DryArmour

2019 Islands Race-Looking Sporty

The tenth anniversary of the Islands Race starts this Friday in what look like some sporty conditions. The predicted wind ranges vary a fair bit but with three more days before the start, things should fall into place by Thursday as far as anticipated conditions.

Thursday night into early Friday is looking damp. The front following westerly may hold off until mid to late Friday afternoon.  The good news is that at least for now it looks like wind the whole way around the track.

More later as the tea leaves arrange.

slide18a.png

Thanks Dry. What's the intel for the coastal conditions at SCYA Midwinters this weekend at Long Beach? Windy says significant puffs Friday and Sat.

30 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

Thanks Dry. What's the intel for the coastal conditions at SCYA Midwinters this weekend at Long Beach? Windy says significant puffs Friday and Sat.

Once we come into the NAM model range I'll feel more comfortable interpreting the data. (Tomorrow)

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Inshore course for the Islands race.

The theory of Sailativity.

5 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Have to agree with Hitch, with the start of a long season I really don't want to go blow shit up.

16 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Did they already make that decision?  I didn't see anything on the event site.

Rumor is Navy is talking about a huge exclusion zone around San Clemente that would extend the race distance another ~30 miles.  We may only be going around Catalina.

3 minutes ago, bowdude1 said:

Rumor is Navy is talking about a huge exclusion zone around San Clemente that would extend the race distance another ~30 miles.  We may only be going around Catalina.

That makes sense to me. There will still be room for downhill strategy.

37 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

Did they already make that decision?  I didn't see anything on the event site.

Rumors and lies and stories they made up.

New GFS has just come out.  Hope it is wrong but the NAM seems to concur that the first four hours or so could suck...More later as the tea leaves arrange.

For today's "STORM", it briefly sprinkled here in the OC. Much ado about nothing...for now anyway.

Interesting that the SI's still have not been posted.

7.3. The (RC) will issue the sailing instructions (SI) approximately one week prior to the start date. Questions regarding the NOR or SI must be submitted in writing to sailing@sdyc.org no later than 2/12/19, 1700h.

As I noted in the thread on Ocean Racing Anarchy, it's going to be chilly, that said, it's not going to be nearly as cold as forecast yesterday and the day before. Still, mid to high 50's is chilly for Socal!

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 2.48.41 PM.png

As to the Navy, they extended their 'no-go' zones out from 1/2nm to about 2.5nm, but they had identified a military  operations area that went out about 20 nm  to almost Tanner Buoy (could be anything but doubt they wouldn't close it off if it was anything risky) - we could easily live with the current 'no go' zones.

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Interesting that the SI's still have not been posted.

7.3. The (RC) will issue the sailing instructions (SI) approximately one week prior to the start date. Questions regarding the NOR or SI must be submitted in writing to sailing@sdyc.org no later than 2/12/19, 1700h.

As I noted in the thread on Ocean Racing Anarchy, it's going to be chilly, that said, it's not going to be nearly as cold as forecast yesterday and the day before. Still, mid to high 50's is chilly for Socal!

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 2.48.41 PM.png

where's the 'sporty' bit in that forecast?

15 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

where's the 'sporty' bit in that forecast?

In SoCal if it gets much above 25 the RC considers cancelling the race or modifying the course.  Many of the teams here simply don't get a lot of opportunity to sail in over 30. For TransPac teams, I would think that finding blustery (20-30 G37) conditions to practice in would be critical so that when (not if) you run into squalls mid ocean in July you are best prepared to deal with them.

Just ran the routing with the latest update. Modest start, gets breezier, goes west, increase to fun to very fun conditions. Except for being a bit damp, this looks like a good one.  For clarity I ran them around the West end of Catalina and straight into Loma. Updates when I have them.

A Small Craft Advisory will be in effect this afternoon covering the inner waters and all of the race track for today's tenth anniversary Islands Race. The US Military has apprised race officials that the corridor between Camp Pendleton (Roughly Oceanside) and San Clemente Island is likely to be "very busy" with all types of Military craft. Make sure your AIS is on and Radar reflectors should be properly rigged. For those of you with cameras aboard, this added activity could make for some interesting footage. Please share.

Good luck to everyone in the race and many thanks to those of you who bought teams gear for the event.  CABO is right around the corner, get your team kitted out too. We now have racing shorts, foul weather gear, hats and mid-layers in addition to our tech shirts. Drop us a note for more information.

Mark any comments for this weekends Midwinters?  It’s definitely looking sporty for both days according to Windy. 

SA used to have tons of feed back by now on SoCal’s only real winter offshore.  Looked like a nice sail. Maybe everyone’s still alsleep. 

Really sucky first leg. The wind started out at 215 TWD and kind of waivered back and forth to 235. And, stayed left going to 225 as we finally gave up on a 240+ number to go across. I think we were off Hermosa Beach when we finally went. Talk about being on the outside of the wheel. Nice moderate reach half way down Catalina. Then it was VMG running in 15 to 20 knots all the way in to San Diego. 

Had a really fun stint at the wheel from 11:00 to 12:30 .We didn't place very well. But, we definitely shook the cobwebs out.

1 hour ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

think we were off Hermosa Beach when we finally went.

Isn't that N of the PV penn? How is that even possible? I mean, what island were you planning on going around?? (haha) 

Maybe you meant Huntington Beach?

Would of could of. We just kept getting lifted on port. Should have gone much earlier.  If you look at the tracks everyone that went early were headed at Avalon. The best results were by boats that tacked up the center. Traditionally you don't tack mid channel. All the south wind had minimized the current . So, there wasn't the penalty you'd normally pay. And since the right shift came in much later there was no penalty header at the island.

3 hours ago, Nick G said:

SA used to have tons of feed back by now on SoCal’s only real winter offshore.  Looked like a nice sail. Maybe everyone’s still alsleep. 

Come join PSSA for a nice, real, winter offshore race......MDR to Bishop Rock and return next week.  The hitch is that there are only singlehanded/double-handed classes

http://www.pssala.com/upcoming-race-2/