On 10/19/2020 at 4:53 PM, Windward said:

Having spent many years living among Cantonese, this is damn funny. Especially being so upset he needs to take his foot off the chair.

• Like 1

Browser security filter has been set on 'moderate,' and all Trump-related YouTube podcasts are now blocked. Were that also an option for Twitter and Facebook (sigh). Oh, and the Dodgers won 8–3 in Game 1. Just finished making rainbow trout croquettes for brunch tomorrow; Himself went fishing today. Just saying.

Some nice Rainbow trout Himself caught today.jpg

Ok, uncle rodger is fucking hilarious...and I would eat aunty Hersha's fried rice all day long without comment!  Haiya! Freeyo!

Spatchcocked chicken supper done Mediterranean-style in a cast iron skillet tonight. In a few minutes they'll be tearing the poor avian apart like animals that the are. I'll be going on deck for fresh air right soon.

Spatchcocked chicken done Mediterranean-style in a cast iron skillet.jpg

• Like 3

I've been experimenting with my new 10inch aluminum dutch oven, working up meals for river trips. Cooking on coals here at home just like we would on a trip.

Did the huckleberry cobbler awhile ago.

Just took lasagne off the coals. It's resting now but certain it will suffice.

20201101_173738.jpg

Was out fishing with the nephew and son and we caught a bunch of bluefish. They have not had bluefish before and were very interested in cooking them up for dinner. I had heard that smoked bluefish was more edible then other preparations so we thought we give it a try. Brined the fillets overnight and then 2.5 hours on hickory smoke last evening. Was definitely better than simply grilled but still not a fan . . . neither were the boys.

26 minutes ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Was definitely better than simply grilled but still not a fan . . . neither were the boys.

Fishe Tacos?

10 hours ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Was out fishing with the nephew and son and we caught a bunch of bluefish. They have not had bluefish before and were very interested in cooking them up for dinner. I had heard that smoked bluefish was more edible then other preparations so we thought we give it a try. Brined the fillets overnight and then 2.5 hours on hickory smoke last evening. Was definitely better than simply grilled but still not a fan . . . neither were the boys.

Nice and oily...bluefish is right up there with King Mackerel for Thai fishcakes in our house...

54 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

Nice and oily...bluefish is right up there with King Mackerel for Thai fishcakes in our house...

Oily and strong flavor. Not the fish to eat if you don’t “like” fish.”  My dad and uncles used to stuff the body cavity with crabmeat and then  bake it topped with sliced onions and tomato sauce.  Pretty decent as I remember it from decades ago.

Fresh local cooked tiger prawns, avocado, cucumber, cherry tomato, perfect lettuce, with the mayo/tomato sauce/lemon/dijon mustard/chives sauce on top.

With ice-cold beer and cookies 'n cream ice cream to follow. It's been damn hot here.

leftoveres porke chops, brusselle sprouttes, and quinwoa;

diced porke choppes, sautede in avacado oil, peppere, garlic,  & gingere.  Ounce sizzleng add veg. & quinwoa.  Add a tblspn olligo syrrup and warme thorouhley.

Beste leftoveres evere!                        :)

I usually do pretty well translating, but need some help with olligo syrrup

The bride is from southern New Mexico, so tonight is 2-3 layer flat green chile chicken enchiladas with a sunny side egg on top. I think I'll warm up with a dark and stormy here in a few. 

• Like 2

Reubens using a venison pastrami...cured and cold smoked a couple months back...pulled from freezer and grilled then steamed...add home fermented kraut, Swiss, and Russian dressing...the rest of it has a date with Madame Guillotine for sandwiches this week...

20201026_194927.jpg

20201026_200039.jpg

• Like 4

Oyster stuffing!!!!

Many moons ago we attended a Thanksgiving dinner put on by friends from New Orleans while living in the SoCal mountains. Several Orleaneans had made the sojourn to attend and they brought  a bunch of oysters with them. That was my first exposure to oyster stuffing and, to be honest, it was kinda rough. Not accustomed to chewing on shell grit in wet mush, the experience was less than stellar, although the flavor was sublime.

Today, wifey put aside a few cupfulls of her delicious home made turkey dressing and asked me to shuck a few of my homegrown oysters to add in per a recipe she found somewhere. She shredded the oysters in a blender and mixed the salty, meaty liquor in with the stuffing and  baked it alongside the stuffed turkey.

The verdict? OMFG!!! The oyster stuffing wins by a landslide. It's not just the saline slime, but a kiss of some low tide essence that you only find close to the ocean. Even a slug like me could easily identify the improvement.

Next year the whole turkey will be stuffed with oyster stuffing.

Oh yeah, here is a nod and yet again thanks to forumite On The Hard for the best gumbo recipe ever, which we will be savoring this weekend. I'm thinking turkey oyster gumbo this time though.

Hope you all had a great, satisfying, grateful day for all of our shared blessings!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Willin' said:

My grandmother frequently mentioned having oyster stuffing growing up. She faulted her younger sister for only living to be 96 because she didn’t eat oysters. I think the local oysters are just about at their best this time of year.

having grown up on the gulf coast and moving to the atlantic coast, gathering my own oysters, i am of the opinion that oysters in stuffing/dressing is a waste of oysters.  eat the oysters raw and eat the dressing when the oysters are all gone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tybee said:

having grown up on the gulf coast and moving to the atlantic coast, gathering my own oysters, i am of the opinion that oysters in stuffing/dressing is a waste of oysters.  eat the oysters raw and eat the dressing when the oysters are all gone.

I'd agree with you if you have to choose between the two. With oysters in abundance why not spread them around?

On 10/21/2020 at 12:51 AM, Gissie said:

Having spent many years living among Cantonese, this is damn funny. Especially being so upset he needs to take his foot off the chair.

love uncle rodger

It's a texas thing I guess...     now serving

fried pork rinds and queso

127634638_1678555448989889_2119660416693701858_o.jpg

On 10/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

Horse conch curry with rice

Steam beef soup meat with cassava

Peas and fatback with rice

Everything begin with a good trinity.

now go thou and Google

Fish and Fungi! 

The Essential Meal of the Virgin Islands | Saveur

Fish and Fungi" Sleeveless Top by corinnebasabe | Redbubble

• Like 1

I tried Kamala's cornbread dressing recipe yesterday with my 4 lb Turkey Breast. I smoked the turkey for about 3 hours with the local scrub Naval Live Oak which happens to be in abundance here since Hurricane Sally. The dressing recipe called for apples which I didn't have but my GF had bought a couple of pomegranates for the cornucopia on the table and although I had never eater a pomegranate for some reason I thought it would be a good substitute for the apples. Took a bit to figure out how to get the berries out of the fruit without making a purple mess all over the kitchen (don't wear a white shirt when doing this!) but they went into the stuffing even though not 100% ripe. The result was amazing as the berries were slightly crunchy (made me think of Grape Nuts) and added a nice taste and balance to the dressing. Turkey turned out great too!   

image.png.d3e83f689deab0f9bbe2f4436fb972b9.png

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

love uncle rodger

It's a texas thing I guess...     now serving

fried pork rinds and queso

127634638_1678555448989889_2119660416693701858_o.jpg

Used to buy bags of those things when I lived in Thailand. No queso though...

Yeah the seeds had a great crunch and softened up just a bit with the baking. Probably a bit shy of ripe but it all worked out.

Here is a great index of VI recipes:

http://www.dohm.com/FanF/index.html

Another experiment yesterday in the kitchen was adding fried plantains to my sweet potato casserole. This is a good starter recipe for the plantains but I add a good dollop of Cruzan (or other Rum) at the end!

• Like 1

Madame prefers her cookin’ banana boiled, mash up with either Tajín or lime juice and yogurt dressing, if we gat cilantro on board that goes in too.

Only way platana gets fried if she wants to make tostones but ever since she did the mashup it’s just easier than making tostones

Digging around in the deep freeze I found some quality cuts of wapiti from '19. Need to make room for a potential cousin/sister/aunt/daughter of hers.

Started marinating yesterday, going on the smoker soon. Gourmet jerky to put in the pack while hunting this year.

• Like 1

Hey @Rasputin22

Madame just got a small aluminium karahi/kadai and to try it out, she fried up some parboiled plantain. She likes besan (chick pea flour) for fry batter. You can get besan at any Indian (Desi) market. No egg, milk or other binding needed; besan, seasoning and a little water

03DAF0EF-0B81-431A-A236-A89E8DF5FC84.jpeg

Well with last Thursday being Thanksgiving, we had our obligatory Greenburg Turkey. Magnificent as always. (Their storage facility burned down right before Thanksgiving and destroyed most of the year's sales. Sad for a nice, family owned company) 

So anyway, yesterday I pulled off most of the meat and cooked the carcass for 3 hours to make turkey stock. Getting some venison sausage delivered tomorrow so I can make Turket and Sausage Gumbo. Willin' will tell you, it's damn good!

On 11/26/2020 at 8:19 PM, Willin' said:

Oyster stuffing!!!!

Many moons ago we attended a Thanksgiving dinner put on by friends from New Orleans while living in the SoCal mountains. Several Orleaneans had made the sojourn to attend and they brought  a bunch of oysters with them. That was my first exposure to oyster stuffing and, to be honest, it was kinda rough. Not accustomed to chewing on shell grit in wet mush, the experience was less than stellar, although the flavor was sublime.

Today, wifey put aside a few cupfulls of her delicious home made turkey dressing and asked me to shuck a few of my homegrown oysters to add in per a recipe she found somewhere. She shredded the oysters in a blender and mixed the salty, meaty liquor in with the stuffing and  baked it alongside the stuffed turkey.

The verdict? OMFG!!! The oyster stuffing wins by a landslide. It's not just the saline slime, but a kiss of some low tide essence that you only find close to the ocean. Even a slug like me could easily identify the improvement.

Oh yeah, here is a nod and yet again thanks to forumite On The Hard for the best gumbo recipe ever, which we will be savoring this weekend. I'm thinking turkey oyster gumbo this time though.

Hope you all had a great, satisfying, grateful day for all of our shared blessings!

Willin', I was thinking about you!  I made my smoked turkey stock a couple days ago, ordered smoked venison sausage from Broken Arrow and took a couple pounds of meat off the rest of my Greenburg Turkey. Tomorrow is gumbo day!  Lemme know if you do the oysters in it and what you think of the result. I've always thought this was great on its own, but I guess there's always room for improvement. 

some agging brusselle sproutes steamed then mixxed into a creame o'mushroome soupe and cheddar cheese sauce, a verrey nice side.............                      :)

13 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

some agging brusselle sproutes steamed then mixxed into a creame o'mushroome soupe and cheddar cheese sauce, a verrey nice side.............                      :)

sauteed / carmelized in butter with onions...     

you should have seen the stalk my wife got at TG..  it was about 2 feet long..

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

sauteed / carmelized in butter with onions...     

you should have seen the stalk my wife got at TG..  it was about 2 feet long..

Sondes goode!  The stalkes our allwayes fun, butte notte allwayes cheapere....      :)

Breakefast Pizza foire dinnere...........   ratted a majoire successe.......................                          :)

New experiments with food, about to begin.  I just paid for a chamber vacuum machine.  Not cheap in this country  - I could have bought a Chinese version for a fraction of the price, but I went Italian.  We'll get our smoked meats on the menu, rather than just specials on smokin' days

Last night's experiment - still enjoying the proceeds today!  Cinnamon buns a la UBC. 

Image may contain: dessert and food

My after Thanksgiving tradition is Turkey and Sausage Gumbo

This year I had some leftover turkey stock and leftover smoked turkey. Last night I made Turkey Tetrazzini 

made a roux to thicken the stock, sauteed onion, bell peppers and carrots. Put in a casserole with egg noodles and a little cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.

forgot to take a picture, but it was killer!

No description available.

First test of the new vacuum bagger.  US$4k jobbie from Italy.  Firing up the smoker today and will bag some ribs and duck breast - Memphis rub, three different sauces - Thai spicy, Sweet (apple-based), and Sweet & Spicy.  Free tasting session for some mates on Wed - to confirm the re-heat process, then we go start bagging and freezin'

• Like 1

Thanks giving dinner was fresh from lake Michigan Coho along with fresh Michigan Whitetail tenders for a 1 of a kind surf and turf. 

Wife loved the fish grilled with lemon and dill and I am allowed to do it again as soon as I can get another fish.

lemon_dill_coho.jpg

• Like 2

I did two dozen of these for a friend's family party with lots of kids.  They loved them.

Really easy, whip heavy cream with some fine sugar and a hint of vanilla, cut the tops and bottoms off the strawbs and the construction is obvious. 

Best way of administering the cream is to stuff it in a one pint ziploc, get the air out and seal it, and snip off a small corner to make a push bag.  Chocolate sprinkles for the eyes. 

EDIT: To transport safely to venue, use an egg carton or two, and a pair of sharp skewers or toothpicks to remove Santas from the fridge and egg carton to a plate at the other end.

image.png

Lunch - menu testing for takeaway smoked duck breast.  Smoked low and slow with longan (lychee) timber on Sunday, vacuum packed.  Revived in the grill.  Bloody fantastic.  You can keep your turkeys, I'm sticking with the duck

duck1.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeHunt said:

longan (lychee)

Cambodian Mangos and Longans Likely to Gain Access to China | Produce Report

Longan

Large volumes of Guangdong lychee will enter the market this month putting  pressure on price"

Lychee

Dimocarpus longan, commonly known as the longan (/ˈlɒŋɡən/), is a tropical tree species that produces edible fruit. It is one of the better-known tropical members of the soapberry family Sapindaceae, to which the lychee and rambutan also belong. The fruit of the longan is similar to that of the lychee, but less aromatic in taste.[3] It is native to tropical Asia and China.[4]

On 12/12/2020 at 6:00 PM, MikeHunt said:

No description available.

First test of the new vacuum bagger.  US$4k jobbie from Italy.  Firing up the smoker today and will bag some ribs and duck breast - Memphis rub, three different sauces - Thai spicy, Sweet (apple-based), and Sweet & Spicy.  Free tasting session for some mates on Wed - to confirm the re-heat process, then we go start bagging and freezin'

Four Grand?? Nice rig, but I can't imagine getting $4k worth of benefit from it. But I've been called less than imaginative by some less than charitable people..

34 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Four Grand?? Nice rig, but I can't imagine getting $4k worth of benefit from it. But I've been called less than imaginative by some less than charitable people..

if they called you "less than imaginative" rather than a " a stunned fool", I'd say they were being charitable!    :D :D 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chester said:

if they called you "less than imaginative" rather than a " a stunned fool", I'd say they were being charitable!    :D :D 

We are polite down here in Texas. "Bless his heart"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, On The Hard said:
3 hours ago, chester said:

We are polite down here in Texas. "Bless his heart"

Blesse you hearte OTH, you made me laffe, blesse you hearte................                             :)

• Like 2

I think it works fairly well.  Here's some smoked duck breast that's just been packaged

package.jpg

I'm about to reheat one for my lunch.  Had one the other day... just as good as fresh out of the smoker

Looks great! I'm sure it's awesome and I'd love to have one. It's just the four grand thing that makes me hesitant. 

Cheap ass that I am I might save myself $3,700 and get this...https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-12-commercial-grade-vacuum-sealer?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAiA_eb-BRB2EiwAGBnXXtqk-udYTb6dkMotxYXnoq4C07AIOmm3KSyjz3z9eJyBmPN2erj6qBoCnjQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I also know that saving money can sometimes cost you a lot more. Feedback?

I'm not expert on this topic, but my understanding is that you need a chamber-style vacuum to handle liquids.  We're now packing even more sauce in with the goodies... and it works a treat.

I put on free ribs across three styles for a dozen folks tonight, along with some smoked duck breast and crocodile ribs.... in exchange for them completing a survey for me.  The four day old bagged ribs rated within a point of the fresh out of the smoker.  I think we've got it where we want it.

I’m sold 100% on sous vide. Did a Chuck roast last night. Had it in the sous vide at 134° for 36 hours. Then cast iron pan for about 2 minutes a side. Came out pink from top to bottom. A bit toward the M side of med rare. Super tender, almost like Prime Rib. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

I'm not expert on this topic, but my understanding is that you need a chamber-style vacuum to handle liquids.  We're now packing even more sauce in with the goodies... and it works a treat.

I put on free ribs across three styles for a dozen folks tonight, along with some smoked duck breast and crocodile ribs.... in exchange for them completing a survey for me.  The four day old bagged ribs rated within a point of the fresh out of the smoker.  I think we've got it where we want it.

Is this for a commercial operation? 

6 hours ago, On The Hard said:

Looks great! I'm sure it's awesome and I'd love to have one. It's just the four grand thing that makes me hesitant. 

Cheap ass that I am I might save myself $3,700 and get this...https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-12-commercial-grade-vacuum-sealer?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAiA_eb-BRB2EiwAGBnXXtqk-udYTb6dkMotxYXnoq4C07AIOmm3KSyjz3z9eJyBmPN2erj6qBoCnjQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I also know that saving money can sometimes cost you a lot more. Feedback?

My experience is I get about 2-3 hunting seasons out of one.  During the 6 months the season is open, I'm probably running 3-4 packages through it 2-3 times a month.

If you use it monthly, expect it to last about 1 year.

Dunno what you're doing to it, but I've had this Foodsaver Gamesaver Wingman for about 4 years...between fishing, hunting, and now sous-viding we use the shit out of it year round and it's still going strong...I order my bag rolls online and I'll go through two 50' rolls every 2-3 months...

https://www.foodsaver.ca/en_CA/vacuum-sealers/foodsaver-gamesaver-wingman-gm2150-vacuum-sealing-system/GM2150-033.html

We have had a FoodSaver V2420 for over 5 years, use it quite a lot and it still works great.  It's predecessor was also a Food Saver and was around for over 5 years as well.

All the consumables (bags, seals and sealing strip) are all available via the web.

I guess we're several thousand dollars ahead of that game.

I .was driving through the Texas panhandle yesterday, headed for Taos and Orlando’s famous Blue Corn, red chile, shrimp enchiladas when I spotted this in a case in a small town. Not everyone eats well.1E0CDC64-F28E-42B6-A08A-8E8DF6F8016C.thumb.jpeg.51b450ead9e8a3542eaa52a8d34b332c.jpeg

OK Guys. Need your help.  A long round (12 4-5 inpatient day sessions) of chemo, plus radiation and surgery still has me on this side of the surface to battle the next round but did some collateral damage to my kidneys.  Nephrologist tells me I have chemo caused early stage kidney disease that needs to be managed.  Nothing dramatic except he wants me to cut my salt intake by 50%.   Even mayo and yoghurt have added salt, FFS.    

I need a couple of BBQ rub recipes that have little to no salt as anything packaged is high salt as are most of the recipes on the smoker sites.  Whatcha got?  

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper (or a bit more)

and perhaps a tablespoon of onion powder.

run it through a grinder.

I had a McRib sandwich for lunch just a bit ago. My overall evaluation of it is that McDonald's has a really good advertising company 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tybee said:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper (or a bit more)

and perhaps a tablespoon of onion powder.

run it through a grinder.

Thanks. Tried that on a spatchcock chicken over hickory tonight. Have to find a way to punch if up a bit but a good start. 

• Like 1

Jr. has started to get real creative with his venison butchery...a couple of little T-bone/Porterhouse steaks he cut out of a doe...I dry aged them for 14 days...gave 'em a swim in the sous vide...hot skillet sear...

FB_IMG_1608608219247.jpg

FB_IMG_1608608357882.jpg

FB_IMG_1608608236719.jpg

• Like 1

That dry rub above isn't too far distant from what we used today on a batch of duck tits.  Had a Kiwi mate and his wife around and we did some tasting before bagging 60 or so.

0ducktit.jpg

After the duck, he and his wife both had one of our Smoked Depression Burgers.  Sorry for the poor phone pics... but I reckon this burger is up there with the best I've ever had.  It is developed from the Depression Burgers of the 1930's that were made on Route 66 in Ohio - essentially a slab of beef patty in bread with caramelized onions.  My mate insists on the egg and cheese... and some trimmings.  We smoke the patties over logan timber.  No grill time at all... except for the egg and onions.

0smokedburgerdep.jpg

and yeah - we're a commercial operation, but we ain't delivering to your neighbourhood.

13 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Thanks. Tried that on a spatchcock chicken over hickory tonight. Have to find a way to punch if up a bit but a good start. 

Add a little cacao?

11 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Jr. has started to get real creative with his venison butchery...a couple of little T-bone/Porterhouse steaks he cut out of a doe...I dry aged them for 14 days...gave 'em a swim in the sous vide...hot skillet sear...

FB_IMG_1608608219247.jpg

FB_IMG_1608608357882.jpg

FB_IMG_1608608236719.jpg

Oh fucking yum!

On 12/21/2020 at 11:20 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

OK Guys. Need your help.  A long round (12 4-5 inpatient day sessions) of chemo, plus radiation and surgery still has me on this side of the surface to battle the next round but did some collateral damage to my kidneys.  Nephrologist tells me I have chemo caused early stage kidney disease that needs to be managed.  Nothing dramatic except he wants me to cut my salt intake by 50%.   Even mayo and yoghurt have added salt, FFS.    

I need a couple of BBQ rub recipes that have little to no salt as anything packaged is high salt as are most of the recipes on the smoker sites.  Whatcha got?  

DUDE! I had no idea. So sorry you are going through this.

I've got a neighbor in heart failure who has been told to cut back on his salt intake. When we got together (Pre-pandemic) I made him this with low sodium chicken broth. If you can afford a little sodium adding shrimp makes it much better. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-thai-coconut-chicken-soup

I'm not sure this is the exact one I made but it reads similar. Cut back on the fish sauce (loaded with sodium)  It's different enough from your day to day fare that I think you will find it enjoyable, and honestly, I didn't miss the salt

2 hours ago, On The Hard said:

DUDE! I had no idea. So sorry you are going through this.

I've got a neighbor in heart failure who has been told to cut back on his salt intake. When we got together (Pre-pandemic) I made him this with low sodium chicken broth. If you can afford a little sodium adding shrimp makes it much better. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-thai-coconut-chicken-soup

I'm not sure this is the exact one I made but it reads similar. Cut back on the fish sauce (loaded with sodium)  It's different enough from your day to day fare that I think you will find it enjoyable, and honestly, I didn't miss the salt

Thanks. This kidney stuff is a slow moving deal. I’m told that 90% of the time the kidneys are victims of something else so this isn’t a degenerative kidney thing.  It’s more of a “we beat the living hell out of you and extended your time above ground but some neuropathy and kidney damage are a consequence.”  On the plus side, one of the drugs they used is very cardiotoxic and the cardiologist tells  me my heart is as healthy as it was when he did an echo/stress set 8 years ago so I dodged that issue. 

I have never been one to add salt but have a weakness for salty/savory foods. Thai, Chinese, Spanish/Hispanic, Indian, Greek plus I like a good cheese so my basic diet comes with a lot of salt. Add in business dinners, working lunches, etc and all the salt in preprepared and restaurant food and he says I’m ingesting too much. Trying to find recipes that keep the savory/spicy side at lower salt. Trying to purge the pantry of high salt stuff where I can and replace with low sodium while making an effort to come up with substitute spice mixes for rubs and the like that lose the salt without losing the flavor. I don’t have to give it up, just reduce it by 50% but since I don’t salt food at the table, what I get is all part of how it is made or served. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Thanks. This kidney stuff is a slow moving deal. I’m told that 90% of the time the kidneys are victims of something else so this isn’t a degenerative kidney thing.  It’s more of a “we beat the living hell out of you and extended your time above ground but some neuropathy and kidney damage are a consequence.”  On the plus side, one of the drugs they used is very cardiotoxic and the cardiologist tells  me my heart is as healthy as it was when he did an echo/stress set 8 years ago so I dodged that issue. 

I have never been one to add salt but have a weakness for salty/savory foods. Thai, Chinese, Spanish/Hispanic, Indian, Greek plus I like a good cheese so my basic diet comes with a lot of salt. Add in business dinners, working lunches, etc and all the salt in preprepared and restaurant food and he says I’m ingesting too much. Trying to find recipes that keep the savory/spicy side at lower salt. Trying to purge the pantry of high salt stuff where I can and replace with low sodium while making an effort to come up with substitute spice mixes for rubs and the like that lose the salt without losing the flavor. I don’t have to give it up, just reduce it by 50% but since I don’t salt food at the table, what I get is all part of how it is made or served. 

Try the linked recipe. I think you will like it. Very low sodium if you cut back on the fish sauce and delicious

I have been living on low salt diet for many years and have found many chile pepper powders are great to add flavor without any salt.  I buy from the spice house because they have everything from mild to hot powders.  I have no connection to them, I am only a customer.

https://www.thespicehouse.com/collections/chiles

I use a 9 pepper powder blend I make for a salt free taco seasoning for venison and pork taco meat, I shake some green chile powder over scrambled eggs and have even smoked some powder blends (need more experiment work to perfect this) to add smoke flavor.  After living like this for as long as I have, I find salt almost offensive.  I enjoy the challenge of making food for friends that has no added salt and they cannot tell.  Spice (not heat) can equal salt for taste IMHO.

vinegar added to dishes can also imitate the taste of salt but, as one would suspect, vinegar doesn't go with everything.

Made beef Wellington for dinner. Never made it before. Since we couldn’t have dinner with the whole family we made individual ones out of filets instead of a bigger one out of a tender loin. Turned out delicious. The pastry was gluten free so it was a bit of a pain to deal with. Came out a bit over cooked for my taste. But over all turned out good. 

C2104052-1A0D-4068-8FEC-8A158BA5D47B.jpeg

• Like 1

Salmon with a maple syrup glaze met the palate with joy. 

From scratch baked macaroni and cheese is a joy, although a little messy and time consuming to build.  Last night I made two cheese (gruyere and sharp cheddar) and left Xmas over ham, the bechemal was 2 parts half/half and 1 part whole milk. Something like 700 calories per serving, not for the faint of heart. Pan roasted brussels sprouts on the side. Possibly the best mac and cheese I've ever made.

• Like 3

I failed to take a picture, which is too bad, 'cuz it was beautiful.

Laura made her famous cheese grits which I topped with shrimp, sauteed with bell pepper and onions. Simple dish, but oh so good! Looked something like this...(but cheesier)

image.png.581d323ac75bf3b39dcd273b2a60eecb.png

Quick try of a new sauce we're adding with the smoked meats.  Next time, we'll remove the Chimichurri marinade before cooking... to get rid of that dark look.... and we'll up the chili content in the sauce.

Chook tits in Chimichurri....

00chimifirst.jpg

Taste was fantastic.

January 1 found us going through kitchen cabinets throwing crap away we don't need. Came across some Pimenton de la Vera, a Spanish sweet paprika. Didn't know whether toe keep it or pitch it, so went looking for recipes. This is a keeper! https://blog.markethallfoods.com/recipes/item/spanish-sweet-and-smoky-chicken

dinner.jpg

• Like 1

Working out in the shop one day I wound up with a big chunk of 5/16 plate steel and thought why not make a pizza/baking steel. I had the TIG machine set up so used that process to stick the handles on. Took it to a local sign maker for san blasting. Seasoned it on the grill outside at 5-600 degrees which gave it a nice deep color. 

Tonight was the test run, I wanted to do it on the grill outside first time but the weather didn't cooperate. So in the oven at it's highest setting of 500, preheated for 30 minutes ir so. Tossed in a thin crust with an olive oil, fresh garlic, oregano, red chili flakes and some plum tomatoes that were destined for the trash. Been sitting out for almost an hour now and still very very warm. Holds heat well.

Damn fine if I do say so.

20210107_163750.jpg

20210107_164823.jpg

• Like 6

Lunch.  Smoked duck breast with gravy and Caesar salad (no anchovies... tfh here)

Smoked duck breast with gravy and Caesar Salad.jpg

Dinner.  Pork tacos

Pork Tacos Jan 21.jpg

and one from the other day.

Pork spare ribs - Memphis dry rub with Carolinas sauce, served with Italian kale sauted in garlic

Spare Ribs Memphis and Carolina with Kale in Garlic.jpg

• Like 1