OutofOffice

J-41 death throes

1984 J-41 $2800. Good luck moving her. Can’t read her old name, but perhaps Gunslinger? So many questions. Why do I keep seeing these seemingly “good” boats that have somehow found themselves abandoned and rotting in a field somewhere. It’s always intrigued me.

3D99E7B5-97F8-4177-AF33-68049C01B90D.jpeg

I've seen that before. Rotting away in the Zombie Lands of South Texas. Sad, sad finish for a nice boat.

4 minutes ago, woahboy said:

I've seen that before. Rotting away in the Zombie Lands of South Texas. Sad, sad finish for a nice boat.

Why do you think we’re so heavily armed?

I was surprised to see 2800 asking price. This guys been trying to unload this thing for a long time and I can’t think of any reason to even take it much less buy it with balsa core. Wouldn’t surprise me if she’s full of rain water.

Dig a hole and make it a planter.

I had to ask. I contacted the seller just to settle my own curiosities.

Rain water? Check.

Random hole sawed into the hull to drain said rain water? Check.

He wants to sell the trailer for 2800 and the boat just comes "Free".

Ah Ha Ha Ha!! Nice try though.

It's Guanabra, spelling ?.

Was in Miami when there were 3 of them.

And the trailer might be worth $2800 if it did not come with the free boat.

Gunslinger was "lost" on a delivery across the Gulf of Mexico.  When you can't sell it a certain delivery guy can take care of it for you.

8 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Gunslinger was "lost" on a delivery across the Gulf of Mexico.  When you can't sell it a certain delivery guy can take care of it for you.

Shh...don't go giving him any ideas. There are already too many "wrecked and abandoned" boats around here.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:49 PM, LarryE said:

It's Guanabra, spelling ?.

Was in Miami when there were 3 of them.

That's her 

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Spent a lot of time racing against her on Victory

Jackknife also.

Where is the house????

Every year that there is a J41 thread the story of the house that was traded for the J41 comes up.   What the waterfront house is worth now and the J41...

Somebody....anybody???

1 hour ago, Kent H said:

Where is the house????

Every year that there is a J41 thread the story of the house that was traded for the J41 comes up.   What the waterfront house is worth now and the J41...

Somebody....anybody???

A house? Can’t be much of one.

500 SQ FT IN THE HOOD.THE J41 WORTH 1,000 IN GOOD SHAPE.FOR SCRAP LEAD

There's an '85 J-41 for sale in SoCal that at least looks like its in pretty good shape from the pics on the web site. Asking $29.5k at the moment.

Pardon my ignorance as I'm not aJ-boat aficianado, but are the 41s notorious as bad boats for some reasons?

i was kind of thinking of checking it out if its still around next time i visit my sister in LA. thought it might be fun for beer can races.

tiafai

pk

On 2/19/2019 at 2:20 AM, kadyca said:

There's an '85 J-41 for sale in SoCal that at least looks like its in pretty good shape from the pics on the web site. Asking $29.5k at the moment.

Pardon my ignorance as I'm not aJ-boat aficianado, but are the 41s notorious as bad boats for some reasons?

i was kind of thinking of checking it out if its still around next time i visit my sister in LA. thought it might be fun for beer can races.

tiafai

pk

What site?the j41 is a bitch down hill in a blow and a beast to handle up wind in a blow.Oh and slow as a snail but a lot of fun.

Like a number of boats from the IOR era, designers choose what to emphasis and to diminish based on the rules.   Unfortunately, the benefits do not always outweigh the penalties that the great lord, Hydrodynamic Physics, and her cousin, Aerodynamic Physics, places on torturing water and air flow around a boat.

All hail the Physics twins!  May they smile upon your offering (boat) to the environment and the rule.

- Stumbling