Lightningflash

Wanted:J80

Recommended Posts

Looked for a good used J80.  I am in the Northeast but willing to travel within 15OO miles or so.   Please send me a PM if you have one for sale.

Thanks

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with your search. I tried to find a nice used one last year and came up empty. I ended up buying a new French boat and I have been very pleased. I understand that several more J/80’s are to be shipped to the us this year. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is surprising to me that there are not really many for sale.  The number of them racing has definitely dropped off, so where have they all gone?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MidPack said:

I have been looking high and low - that one looks ok, but way overpriced

38 minutes ago, MidPack said:

All of these are sold except the Arizona one - I forgot to mention, I am in Boston....

38 minutes ago, MidPack said:

SOLD

38 minutes ago, MidPack said:

New one, if it’s in inventory dealer might be motivated? https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/2019-j-boats-j-80-6937062/?refSource=standard listing

Fun boat!

Would be nice, but if I bought a new one, I would have to find new wife....

 

I have a few leads, but just like to see all of my options to try to get the best package possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 1:06 PM, Lightningflash said:

it is surprising to me that there are not really many for sale.  The number of them racing has definitely dropped off, so where have they all gone?  

Class is booming in Europe, and fleets resurging in various regions (TX, New England, Great Lakes).  Growth would be faster if people weren't so attached to them!

Also 15 new boats being imported form France.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, happy to see the growth in New England.  I will be sailing out of Beverly, MA on the Northshore and will be less then 2 hours to decent size fleets in Marion, Winnapesaukee, and Casco Bay, ME.  Hoping to get the class back for the Marblehead NOOD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s one in Boothbay Harbor that’s been on the hard a few years. Doubt it has sold. But you never know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got one that sits all the time here in Ventura, CA.
I can ask the guy if he wants to sell. Put it on a flat bed and it can be hauled out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 2:46 PM, Lightningflash said:

I have been looking high and low - that one looks ok, but way overpriced

All of these are sold except the Arizona one - I forgot to mention, I am in Boston....

SOLD

Would be nice, but if I bought a new one, I would have to find new wife....

 

I have a few leads, but just like to see all of my options to try to get the best package possible.

I know the guy selling in AZ and he's a good, straight forward guy in case you're looking at that boat.  He's building quite the sailing program there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, WCB said:

I know the guy selling in AZ and he's a good, straight forward guy in case you're looking at that boat.  He's building quite the sailing program there.

Just a bit too far.... looks like a pretty clean boat though

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Streetwise said:

Thanks - I had kind of forgotten about that one.  Just reached out them today for more info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, Lightningflash said:

Would be nice, but if I bought a new one, I would have to find new wife....

Save yourself some money, buy the new boat, find a nice guy to take the old wife off your hands for cheap, and lease a newer model.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, Lightningflash said:

Just a bit too far.... looks like a pretty clean boat though

 

I raced on this boat based out of New Mexico back in '96-99.  Great back then. It's been well kept and dry in the desert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tetonsail said:

Much easier right now to to find a new wife than it is to find a good J/80.

But it's cheaper to buy a band new J80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know when TPI stopped making J/80's and when USWatercraft began making them?   Anyone have any thoughts on the US Watercraft boats? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A j80 came up today for 26k in new York on sailboat listings....if you cant find it ask me and I will get the exact site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shavdog said:

A j80 came up today for 26k in new York on sailboat listings....if you cant find it ask me and I will get the exact site

I did see that. Thanks  The seller saw my wanted ad on the class website and sent me an email this morning. Options are starting to open up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not know about when US Watercraft took over building the J80 but they built my J105 and it is outstanding compare to other TPI 105.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one in Boothbay Harbor is a decent boat. I took a look at it last winter when I was shopping around. It ended being slightly out of budget for me, but they may be willing to wiggle around more since she's just been sitting there. https://www.ecys.com/boat/2001/j-boats/j-80/1635/. If you call ECYS, ask for Andrew Sheriff. I bought my boat through him and he was really good to work with. Very knowledgeable. 

This particular boat (don't remember the hull #, but its a 2001) had a bunch of the fairly common crazing all over the gelcoat..Its not pretty but not a structural issue. I think she's got electronics and decent sails as well as PHRF/cruising options (cushions, genoa).

It'd be awesome if you end up with one, we are trying to get a fleet started in Casco Bay. We've got three boats already currently racing here. 

 

Feel free to PM me with any more questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 7:54 PM, Lightningflash said:

Looked for a good used J80.  I am in the Northeast but willing to travel within 15OO miles or so.   Please send me a PM if you have one for sale.

Thanks

Brian

We are taking two to CRW. Both will be available for sail after. Just spent yesterday installing all new rigging, foil, furler  and halyards on one of them . PM and I will get you in touch with the owner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sr chief said:

We are taking two to CRW. Both will be available for sail after. Just spent yesterday installing all new rigging, foil, furler  and halyards on one of them . PM and I will get you in touch with the owner. 

PM sent - thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 boats popped up in the j/80 NA classifieds in the last two weeks...one in MD, one in NY. One in MD doesn't have a trailer though. 

 

https://www.j80na.com/j80-classifieds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Captain Jack Sparrow said:

2 boats popped up in the j/80 NA classifieds in the last two weeks...one in MD, one in NY. One in MD doesn't have a trailer though. 

 

https://www.j80na.com/j80-classifieds

Thanks. I did see both of those and talked with both of the owners.   Unfortunately for me,  the more I have been looking and thinking about my ideal boat,  the more I am a leaning towards a very turnkey race ready J/80, possibly a newer/and or French boat which needs very little work. This narrows the options even more.  I missed out on one such turnkey boat that sold recently up in Canada.    The search continues.....

I think the one in NY might be sold already and I know the one in FL that was recently on yachtworld is sold.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made an agreement yesterday to buy an J/80.  After searching all over the country, found one 40 mins from my house.  It was not officially for sale, but the owner was interested in switching to the J/70 class and knowing that he would have a buyer for his J/80, we were able to work a deal.  Planning on it picking it up this weekend.  The boat has some history and needs some buffing, waxing, cleaning, etc, but looking forward to getting USA1001 back in her prime.

 

First major regatta will be the NOOD in Marblehead if we can get the class back there, if not, then it will be the NA's in Winnapesaukee.

 

Thanks all for the help.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations! They are great boats! I hope the previous owner will not be disappointed in his decision to change classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, Lightningflash said:

Made an agreement yesterday to buy an J/80.  After searching all over the country, found one 40 mins from my house.  It was not officially for sale, but the owner was interested in switching to the J/70 class and knowing that he would have a buyer for his J/80, we were able to work a deal.  Planning on it picking it up this weekend.  The boat has some history and needs some buffing, waxing, cleaning, etc, but looking forward to getting USA1001 back in her prime.

 

First major regatta will be the NOOD in Marblehead if we can get the class back there, if not, then it will be the NA's in Winnapesaukee.

 

Thanks all for the help.

Congrats! Look forward to seeing you up on the lake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now