George Dewey

Looking for emergency Nav lights

I have been googling around for emergency / backup navigation lights. Ideally, they easily fasten to a 1 inch rail, are battery powered, LED,  3nm and USCG approved. So far no luck, just finding lots of lights made for dinghys and such. Has anyone seen anything like that?

These products were introduced about two years ago and seem to be the best solution in that space. Several different configurations and mounting brackets.

Ha, beaten to the punch.

The navisafe lights are an excellent product.  Way better than some cheap plastic Chinese knock-off flashlight with a coloured lens.

They have great mounts and should last a long time, but aren't inexpensive.

Also, make sure your triple AAAs are full charge as the tricolour only shows Green on poor batteries instead of Red and Green.  Otherwise, highly recommended.

The navisafe light that I own says not to use rechargable batteries.  That was majorly disappointing since I hate using disposable anything, including batteries.  The battery life isn't that long (one set of batteries gets you through one or maybe two nights when it's an anchor light).

alex

1 hour ago, Alex W said:

The navisafe light that I own says not to use rechargable batteries.  That was majorly disappointing since I hate using disposable anything, including batteries.  The battery life isn't that long (one set of batteries gets you through one or maybe two nights when it's an anchor light).

alex

It's probably because rechargeable cells have a lower voltage.

1 hour ago, Ultraman said:

The navisafe lights are an excellent product.  Way better than some cheap plastic Chinese knock-off flashlight with a coloured lens.

They have great mounts and should last a long time, but aren't inexpensive.

Also, make sure your triple AAAs are full charge as the tricolour only shows Green on poor batteries instead of Red and Green.  Otherwise, highly recommended.

They actually look like an excellent product but I'm glad to have your review. And yes, they are not inexpensive, but in the grand scheme for equipping the boat for an ocean race, the $120 or so I'll spend on these is almost de minimis.  Ideally they will never be used, but if they are needed, it means we're in a pickle and I'll want something easily mounted that I can trust to work.

I’ve used these for a year now on my girlfriend’s powerboat. Cheap and reliable. Bright Eyes Green, Red, White... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BAB7KR8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I keep meaning to fix the running lights, but something always seems to pop up, so we ran these for a whole summer. As a plus, their design mounts to pulpits with ease. 

5 hours ago, George Dewey said:

It's probably because rechargeable cells have a lower voltage.

It is, but that is trivial to design around and almost all other LED lights using AAA batteries do so by using a regulator that can handle a wide voltage range efficiently. 

For a couple of more cents they could have made this a much better part. 

7 minutes ago, Alex W said:

It is, but that is trivial to design around and almost all other LED lights using AAA batteries do so by using a regulator that can handle a wide voltage range efficiently. 

For a couple of more cents they could have made this a much better part. 

Yes, you're right. Possibly at the cost of slightly reduced battery life but if I were designing it, I would probably take that route. 

On 2/13/2019 at 6:50 PM, Monkey said:

I’ve used these for a year now on my girlfriend’s powerboat. Cheap and reliable. Bright Eyes Green, Red, White... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BAB7KR8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I keep meaning to fix the running lights, but something always seems to pop up, so we ran these for a whole summer. As a plus, their design mounts to pulpits with ease. 

I am 99.99% sure they have absolutely NO adherence to ANY standards.  Hence - they may put out some colored light but they are NOT approved for any kind of use (other than giving the stabbin cabin some colored lighting)

28 minutes ago, Christian said:

I am 99.99% sure they have absolutely NO adherence to ANY standards.  Hence - they may put out some colored light but they are NOT approved for any kind of use (other than giving the stabbin cabin some colored lighting)

Yeah I looked at them, and decided to pass for that reason. I appreciate the response though.

I went with the Navisafe lights for my dinghy/dive boat.  So, instant backup, assuming the big bag o batteries survives whatever happened to the primaries.  You can order them with Railbaza mounts, which is the same as a winch handle. So all of your winches and windlass are already installed places to mount them.  (And anything else, if you drink the Railblaza Kool-Aid). 

Defender is having a sale, and they stock these. I just ordered a tricolor and a white with magnetic mounts, and two rail mag mounts, for about $160 all in. They will probably never be used but if they are they will work. I looked at the ISAF OSR and I think some of the much cheaper stuff mentioned would meet the requirements, but these definitely will. I didn't know Railblaza matches winch handle. I guess I could have gotten one of these for a stern light that I could stick in a cockpit winch, but then the winch would not be terribly useful. 

On an unrelated topic, I was quite annoyed to see Defender is now collecting sales tax. 

I use the Navisafe light on magnetic mounts on my dingy motor. It has helped me be seen at night at least once so I'm sold. Had a powerboat bearing down on me when I crossed the channel and he dodged me just as I was about to do a massive turn to avoid. He waved and said "sorry, nice light..." so there's that. Backup for my running lights but it does eat thru batteries pretty quickly. Not too bad tho. Fresh ones at the beginning of the year and maybe a swap mid season and I use it alot, like every night I'm on the dingy and have to go a distance.

Damn straight on Defender, just got a pretty large order and was not happy about the sales tax. I didn't think they had to collect if they didn't have a facility in your state but that doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

16 hours ago, Christian said:

I’m sure you’re right that they have no adherence to any standards, but they’re substantially brighter than any non-led running light I’ve ever seen on the average sailboat. The Coast Guard didn’t even mention them when we were boarded for a safety inspection one night. 

Edit:  With price out of the equation, I’d obviously rather have the NaviSafe option. 

Since Defender is now charging sales tax, and I didn't want to pay tax and shipping, and I had to make a trip to Mystic anyhow, I picked these and some other things up today. 

These are nice lights. Not quite as nice as I expected, they are entirely plastic. I guess they would have to be to float. I tried out the tricolor, its bright and works as documented. I bought the magnetic ones, which have magnets that stick to a base. The base is designed to be screwed down to a flat surface. It's a fairly strong connection. But I needed rail mount, so I got that mount and the light is not nearly as solid on that mount. Still, it's probably tight enough. It did include a lanyard so if it gets knocked off at least it won't be lost.

A woman at Defender told me they had to start collecting sales tax. While I doubt she is a tax law expert, I have no reason to doubt her. She told me it was a major pain in the ass for them. They had to make substantial changes to their systems and procedures. I'm sure Defended didn't do all that to give up a competitive advantage because they wanted to. Oh well, it was great while it lasted. I expect it will hurt them substantially, since they have to now charge tax and shipping. 

There was a recent Supreme Court decision that states are now allowed to collect sales tax on interstate purchases. Not all states collect quite yet.

There was a Supreme Court decision about a year ago on the sales tax. It took effect last month. My wine-addled brain is fogging on the details, but there were some real Machiavellian manouverings going on.  E.g. Amazon was pushing it (maybe) because only they have the software to comply with 50 states and 100,000 municipal tax codes.  Mom & Pop garage businesses would need to spend 10,000% of their available work hours to comply. If you own an on-line business, you get bombarded by apocalyptic warnings (from companies that sell sales tax collection software) that you will be prosecuted if you don’t buy their services!

Hypothetically, software could make it a non-issue.  Unless 50,000 towns require Mom & Pop to file a paper tax document.  So if anybody really enforces it, only Amazon will be left.  The Supremes didn’t quite get around to prescribing any rules that make their ruling practical.  

Fortunately, what I sell on line are services.  Which physically take place in my non-sales-tax state.  So I stick my head in the sand and do nothing. And think maybe it’s time to retire and sail away...