Sign in to follow this  
Meat Wad

Mini Skeeter, Ice or land

You don't know how lucky you are to have Ivanpah in your backyard.

These mini skeeters - are they foot steered?

Okay, these look cool... Are all home-built? Any link to the class rules. builders and more info? I only see the Ice Sailing version.

10 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

You don't know how lucky you are to have Ivanpah in your backyard.

These mini skeeters - are they foot steered?

To the best of my knowledge the only land yacht designed with hand steering is the blokart. All others are pretty much foot steered.
That is what drew me to the Blokart. It did not need any mods to be accessible.

19 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

Okay, these look cool... Are all home-built? Any link to the class rules. builders and more info? I only see the Ice Sailing version.

Scott and Dean built these in tandem. The mini skeeter hull is all wood. I believe you can contact Scott through his you tube account and ask him questions.

38 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

The designer lives in Montana. He sails on both ice and land.

See:

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/mini-skeeter-iceboat

1 hour ago, mookiesurfs said:

Why does the gooseneck float?

It's a witch.

• Like 2

tighter mainsheet tighter luff.  

What floats on water?

Actually, I have a question about the gooseneck too. Who makes them? I make similar jaw style goosenecks from carbon and webbing. After making about 150 of them I'm looking for a simpler alternative. I suck at searching for this stuff on the internet. I spend loads of time and see all kinds of shit, but never seem to find what I'm looking for. There's not much chance that the molded plastic style shown in the video would fit our booms, but it seemed worth a try.

DSCN9921.jpg

39 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

Actually, I have a question about the gooseneck too. Who makes them? I make similar jaw style goosenecks from carbon and webbing. After making about 150 of them I'm looking for a simpler alternative. I suck at searching for this stuff on the internet. I spend loads of time and see all kinds of shit, but never seem to find what I'm looking for. There's not much chance that the molded plastic style shown in the video would fit our booms, but it seemed worth a try.

DSCN9921.jpg

The gooseneck in the video was cut out of a plastic cutting board.  Occaisionally they break, some have bolted the plastic to a similar shape cut of of plat aluminum.

Here's the Mini Skeeter facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/556826031132604/

John Eisenlohr has been designing and building fast landsailers and iceboats for 30 years now,  he started on dirt as kid with his family when they were CA residents.  He's built a long string of high powered boats, often powered by solid wings of his design.  Almost all constructed of wood, as he's a cabinetmaker by trade.  He's also a great videographer, check out his videos on his US772 channel on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=us772+channel  

See if this gets your juices flowing"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwcOxlfMNKI&t=55s

The Mini Skeeter is John's answer to the time and effort required to transport and assemble the big boats.  Fits in the back of a pickup, assembles and heads out in 15 minutes or less.  Several skippers have broken 70 mph on dirt with these boats (Scott included!),  and theoretically the same could be acheived on ice with perfect conditions, which we've yet to see.  Speeds in the sixties on ice have been recorded on GPS.

America's Landsailing Cup, which is the largest US gathering of landsailers annually, is the last week of March on Ivanpah Dry Lake Bed, 45 minutes south of Vegas, just off the freeway at Primm.  Drop by, enjoy the spectacle, hang with the crazies that are drawn to this pursuit, and maybe get a ride.  Could change your life.......

Ivanpah 09 028e.jpg

Ivanpah 09 002e.jpg

Ivanpah 09 017e.jpg

Ivanpah 09 040e.jpg

Ivanpah 09 019e.jpg

Ivanpah 09 012e.jpg

Ivanpah 09 033e.jpg

P1020468e.JPG

Alvord '10 020e.jpg

IMG_4995e.JPG

P1020543e.JPG

20 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

Why does the gooseneck float?

The boom is sheeted near the center, pulling down on both the tack and the clew simultaneously.  These sails are sheeted really hard, and very flat when fully sheeted in, to reduce aerodynamic drag, which is what limits top speed.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Irrational 14 said:

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/02/03/maines-only-commercial-ice-boat-builder-has-a-passion-for-his-craft/?fbclid=IwAR18Ai7lgw2Z9cGa5PLtFa5yw50Fuq4Kt9ZcPv7XBxFbsogrVLEGaVYvklA   

Here's a guy in Maine building them for sale.   John Eisenlohr, the designer, has built a few for customers as well.  The land version has a different plank (axle), and a steel tubing front end instead of the springboard.  Everything else is the same.  It's a rapidly growing class in the desert, and gaining traction in the ice world.  A fast, comfortable and safe machine.  The class rules are on the Mini Skeeter facebook page, along with links to multiple construction videos John has posted on youtube (US772 channel), for the home builder.  Quite a few videos of Mini Skeeter there as well.

On 2/9/2019 at 3:07 PM, davefarmer said:

The boom is sheeted near the center, pulling down on both the tack and the clew simultaneously.  These sails are sheeted really hard, and very flat when fully sheeted in, to reduce aerodynamic drag, which is what limits top speed.

Thanks!