benytoe

dry or wet boat and Im not talking about water

I am sure pro boats are dry for racing but what about the smaller teams, your thoughts? half way toast?

Beer for the trip back in. Local beercan races are a different story.

Edit: And for strictly dry boats, a few edibles to share with select others on the way back goes a long way to ensure you are invited back again.

• Like 3

I've done 22 Hobarts with results from first to "the top half of page three", back in the days of big fleets & tractor feed printouts.

Of those probably 4 to 6 were DRY,  with the others being one or two drinks a day.

Now racing an X-boat in PHS which means a drink with bickies & cheeses etc. at 4 o'clock each afternoon.  It just makes for something to look forward to each day, & yes we still do it in 40 going upwind,  but the bickies do end up a bit wet!

And yes the overall win along with the PHS win we had drinks.  The line honours was dry,  but that was in the day that a carton wasn't enough for one each on a maxi.

• Like 1

One thing almost guarantee a sudden breeze after a prolonged glassout is to crack a can. If it fails to bring breeze it sure lifts moral.... Time and place, or something like that. 

lately  i had a policy of only having mid-strength beers on board (great northern)  - boys, you can have 3 or 4 a day whenever you want. Being mids, no-one ever got tipsy. Mind you we usually had the 5 o'clock drinkies which always improved morale. That said , i've sailed on dry boats and am happy with that too - not so much for deliveries....

We took a bottle of Port on the last Fastnet, had a toast and gave some to Neptune at the rock. Seemed to work well as we had a great run back to a Plymouth. 

• Like 1

I could see budgeting one beer with dinner but haven’t done it. Otherwise hide a bottle of rum and a bunch of beer in the bilge for the motor back in

Bottle of rum at the Iron Pot

• Like 1

I race on programs that swing both ways on dry vs wet.  I have a very successful program I race offshore on and we still do a one drink happy hour at 4pm everyday.  In shore most boats are dry except maybe last day sail in.  But a few still take beers out.  Honestly it all comes down to one thing... what does the owner want his experience to be?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

One thing almost guarantee a sudden breeze after a prolonged glassout is to crack a can. If it fails to bring breeze it sure lifts moral.... Time and place, or something like that. 

If that fails to bring the breeze, Well, you just picked the wrong can.  The next one you grab will bring the breeze, if not the next, and so on and so on etc...  

• Like 1

for extended racing, the weight of daily hooch is too much - if you want a quick swig or rum at half way, sure - but most guys are too tired to care that much.

Totally dry until the finish line. 

Then the crew have a beer after flaking the main or - after a distance race - go to sleep on the cabin sole holding their 7/8 full beers.  

• Like 1

Ocean races for us are dry but local racing we bring beer and scotch for the motor in. Seems reasonable and agreeable with all our crew. 

• Like 1

The main owner I have raced with since 1996 (4 different boats in that time) have been dry boats since 97/98 plenty of time to get on it after the race, and if you can't go 2-3 hours without "needing" a drink you should probably seeking some professional help.

The last 2 boats of his I've been racing on have had a bottle of rum on board for those of us who take the boat back to the marina after racing, 30-40 minute trip.

If the boat carries booze for the beer can stuff, and you`re planning to go dry for something like the Pac Cup, hopefully you`re sure your crew can go more than a week without a drink.  The last place you want to deal with somebody in withdrawal is in the middle of an ocean.  My watch partner when I did it turned into a useless, whiny, prick after four days into an 11 day trip.  

We have booze and beer on board, not tons but maybe a bottle of rum and a bottle of vodka. Everyone is expected to be responsible. a rum and tonic after coming off watch is no big deal and isn't interfering with anyone's ability. Likewise a cold beer on a hot day tastes great, it isn't always about a "buzz". That being said, we would come down pretty hard on a crew member being stupid about it. The reality is that if the race is tough at all, it barely ever gets touched, especially the booze. Last year to Bermuda, we might have each had a beer during the becalming but nothing else till arrival.

• Like 1

No booze until the finish on offshore races, then a bottle (or two or three) of rum or scotch on the motor in.  Buoy races and day races - drink up boys!

My wife demands a dry boat when we’re out, but I’ve never raced on a totally dry boat. I’ve been on boats that allow alcohol in moderation while racing/passagemaking and others that only allow alcohol after racing or even tied up in the slip after. Either is perfectly fine with me. If I find myself on a dry boat, I guess I’d leave once we got in shortly after everything was stowed and secured (lines, sails, etc.). No biggie. I like to have a drink after a race, but alcohol policy is pretty far down on my priorities when choosing what boat/crew I sail with.

There's always beer and a bottle of rum on my boat.  Both usually only come out when racing is done.  But if a crew needs some suds in between races, that's alright by me, as long as they can do their job.

Dry while racing, beers on the way in after the boat is largely put away.

For overnight races, we freeze the beer (cans, placed upside down in the freezer will not burst when frozen), and use the frozen cans in place of ice blocks to keep the rest of the food cold in the cooler.  This doesn't do the beer any favours in terms of flavour, but after a hard race, no one is complaining.  Occasionally we finish too soon, before the beer is thawed, but there are ways to deal with that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

If the boat carries booze for the beer can stuff, and you`re planning to go dry for something like the Pac Cup, hopefully you`re sure your crew can go more than a week without a drink.  The last place you want to deal with somebody in withdrawal is in the middle of an ocean.  My watch partner when I did it turned into a useless, whiny, prick after four days into an 11 day trip.  

I guess what I meant is if somebody can`t go without getting shitfaced for more than a week, there could be issues.

Long haul? Can't say, haven't been there yet.

Coastal? Depended on the mood of the skipper (once, he quit smoking 1 day before so that was particularly unpleasant), or depends on the level of crew exhaustion. 

Round the cans? We used to have a couple of beers etc. then half way through the season we realised we were doing ok in the series and figured if we applied ourselves we might get there. After that, we were a dry boat until we crossed the finish line each race. Won the series.

Cruising: Kids on board? Dry. Mates on board? Depends.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I guess what I meant is if somebody can`t go without getting shitfaced for more than a week, there could be issues.

I am not talking about getting shitfaced, i'm talking about a beer or a rum and coke before crashing... no impairment... Would never stand for somone to be shitfaced while racing or having any responsibility on board.

In the European sailing leagues, you just don’t have time to drink during races. It’s up-down-finish-changeboats all day. People have adopted to this and just get sloshed the more afterwards. Same in dinghy and/or skiff classes. 

Casually racing on our little lake, however, we have a tradition of a good sip of medium-sweet sherry when leaving port, straight from the bottle (they also do this offshore I’ve been told - sherry and salty crackers at eleven o’ clock - it’s called “going to church”). Then maybe one or two beers during the race, but sparkling water has become much more fashionable lately, blame it on global warming... On the way from finish line to port it’s rum (or whisky) of course. Then there’s the 200 Liter barrel of free beer for all active racers after the pricegiving. 

When we did a delivery across the Atlantic last year, we had one or two cans of light Spanish beer after each watch, and a glass of wine or two with dinner. 

Oh, but apart from these minor exceptions I only sail and race on strictly dry boats. 

On our boat, some guys show up early for wednesday  night racing-- pretty common to have a beer while prepping the boat before everyone shows up.    Dry during any race, for sure.    After finish, "channel beers" and then straight to the bar.    Maybe for offshore stuff, someone sneaks a case of beer on or something, which is always nice.    Deliveries ?  Different story.

Last time I raced really offshore was in the nineties. We had beer. And we went to church each day at eleven. 

When racing - dry unless you are offshore and need to crack a bottle for halfway (transpac or similar) nothing beats the first beer at the dock...although once had to persuade the Royal Bermuda YC to open at 2am - we were thirsty!

inshore beers once the sails are packed (even on beer can races)