Sign in to follow this  
JBOATTROUBLEMAKER

Laser 2 vs JY15 Turbo Rig

I own a 1995 JY15 Turbo Rig (Modified) and love it, I noticed that the JY15 has a Portsmouth Number of 91 and the Laser 2 has 92.5. My JY has a spinnaker, so it is faster than the number may suggest, so do you guys think it could beat a laser 2? 

9 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

My JY has a spinnaker ............

So does a Laser2

I get that, most JYs don’t have them, I was making the fact clear that mine has a spinnaker...

4 hours ago, Laser1 said:

So does a Laser2

2 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I get that, most JYs don’t have them, I was making the fact clear that mine has a spinnaker...

Copy that!

If I remember correctly, the JY-15 had or may still have a Portsmouth Number of 91.  The Turbo Rig is a different

animal is a coupe of ways.  Further you say yours is modified.  The original Turbo had a very different mast step, and

I think a piece marine ply built into the boat under the mast step. Hence, at that point the boat is heavier.    Also, I believe

the turbo has a beefier mast section than a JY-15.  It had to carry the load of a spinnaker and trapeze rigging.  Finally, the

Turbo had a different set of chain plates than the original JY-15.  After the one piece mast was made standard on the JY-15,

the chain plates were changed to match the ones on the Turbo.  And a retro fit kit was made available to owners of original

designed and built boats. 

After the mast was changed out to the one piece mast, and the chain plates were upgraded to the turbo style, a number of clubs

began adding spinnakers to their JY-15s.  This is a long time ago, but I think the original spinnaker for the turbo was about the size of

a 470 spinnaker, possibly a little bigger.  I can't remember how big the spinnaker was for the retrofitted JY-15s. but it was bigger than

a 420 spinnaker. As that was sort of the chicken 'chute clubs used for training juniors on spinnaker handling. 

I would expect that the Laser 2 will get up and plane in less wind that the JY-15 Turbo. 

Good luck.

The variation in finishing times in dinghy races runs to in excess of 20%. Whichever has the faster sailor will be fastest.

To be honest I had to look up what a JY-15 was and have a look at the specs. The below from google.

JY-15 hull weight : 275 lb (125 kg) - Total sail area‎: ‎135 sq ft (12.5 m2)

Laser II hull weight : 76 kg (168 lb) - Upwind sail area‎: ‎11.52 m2 (124.0 sq ft) - Spinnaker area‎: ‎10.2 m2 (110 sq ft)

That difference in hull weight is a lot to get onto the plane.

I am glad you are having fun with your JY 15 our club

Has 4 that I wish someone would steal so I wouldn't

Have to deal with them anymore. Laser 2 looks more

Fun or better yet Laser 2000. 

If anyone has solid, stiff and dry Laser II hull in Ontario that has been sitting inside a garage or the like for the last few decades, and you want to get rid of it,  please send a smoke signal.  So much fun were those boats back in the day! Shit build quality though.

I have a locker full of rigging for that class, owned two, and yet that's the only hull I've had to sawzall to fit into a dumpster.

Can't speak to the 15. Hopefully the hulls have held up better.

Why do you want to know about the Laser 2? Your JY -5 Turbo is a rare beast for sure. The Laser 2 would be even rarer at this point. I would think many of them went to the dump, bonfire, or that pile of beat up tired hulls in the back 40 of boatyards. Those boats are full of snakes & spiders and will never be resurrected. 

Are you currently racing against one? If you had brand new out of the box boats. I believe the Laser 2 would be faster if you could keep it upright. The hull shape is quite good(Bethwaite) and much lighter. As noted it would plane at a lower wind speed. The Laser 2 is renowned for being tippy, which is slow. 420's rate the same as a Laser full rig. In general I haven't seen many 420's  beat a Laser head to head.

8 hours ago, Laser1 said:

To be honest I had to look up what a JY-15 was and have a look at the specs. The below from google.

JY-15 hull weight : 275 lb (125 kg) - Total sail area‎: ‎135 sq ft (12.5 m2)

Laser II hull weight : 76 kg (168 lb) - Upwind sail area‎: ‎11.52 m2 (124.0 sq ft) - Spinnaker area‎: ‎10.2 m2 (110 sq ft)

That difference in hull weight is a lot to get onto the plane.

I'm surprised the rating shows the Laser II as a little bit slower, but then I'd guess the two boats rarely if ever raced against each other and the US Portsmouth system is based on a woefully small amount of data.

Having sailed both, the JY-15 is a lot more boat. I would suspect that if both boats were new, hulls stiff, new sails, etc etc, and raced against each other with sailors swapped back and forth, they'd be pretty close with an edge to the Laser II in light air and to the JY in heavy. This is partly based on having sailed both on the same course as 420s and FJs a couple of times..... both beat the 420 handily, the JY by a wider margin.

FB- Doug

The turbo has the same mast, I believe, there is a model called the JY15 Junior that has a smaller spinnaker and a beffier mast, overall, which boat is better overall?

On 2/16/2019 at 8:09 AM, crashtestdummy said:

I have a laser II in the northeast that’s for sale if your interested 

How much is it for sale for?

Oh man I miss the Laser 2.

Berthwaite hull was a rounded off Taser with the bells and whistles.

Again, another person who ended up using a power saw to cut up the hull which ended with the constituency of wet lettuce so I could flat pack it into a skip...

Would buy a "dry" low mileage barn find in a second.

9 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

Make a reasonable offer and come get it.  It’s just a kids play toy 

I don’t know what prices they go for, the reason why I said I wasn’t in the best position right now to purchase is because I can’t offer all that much

Because it is, in normal use terms, more durable than fiberglass, also, the interior of the JY is made from fiberglass 

I just re read that reply and realized that I worded it as though I was uninterested in the boat. How much would be considered reasonable?

post-8686-0-17728400-1390175217_thumb.jpgpost-8686-0-59533400-1395077284_thumb.jpg 

I have a Laser2 Hull with a Hoyt Rig.   When the wind blows, it lights right up, and will utterly fly by a JY15.  I chopped the centerboard (didn't need all that area) and used a windsurf mast for a boom (increases righting moment) and put on a big sail.   That hull form is thoroughbred.   A whole lotta fun. 

24 minutes ago, bluelaser2 said:

post-8686-0-17728400-1390175217_thumb.jpgpost-8686-0-59533400-1395077284_thumb.jpg 

I have a Laser2 Hull with a Hoyt Rig.   When the wind blows, it lights right up, and will utterly fly by a JY15.  I chopped the centerboard (didn't need all that area) and used a windsurf mast for a boom (increases righting moment) and put on a big sail.   That hull form is thoroughbred.   A whole lotta fun. 

Now that looks like a really cool boat. Did you add any reinforcing around the trunk or the mast step?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Now that looks like a really cool boat. Did you add any reinforcing around the trunk or the mast step?

FB- Doug

He must have because the II's mast is deck stepped just in front of the cockpit + standing rigging.  Blue's one is unstayed and a good 20" forward so some major surgery there. Nice idea though.

Lii.jpg

2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

He must have because the II's mast is deck stepped just in front of the cockpit + standing rigging.  Blue's one is unstayed and a good 20" forward so some major surgery there. Nice idea though.

Lii.jpg

I know they made an "Expedition II" or something like that with a Hoyt rig, Laser mast with a seperate L-boom, but I don't know if they did it with the Laser 2 hull. But yeah, to do this to a regular Laser 2 would be a pretty big job; you could scarf in 2 normal Laser mast steps (do they still sell the kid for this?) with appropriate reinforcement. I don't think it would be any lighter than the normal Laser 2 rig, might not be enough heavier to notice.

FB- Doug

No it was engineered by Escape Boat Co. in their first year.  Carbon spar by Fiberspar.   Mast steps to a steel pin on the hull floor in a big fiberglass case.  Solid as a rock. 

I have owned it for 18 years,  sailed many, many miles on all the Great Lakes.   Rig is way, way lighter than Laser2 rig.  Much higher weight to righting moment ratio- over 10%.  A lot faster than one might expect. 

This thread makes me miss my Laser 2. Boat was a lot of fun to race. 

Very sweet mod there BL2. Very sweet. 

• Like 1

I have owned a JY15, a Laser 2 and Tasar and others...

JY-15 fast in the light stuff, Laser 2 in anything above 8kts, and Tasar anytime.  Decent one design racing for JY.

JY-15 short is centerboard and the boat is heavy, so really slow when heeled and slow to plane. Construction methods completely stupid.  Pain to fix, and the cracking plastic is really a problem.

Laser 2 really fun to sail.  My kids want it back.  I suspect it's a Portsmouth sleeper.  I did some racing against a vanguard 15 and beat them boat for boat half the time.  The build quality was terrible, and despite my decent fiberglassing skills we decided fixing it (cockpit floor was completely delaminated) it was not worth the effort.  

Tasar is a work of art.  Beautifully made, really fast, and challenging yet fun to sail.