JBOATTROUBLEMAKER

Jy15 Prpf racing

Hello, wonderful members of this forum, I have a 1995 JY15 that has been genorously outfitted for racing, which leads me to my question. How competitive would it be against Cal 22s, Catalina 25s , C and C 25s, j22s, j24s, and (although they are much faster and unreasonable to beat in a Jy) Olson 30s. Also, what is a JY15’s Max speed, I sail in the Hudson River, so gusts over 25 are rare and speed runs have not been a possibility for me. 

Thanks,

Nich

Anything is possible and I think you would do well against some of the boats listed. Your main issue will be ratings. JY15 will have a portsmith rating and the other boats will have a PHRF rating. They are not really interchangeable. Determining how to score you against the other boats would be interesting. Participation in the events might be a deciding factor. Sometimes the need for boats on the water is the most important drive. Or maybe they will let you race but not score you. Good luck

I believe the JY has a prpf rating in the 190s but am not sure, my question is whether or not the boat is fast enough to even keep up.

thanks,

Nich

So, most of the boats you list have a portsmouth yardstick DPN around 81, the JY15 is 91.9. One way to look at it is if you raced a course that took you 91.9 minutes, the other boats would finish in about 81 minutes. The C&C 25 would be competitive at 91.5 minutes, and the Olsen would be done in 74.5 minutes. That is if they all raced to their portsmouth yardstick numbers.  

• Like 1

The 505 is faster than the J24 in a range of conditions. I've sailed the same course with the J24. We have a portsmouth of around 79. So what eyeshotpar says is pretty much it. If you want to play with numbers you could convert the PHRF of other boats to Portsmouth based on the J24 or do vice versa for the JY15.

Speaking of JY15, anybody need a rudder, tiller/extension, centerboard, main or jib?  I've got all of them and don't need them around.  All are in good condition.