Looked for a good used J80.  I am in the Northeast but willing to travel within 15OO miles or so.   Please send me a PM if you have one for sale.

Thanks

Brian

Good luck with your search. I tried to find a nice used one last year and came up empty. I ended up buying a new French boat and I have been very pleased. I understand that several more J/80’s are to be shipped to the us this year. 

it is surprising to me that there are not really many for sale.  The number of them racing has definitely dropped off, so where have they all gone?  

Just brought a new J/80 to Tennessee. #1592. Awesome build.... Not as much as you would think...

51 minutes ago, Stiffler's Mom said:

Just brought a new J/80 to Tennessee. #1592. Awesome build.... Not as much as you would think...

PM Sent

38 minutes ago, MidPack said:

I have been looking high and low - that one looks ok, but way overpriced

All of these are sold except the Arizona one - I forgot to mention, I am in Boston....

SOLD

New one, if it’s in inventory dealer might be motivated? https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/2019-j-boats-j-80-6937062/?refSource=standard listing

Fun boat!

Would be nice, but if I bought a new one, I would have to find new wife....

I have a few leads, but just like to see all of my options to try to get the best package possible.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:06 PM, Lightningflash said:

it is surprising to me that there are not really many for sale.  The number of them racing has definitely dropped off, so where have they all gone?  

Class is booming in Europe, and fleets resurging in various regions (TX, New England, Great Lakes).  Growth would be faster if people weren't so attached to them!

Also 15 new boats being imported form France.

Yes, happy to see the growth in New England.  I will be sailing out of Beverly, MA on the Northshore and will be less then 2 hours to decent size fleets in Marion, Winnapesaukee, and Casco Bay, ME.  Hoping to get the class back for the Marblehead NOOD.

There’s one in Boothbay Harbor that’s been on the hard a few years. Doubt it has sold. But you never know 

We got one that sits all the time here in Ventura, CA.
I can ask the guy if he wants to sell. Put it on a flat bed and it can be hauled out.

26 minutes ago, mgs said:

There’s one in Boothbay Harbor that’s been on the hard a few years. Doubt it has sold. But you never know 

PM sent

On 2/19/2019 at 2:46 PM, Lightningflash said:

I have been looking high and low - that one looks ok, but way overpriced

All of these are sold except the Arizona one - I forgot to mention, I am in Boston....

SOLD

I have a few leads, but just like to see all of my options to try to get the best package possible.

I know the guy selling in AZ and he's a good, straight forward guy in case you're looking at that boat.  He's building quite the sailing program there.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, WCB said:

I know the guy selling in AZ and he's a good, straight forward guy in case you're looking at that boat.  He's building quite the sailing program there.

Just a bit too far.... looks like a pretty clean boat though

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Streetwise said:

Thanks - I had kind of forgotten about that one.  Just reached out them today for more info.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, Lightningflash said:

Save yourself some money, buy the new boat, find a nice guy to take the old wife off your hands for cheap, and lease a newer model.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, Lightningflash said:

Just a bit too far.... looks like a pretty clean boat though

I raced on this boat based out of New Mexico back in '96-99.  Great back then. It's been well kept and dry in the desert.

21 minutes ago, Tetonsail said:

Much easier right now to to find a new wife than it is to find a good J/80.

But it's cheaper to buy a band new J80.

Anyone know when TPI stopped making J/80's and when USWatercraft began making them?   Anyone have any thoughts on the US Watercraft boats? 

A j80 came up today for 26k in new York on sailboat listings....if you cant find it ask me and I will get the exact site

1 hour ago, shavdog said:

A j80 came up today for 26k in new York on sailboat listings....if you cant find it ask me and I will get the exact site

I did see that. Thanks  The seller saw my wanted ad on the class website and sent me an email this morning. Options are starting to open up.

Do not know about when US Watercraft took over building the J80 but they built my J105 and it is outstanding compare to other TPI 105.

The one in Boothbay Harbor is a decent boat. I took a look at it last winter when I was shopping around. It ended being slightly out of budget for me, but they may be willing to wiggle around more since she's just been sitting there. https://www.ecys.com/boat/2001/j-boats/j-80/1635/. If you call ECYS, ask for Andrew Sheriff. I bought my boat through him and he was really good to work with. Very knowledgeable. 

This particular boat (don't remember the hull #, but its a 2001) had a bunch of the fairly common crazing all over the gelcoat..Its not pretty but not a structural issue. I think she's got electronics and decent sails as well as PHRF/cruising options (cushions, genoa).

It'd be awesome if you end up with one, we are trying to get a fleet started in Casco Bay. We've got three boats already currently racing here. 

Feel free to PM me with any more questions.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:54 PM, Lightningflash said:

Looked for a good used J80.  I am in the Northeast but willing to travel within 15OO miles or so.   Please send me a PM if you have one for sale.

Thanks

Brian

We are taking two to CRW. Both will be available for sail after. Just spent yesterday installing all new rigging, foil, furler  and halyards on one of them . PM and I will get you in touch with the owner. 

39 minutes ago, sr chief said:

We are taking two to CRW. Both will be available for sail after. Just spent yesterday installing all new rigging, foil, furler  and halyards on one of them . PM and I will get you in touch with the owner. 

PM sent - thanks