Varan

WIRW 2020

So what is up with WIRW these days?  Shutting it down, moving it, moving to alternate years?

I haven't been to it in ages so not up to date with any scuttlebutt?

3 hours ago, 12 metre said:

So what is up with WIRW these days?  Shutting it down, moving it, moving to alternate years?

I haven't been to it in ages so not up to date with any scuttlebutt?

Message here from the Event Organizer 

https://mailchi.mp/475af9c63826/boat-launch-system-at-race-week-2835041?fbclid=IwAR1h_xCIV9jE_4KvuwbgUT6o1CS8KaBTdnV3l3ehuYRJN4nZ44WTqv1UNic

More info in this 48 Deg North article: https://48north.com/2019/03/28/race-week-moves-to-point-roberts/?fbclid=IwAR12vkxeZ2rLRpmbd_Ble-EKk3C8eYDa15A2NG8UqzeOuoIIojNwvS6QBmo

I believe 2019 will be the last year this event will be known as WIRW.  After that, it will be Point Roberts Race Week (PRWR) and they plan on going back to the full 5 days of racing rather than the abbreviated 3 day week.

23 hours ago, 12 metre said:

More info in this 48 Deg North article: https://48north.com/2019/03/28/race-week-moves-to-point-roberts/?fbclid=IwAR12vkxeZ2rLRpmbd_Ble-EKk3C8eYDa15A2NG8UqzeOuoIIojNwvS6QBmo

I believe 2019 will be the last year this event will be known as WIRW.  After that, it will be Point Roberts Race Week (PRWR) and they plan on going back to the full 5 days of racing rather than the abbreviated 3 day week.

That's what Schelleen is saying.  Mid-July date. 

Positives:  Looks like a better shore set up for camping and tent.  Better marina.  Enough depth to handle big boats.  Closer to Vancouver and Victoria.  Freedom to set up un-congested courses. Maybe less likely to have one-way racecourses.  No more getting trapped by your competitors on the beach.  

Negatives:  83 NM delivery from Seattle but full weekends to do it with stop off in PT or Friday Harbor.  Mystery about the wind conditions - NOAA says light-medium - but nobody has sailed much there that I know of.  No more ice cream runs to Coupeville on dead days.  No more trapping your competitors on the beach. 

40 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

Also positive - back to five days of racing in 2020

I want to agree with you, but I wonder if the days of 5 day race weeks are done (for now anyway).  It seems like quite a few other former race "weeks" have gone to a 3 day racing format.   Whether that is due to demand or deemed necessity, IDK

For the people I have been racing with and against at WIRW for the past number of years, it is seen as a positive.  With the shorter week (but racing on the weekend), we still had to take the same amount of time off work for less racing time.

Not to break up the party here, but is there a thread for Swiftsure this year yet? Y'all seem like some knowledgeable locals here...

~him

4 hours ago, him&her said:

Not to break up the party here, but is there a thread for Swiftsure this year yet? Y'all seem like some knowledgeable locals here...

~him

Usually isn’t one until right around the race, or even after.