AndreasE

I love my wife but..

So, I just sold my boat as there is not enough time to have the skills up to speed to use it while at the same time having two kids in diapers.

However, I want to buy a new one when things stabilise a little in a couple of years. So here is the question: What should i do with the cash from this sale to make sure i still have it available when i want to buy the next boat?

If i put it in my savings account/stocks etc. i am confident it will end up as a new bathroom, or even worse as a down payment for a mountain ( !) cabin....

A

Get a second and third job Work harder and do all of the above

PS

don't ask financial advice on the internet 

PSS

buy a single handed sailboat and go sailing 

Dude, I sold my first boat and used the money, almost to the penny, to buy a white minivan. Crushing at the time but ultimately a great decision. 

Invest the money in your family and making your wife's life easier. I don't care how enlightened you are, she's going to be taking the lion's share of the burden for years to come and she'll appreciate your gesture.

When the time comes for a new boat, and that time may be a ways off, you'll figure out a way.

• Like 6

Send it to me. I’ll put it in the bank and give it all back when it’s time. 

We can’t let these women problems stop us from the important things in life.

Or, just give her the money now and tell her that she can use it as she wishes and that eventually you’re going to buy another one. It worked for me. 

But now I have too many and she too numb to care. That’s the beauty of a couple of years. The kids are out of diapers and I am out of ideas for the next boat. Not too bad for someone with about $500 in the pocket in ‘08...

Time heals all wounds, a boat just heals them quicker.

5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sorrey, I missrede the threde titelle........                 :)

That too.

6 minutes ago, Barnacle Balls said:

When my wife was pregnant, I bought a boat.

Fuck if I was gonna hang around listening to her shit. ;)

HA, me too.  We managed to get the house, the car, the dog and the boat about 4 Mo before the kid showed up.  I knew there was no fucking way I was getting the boat after the big day...  You caved..  Big mistake...  :P

• Like 1

Shortly after the birth of my child we moved onto the boat...without the hysterical mother. Best thing I ever did. Kids are a big deal, yes, but not the hysterically big deal involving remodeling, mortgages, new cars, six billion FB postings, debt, round the clock panic-driven schedules. Kid seemed to grow up automatically on the boat, no trouble at all. Mom is still hysterical 25 years later. I hear.

I think you made a big mistake. Kids absolutely do not require giving up sailing.

• Like 3

Right. Keep the boat and raise some sailors. If you do it right you will have good crew for life. And the wife will want to be there too. Triple win.

Poor bastard sold it already.

I was make him feel lessEmasculated.

Oh well, time to go look at my boats! 

My wife is the one who suggested we buy a boat in the first place.  Now we live aboard full time, and (once we lash down all the personal shit that slides across the cabin sole) get to go sailing whenever we want.

edit: I got a vasectomy before we bought the boat...

A real sailor will always find ways to sail. There is no perfect solution. Do whatever is best for your new family - all the rest will be taken care  of. Worked for most of us.

• Like 1

When my wife decided to join a practice in Rhode Island after residency, I talked her into buying a boat.

Her logic was "shouldn't we get a house first?"

My logic was, I thought, irrefutable. You have to get into the habit of owning a boat. It needs to be an accepted and normal part of your life.

If you say "let's wait until we have a house", then it will be "let's wait until we have the kids" and "let's wait until they're bigger" then "let's wait until after they're done with braces" then "their too busy with high school to come with us" then "well, we're still paying for college so once they're done with that" then "well, we've got this wedding coming up..."

And you never get the damned boat.

Once you have the boat in your possession, it's a matter of maintenance and using it. It's in your life, part of the family. The decision is then "is this boat adequate or we need something bigger", rather than do we actually even dip our toe into the boat life.

I will admit, the summer our first was born we hardly sailed at all. My wife didn't set foot on the boat again that season if I recall, and I only got out with a couple of friends. But we had the boat, even if we didn't use it much. When my wife was pregnant with my daughter, she was climbing ladders in the winter to look at new boats on the hard for the coming season. My daughter got out on the new boat almost immediately, strapped in a car seat and secure down below. That first year with Danielle we missed a lot of sailing because we were nervous sailing a new-to-us 37 footer with a toddler and a newborn without extra hands for child wrangling, but the second year we were out all the time.

It is possible my mentality has been passed on to the next generation...

• Like 8

Don’t worry about me. I still have the dinghy (which is big enough to take our oldest sailing this summer! Which I very much look forwards too!) and my windsurfer stash. Was just looking for some fun advice on how to set the money aside

:-P

Sail4Beer if you send your SSN and nbankdetails I’ll wire some money

A

29 minutes ago, AndreasE said:

Don’t worry about me. I still have the dinghy (which is big enough to take our oldest sailing this summer! Which I very much look forwards too!) and my windsurfer stash. Was just looking for some fun advice on how to set the money aside

:-P

Sail4Beer if you send your SSN and nbankdetails I’ll wire some money

A

How long do you want to sit on it?

11 hours ago, IStream said:

Dude, I sold my first boat and used the money, almost to the penny, to buy a white minivan. Crushing at the time but ultimately a great decision. 

Invest the money in your family and making your wife's life easier. I don't care how enlightened you are, she's going to be taking the lion's share of the burden for years to come and she'll appreciate your gesture.

When the time comes for a new boat, and that time may be a ways off, you'll figure out a way.

This above and when it's time, she'll be just as ready as you are to let you buy that new boat.

You don't need to own a boat to enjoy sailing/racing. The Other guys's Boat Club is the best club to belong to! All of the fun; none of the cost, maintenance, or all the other bullshit required to own a boat

I bought a new boat a week before my first was born. It took a few days of convincing, but ultimately, my wife rocks. It's a dinghy, so he'll be sailing on his own in no time.

Still working on the argument that the car seat will fit better in a 740il. 

• Like 1

My sailing club is a family club, I have passed rugrats to parents so they can strap them into their pushchair tied to the bottom of the mast and then go racing... (Mast is at front edge of Cockpit)

I wouldn't have sold the boat.. as it's now just cash you have no chance...

Don't tell her you sold it, she won't notice anyway.

Oh, and buy another one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Your money is yours, and hers is hers. Has worked for us, now in our 20th year

Some say thats a recipe for disaster......   If it works, well, good for you...  

1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

Don't tell her you sold it, she won't notice anyway.

Oh, and buy another one.

That's what I did with my shotguns.............yes of course its the same gun that I've always had.:P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

My logic was, I thought, irrefutable. You have to get into the habit of owning a boat. It needs to be an accepted and normal part of your life.

If you say "let's wait until we have a house", then it will be "let's wait until we have the kids" and "let's wait until they're bigger" then "let's wait until after they're done with braces" then "their too busy with high school to come with us" then "well, we're still paying for college so once they're done with that" then "well, we've got this wedding coming up..."

This ^ x 1,000 and raised to the third power. The only thing you need to buy is a nicer boat. When my son was born I wanted to make sure to prevent these kinds of shenanigans and we went on a 4 day cruise before he was 2 months old. At age 12 we figured he had spent over 10% of his entire lifetime on the boat.

• Like 2

Pics of wife?  You guys are slacking...

Did you tell her how much you sold it for?  If not.  Tell her you sold it for half and go buy hookers and blow when you need to.

If you did and you are in any way handy, come to an agreement that you can use half to do some car flips, buy some tools to do some side jobs, fix up an old power skiff, or something you enjoy that can either make you some money back or keep you a little bit occupied.  Eventually you'll get the $$ to buy another boat.  The kids CAN'T be your whole life, you will go insane.  

Gotta set the precedent that you are a boat family.  If you don't, you'll be an "other people's boat family"

Also the "They're too young to go on a boat" is bullshit.  I've watched my buddy's wife change their 10 month old's diaper while planing downwind in a Viper on a Wed night beer can race.  Didn't even have to take his lifejacket off.

we went both ways, had a boat when the kids were little. 4KSB and cruised a bit jammed into 26ft. Sold it when the kids were into sports that ate the summer and wife had come to hate my drunken yachtie friends. Bit later got a dirt cheap OD race boat for under 4grand , its a Shark so needs next to nothing to maintain. Wait 15 yrs , kids grew up and yachtie friends sobered up, wife actually wanted another cruiser boat so we got a bigger boat. 

It doesn't have to be the final nail in the coffin selling a boat, life's  a marathon not a sprint.

48 minutes ago, Kack said:

Pics of wife?  You guys are slacking...

Did you tell her how much you sold it for?  If not.  Tell her you sold it for half and go buy hookers and blow when you need to.

If you did and you are in any way handy, come to an agreement that you can use half to do some car flips, buy some tools to do some side jobs, fix up an old power skiff, or something you enjoy that can either make you some money back or keep you a little bit occupied.  Eventually you'll get the $$ to buy another boat.  The kids CAN'T be your whole life, you will go insane.  

Gotta set the precedent that you are a boat family.  If you don't, you'll be an "other people's boat family"

Also the "They're too young to go on a boat" is bullshit.  I've watched my buddy's wife change their 10 month old's diaper while planing downwind in a Viper on a Wed night beer can race.  Didn't even have to take his lifejacket off.

Do what graps  said he did a long time ago when he sold his second boat. Bought a dozen or so  old cars and put them away  in storage. I think they were Ferraris.

23 hours ago, AndreasE said:

So, I just sold my boat as there is not enough time to have the skills up to speed to use it while at the same time having two kids in diapers.

However, I want to buy a new one when things stabilise a little in a couple of years. So here is the question: What should i do with the cash from this sale to make sure i still have it available when i want to buy the next boat?

If i put it in my savings account/stocks etc. i am confident it will end up as a new bathroom, or even worse as a down payment for a mountain ( !) cabin....

A

Could be worse. She could buy matching bicycles for you guys to go on long rides together. 

4 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

in my house her money is hers and mine is hers.... ;-)   

9 minutes ago, dacapo said:

in my house her money is hers and mine is hers.... ;-)   

Are you sure its your house?:P

• Like 1

18 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Her logic was "shouldn't we get a house first?"

Exactly!!

I couldn't afford anything bigger but I kept getting boats. A Vaurien, an opti for the kids (the oldest was three when I got it), a laser, now I'm restoring an old 5,5 meter boat that was rolling about my inlaws garden... 

Oh, and I'll probably bring my dad's 23 footer down to Vigo one of these years.

5 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

To my (our) mind(s) that makes you roommates, not a couple.

Just now, mad said:

Are you sure its your house?:P

now that you mention it.....I wasn;t allowed to choose the 1. color of the paint for the walls, 2.the furniture,  3. the floors (although i had to install the hardwood) 4. the bed (although I like it) 5. any of the artwork on the wall  even though I had to buy it ;-)

More advice: The best baby advice I got was from a friend with several kids. He said "Your life is not over. Do NOT give up all your activities. Kida are not fragile, bring them along". My son was fine doing 2 week cruises from birth more or less, was strapped into the back of a Cessna at age 2 and got to fly it by age 5.  If you think things will "settle down", well THAT happens between when they graduate from college and then ends again when they drop off the grandkids :rolleyes:

In my case we sold our first boat not because the kids were too little, but because my wife couldn't relax on the boat while trying to wrangle/worry about two active toddlers. Once they got big enough that they could mind themselves and we were back down to just one toddler, we crammed the whole brood (plus dog) into a West Wight Potter and had a ball. We actually sold the WWP and got a bigger boat at my wife's suggestion...

7 hours ago, Kack said:

I think this is the main point, you and B.j.  Porter are spot on. falling out of the habbit of beeing a boat family

You know, I've never heard anybody say on their deathbed, "Man, I wish I didn't spend all that money on hookers and blow."  Just sayin'.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

You know, I've never heard anybody say on their deathbed, "Man, I wish I didn't spend all that money on hookers and blow."  Just sayin'.

Well if you get a stroke or heart attack from too much hookers and blow, you just might say that...........or just smile and say it was worth it B)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mad said:

That's what I did with my shotguns.............yes of course its the same gun that I've always had.:P

I currently have 5 dinghies.....

FKT

First kid was one month old when we took a week trip in south Puget Sound on our Lightning, tarp over the boom accommodations.  Many boat camping trips after that, trailering as far north as Desolation Sound.  As said before kids aren't fragile, obviously they are adaptable to most anything .  They didn't change life style much for us but wife was outdoorsy backpacker, climber type from the get go. YRMV.  If you want a boating family get another something, maybe a trailer sailor.

My wife was a sailor before we met (we met through sailing) and is an outdoorsy type.  We're both motivated to sail with our kid.  We did Race to the Straits (2-day double handed fun race in Seattle) when he was 4 weeks old and 2 weeks of cruising with him when he was 3 months old.  However we haven't done a lot of sailing with him since he turned 6 months old so I understand where Andreas is coming from.  Cruising with a very active toddler is challenging.  We're keeping our boat because we've put a lot of work into it and both love it, but it's a money pit for these few years.  We try to stay semi-active by doing periodic races in the off season and weeknight racing in the summer (with a babysitter).  We take our son out a couple of times a year for a motor to see how it goes and because he likes being on the boat.  

If we didn't race it I'd put up that netting, but it's hard to have a boat ready for toddlers and for racing.

A close friend with multiple babies in diapers is also thinking of selling his boat.  His plan is to put the money that he was spending on moorage into it's own account, and in a few years when he's ready he'll have a nice boat kitty for the new one.  I don't think it matters too much where you put the money, but I do think it's a good idea to put it somewhere for the next boat fund (unless you really need it for other priorities).

11 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Buy her a nice big diamond ring.  Diamonds are forever and a great investment...

Sure they are. Just ask any jewellery shop.

Then go try to sell it, see how you get on.

FKT

• Like 2

A little over a year ago friends called and said "we bought an Oyster, you're coming to NZ to sail with us for 2 months, and then there's this guy we know that needs crew...."  She said "we're going" before I did!   Spent 10 months sailing NZ and all the way to Cape Town in the Oyster World Rally.  Of course being retired at 56 makes it easier.

I guess I have a good wife. I bought a boat before our first one could sit up on his own. I bought a bigger one when we were trying for the second. SHE said we needed more space.

"You should get this boat[G32] it's faster than Imua, was".  I married the right woman.  In the past we restored 8 houses.  She  married the right man.  50 years ,never dull, yin/yang.

23 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I met a couple in their 70s. They lived on a J-35. Main complaint from both of them was the boat was too slow. THAT'S a wife! :D

Any wife happy to live on a J-35 is something for sure.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:38 AM, IStream said:

This...and echoing what others have said.  Happy wife, happy life.

Stick with your small boat for yourself until the smallest one is at least able to walk around on a moving boat on their own.  In my world that was when my youngest turned 3.  Anything younger and you'll never stop worrying that your kid will fall in the drink when you are underway.

Chances are, the boat you had probably wasn't exactly what you would have wanted for sailing with the family anyways.  In a few years, buy that perfect fit boat.  You'll figure out how to pay for it then.

Ya I got a daysailer (Precision 15, centerboard) when my youngest was 4 and oldest was 6.  Was great boat for tooling around the river with them for a few seasons.

Sell the house.

Sell the car.

Sell the kids.

apocalypsenow-glenn.jpg

Then buy another boat. Simple!

6 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I met a couple in their 70s. They lived on a J-35. Main complaint from both of them was the boat was too slow. THAT'S a wife! :D

As our nest has emptied, we've had numerous discussions on the topic of whether we should continue with our present boat as it's a bit large for a couple in our opinion.

My wife admits she would find it very...annoying...to be on a slower boat.

She could be happy with the living space on say, and HR42 or 46, but "it would be basically the same, but slower."

In my current situation, my 50'er could be considered too big for me. However, I've spent a lot of time and money making my boat the way I want it to be, including optimizing it for shorthanded sailing. NFW would I want to start that process again unless forced.

I got into sailing and bought my boat after I married my 2nd wife...she sailed for a while then told me to go ahead without her....not her thing...off topic but I once sold a cherry old 1962 Dodge pu to buy a engagement ring.....

2 hours ago, multihuler said:

I found a great deal on a boat and my wife said, wait to you sell one before you buy a new one,  but if i have to wait the good deal will be gone, never could sell any of the other 6 boats.

14711472_1247233725318664_8590025678447403368_o.jpg

Gotta make a good deal to get a good deal.

3 hours ago, IStream said:

In my current situation, my 50'er could be considered too big for me. However, I've spent a lot of time and money making my boat the way I want it to be, including optimizing it for shorthanded sailing. NFW would I want to start that process again unless forced.

This is part of it. After 13 years with this boat we have it pretty tricked out the way we like it. To get a "new" boat then turn around and have to do a lot of similar upgrades and make it "cruise ready" all over again just doesn't make financial sense. At the end of the day, it would set us back a lot of net cash.

And to spend all that time and money to end up with a less satisfactory situation just doesn't make sense. We can handle the boat ourselves, it's the two person watch schedule we don't love the idea of, and that has nothing to do with boat size.

The only thing we could conceivably do that might not drive us nuts is to get get something so radically different you can't compare them. E.g. move to something like a forty-ish foot cat that would sail quicker than this one that we'd use mostly for island hopping in the Caribbean.

Y’all who naysaid my comment: 20 years together, and are presently cruising, aboard our catamaran, for our 3d year full time. I’m writing this from the southern Bahamas.

9 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Y’all who naysaid my comment: 20 years together, and are presently cruising, aboard our catamaran, for our 3d year full time. I’m writing this from the southern Bahamas.

Good for you, whatever works in your relationship.

I've been cruising almost seven years full time with my wife and we're approaching our 26th wedding anniversary next month, together for more than 30 years. I'm writing this from Sydney, Australia on our boat.

When we got married all our assets became joint, and it's been that way ever since. We couldn't conceive of it any other way. The idea of worrying over who is paying for what in an equal partnership seems ridiculous to me. But that's our relationship and how it works. To me, his & her money seems like a recipe for divorce, but not everyone's relationship works the same way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

When we got married all our assets became joint, and it's been that way ever since. We couldn't conceive of it any other way. The idea of worrying over who is paying for what in an equal partnership seems ridiculous to me. But that's our relationship and how it works. To me, his & her money seems like a recipe for divorce, but not everyone's relationship works the same way.

It many places it doesn't matter too much what the couple decides, the state may have a different idea anyway.  Where I live (Washington State) all income with special exceptions is equally shared between both members of the marriage, it doesn't matter what names are on the bank accounts.  There is little reason to unnecessarily track it all individually in that case.

I know that this is highly local depending on your gov't and hopefully no one goes into the marriage planning their exit strategy.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:34 AM, AndreasE said:

A

Stick it in a S&P500 Index Fund (or a Total Market Fund) and forget about it until you are ready to buy again.  Pretend it doesn't exist.  Not saying hide it from the wife, but, well, dont mention it, and if you have to mention it, call it the boat fund.  Worked for me.  I also managed to stuff a few more dollars every month into the boat fund.

PS.  I still have a boat fund even though I bought a boat cause I didn't use it all.   Plus, I still stuff money away every month for the the future and any other boat related expenses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Stick it in a S&P500 Index Fund (or a Total Market Fund) and forget about it until you are ready to buy again.  Pretend it doesn't exist.  Not saying hide it from the wife, but, well, dont mention it, and if you have to mention it, call it the boat fund.  Worked for me.  I also managed to stuff a few more dollars every month into the boat fund.

That is actually what i ended up doing. Placed it in an index fund with low management fees (a Scandinavian equivalent to Vanguard VTI

A

• Like 1

Just now, AndreasE said:

That is actually what i ended up doing. Placed it in an index fund with low management fees (a Scandinavian equivalent to Vanguard VTI

A

Boom!  I have mine in the Vanguard VTI.  :D

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:54 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

They need to hike harder upwind, and rig up a line & block system so they can steer and trim spin from the bow on the downwind legs to get weight forward.  Everybody knows that's the secret to  winning shorthanded high point in Fleet >65, J/35 class. 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, B.J. Porter said:

I've been cruising almost seven years full time with my wife and we're approaching our 26th wedding anniversary next month, together for more than 30 years. I'm writing this from Sydney, Australia on our boat.

Me too. We tried the "divide the bills separate accounts" thing briefly and it was an accounting nightmare and total romance buzz-kill. We had joint accounts before we got married. I always thought the separate account deal was like having one foot out the door at all times, but obviously it works for some people.

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:
On 2/21/2019 at 2:34 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Me too. We tried the "divide the bills separate accounts" thing briefly and it was an accounting nightmare and total romance buzz-kill. We had joint accounts before we got married.

Same here. We abandoned that experiment after two months.

Just now, IStream said:

Nothing says "no sex for you tonight" like asking the waitress for separate checks :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I sold my sailboat (26' International Folkboat) a few years after getting married.  I sold the boat mainly because I no longer had time to use it or even properly maintain it.

While without a sailboat, I did periodically get out on the water in sea kayaks and canoes.

I also bought a powerboat, but never found much use for it.  I'm not in to killing fish, but I do have some friends who enjoy it.

After about fifteen years without a sailboat, I bought another International Folkboat.  I still don't have time to use it, but perhaps I will in a few years when I retire.

The cost of old sailboats had not increased over the past two decades.  Prices might actually have dropped.  An older fiberglass sailboat can be bought for used car money.  The slip fees and maintenance costs are probably a bigger concern than the purchase price.

3 hours ago, IStream said:

There's "our" money, and "her" money.  :)  j/k

But, we have joint on everything too.  We also have our separate savings for our personal hobbies, hence the "boat fund".

This obviously is not one size fits all, but I have found it vastly harder to start something new vs. continue something when getting spousal approval.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Me too. We tried the "divide the bills separate accounts" thing briefly and it was an accounting nightmare and total romance buzz-kill. We had joint accounts before we got married. I always thought the separate account deal was like having one foot out the door at all times, but obviously it works for some people.

Makes life a lot easier, especially when it comes to putting both feet out the door. ;)

18 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Nothing says "no sex for you tonight" like asking the waitress for separate checks :rolleyes:

That's where the line between pleasure and business get blurred. :lol:

19 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

But your odds go way up when you pay for nice bubbles out of your toy fund.

When my wife and I got together, I laid the ground rules that I would have one boat, one toy car and one motorbike at all times.

She retorted that I could only ride one thing at a time, and given I had a bike...