Peder

What's your favorite multitool and why?

In the market for a new multitool for my harness. What's your favorite and why?

Leatherman Wave. You get both a straight blade and a serrated blade knife, and both are accessible from the outside without having to first open the tool up. When you open it to use as pliers, the handle is rounded to make squeezing tightly more comfortable. Has a file, scissors, screwdrivers, etc..

• Like 8

Angle grinder. With the right attachment you can do almost anything with it, including opening a beer bottle.

FKT

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Angle grinder. With the right attachment you can do almost anything with it, including opening a beer bottle.

FKT

"If you want to call yourself a shipwright, you have to be able to shave with a 4" angle grinder"

I like the leatherman wave too. It has lots of options. Single use tools are better in just about any situation. But the wave isn't bad and it's all in one tool.

• Like 1

my  REEF flip flops.

• Like 1

The cheapest "Leatherman" copy you can find,  I pay around $10.

No where near as nice as a good swiss army knife or the real deal Leatherman......  But they have the advantage that you can't even throw them away,  they just keep turning up back in the bottom of your bag.  I think I have 3 at the moment but with the way they seem to breed who knows.

I used $80 -100ish Swiss Army knives for years and got a couple of years at most out of them before dropping them over the side.  These cheap things I just can't lose!

• Like 3

I've been carrying a Swiss Army knife "Spartan"for 40 years...I don't like big clunky stuff

1 minute ago, Barnacle Balls said:
12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

NIce new hammer. None of mine look like that

that's cause it's a mallet, dumbass.

No, THIS is a mallet

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6dEGBYyHnWsJLRzb6-

The hammer TQ posted above might more properly be called a sledge hammer.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Correct that's a sledge hammer,  mine doesn't look as as new as that,

Neither does my mallet similar to this:

CT-260420[1].jpg

• Like 1

Neither does it look like the 100 year old + fencing mallet I inherited from an old farm hand similar to this.

Mine has an 8 inch diameter iron bound head and a 5ft shaft..

s-l400[1].jpg

And it definately doesn't look like this mallet... which isn't mine..

Mallet locomotive[1].jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Q said:

And it definately doesn't look like this mallet... which isn't mine..

Mallet locomotive[1].jpg

I used to have one like that...... HO scale, it was fun to drive but a bear to get the little guide trucks aligned on the track.......

FB- Doug

thread drift pin....say has anyone or does anyone use the peen end of a ball peen hammer ?....last time I used that was in metal shop class 1962 ...peening rivet heads

Just now, SailBlueH2O said:

drift pin....say has anyone or does anyone use the peen end of a ball peen hammer ?....last time I used that was in metal shop glass 1962 ...peening rivet heads

Yep still got one but  not used the peen end in a few years since I last did a bit of riveting on an old clinker build dinghy..

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

...say has anyone or does anyone use the peen end of a ball peen hammer ?...

I once had a dog that responded well to it.

jk

16 minutes ago, The Q said:
20 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

drift pin....say has anyone or does anyone use the peen end of a ball peen hammer ?....last time I used that was in metal shop glass 1962 ...peening rivet heads

Yep still got one but  not used the peen end in a few years since I last did a bit of riveting on an old clinker build dinghy..

I use it for a couple of things, "dishing" washers is the only one I can think of just now. I have a big and little ball peen, use 'em both often enough that I PB-Blastered them both recently (salt air)

FB- Doug

Leatherman Juice XE6. The purple anodized one. Its small enough to fit in your pocket while still being big enough to be useful doesn't have all the extra tools you wouldn't need on a boat and is anodized for corrosion resistance. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore but they show up on eBay a lot.

1428976393__3.JPG.6256d96445ca1c1cb752dba4eab99593.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Q said:

41627_2000x2000[1].jpg

The old BFH!!  Big "Friendly" Hammer!!

This got me to thinking how many hammers and mallets I have and it's rather a lot.

Two claw hammers,

One wooden mallet for chiselling

One Fencing mallet,

One plastic low impact mallet (hollow with lead shot inside so you get a soft hit with the same total impact)

Two sledge hammers mine and an inherited one.

A multitool with a hammer head..

A couple of small hammers with the "wedge" shaped head on the other side.

A fairly heavy ball peen hammer

A rubber mallet , small

A small lump hammer for stone / block chiselling

Oh and a nylon mallet in the Kitchen just in case some bit of steak need it..

i've probably forgotton some..

Back on topic most Leathermans are illegal outside the home in the UK because their blades lock open, so they get classified as a weapon.. They are still on sale though and can be carried home still in their packaging.  Like recently I bought a new billhook for use round the garden and had to carry that home securely packaged.

I do have several of the leathermen rip offs and a real leatherman at home, the rip offs are UK legal with no locking mechanism..

10 hours ago, canesugarrules said:

Leatherman Wave. You get both a straight blade and a serrated blade knife, and both are accessible from the outside without having to first open the tool up. When you open it to use as pliers, the handle is rounded to make squeezing tightly more comfortable. Has a file, scissors, screwdrivers, etc..

80 to 100 Bucks, WTF??

3 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

80 to 100 Bucks, WTF??

Add 30% to that for the UK price...

Samsung Galaxy 8+. Gives me directions, plays music, sends me sailing news, weather, and lots of other stuff

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Q said:

Back on topic most Leathermans are illegal outside the home in the UK because their blades lock open, so they get classified as a weapon.. They are still on sale though and can be carried home still in their packaging.  Like recently I bought a new billhook for use round the garden and had to carry that home securely packaged.

I do have several of the leathermen rip offs and a real leatherman at home, the rip offs are UK legal with no locking mechanism..

wait... WTF? I won't even buy a knife without a locking blade. Cutting the shit out of the tops of my fingers twice was enough. 

• Like 3

Leatherman OHT

You can use it one handed.

The tools lock in place.

If you see one on demo try it. IMHO it is a step forward.

29 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

wait... WTF? I won't even buy a knife without a locking blade. Cutting the shit out of the tops of my fingers twice was enough. 

Just 'cos you can't use a folder properly...  :)

Sadly back in the 50s/60s it became the fashion for thugs to carry flick knives, badly worded new laws to counter this, ended up banning locking multitools. 

In general in the UK you are permitted to carry in public, 

A folding blade up to 3 Inches long,

A 3.5 inch fixed blade Sgian Dubh  if you are wearing a kilt. 

Kirpan of up to 9inches if you are a Sikh. 

Any other blade is illegal unless you have a justifiable  reason for carrying it.  Self defense is not a reason. 

Examples of Permitted blades by justifiable reason. 

A carpenter may carry his tools and have them out in the open on his work site. 

You may purchase tools and knives to take them home or work.. (Packaged up)

If you are a reenactor  you can march around with your musket and 18inch bayonet while at the event,  but the stuff must be secured ( normally in a locked box in the boot ( trunk)  of a car) when you leave.  

A diver may carry his knife with the rest of his kit.  

A lord lieutenant of a county ( ceremonial role only these days)  can in uniform, wear a sword. 

You can have any blade you like once you are on your own property or someone elses property with their permission. 

I know of someone who goes into schools carrying replica Anglo Saxon and Viking swords.. 

It's for history  demonstrations,  they are carried in a lock box in his car and just to stop some no nothing plod from arresting him, he has a letter from the chief police constable saying he has permission. 

4 hours ago, The Q said:

Neither does it look like the 100 year old + fencing mallet I inherited from an old farm hand similar to this.

s-l400[1].jpg

didn't they use that in the tom and jerry cartoons?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

thread drift pin....say has anyone or does anyone use the peen end of a ball peen hammer ?....last time I used that was in metal shop class 1962 ...peening rivet heads

Bought a new one a few years ago to hammer a sheet of copper into a bird bath for the garden. The rhythmic pounding went well with Marley in the background.

4 hours ago, The Q said:

This got me to thinking how many hammers and mallets I have and it's rather a lot.

Two claw hammers,

One Fencing mallet,

One plastic low impact mallet (hollow with lead shot inside so you get a soft hit with the same total impact)

A rubber mallet , small

Everyone needs a framing hammer. Most used hammer in my arsenal. 

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Bought a new one a few years ago to hammer a sheet of copper into a bird bath for the garden. The rhythmic pounding went well with Marley in the background.

Oh please, please, please say he was singing the one with three little birds!!!

I have a Leatherman Skeletool and it's pretty nice.  It's light (compared to most), has good pliers and a good length blade, and special fitting that takes a variety of double sided tools.  It comes with #1/#2 phillips and small/medium flatheads for that, but you can get inserts that do almost anything.  There are no sharp edges, unlike the $10 clones.

They'll also personalize them by laser engraving the blade, I bought them for the guys in my wedding party and it was kind of a cool gift, with the recipient's last name engraved onto the blade.

Downside: one of my friends broke the pliers in fairly normal use, but Leatherman warrantied it.

I've also owned the Wave and the Juice and prefer this one because it has useful size tools (Juice tools are pretty small) and is a lot lighter than the Wave.

There are lots of holes in it that you can tie a tether to if you don't want to lose it into the drink.  There are variations with different blade configurations, like the CX has a plain blade.

Leatherman skeletool multi-tool, blue, 7 tools, open view

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I spent many hours with one in my youth, riveting new teeth onto mower sickles, which is basically what I did after skool every day in the spring

a69607.jpg

I still have a couple of those, rotting out in the machinery rank somewhere - now have a mower conditioner that's a lot easier to use.  But harder to fix when it does break.  

• Like 1

Coincidentally, I just ordered a Wave+ yesterday.  The first thing that happened with both of my previous Leathermen was one of the plier tips snapped off. OK, by the second one, I knew to be careful about that, but it happened anyway.  A couple of days ago, I was removing hardware from my boat's mast and the screwdriver tip shattered.  These things are pretty brittle, compared to real tools...  Once the new one arrives, will send in my "Pulse" for repair. I've been carrying it in my pocket for 20 (?) years.  The one I had before that is stashed on the boat in the cubby with the deckplate key, a swiss army knife, and a headlamp.  (I often don't wear a garment with pockets while sailing.)

That reminds me - the old Leatherman had a little ring to attach a lanyard, but the Pulse does not.  With the Wave, it's an option that you have to purchase separately.  Anything I'm going to use on deck a lot needs to have a lanyard, I'm afraid.

Nobody's dropped the extra 60 bucks for the titanium model?  What about that West Marine thing with the marlinspike and the shackle key?  

8 hours ago, The Q said:

Two claw hammers,

One Fencing mallet,

A rubber mallet , small

OK, I need to know.... what is a fencing mallet? It sounds like a hammer one would bring to a sword fight.

The hammer with the wedge on the other side is either a mason's hammer or forming (sheet metal) hammer, depending on the shape of the wedge.

I have a bunch of hammers too, and keep two or three in most of my toolboxes. It keeps me from using either the big box-end or Stillson as a hammer.

BTW if you need an improvised weapon out of the toolbox, I recommend either a pipe wrench or a Stillson. A hammer is unwieldy on the recovery, you can get in a very strong blow but it's difficult to get in a lot of quick blows and strikes with the handle don't accomplish anything. OTOH if you whack somebody with a pipe wrench, they're fucked and it doesn't matter what part of the pipe wrench you hit them with.

FB- Doug

36 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

BTW if you need an improvised weapon out of the toolbox, I recommend either a pipe wrench or a Stillson.

I just grab what's close at hand. Winch handles can be effective. You can get 'em swinging around not entirely unlike a flail mace. Nothing spells victory like leaving your opponent with RAMWEL embedded into their forehead!

• Like 3

something cheap so if you lose it over the side you don't care

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Q said:

Just 'cos you can't use a folder properly...  :)

Sadly back in the 50s/60s it became the fashion for thugs to carry flick knives, badly worded new laws to counter this, ended up banning locking multitools. 

In general in the UK you are permitted to carry in public, 

A folding blade up to 3 Inches long,

A 3.5 inch fixed blade Sgian Dubh  if you are wearing a kilt. 

Kirpan of up to 9inches if you are a Sikh. 

Any other blade is illegal unless you have a justifiable  reason for carrying it.  Self defense is not a reason. 

Examples of Permitted blades by justifiable reason. 

A carpenter may carry his tools and have them out in the open on his work site. 

You may purchase tools and knives to take them home or work.. (Packaged up)

If you are a reenactor  you can march around with your musket and 18inch bayonet while at the event,  but the stuff must be secured ( normally in a locked box in the boot ( trunk)  of a car) when you leave.  

A diver may carry his knife with the rest of his kit.  

A lord lieutenant of a county ( ceremonial role only these days)  can in uniform, wear a sword. 

You can have any blade you like once you are on your own property or someone elses property with their permission. 

I know of someone who goes into schools carrying replica Anglo Saxon and Viking swords.. 

It's for history  demonstrations,  they are carried in a lock box in his car and just to stop some no nothing plod from arresting him, he has a letter from the chief police constable saying he has permission. 

Stupidest fucking law ever.  Well, maybe not ever—but pretty damned close.  I can’t wait for the Brits to outlaw rope so nobody can be strangled.

My brother got me a John Deere stainless steel multi tool for Christmas and I think it's pretty good. Nice fit in your hand.  

8 hours ago, Machsquad said:

Don't get a Gerber, they break easily and often.  

? I guess it's a case of YMMV-- I've had mine for 20 years....

On 2/17/2019 at 7:52 PM, Peder said:

In the market for a new multitool for my harness. What's your favorite and why?

get one in yellow

3 minutes ago, VWAP said:

get one in yellow

Yellow? So disappointing. I expected so much more from you.

After all, we were talking hammers, mallets and other things you pound.

1 minute ago, Varan said:

Yellow? So disappointing. I expected so much more from you.

After all, we were talking hammers, mallets and other things you pound.

I think the twins have a multi tool in the dorm room at the all girl college they attend.

Should I ask what they use?

8 hours ago, Alex W said:

I have a Leatherman Skeletool and it's pretty nice.  It's light (compared to most), has good pliers and a good length blade, and special fitting that takes a variety of double sided tools.  It comes with #1/#2 phillips and small/medium flatheads for that, but you can get inserts that do almost anything.  There are no sharp edges, unlike the $10 clones.

They'll also personalize them by laser engraving the blade, I bought them for the guys in my wedding party and it was kind of a cool gift, with the recipient's last name engraved onto the blade.

Downside: one of my friends broke the pliers in fairly normal use, but Leatherman warrantied it.

I've also owned the Wave and the Juice and prefer this one because it has useful size tools (Juice tools are pretty small) and is a lot lighter than the Wave.

There are lots of holes in it that you can tie a tether to if you don't want to lose it into the drink.  There are variations with different blade configurations, like the CX has a plain blade.

Leatherman skeletool multi-tool, blue, 7 tools, open view

this ^^ .  And leatherman will repair for free if you tell them how you broke it.

4 hours ago, Anomaly2 said:

? I guess it's a case of YMMV-- I've had mine for 20 years....

Gerber use to be good, probably why yours has lasted 20 years. Their new stuff is garbage. We got issued them in the military and I had to have mine replaced annually. Blades would snap cutting single layer card board, screw drive head would strip if you had to actually loosen something, and don't even dream of using the pliers the jaws would bend or the handles would twist.

21 hours ago, The Q said:

s-l400[1].jpg

Fencing has never been all that interesting to me, but this he-man event is in a completely different league than foil,  épée and sabre! I'll definitely watch for it in the next summer Olympics.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Q said:

s-l400[1].jpg

I am old enough to remember watching the circus come to town and put up the big top...they used large mallets like these to drive in the many tent stakes

Lots of good info in this thread; I have a multitool from Parker-Hannifin which is very small & simple, just two Phillips heads, one straight tip, and a pliers shaped to fit 1/2" to 9/16" tubing nuts. I keep it in my rigging tool box and have had it over 30 years, which is amazing the way I lose stuff. But I don't think it can be replaced at this stage.

For the boat U have kept a variety of cheapo multi tools from K-Mart that rust or get dropped; for knives I have a couple of old Gerbers and a Solingen. That Leatherman Skeletool looks great, maybe I should up the standard but I'd need three or four to keep one in service.

FB- Doug

I have 2 Waves and a Skeletool.  

Wave 1 got lost then found, it's a first Gen and it's sentimental so it doesn't get used much.  Stays in the Truck.  

Wave 2 is the replacement and has been beaten pretty hard for 15 years.  It doesn't close right with the philips head bit plugged in and anyone I loan it to jams it closed.  Other than that, it's been bulletproof. 

Skeletool is handy and is on the harness.  I'm the fat guy so I don't get in the harness much anymore.  Seems to work for the guys.

17 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Gerber.  Made in Oregon, no questions asked, lifetime full replacement warranty, they work, the blades take an edge and stay sharp.  

I had a Gerber. Was very good. Perhaps because of a tougher grade of stainless steel it sure attracted rust. Probably would be okay with frequent rinse and lube.

+1 for the Leatherman Skeletool. I've owned Leatherman tools since they first came out, probably about 6 in all. I broke one through abuse, which they replaced for free, and another due to a defect in the plier hinge, which was surprising. The replaced that one too. They're not the best at anything but they're pretty good for everything.

Gerber Flik, they don’t make them anymore but they can be found here and there. One handed opening and mine is 5 years old and is still going strong. Strangely the little scissors on it are very sharp and incredibly useful, for cutting even canvas.

cons: no replaceable wire cutters, can be a bit of a learning curve to use the pop out pliers (anyone you lend it to will inevitably jam it) 

Pro’s: sturdier than the wave I am never afraid I will break the pliers off with it to the point it’s been so abused the teeth are stripped off. It holds up to saltwater better than my wave. But both need to be cleaned and lubed from time to time. One handed operation is awesome one you get used to it.

One handed only applies to Gerber, I bought a leather man OHT as a backup and it rusts and jams pretty frequently and the blades break easier. 

I have a Leather man Super tool 300 and SOG West Marine Sailing multitool with marlin spike. My brother broke a spring in it, but I was able to send it back for free repair. Great customer service and it was originally on sale at WM for $50

4 hours ago, El Boracho said:

I had a Gerber. Was very good. Perhaps because of a tougher grade of stainless steel it sure attracted rust. Probably would be okay with frequent rinse and lube.

Victorinox Swisstool resists corrosion much better than Gerber or Leatherman. Every different type of steel has its pros and cons.

While I own six multitools (three Leatherman, three Victorinox), I'm not a huge fan of the 'jack of all trades, master of none' concept. They are definitely better than nothing, but no substitute for a proper tool.

Does anyone remember the New Zealand-made Sea Spanner? Combining an adjustable wrench, deck key, shackle slot and bottle opener, it used to be very popular with divers because it was almost impervious to rust. It's been out of production for some years: not enough customers willing to pay the high asking price (and people wonder why almost all currently-available tools are made-in-China cheapies!).

Spanner1.JPG

Spanner2.JPG

Spanner3.JPG

• Like 4

On 2/18/2019 at 10:49 AM, mustang__1 said:

The real reason for the 1775-1883 war was to have cutlery choices.

I loved my titanium Wave: low thermal conductivity feels warmer in cold weather.  But TSA liked it better. Bastards in Puerto Rico got it out of my checked bag. 

21 hours ago, Whisper said:

Stupidest fucking law ever.  Well, maybe not ever—but pretty damned close.  I can’t wait for the Brits to outlaw rope so nobody can be strangled.

What, stupider than people being allowed to own guns? Think we'll have to agree to disagree there?

3 hours ago, fastyacht said:
On 2/18/2019 at 10:49 AM, mustang__1 said:

The real reason for the 1775-1883 war was to have cutlery choices.

Good, I hate pointless wars! Oh wait, that was a really long one, too....

;)

FB- Doug

Guess I'm old fashioned, I carry a Swiss Army knife, the 'Tinker' model.  I find a phillips screwdriver much more handy than a corkscrew.  

Everybody knows I always have my 'MacGuyver' on me, and it gets used a lot. 

13 hours ago, IStream said:

+1 for the Leatherman Skeletool. I've owned Leatherman tools since they first came out, probably about 6 in all. I broke one through abuse, which they replaced for free, and another due to a defect in the plier hinge, which was surprising. The replaced that one too. They're not the best at anything but they're pretty good for everything.

and the bottle opener doubles as a belt clip too.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:06 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

The ball end is great for massaging that knot in your back.  Even better if you get your wife to do it.  She doesn't have to use her thumb and quit after 10 sec.

23 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Before my gerber got gerbered up by newport harbor, i would wash it in 3in1 oil after every regatta. Had 0 issues with it after i started maintaining it. 

Image result for opinel knives with whistle

Best blade out there...and it has a whistle in case you get lost in the mountains while cutting cheese and drinking vino.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, Svanen said:

Fencing has never been all that interesting to me, but this he-man event is in a completely different league than foil,  épée and sabre! I'll definitely watch for it in the next summer Olympics.

I'm dreaming in having this one huge hammer. :)

SOG, had this one a few years. Dead simple.

IMG_4469.JPG

Regarding bottle openers. A man should be able to open a beer with anything from a pocket knife to a stick. It never ceases too amaze me when some young guy asks for an opener and I have to school him, using a spoon or a ski or whatever is handy.

13 minutes ago, bmiller said:

SOG, had this one a few years. Dead simple.

IMG_4469.JPG

Regarding bottle openers. A man should be able to open a beer with anything from a pocket knife to a stick. It never ceases too amaze me when some young guy asks for an opener and I have to school him, using a spoon or a ski or whatever is handy.

Some of the winch handles out there are a real bitch to open bottles with - but if you can't make it happen then you can't drink the beer. 

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

More than three decades ago, I knew a girl who opened beer bottles with her teeth. Just thinking about it makes me wince!

open-beer-bottle-199x300.jpg

Skeletool here. I also have a Myerchin sailor's tool but rarely use it

BTW: Apropos of this thread, I just received the $9 "sailor's multitool" from Amazon.  

713OBdPCXnL._SL1500_.jpg

This thing is monstrous!  Maybe it should be apparent from the inherent scale in the photo, but it wasn't to me, that this is about twice as big and heavy as a Leatherman.  A real pocket-full.  

Also monstrous in a Frankensteinish, cheaply-made sort of way.  Hey, Nine Dollars.  

Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it.  Too big to clip on a harness.  If you tie a lanyard onto it, you could twirl it around like some kind of ninja weapon and stun a boarding sea lion.  

Oh good grief!  

Up-thread I mentioned that the lanyard clip was an optional add-on for the newer Leathermans.   BUT there is a hidden one inside the Wave - you just have to push it out with another tool.

Even worse!  The Pulse has one too!  It's hiding underneath the file.  I've carried this thing for 20 years without seeing it.  Or forgotten it at some point. :wacko:

So why do they sell the add-on lanyard ring?  (Featured on Amazon "often bought together.")  Tax on fools...