Sign in to follow this  
dylan winter

Do you trust Barr?

No. Specifically because he dodged direct questions in his confirmation hearing.

I don't have enough knowledge of him to form an informed opinion, so I will do some homework before taking a stand.

Looks like John Goodman’s brother

15 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Looks like John Goodman’s brother

if the  next SNL skit has John Goodman  playing Barr.................

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

This man holds all the cards

Do you trust him?

1094509564.jpg.0.jpg

Dylan

100 percent!

I doubt Barr can keep it quiet.  And I think Mueller has considered that.

Indictments that drop on say, suspect x, can't be stopped by Barr, right?

So each new indictment will cause questions to be asked, and reveal a little bit more.

I somehow think we'll learn a lot next Wed, when Cohen testifies.  I think that will let the cat(s) out of the bag, and

start the ball rolling.

59 minutes ago, hermetic said:

he and his friend mueller are republicans, so there you go.

You realize that this style of generalization is little better than racism, right?

Not these days - not for the ones in power.

And the ones who support them.

Word among lawyers is he used to be a lawyer’s lawyer when he was in government service, and then he got a corporate job where he started drinking the conservative kool aid ( granted for a shitload of dough- he was working for money!), so views are spread between, on one extreme,

continued kool aid guzzling professing  Trump personal fealty

to, on the other extreme,

making up for his past sins viz the ‘I’ll be the Elliot Richardson of this administration”

and everywhere in between

altho J28 seems to believe he’s the best lawyer Trymp can buy, I don’t believe anyone can be comfortable with him, since he has deployed Trump’s rhetorical methods in extremis.

52 minutes ago, Grrr... said:
1 hour ago, hermetic said:

he and his friend mueller are republicans, so there you go.

You realize that this style of generalization is little better than racism, right?

you betcha

when the report actually comes out, those two will be called much worse than republicans - assuming there is such a thing.

15 minutes ago, hermetic said:

you betcha

when the report actually comes out, those two will be called much worse than republicans - assuming there is such a thing.

The "I know am I'm happy being that way" defense rarely looks good.  I'm sure mueller has already been called far worse, but he seems to keep his mouth shut and do his job.  I respect that.

Yes

12 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

The "I know am I'm happy being that way" defense rarely looks good.  I'm sure mueller has already been called far worse, but he seems to keep his mouth shut and do his job.  I respect that.

Pierre Trudeau once famously said "I've been called worse by better men" after Nixon called him "That asshole".

I suspect Mueller will be in a similar position.

19 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Do you trust him?

No, for reasons covered elsewhere.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, Contumacious Tom said:

Senator Paul is a "no" on AG nominee William Barr

"I'm a no," Paul told Politico yesterday. "He's been the chief advocate for warrantless surveillance of U.S. citizens. I think that the Fourth Amendment should protect your phone calls and your bank information. People shouldn't be allowed to look at it without a warrant."

"I'm a no," Paul told Politico yesterday. "He's been the chief advocate for warrantless surveillance of U.S. citizens. I think that the Fourth Amendment should protect your phone calls and your bank information. People shouldn't be allowed to look at it without a warrant."

It's valid criticism. As the American Civil Liberties Union noted last month, Barr helped oversee a secret phone surveillance program when he led the Justice Department during the George H.W. Bush administration. For years, the feds collected phone records on calls made between people in the U.S. and those in countries connected to alleged drug trafficking activities. (For more on Barr's drug war, read Reason Senior Editor Jacob Sullum's column from December.)

This program would serve as a sort of precursor to the National Security Agency surveillance enabled by the PATRIOT Act following the 9/11 terror attacks. And while Barr was no longer working in the federal government by the time the PATRIOT Act was implemented, he still defended the program, which civil liberties advocates believe violated the Fourth Amendment's protections against warrantless searches. Testifying before the House Intelligence Committee in 2003, Barr even suggested the PATRIOT Act didn't go far enough.

Paul, for his part, has always been uneasy regarding Barr's nomination. "I'm concerned that he's been a big supporter of the PATRIOT Act, which lowered the standard for spying on Americans," the Kentucky Republican told Meet the Press in December. "And he even went so far as to say, you know, the PATRIOT Act was pretty good, but we should go much further."

Like those whiners at the ACLU, Paul is still butthurt over the PATRIOT Act.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:35 AM, Contumacious Tom said:

And maybe one or two other things, it seems.

“I am unable to support Bill Barr’s nomination to be the next Attorney General. While I support President Trump and have supported most of his nominees, I have too many concerns about the record and views of this nominee. Bill Barr was a leading proponent of warrantless surveillance, and his overall record on the Fourth Amendment is troubling to me. I remain concerned that Bill Barr does not agree with our bipartisan efforts to reform our criminal justice system. Finally, Bill Barr has a troubling record on the Second Amendment. For these reasons, I voted today against his nomination for Attorney General.”

So, drug warrior, security state fanatic, and gun grabber. An AG specifically chosen for all the things libertarians dislike, it seems.

I cannot trust him, after the report summary and the spying comment and admission that he had no evidence to support his opinion. He is there to sling bullshit and run interference, not be the top law enforcement officer in the US. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I cannot trust him, after the report summary and the spying comment and admission that he had no evidence to support his opinion. He is there to sling bullshit and run interference, not be the top law enforcement officer in the US. 

A commentator on the TV news (I know, how old fashioned is that) this morning said "Mr Barr is in danger of sliding down a moral slope from being the Attorney General of United States, the top law enforcement officer in the country, to being another one of Trump's lawyers."

Barr should remember that Trump often stiffs his lawyers, and (as far as the public can tell) always lies to them.

-DSK

Lemmeguess - ABC?  NBC?  CBS?  MSNBC?  CNN?

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

A commentator on the TV news (I know, how old fashioned is that) this morning said "Mr Barr is in danger of sliding down a moral slope from being the Attorney General of United States, the top law enforcement officer in the country, to being another one of Trump's lawyers."

Barr should remember that Trump often stiffs his lawyers, and (as far as the public can tell) always lies to them.

-DSK

Barr also needs to remember that Trump is only loyal to Trump.

• Like 1

I don't trust him since he lied about selling WMD to Iraq in his previous stint as AG for GWB.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 6:59 AM, dylan winter said:

Do you trust him?

1094509564.jpg.0.jpg

Dylan

Firstly Barr is not holding all the cards, special investigator director Mueller holds those. AG Barr is working directly with Mueller and his team to go through and redact the sensitive material from his (Mueller's) report. If you don't trust Barr then Mueller must be complicit as well. Or you're a fucking troll. 

Don't be a fucking troll...   

Barr is a lawyer.  Smart lawyers will protect their standing with the ABA and state bar association.  That means doing nothing that can get them disbarred.  

This guy knows the law and he's riding the razor's edge as long as he can.  But the House is filled with lawyers who will eventually push Barr to the point he either has to risk his law license or comply.  That's where the blame game comes in.

When the time comes Barr has to comply with the law or risk being disbarred, he will comply and then blame everything on the Democrats.  It's Chapter 1 in the Republican playbook.  Then the Pubs will all rally behind him blaming the Dems for whatever the fallout is, especially if Trump goes down.  And the Pub loyalists will swallow that bullshit hook, line and sinker and drive that wedge deeper and deeper, weakening our country further.

And history will tell the story of how the Republican Rebels stood strong against the Yankee Imperialists and helped Mother Russia make American Great Again.

• Like 1

Actually the SDNY holds most of the cards now.  Mueller holds very few save his possible  testimony before Congress. Barr holds some to but he’s in the tank for Trump.  That said medium term he won’t be able to stop this thing from unwinding.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:21 AM, Amati said:

Word among lawyers is he used to be a lawyer’s lawyer when he was in government service, and then he got a corporate job where he started drinking the conservative kool aid ( granted for a shitload of dough- he was working for money!), so views are spread between, on one extreme,

continued kool aid guzzling professing  Trump personal fealty

to, on the other extreme,

making up for his past sins viz the ‘I’ll be the Elliot Richardson of this administration”

and everywhere in between

altho J28 seems to believe he’s the best lawyer Trymp can buy, I don’t believe anyone can be comfortable with him, since he has deployed Trump’s rhetorical methods in extremis.

I think at that level the Kool Aid is green. Down at Dog and Jizz Kid’s level it’s brown.

22 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Firstly Barr is not holding all the cards, special investigator director Mueller holds those. AG Barr is working directly with Mueller and his team to go through and redact the sensitive material from his (Mueller's) report. If you don't trust Barr then Mueller must be complicit as well. Or you're a fucking troll. 

Don't be a fucking troll...   

please don't be rude - I have never been rude to you

your mother/wife would not like to think that you spent your evening being a potty mouth

Dylan - real person - real sailor

That’s not rude. It’s Republican. 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:59 AM, dylan winter said:

Do you trust him?

1094509564.jpg.0.jpg

Dylan

I trust him to do whatever he can to protect Trump. Other than that.....hell no! How is that even a question?

Looks like the Pillsbury DOH! boy......

4 hours ago, Olsonist said:

I think at that level the Kool Aid is green. Down at Dog and Jizz Kid’s level it’s brown.

Probably been asked, but what is Trump offering these lads and lasses?  Can it just be yummie kool aid?   

Dog?

Jzk?

How has Trump earned your undying love? What are some of us missing?

Seriously-

• Like 1

I stopped trusting him when he spoke for transparency, but  limited by the rules in play. That bit sounded okay, but I understand that each AG writes those rules.

His 19 page thesis was another tell.  His mention of Uranium One was a third.

As stated elsewhere, we now have an AG who is actively obstructing justice.  Stupid shit.

3 hours ago, Amati said:

Probably been asked, but what is Trump offering these lads and lasses?  Can it just be yummie kool aid?   

Dog?

Jzk?

Seriously-

An opportunity to contribute hate to the giant cancer that is power and wealth.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:30 AM, J28 said:

100 percent!

Based on what? 

This is going to be awesome.  Don't disappoint us.

10 hours ago, Amati said:

Dog?

Jzk?

Seriously-

well, he could singlehandedly make single payer a reality.  however - I don't think that's his intention

On 2/21/2019 at 9:59 AM, dylan winter said:

Do you trust him?

1094509564.jpg.0.jpg

Dylan

Yes. And you should too. Common sense tells us that if there was any there there  ... the deep state leakers would be all over themselves getting it out and there is nary a peep from anyone. 

Nadler

Report will be released Thursday morning   So much for Barr refusing to release it.

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Report will be released Thursday morning   So much for Barr refusing to release it.

just before the easter break......

I predict that it will be a pile of unpleasantness

just speaking from eperience

I am looking forward to your constitutional "guidance" on this issue

Dylan - real person - real old journalist

44 minutes ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

Yes. And you should too. Common sense tells us that if there was any there there  ... the deep state leakers would be all over themselves getting it out and there is nary a peep from anyone. 

Nadler

still slapping second hand jpegs all over threads I see

9 minutes ago, The Joker said:

09667318-5AC0-49A4-AE02-FEE90EBCDCB7.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

just before the easter break......

I predict that it will be a pile of unpleasantness

just speaking from eperience

I am looking forward to your constitutional "guidance" on this issue

Dylan - real person - real old journalist

Easter break?   Once again you show your ignorance of this country.   I'll give you some guidence  Congress started their SPRING Break last week 4/12/2019.  

Do you trust most of them? If you trust most Democrats, or most Republicans, you're part of the problem.

Barr gave some evasive answers, and some Democrats asked stupid questions or made unfounded statements (not that Republicans wouldn't if the shoe was on the other foot).

Another pointless and entirely predictable thread, that won't establish anything new - sadly the norm for PA.

7 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

It was really nice of Barr to give the White House time to edit their response.

Did he?   He testified under oath that he did not give the report to anyone from the White House.   

9 minutes ago, MidPack said:

Do you trust most of them? If you trust most Democrats, or most Republicans, you're part of the problem.

Barr gave some evasive answers, and some Democrats asked stupid questions or made unfounded statements (not that Republicans wouldn't if the shoe was on the other foot).

Another pointless and entirely predictable thread, that won't establish anything new - sadly the norm for PA.

If it comes out and more than half of it is redacted, it isn't Mueller's report. 

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

If it comes out and more than half of it is redacted, it isn't Mueller's report. 

In all sincerity - so what if it is?  If the redactions were improper - then that will be made apparent by the noise coming from the Ds in committee.  We don't know *what* is in the report, now how much of the content is protected information.   Speculating w/out that awareness is pointless. 

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Why?  Redactions are required by the rules and laws of the special prosecutor appointment and the courts. 

Unless Barr inserts new words into the body of the report what else would it be, but the mueller report? 

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Why not wait until it comes out to take any position? Are redactions something new from either side of the aisle? It's my understanding some redactions are routine and customary if not legally required  - but I'm happy to wait and see what happens before getting excited about it.

2 minutes ago, MidPack said:

Why not wait until it comes out to take any position? Are redactions something new from either side of the aisle? It's my understanding some redactions are routine and customary if not legally required  - but I'm happy to wait and see what happens before getting excited about it.

It's a simple mathematical statement.  If more than half of any piece of authorship has been altered, it is no longer the work of the original author.  No need to read anything more into what I wrote than what I wrote. 

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

In all sincerity - so what if it is?  If the redactions were improper - then that will be made apparent by the noise coming from the Ds in committee.  We don't know *what* is in the report, now how much of the content is protected information.   Speculating w/out that awareness is pointless. 

Sol is simply voicing the next level of outrage.  

It doesn’t matter that Barr worked with Mueller on the redactions any redaction will be considered protecting Trump from the known “fact” that there was collusion  and he did obstruct.  

Nothing will change that mantra.  NOTHING 

15 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Did he?   He testified under oath that he did not give the report to anyone from the White House.   

I think his answer was a non-answer, something about landing the airplane.

23 minutes ago, The Joker said:

He testified he hadn't, yet. Per reports he briefed the white house on the contents privately recently. Again, look at timing fool.

7 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

He testified he hadn't, yet. Per reports he briefed the white house on the contents privately recently. Again, look at timing fool.

How about a cite on those reports rather than the using the voices in your head. 

Cite

Barr stated that “There are no plans to submit the report to the White House for a privilege review.” And that would constitute a total waiver of executive privilege — an act that is both commendable and unprecedented in its degree of transparency.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:43 AM, Mike G said:

I doubt Barr can keep it quiet.  And I think Mueller has considered that.

Indictments that drop on say, suspect x, can't be stopped by Barr, right?

So each new indictment will cause questions to be asked, and reveal a little bit more.

I somehow think we'll learn a lot next Wed, when Cohen testifies.  I think that will let the cat(s) out of the bag, and

start the ball rolling.

Take it to the drip thread, they need another ray of hope.....

• Downvote 1

Wow! Am I the last American that doesn't have ties to Russia????

"A few of Barr’s previous employers are connected to key subjects in the probe. And some argue that, even if Barr didn’t break any rules, his financial ties to companies linked to aspects of the Russia investigation raise questions about whether he should—like his predecessor, Jeff Sessions—recuse himself. 

“The legal standard is really clear about these issues. It’s not about actual conflict, it’s about the appearance of a conflict, about the appearance of bias,” Jed Shugerman, a professor at Fordham University’s School of Law and an expert on judicial and government ethics, tells Newsweek . “The problem is that we have so many flagrant conflicts that are so obvious, we get distracted from what the legal standard is.” 

This much is known: On Barr’s public financial disclosure report, he admits to working for a law firm that represented Russia’s Alfa Bank and for a company whose co-founders allegedly have long-standing business ties to Russia. What’s more, he received dividends from Vector Group, a holding company with deep financial ties to Russia. 

These facts didn’t get much attention during Barr’s confirmation hearing, as Congress was hyperfocused on an unsolicited memo Barr wrote prior to his nomination, which criticized the special counsel’s investigation—and whether he would release an unredacted Mueller report to Congress. Much of the information is public, but it has so far been unreported in relation to Barr..." 

https://www.newsweek.com/so-many-conflicts-so-little-time-1396435

Help!

Whenever I see his face I am reminded of Fred Flintstone and YabbaDabba Do!

Come to think of it Rosenstein looks a little like Barney Rubble.

13 hours ago, MidPack said:

that is the game - they want you to be prepared to wait and wait and wait

wait three weeks for the redacted portion to come out the day before the holidays, they want you to wait for the court procedings, they want you to wait

waiting is the game

to paraphrase

Truth delayed is truth denied

13 hours ago, The Joker said:

Cite

Barr stated that “There are no plans to submit the report to the White House for a privilege review.” And that would constitute a total waiver of executive privilege — an act that is both commendable and unprecedented in its degree of transparency.

"Barr stated that-"  excellent stuff there

I refer you to the original post - clearly blind trust is a good thing - so good that Trump refuses to put  his finances in one

do you see what I did there?

Dylan - real person

PS I wondered if you knew of a document that could give us some "guidance" on this matter

6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Truth delayed is truth denied

Wow, that’s plain stupid hyperbole...waiting a couple weeks.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

IMG_4914.PNG

Now this is actually funny, regardless of one's political leanings.

Anyone want to predict their reaction to the report before seeing it?  I'll hazard a guess using categories I just made up now:

a)  Friggin' outrage!  There are redactions!!

b)  Meh.

c)  Freakin' brilliant as is!!

Feel free to add categories, but if you don't , and since this is PA, my prediction:

a)  342

b)  5

c)  24

1 hour ago, MidPack said:

Wow, that’s plain stupid hyperbole...waiting a couple weeks.

do you think you will see the whole report within two weeks, within thwo years(after the election) , within two decades - after you are dead

Dylan

Just now, dylan winter said:

do you think you will see the whole report within two weeks, within thwo years(after the election) , within two decades - after you are dead

Dylan

It will be out in Two days.  Pay attention 

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

It will be out in Two days.  Pay attention 

all of it?

50 per cent of it

10 per cent of it

the American people are not to be trusted with it

how does that feel?

mushroom like?

Dylan

5 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

all of it?

50 per cent of it

10 per cent of it

how does that feel?

mushroom like?

Dylan

The thing to remember is that it COMPLETELY exonerates the greatest GOP President of the last ten years. And no you can't see it. 

He is a wonderful, wonderful president - the most wonderful ever - many people are saying it

I like being a  mushroom

like the American people, the Americcan congress, the American senate

24 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

all of it?

50 per cent of it

10 per cent of it

how does that feel?

mushroom like?

Dylan

Correct.  

On 2/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, dylan winter said:

Do you trust him?

Dylan

Hell no, not anymore than his predecessor. 

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

I agree he’s a great wing man for Trump it’s about time

Trump doesn't need a wing man, he needs a foot man. And a bunch of fools to believe anything he says.

57377322_151646292543294_390776349591076

And the fun begins -

Judge in FOIA case says he may want to review DOJ redactions of Mueller report after release

Excerpt -

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/16/politics/judge-foia-doj-redactions-mueller-report/

(CNN) — Federal District Judge Reggie Walton expressed uncertainty about the redactions Attorney General William Barr is making to special counsel Robert Mueller's report and suggested he may want to review the Justice Department's redactions for himself once versions of it are made public.
"Obviously there is a real concern as to whether there is full transparency," Walton said at a Tuesday court hearing in Washington about a request from BuzzFeed News to have the Justice Department release the report quickly under the Freedom of Information Act. "The attorney general has created an environment that has caused a significant part of the American public to be concerned" about the redactions.

Ironically he was in charge of the FISA. courts before this.  Should have a good feel for what can and cannot be released. 

The White House has not seen the Mueller report that completely exonerates the Pride of the GOP, but is preparing a rebuttal to it.

The Pride of the Democrats know Trump colluded with the Russians, regardless of what is in the (former) Saint Mueller report.

52 minutes ago, J28 said:

The Pride of the Democrats know Trump colluded with the Russians, regardless of what is in the (former) Saint Mueller report.

If I’m not mistaken, Mr. Mueller was charged with investigating more than just “collusion”.

Please point out to the class where anyone promoted the “collusion” angle since the Barr letter was released. 

22 minutes ago, Sean said:

If I’m not mistaken, Mr. Mueller was charged with investigating more than just “collusion”.

Please point out to the class where anyone promoted the “collusion” angle since the Barr letter was released. 

Schiff: There is still ‘significant evidence of collusion’

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/24/schiff-mueller-trump-collusion-1233336

You’re welcome!

22 minutes ago, J28 said:

You’re welcome!

Perhaps I misunderstood. Thought you were referring to us lefties on this forum. 

Edit - As to Schiff’s comment, I’ll defer to Mueller (assuming Barr didn’t mislead to that extent).

4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The White House has not seen the Mueller report that completely exonerates the Pride of the GOP, but is preparing a rebuttal to it.

these repubs can turn things around suprisingly fast

Barr pretended to do it in two days  - although he had been across the report for weeks so he did nothing over those two days other than to control the timing and put on the car charade

ditto white-house rebuttal of tommorrows effort - ready and loaded because  of course the trump lawyers have seen or been briefed in depth on every word - to think otherwise would be naive to the point of being delusional

the report appearing on the eve of good friday is so bloody cheeky it takes the breath away

I am going to bet that there has been an outragous amount of redacting.

However, just as the enemies of our lord tried to bury him on a Friday only for him to resurrect a couple  of days later then I think that the Mueller report might go through  a similar processand emerge in all its truthgiving glory - shining light all around

Dylan - interested friend of many mercans

If there is a serious amount of misdirection and weird redactions, I wonder if the Dems would go for impeaching Barr?

4 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

these repubs can turn things around suprisingly fast

Barr pretended to do it in two days  - although he had been across the report for weeks so he did nothing over those two days other than to control the timing and put on the car charade

ditto white-house rebuttal of tommorrows effort - ready and loaded because  of course the trump lawyers have seen or been briefed in depth on every word - to think otherwise would be naive to the point of being delusional

the report appearing on the eve of good friday is so bloody cheeky it takes the breath away

I am going to bet that there has been an outragous amount of redacting.

However, just as the enemies of our lord tried to bury him on a Friday only for him to resurrect a couple  of days later then I think that the Mueller report might go through  a similar processand emerge in all its truthgiving glory - shining light all around

Dylan - interested friend of many mercans

My prediction is that the report that we see will have the appearance of having been repainted with a paint roller. As I posted earlier, somewhere, if more than 50% of it is altered, it is no longer the work of the Mueller team. 

Someday we will see the real report. I doubt that day will be tomorrow.  I expect to see more distraction, delay, and distortion until the Pride of the GOP is out of office, after which there will be a concerted effort to pretend that he never existed, much like we saw after the term of George the Lesser. The GOP burned up its chance to rebrand itself with the TEA Party after him, so who knows what they will come up with after this train wreck.  Sometime after that, we will see the whole report and attachments. 

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

If there is a serious amount of misdirection and weird redactions, I wonder if the Dems would go for impeaching Barr?

they can do nothing unless the report is so bad that some repubs lose faith in Mr Trump and are prepared to vote  in favour of truth, honesty and transparency

Dylan

3 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

they can do nothing unless the report is so bad that some repubs lose faith in Mr Trump and are prepared to vote  in favour of truth, honesty and transparency

Dylan

Well, we know how that's going to fly. Party above country, at all times.