!

A1AFB7C0-8D45-415D-9898-D2B53C9808A8.jpeg

2 hours ago, socalrider said:

Tidying things up at the dock in Harbor Island SD, 25kts steady, gusting over 40. The brave souls on B’QUEST were heading out!

A1AFB7C0-8D45-415D-9898-D2B53C9808A8.jpeg

Is that a storm sail or what?!   Cool.  

B’quest having a go.   

Mahler 7th for the soundtrack.

3 hours ago, blunderfull said:

B’quest having a go.   

Storm sail?  Not so much.

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 6.44.00 PM.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blunderfull said:

B’quest having a go.   

That’s a full main - they tucked in a reef pretty quickly after I took that pic.

This is why I went to distance sailing.  For a few years in the 80's, I raced on a boat that loved the breeze.  If it was 18+, everyone else might as well stay home.  BUT, RC's would not start a race in those conditions.  Not surprising and I'm not going to go off on volunteers, just the way it works.  Buy a light air boat for buoys.  

Any reports from anybody?  No results posted.  I saw a couple of the boats on AIS last night.

Results are up. The Farr 40 was the only B boat to finish. I think 4 of the C boats finished. Chubasco got 1st.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/17986#_newsroom+results

Nice.  Chubasco is 80  yrs old.  Feature article in Jan-Feb Wooden Boat  Magazine  with a really nice photo on the cover.  On news stands now.

Just a normal Snowflake race one year. The ILC 40 down for the count. Friggin' cold and blowing 50+.Our competitor, an ILC 46 bent their rig that day beyond repair. It had to be written off.  

Not uncommon to get 35 to 40 a lot. Particularly after Xmas when the outflow kicks in! 

Er....I'm at the back of the bus as usual.

OCCMS.KNKDWN.jpg

1 hour ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Just a normal Snowflake race one year. The ILC 40 down for the count. Friggin' cold and blowing 50+.Our competitor, an ILC 46 bent their rig that day beyond repair. It had to be written off.  

Not uncommon to get 35 to 40 a lot. Particularly after Xmas when the outflow kicks in! 

OCCMS.KNKDWN.jpg

Hardy souls.   Most excellent!

1 hour ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

OCCMS.KNKDWN.jpg

What a great picture!

3 hours ago, DryArmour said:

What a great picture!

Ya, taken from a C+C 35 apparently Mark. I was just hanging on to the boat like a little girl! Not always like that but when It's cold in the interior of BC, clear like that, we get a outflow at that time year. Jan/Feb/Mar when the snow pack has been established in the mountain ranges. Not unusual 25 to 35 knots every day. Not this year though. You've seen my pics on Wastebook on our club page. If not there it would be pretty light with a high established like that. 

2 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Ya, taken from a C+C 35 apparently Mark. I was just hanging on to the boat like a little girl! Not always like that but when It's cold in the interior of BC, clear like that, we get a outflow at that time year. Jan/Feb/Mar when the snow pack has been established in the mountain ranges. Not unusual 25 to 35 knots every day. Not this year though. You've seen my pics on Wastebook on our club page. If not there it would be pretty light with a high established like that. 

You mean like today and tomorrow?  Just delivered my boat to Bellingham.  It was 25F, snowing, and blowing 20 kts when I arrived.  Now it is 20F, snowing, and blowing 25+ kts.

11 entrants?

15 hours ago, Roleur said:

You mean like today and tomorrow?  Just delivered my boat to Bellingham.  It was 25F, snowing, and blowing 20 kts when I arrived.  Now it is 20F, snowing, and blowing 25+ kts.

We are getting a real Howe Sound outflow. Condition right now:

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=03&siteID=06400

Not unusual for winter.

Pam Rocks in Howe Sound:

Last 24 hours:

More like this a couple of weeks ago:

_IGP4864.JPG

6 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

We are getting a real Howe Sound outflow. Condition right now:

Not unusual for winter.

Pam Rocks in Howe Sound:

Last 24 hours:

More like this a couple of weeks ago:

_IGP4864.JPG

Is that a Left Coast Dart up ahead?  If so, somebody please make sure Jim Lee gets this photo!

Chubasco’s trick keel from S & S: 

“A significant feature of her design was a bronze trimming board which gives her an additional 4 feet of draft when lowered, an advantage which made her nearly invincible when sailing to windward in a breeze.”

And coupled with 35 tons displacement I’d guess that’s a pretty smooth ride in big stuff.

Gotta tell you, I was down working on my boat at Shelter Island basin Saturday and it was nukin'. I turned on the instruments and it was gusting to 42, steady on 31 and I was thinking too much of a workout to go sailing in that. Hats off to all who answered the starting gun. 

Got the pic, thanks! Every year or so I wander back in and do a search on "dart" to see if I missed any good gossip.

-jm lee

Good luck to everyone going around Catalina Island tomorrow.  The regatta shirts came out really nice.  Snap one up for you but don't forget the wife/girlfriend/daughter (Really cute V-neck cap sleeve tees) and the long sleeve tech but also super soft short and long sleeve cotton tees.