MangoCats

Butyl Tape

If you've used Butyl tape for rebedding stanchions, port lights, etc. what was your preferred type/size/brand/source? 

Did you ever get any butyl tape you didn't like for any reason?

I've had good luck with the Life Safe tape as well, but the link IStream posted has the best stuff, and it's pretty cheap for a lot of material. It'll take you a while to use 50' of the stuff.

I use butyl tape left over from building the boat. Used it to seal vacuum bag edges, got it from an air craft supply along with peel ply and breather film. Don't remember which supply company but Google is your friend. Had half a role left over, been using it for 18 years and still good. Not as plyable as new but cut off a piece and roll it between your hands it gets soft enough to mold. Almost out so looking for a new supply.

Experienced people both here and on SA swear that Mainsails tape is by far the best.

Yup - get someone small to crawl up in the bow to do the nuts.

Doing the inside of any bow fittings is about the worst job for someone over 200 Lbs.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yup - get someone small to crawl up in the bow to do the nuts.

Doing the inside of any bow fittings is about the worst job for someone over 200 Lbs.

I _think_ the V-berth on my P303 gives good access, I can at least touch the wet nuts on the back legs of the pulpit from the shelves in the berth, getting the front ones through the access panel up and behind the anchor chain locker may be a bit more of a pain...

On a good day I'm 199lbs, so I guess I should be O.K. to do the job, but still need someone inside and out to pull it off.

2 hours ago, MangoCats said:

On a good day I'm 199lbs, so I guess I should be O.K. to do the job, but still need someone inside to pull me out.

Corrected.

Bite the bullet last year and bought two rolls.  I now have enough for the next 15 years. 

I could never get the seal on the caulking tubes to last longer than a year.   This stuff is cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

+1 on Mainesail's stuff.

If you don't buy his, make sure you don't buy the black butyl tape. Because butyl stays flexible forever, it always seems to bubble out from the hatch or whatever you bedded down. The black seems to end up in clothing, foul weather gear, whatever and stains badly.

Anyone used it for bedding chainplates? (These have small horizontal plates welded to them.)

I've used it for bedding cleats, etc but not sure if there's enough compressive force for it to be effective.

I've used junk I got from Home depot, junk I got from an RV store and two rolls from Mainsail by far the best. Even in spots I've used the junk It hasn't leaked. Redoing all my stations this year, only using mainsail stuff. Used butly on cleats, jib track, chainplate covers and other stuff I don't remember. I'm starting to win the war on water getting on the wrong side of the hull.

If you don't buy his, make sure you don't buy the black butyl tape. Because butyl stays flexible forever, it always seems to bubble out from the hatch or whatever you bedded down. The black seems to end up in clothing, foul weather gear, whatever and stains badly. 

What he said!  That shit gets on everything.  I stupidly let someone re-bed a portlight once with butyl tape. It was Hell to clean up and properly re-bed once the black butyl tape bedding leaked.

Sikaflex was the proper portlight bedding solution (and surfaces must be properly cleaned and pretreated).

Mainesail's stuff arrived this afternoon, I cut off a little piece and have been playing with it since - amazingly stretchy, sticky but clean, and seemingly infinitely re-formable into balls & ropes.

Of course, 20 years on the job is the real test, but so far so good.