Void

How sailors drive

Photographer buddy of mine had a goofy idea based off a comic panel. I think it turned out fairly well! Next time we'll remember to bring a tiller for me as well as maybe a mast sticking out. Figured you guys would enjoy.

mHpBtBc.jpg

img_9361.jpg

His page: https://www.instagram.com/robert_torok_photography/

• Like 2

Anyone else ever feel the urge to scream STARBOARD at some dumb motherfucker in an intersection?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Anyone else ever feel the urge to scream STARBOARD at some dumb motherfucker in an intersection?

Oh yeah!  I think racing sailors develop a good eye for judging time-speed-distance and this carries over to driving.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

Oh yeah!  I think racing sailors develop a good eye for judging time-speed-distance and this carries over to driving.   

+1...  shit, we are comfortable racing 100k-200k+ 5 ton behemoths within inches of each other.  A frigging 3k sedan is nothing, A 5k SUV is even easier.  Brought this up with my wife..  She still hates it when I drive...  :) . Dad, a lifelong sailor has same problem...  

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

after a week of sailing, steering a car over bumps like helming a boat over waves.... 

Years ago Dave Perry said that when merging on to a highway, he has this urge to say, "Up, up!"

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

+1...  shit, we are comfortable racing 100k-200k+ 5 ton behemoths within inches of each other.  A frigging 3k sedan is nothing, A 5k SUV is even easier.  Brought this up with my wife..  She still hates it when I drive...  :) . Dad, a lifelong sailor has same problem...  

True story. Putting a 50 footer with inches to spare in 30 knots and 10 foot seas? On the on-ramp “coming up!”

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

My father-in-law, an ex-jet fighter pilot was pulled up by the cops for cutting it close at an intersection; had to bite his tongue rather than suggest that after judging closing distances at Mach 2, 30 mph was no biggie.....

• Like 1

I consider the inside lane of a long bend on a multi lane road as being on the inside of a lift while sailing, same effect.

I tend to do a Walter Mitty thing when I'm driving based more on my sailplane experiences. Especially looking over your shoulder to 'clear your turns' when entering a thermal!

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Or instinctively duck the boom when turning a corner?

That's just hiking where's the bloody crew on the trapeze?

• Like 1

I  have owned and driven 2ksb's for decades going back to the 60s...VW buses that is.  You learn to drive very defensively.  And braking is like sailing a boat...there are no brakes so you plan ahead, like  when coming into a slip under sail.  Never could back wind the VW bus very well.  Still drive my 66, but not on the SoCal freeways...a death wish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Q said:

As long as you don't start tacking on a two way road.....

Three sailors in a rented car, on London's M25 trying to make a flight at Heathrow, watching ahead as the lanes move at different, albeit slow, speeds and switching between lanes on the "headers".

And yes, we called "Tacking" each time.

1 hour ago, Black Sox said:

Three sailors in a rented car, on London's M25 trying to make a flight at Heathrow, watching ahead as the lanes move at different, albeit slow, speeds and switching between lanes on the "headers".

And yes, we called "Tacking" each time.

A journey I've made many times, and I don't think I'll ever make again:D On the rare occasions there's little traffic, there is a speed camera on the back of most gantry road signs...

15 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

....every time I walk somewhere. One day it will blurt out. 

When I drive in my car, I only make right hand turns, to undo all of the left hand turns made on the race course!

6 hours ago, Couta said:

Calling "Bouy Room!" at a round about......

Or yell "Mast Abeam!  (when windshield of the car is 90 degrees of your line of sight in the adjoining lane) Return to course!

- Stumbling

Or we can stick a j24 rig in a old pick-up in the desert.Can you guess what shitty movie that's from 

33 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Or we can stick a j24 rig in a old pick-up in the desert.Can you guess what shitty movie that's from 

Silly woman. Those old GMCs barely moved with the straight 6’s, you’re gonna need more than a J24 rig.

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Mad Max?

14 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Mad Max?

Wind.The movie that almost killed sailing for me.

18 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

But spurred a love of dancing?

WIND.jpg

50 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Mad Max?

Perhaps I should have used the sarcasm font...

On 2/18/2019 at 4:19 PM, B.J. Porter said:

I yelled PROTEST! at someone on 95 once.... then called them a cunt. 

21 hours ago, foamy1946 said:

I  have owned and driven 2ksb's for decades going back to the 60s...VW buses that is.  You learn to drive very defensively.  And braking is like sailing a boat...there are no brakes so you plan ahead, like  when coming into a slip under sail.  Never could back wind the VW bus very well.  Still drive my 66, but not on the SoCal freeways...a death wish.

Spot on, I’ve only had my ‘73 a couple of years and knew it would require a totally different driving technique when I bought it. It doesn’t hurt that I have a couple of options when I want to drive “sporty”, but the bus is chillin’ and you just roll with it and enjoy the ride. The Type 2 is challenge enough, not sure I could stomach the (lack of) brakes and accel  of a ‘66 lol.

”The bus came by so I got on, that’s when it all began...”

Four of us drove a ‘72 Type 2 cross country and back in ‘76.   Made it to NYC for the bicentennial tall ship parade. 

The bus’ gas mileage goes way up if you have the nerve to tuck in behind a big rig on the interstate. First attempt to start it each morning the horn would chirp. It was quite a ride over the Grand Tetons during a summer squall. Lots of windage and no way to reef a bus. And fuggedabout AC.  

• Like 1