KiwiJoker

SailGP - Sydney Inaugural Regatta

SailGP announces extensive global coverage
ahead of first event in Sydney

Broadcast agreements span 90 countries across five continents, complemented by comprehensive and innovative multi-platform digital distribution. 

https://sailgp.com/news/extensive-global-coverage-Sydney

Broadcast agreements span 90 countries across five continents, complemented by comprehensive and innovative multi-platform digital distribution.

SAN FRANCISCO - February 11, 2019 – SailGP today announced comprehensive multi-platform coverage spanning linear and digital channels, offering fans unprecedented access to the new global sports championship setting out to redefine sailing.

I know, I know!  Contrasting opinions here on whether we should waste any ink, even digital ink on Coutt's pet project. 

Fact is, it is happening, despite some heavy skepticism here. And it features revamped one-design AC-50s sailed by AC heavyweights.. Well at least some of them.

Coutts tells us  his vision, underwritten by Larry Ellison, has a life span of at least five years.

Here, the regatta is the unfocussed subject of debate across multiple threads. No surprise, this is Anarchy.

Meanwhile, this thread may serve to concentrate commentary on the upcoming Sydney event.

There are at least 3 other threads on this subject over SAAC, main SA and MHA. Not really sure why we need a 4th. But I'll follow the discussion wherever it goes.

So the co-founder, exec chairman, and CTO-for-life of Oracle funds a league and this is its first regatta.  An Oracle VP is on record in a presser saying how fab it is, presser references an app.

87 hours before event, no sign of app that any consumer can find.  

Rolex is announced as a presenting partner. Maybe the app is on a watch? 

Tick tock.

• Like 1

The announcement of Rolex is quite ironic: back in the days when Bernie Ecclestone ran F1 and Rolex was one of their sponsors, he said he wasn't at all interested in promoting the sport on the internet or through social media because 'that audience would not be in the market for Rolexes anyway'

It says that it will be live in the US on Facebook.  Can you just use a VPN to say you are from the US.

15 minutes ago, Herfy said:

It says that it will be live in the US on Facebook.  Can you just use a VPN to say you are from the US.

Why the fuck would anyone bother? Jumping through hoops to watch an event that the organisers can’t be fucked to show to an international audience. 

• Like 6

3 separate SailGP threads before 1 race has even been sailed! How many threads will there be by this time next year? Time to move sailGP somewhere else.

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Geronimo said:

The app is up on apple

I’ll wait for feedback before loading that one. 

26 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

3 separate SailGP threads before 1 race has even been sailed! How many threads will there be by this time next year? Time to move sailGP somewhere else.

So just ignore it? You have kept these threads alive with some 3000 or your 4000 posts. 

14 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

So just ignore it? You have kept these threads alive with some 3000 or your 4000 posts. 

Sure. But all you hypocrite SailGP fans get your knickers in a twist everytime something is posted that isn't SailGP, so if you can ignore that...then thats fine. Otherwise shut the fuck up.

2 hours ago, Geronimo said:

The app is up on apple

I called a work friend who has an iPad.  She says there IS an app called SailGP.  She did not download it because of her office rules.

Odd no word from the regatta people but I take the silence as hope they are waiting to announce both Apple and Android apps.  If they don't do Android the karma gods will frown on them.

29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I called a work friend who has an iPad.  She says there IS an app called SailGP.  She did not download it because of her office rules.

Odd no word from the regatta people but I take the silence as hope they are waiting to announce both Apple and Android apps.  If they don't do Android the karma gods will frown on them.

It’s actually pretty decent. They even have a spoiler avoidance option when you open it, for those of us in the wrong time zone. 

For Kiwi based watchers out there - Sky TV have the rights to show this live however are not advertising in their schedules. In a call back just now they advised no decision has been made on whether to show the races Live, when or if - recommended keeping an eye on their TV guide... awesome

16 minutes ago, btime said:

For Kiwi based watchers out there - Sky TV have the rights to show this live however are not advertising in their schedules. In a call back just now they advised no decision has been made on whether to show the races Live, when or if - recommended keeping an eye on their TV guide... awesome

To be fair there isn't an NZ team - and who knows... it's hardly got the sailing establishment in NZ pushing for SKY to promote it...

It's easy to dismiss as whingeing, but really this is commentary on the planning and delivery of a new sport event... which has been sub-par... one would assume that Sydney can be seen as a merely a dress rehearsal for something (in SF?)

Whose going to win the Sydney event? Anyone have an opinion? Home town advantage for Slingsby or an International team?

55 minutes ago, btime said:

If they're not even sure they'll broadcast it then they can't have paid any money for the rights. Looks like we'll be forced to find illegal alternatives. Or just give up in disgust.

7 hours ago, Geronimo said:

The app is up on apple

Which doesn't work unless you have the latest iOS.

Thanks for nothing SailGP... 

17 hours ago, dogwatch said:

There are at least 3 other threads on this subject over SAAC, main SA and MHA. Not really sure why we need a 4th. But I'll follow the discussion wherever it goes.

Quite so!  And I'd much prefer to follow comments on the sailing competition and scene in Sydney on a single thread. Hence my small effort to focus and channel.  

Of course, this is Anarchy so anything goes. We may, but hopefully not, have six threads dealing with SailGP before long.  I'm agnostic about where SailGP ends up here, in or out of America's Cup Anarchy but unless management gets off it's duff and acts it's up to us to sort out our own solutions.

Good to know you'll be participating here. For the others who have felt  constrained to note the multiple thread problem in a non-America's Cup arena I suggest you direct your Sydney news and comments here in the hope that earlier threads die on the vine. 

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Whose going to win the Sydney event? Anyone have an opinion? Home town advantage for Slingsby or an International team?

Looking at the practice racing last Thursday the Aussies and Japanese looked good, then the Yanks, French and Poms with the Chinese a fair bit further back

^^

Ha ha, great thread management.

But as soon as I heard talk of broadcast rights and app,I knew the same crowd was ruining the show as did the last AC show.

Sad

• Like 1

12 hours ago, barfy said:

^^

Ha ha, great thread management.

But as soon as I heard talk of broadcast rights and app,I knew the same crowd was ruining the show as did the last AC show.

Sad

Agreed, in New Zealand yet again we lose the live internet option!

19 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Looking at the practice racing last Thursday the Aussies and Japanese looked good, then the Yanks, French and Poms with the Chinese a fair bit further back

for the 1st practice races the boats did start with decent gaps between them deliberately. 

2 hours ago, Gibbo_aus said:

for the 1st practice races the boats did start with decent gaps between them deliberately. 

I was basing it on how well controlled they looked and how much fly time they had

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

I was basing it on how well controlled they looked and how much fly time they had

Copy that - i agree - the Time in the boat certainly is a key factor at the moment.
Watching Slingsby put the Chinese boat under Bradleys head then, sailing past them was a great example of Sydney Harbour sailing

It will be interesting, the Harbour is a very small place when you are doing 40knots.

14 minutes ago, paps49 said:

It will be interesting, the Harbour is a very small place when you are doing 40knots.

Could be 50 Knots Paps but I haven't seen the forecast yet? Can't see why we couldn't have a one design AC using these boats? We could have 20 teams competing then and make it Nationality Strict whilst I'm having a rant.

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Could be 50 Knots Paps but I haven't seen the forecast yet? Can't see why we couldn't have a one design AC using these boats? We could have 20 teams competing then and make it Nationality Strict whilst I'm having a rant.

Yeah, I get that Terra, I'm not sure anymore, maybe it was better when we did it just for fun and no one else cared.

6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Not unless they can sail at 5 x true wind speed.

Have you checked out Fridays forecast.

Are we going to be watching Floaters or Foilers?

Out of interest, I understand they can foil fast as all get out but what actually is their VMG around a windward/leeward course in say 12 to 15 knots of breeze? Anyone?

AC boats have been averaging better than windspeed in VMG around a course for a long time, they didn't need foils to do it. Getting out of monos was enough. In 2010 during AC 33, USA-17 covered a 40nm windward/leeward course in 2:32:38, averaging 15.7kn VMG in winds of 5-10 knots (source: wikipedia).

Sydney forecast is here: https://www.seabreeze.com.au/weather/wind-forecast/sydney. I guess Fort Denison is the best station to use?

On 2/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, KiwiJoker said:

I know, I know!  Contrasting opinions here on whether we should waste any ink, even digital ink on Coutt's pet project. 

Fact is, it is happening, despite some heavy skepticism here. And it features revamped one-design AC-50s sailed by AC heavyweights.. Well at least some of them.

Coutts tells us  his vision, underwritten by Larry Ellison, has a life span of at least five years.

Here, the regatta is the unfocussed subject of debate across multiple threads. No surprise, this is Anarchy.

Meanwhile, this thread may serve to concentrate commentary on the upcoming Sydney event.

Unless you know to look for it, zero publicity for this event in NZ. Is it different anywhere else? 

^

In the UK there's been bits in the sailing mags. AFAIK none so far in the general media but it is safe to predict that there will be when the event comes to Cowes. 

Nothing in mainstream press, but nothing really for them to report back in the UK. It's not big enough to get in national news as a GB team (yet) and the team doesn't have any local sponsor links of infrastructure to get in local news like INEOS / BAR does. 

However, it's been all over instagram and facebook, which I guess is a large part due to that I tend to look at it and know a few people involved, however there is certainly a decent amount of paid promotion going on there. Looking at the likes and views they seem to be getting decent traction on those platforms. 

On the other hand their YouTube videos get hardly any views and I have to go out of my way to find them. I'm not getting any banners adds from them either. Looking at the views on their videos correlates with this. But then if they don't plan to live stream on YouTube why would they promote there. 

I've seen a fair bit in the sailing press too. 

Biggest issue is no android. I might have to renew my BT sport subscription, but I'm unlikely to watch the Sydney event live and am a little reticent to shell out on a sports league I've not seen any competition from.  

Some places are supposed to have live coverage on Facebook.  Not sure if I want to sign up to get Zucked for that. But were the YouTube videos also on Facebook?  Wonder if they will put the races on YouTubr after Sydney is done? Would increase exposure.

1 hour ago, Gibbo_aus said:

Should be great conditions on Friday and Saturday 10-15 knots and Sunny

1847576655_SydmeyForecast.PNG.1b37ae2d84f154c96c03fe64078b13c6.PNG

Friday around 10 Knots but yeah Saturday 10-15 Knots. Perfect really a little less wind for tomorrow's racing and then up to 15 knots Saturday should see things heat up. It's the Americas Cup you have when you don't have one. 

21 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

. It's the Americas Cup you have when you don't have one. 

I was with you up until about there.

16 hours ago, RobG said:

AC boats have been averaging better than windspeed in VMG around a course for a long time, they didn't need foils to do it. Getting out of monos was enough. In 2010 during AC 33, USA-17 covered a 40nm windward/leeward course in 2:32:38, averaging 15.7kn VMG in winds of 5-10 knots (source: wikipedia).

Sydney forecast is here: https://www.seabreeze.com.au/weather/wind-forecast/sydney. I guess Fort Denison is the best station to use?

Western Channel wedding cake, aka "Sydney Harbour", is probably more appropriate http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.95766.shtml

21 hours ago, BigDonger said:

Anyone know of anywhere you can have a punt on the results? I.e Sportsbet etc?

Sportsbet have a market. Aussies favourites at $2.50

Great free tour of the base today.  Wow they are spending big bucks, 40 containers at least and plans to expand to 10 boats.  Each boat costs about 3.7 mill on the water.  Biggest problem is finding places with enough space to house everything.

You get the impression he wants it to be Formula 1 on water, the only problem is everybody in the world drives cars so can relate to F1 but will the average punter relate the these machines ?

20190214_145455_resized.jpg

20190214_145620_resized.jpg

20190214_150617_resized.jpg

20190214_150920_resized.jpg

20190214_150929_resized.jpg

20190214_153741_resized.jpg

20190214_153751_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting, hadn't thought about the scale. I wonder where they plan to cram all this during Cowes Week?

20 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Interesting, hadn't thought about the scale. I wonder where they plan to cram all this during Cowes Week?

The area they have is about 50m by 150m, but 8km from the race area

OK, similar space to ACWS, which makes sense. That fitted onto what is now the Ineos base, which would be a similar distance away. Or there might be space in E  Cowes. Anyone remember where ESS used to be based when there was a Cowes event?

Apologies if reported on another thread. US has delayed overage on CBSSN I think that is CBS Sports Network.  The show is called Sailing in the cable guide but details are Sail GP part 1 and 2. Only an hour so it must just be races.

Sat Feb 16 10-11 am eastern

Sun Feb 17 10-11 am eastern

I saw that show before but then it was ESS in Cabo 

Look on your guide for CBSSN. Not sure if it premium. Were showing an interview with Sgt. Slaughter (retired WWE star) while I was setting up the DVR.

Well, RC actually got them to get it almost done. TV partners, half the apps.  Good for him.

Edited by NeedAClew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Apologies if reported on another thread. US has delayed overage on CBSSN I think that is CBS Sports Network.  The show is called Sailing in the cable guide but details are Sail GP part 1 and 2. Only an hour so it must just be races.

Sat Feb 16 10-11 am eastern

Sun Feb 17 10-11 am eastern

I saw that show before but then it was ESS in Cabo 

Look on your guide for CBSSN. Not sure if it premium. Were showing an interview with Sgt. Slaughter (retired WWE star) while I was setting up the DVR.

Well, RC actually got them to get it almost done. TV partners, half the apps.  Good for him.

Thanks for the head’s up!  DVR is set. 

No dry laps yet, even from Nathan...  I don't think the AC50s would on Sydney Harbour, but I did hold out some hope (and still do) that it might be possible. 

I hope the learning will be pretty quick because they have a lot of data open to them. I also think the atmosphere amongst teams will be quite collaborative. They will all want to put on a good race for the fans... the big issue is they have quite a few events in the year, and the boats will be in transport for a lot of the time. 

Of the venues the only ones I know are Solent and San Fran and would be very disappointed if they weren't doing dry laps by then. I do think dry laps are important as the big issue I had with the Extreme Sailing Series and Nacra sailing is that the speed differences once one boat drops of the foils instantly decides a race. It felt like we had started to get away from that in Bermuda. 

not to be a thread nazi or something, but shouldn't this be on multihull anarchy? just asking...

Emirates Team New Zealand plans to premiere a video.
15 hrs · 

Gather around for the untold story of the birth of foiling in the America’s Cup and Grand Prix sailing.

As quiet as it seems from all the America’s Cup teams, you can rest assured there are plenty of innovative ideas being tested within design offices around the world. Ideas that could be the next quantum leap forward in technology on or off the water.

This is the story of one such idea, when at this stage of the campaign prior to the 2013 America’s Cup, we were just doing a little thing, like inventing foiling in Grand Prix sailing. #Sailing #Foiling #AmericasCup

52700680_406875693431880_536817126124552

So just to try and clear it up for an old man, will the races be shown live on the App in the US?  Or, is it just coverage, notes, updates and bullshit?

57 minutes ago, Trovão said:

not to be a thread nazi or something, but shouldn't this be on multihull anarchy? just asking...

Yes, it should be in Foiling Anarchy

9 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

The area they have is about 50m by 150m, but 8km from the race area

Isn't that kind of short for those big cats?

and Why don't thy use the Super Foiler? Nice and small and more affordable. I loved watching the last season. I put it on the Tele at the last Friday dinner at the YC and people came up and thanked me for putting something new on.

Why TF do they always have to have another new class?

4 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

and Why don't thy use the Super Foiler? Nice and small and more affordable. I loved watching the last season. I put it on the Tele at the last Friday dinner at the YC and people came up and thanked me for putting something new on.

Even better...

7 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

3 minutes ago, Trovão said:

Even better...

Even better they are on a short course?

Why have a high speed boat and put it on a down speed course? I want to see high speed racing side by side, not barriers forcing tacking and gybing. If they are using Sydney harbor, let them use it like the 18 footers do.

10 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Why have a high speed boat and put it on a down speed course? I want to see high speed racing side by side, not barriers forcing tacking and gybing. If they are using Sydney harbor, let them use it like the 18 footers do.

No, I highlighted the "Foil Anarchy" part - this is what is "even better"...

Such a short course is stupid, imho.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Ummm.... that 50 meter X 150 meter comment was referring to the boatyard. They generally don’t go that fast on their dollies, so should have plenty of room to maneuver. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lono said:

So just to try and clear it up for an old man, will the races be shown live on the App in the US?  Or, is it just coverage, notes, updates and bullshit?

Yes they will, along with data and stats, or so they say.

Facebook live in US also.  I have no clue whether the live images and commentators are same for TV, FB, app.  

I will be spending the afternoon (and tomorrow) on the harbour with some NT based friends who have made the effort to come down and watch.

Surprising (to me) amount of SailGP interest within the yachties in the office.

Looks like they have timed the weather perfectly for the first round, nice steady easterlies, sunshine, high 20s temp.

Looking forward to catching up with some old cat sailing mates, a beer and the first starting gun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trovão said:

Well there’s lots of threads here about old AC boats what are they doing now? type crap so just think of it as one of them and don’t read. There are also quite a few people who thought the AC50’s were awesome... I’m yet to be convinced that the current AC is on the right track. So we’ll stay here thanks. 

49 minutes ago, Wandering Geo said:

I will be spending the afternoon (and tomorrow) on the harbour with some NT based friends who have made the effort to come down and watch.

Surprising (to me) amount of SailGP interest within the yachties in the office.

Looks like they have timed the weather perfectly for the first round, nice steady easterlies, sunshine, high 20s temp.

Looking forward to catching up with some old cat sailing mates, a beer and the first starting gun.

According the official Instagram account the Shark Island tickets are sold out for Today and yesterday, the Fan Pass cruiser is sold out too. The only official offering left s the Club pass at $259 today and $299 Sunday.

Interest is certainly there. Will be interesting to see how much makes it to the FTA news locally
I'll be on the water this afternoon - I'll post some pics if anyone is keen

2 hours ago, kiwi_bob said:

Well there’s lots of threads here about old AC boats what are they doing now? type crap so just think of it as one of them and don’t read. There are also quite a few people who thought the AC50’s were awesome... I’m yet to be convinced that the current AC is on the right track. So we’ll stay here thanks. 

old AC boats have something to do with the AC. These boats have been digitized and re-imagined. 

I've said for last half year there should be an entire anarchy top level thread, where teams can have their own threads, venues, ect. 

All that shit don't belong here.

Yesterday's practice racing was a bit snakes and ladders, who ever got a small gust and jumped onto the foils gained heaps. Not much upwind foiling and some boats seemed to struggle downwind more than others. There was even huge speed differences when low riding.

Forecast for today is similar, less than 10kts but a bit more NE. Tomorrow might be a bit more. Hope they can put on a show but do not expect too much in the light stuff.

Glad I had a look on Wednesday, saw a few of them at full tilt in abut 15kts. Believe Nathan did 36kts in the final pass at Bradley's Hd going home, looked very impressive.

• Like 1

Sooo there is supposed to be video on their facebook but no fucking sign of a link to their facebook.

Thats media greatness there.

22 minutes ago, hoom said:

Sooo there is supposed to be video on their facebook but no fucking sign of a link to their facebook.

Thats media greatness there.

Isn't there 3 hours to go until the first race..??

SKY NZ showed a preview at midday today, interviews, practice race footage & general hype however it's clearly thoroughly produced & bodes well for race 1 

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Isn't there 3 hours to go until the first race..??

Their website has no link to their facebook account.

'hey go to our facebook to watch the races but we're not gonna give you a link to it'

Will be on the water. shooting some 4K vid and stills will upload later. Looks like about 12-14 out there. Stunner of a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil S said:

Facebook coverage 24 hr delay:

https://sailgp.com/watch/

ya,but, but i am in canada, and same for north america, i should see this live on FB according to this blurb.

Other Regions
SailGP APP: Live multi-view video and data
Facebook: Live host broadcast

or

United States
CBSSN: Delayed broadcast
Feb. 16 @ 10:00 – 11:00 AM ET
Feb. 17 @ 10:00 – 11:00 AM ET
SailGP APP: Live multi-view video and data
Facebook: Live host broadcast

am I missing something about a live host broadcast? maybe translates as nothing?