Sign in to follow this  
Alan H

Aloha 32

I'd like to hear your opinions.  I kinda like the different layout below, the boat generally makes sense for one or two people. The only thing I don't really like is the wheel, I'd prefer a tiller.

Thoughts?

They have a very good rep. as being suitable for offshore sailing.

I remember the first time I was aboard one I was struck by the layout as being very suitable for 2 as a liveaboard  but that it wouldn't work well for more than that even for short periods although it had the berths. It didn't have a spacious feel to it because of that big head compartment right in the middle.

I did a delivery on one once and liked it. Didn't spend any time below, but it was well mannered with a nice motion and sailed like a bigger boat - in a good way. 

Alan H., what's up? You're building a new rudder for the Piper OD. A32 layout looks bad to me. Potty opposite galley? It would do better in the peak.

BWTFDIK?

Not gonna buy one at this time.  I have the S-2 7.9 and the Piper.

However, I'm discussing a certain long-distance trip with my Mrs, for the future, and she is now starting to get nervous about me doing it in the S2 7.9. I bought the S-2 7.9 because it was the smallest boat I could conceive of doing the trip in, and now she's getting shaky about it, thinks it's too small.

Thus the casting-about of information on possible 30-32 footers. Honestly, a Tartan 30 or Yankee 30 is more the likely candidate because of the $$ involved, but I've always like the Aloha 32.  This is one of those "yes dear" situations.

Dear Love of My Life, I'd like to sail to Micronesia  in about 6 years.

~~Yes, dear~~

No really, I'd like to sail to Micronesia when I retire.

~~Yes, dear~~

Look, Love of My LIfe, there's this boat for sale. It's the smallest boat I can think of that's really well built that I could both sail on the Bay and do that trip to Micronesia.
~~Yes, dear~~

OK, sweetheart, we're two years  out from my retirement, it's time for me to start doing some offshore things in the boat.
~~Wait, you mean you were SERIOUS? ~~

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Alan H., what's up? You're building a new rudder for the Piper OD. A32 layout looks bad to me. Potty opposite galley? It would do better in the peak.

BWTFDIK?

"Separation" like that on a small boat is only psychological.

Sort of like privacy.

The thing about something like an Aloha 32 is that I'd have to bring it back to  California.  It's too many $$$ to leave in the eastern Pacific.

The whole plan was to sail the S2 7.9 here for a few years, then prep it for a SHTP, and then keep going through Micronesia to Guam. Then, sell the boat for whatever I can get for it, in  Guam.  I fly back home and ta-daaa...there's the Piper, which is my "retirement boat" daysailer, ready to go.

Ummmmm - California IS the eastern Pacific.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ummmmm - California IS the eastern Pacific.

That's what I was thinkin', but maybe it's the Western Atlantic.

BTW, I think SHTP means single handed trans Pacific - a bad idea, but BWTFDIK?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

"Separation" like that on a small boat is only psychological.

Sort of like privacy.

I disagree. It's olfactory and then some.

36 minutes ago, Bull City said:

That's what I was thinkin', but maybe it's the Western Atlantic.

BTW, I think SHTP means single handed trans Pacific - a bad idea, but BWTFDIK?

I disagree. It's olfactory and then some.

I'd like to do a SHTP one day, preferably once my new insurance is in place. I have to wait a couple of years for the "suicide clause" expiration, but it will take me that long to get the Wayfarer kitted out anyhow.

The Aloha 32's strikingly similar in design, appearance, and capability to Hinterhoeller's Niagara 35 - both were designed by Mark Ellis in the late 70s.  Ouyang's original Brewer designs (28 and 34) were roomy and traditional, but some of their subsequent commissions (Perry's 27, Holland's 30, and the 32) had slightly miniaturized layouts which provide all the apparent functionality of a bigger boat but not the comfort.  Not a characteristic unique to Aloha, just something to consider if you've only been ogling at pictures and design drawings!

The 32 is an honest boat, decent sailor (but not particularly speedy for the design's age at PHRF 177ish), and very suitable for coastal cruising.  I'm not sure I'd venture offshore without careful inspection and a healthy upgrade budget.  Aloha have a reasonable build reputation, but based on experience (I'm entering year four with my own Aloha 30 project), Aloha's build quality varied greatly from boat to boat and circumstance to circumstance, engineering was not their strong suit, a few of their boats have had hull-to-keel structure issues, and a number have had catastrophic rig and through-hull failures...

Lotsa general info at https://www.alohaowners.com/, and A32 specific info at https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/aloha-32-northern-delights and http://sailquest.com/market/models/alo32.htm.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Eastern schmeetern.  OK, OK, I goofed.

Thanks, Critical Path...

The S2 7.9 is probably the best boat I've ever owned for the Bay. It's the right size that it doesn't break the bank, it sails great, it's braindead simple to operate  shorthanded, and  it's fast enough.

Yes the SHTP = Singlehanded TransPac

It will certainly GET ME from Hawaii to Guam, with a dozen stops along the way, just that the Mrs. is getting nervous. If I was to buy a $30,000 boat for the trip and drop another $10K into it, I'd have to bring it back, which is not a BAD thing, just wasn't the original plan.