Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

Looking for a trailer to fit a 36.7.

We are looking for a new or used trailer to carry a 36.7. Any suggestions on where to look for one?

Teddy

I had Triad build me a trailer once. It was expensive but worth it because I could spec the trailer as I wanted it as well as the custom features desired. Really worth it.

Went that way after looking at trailers and realizing that most were for sale because they were built cheaply using cheap components and I wanted a trailer that would not need constant attention to rust or need new bearings, axles, tires, wiring etc.

Be careful of the overall height you end up with on the boat.  Have heard stories about cabin top winches getting knocked off boats going under bridges.  I think the deep draft keel on the 36.7 is around 8'.  So, she'll sit pretty high once you put the mast on top.

USE CAUTION AND DO SOME RESEARCH:

Apparently its becoming very difficult for anyone other then a Professional trucker to move boats that are oversized. Apparently the DOT has come down pretty hard on this practice. I would investigate what the deal is on this, as from what I can tell owning a trailer for a "Big boat" is not worth it as many have found you cant pull it. Several guys here who have moved J-111's 36.7's 109's etc have all said they wont do it as the risk is too high. I got the same story from 4 different guys all very well respected for moving boats..They were guys with their own trucks, but not really a full professional trucker...but they were probably better then a lot of the pros. John Woodruff (Woodie) use to specialize this sort of move...the new insurance requirements, and apparently a bunch of other requirements brought this to an end. The issue we have found with boats that have trailers is no one is willing to pull them and a professional wont as it not their equipment.  Its a pretty shitty situation. I will say though there are some really good and professional truckers who are really good to work with. 

On 2/21/2019 at 2:39 PM, Teddy said:

We are looking for a new or used trailer to carry a 36.7. Any suggestions on where to look for one?

Teddy

Not enough information to offer a brief enough answer such that I am willing to spend the necessary time to write. 

What is your plan for the trailer? 

Maybe the answer has to do with specing out a low boy to be hauled by your sleeper cab Mack truck.

Maybe you want to hook onto a long rope behind your 6500 series Chevy to haul out on a ramp and burnish the bottom every few weeks 

i cant answer 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:18 AM, RobbieB said:

Be careful of the overall height you end up with on the boat.  Have heard stories about cabin top winches getting knocked off boats going under bridges.  I think the deep draft keel on the 36.7 is around 8'.  So, she'll sit pretty high once you put the mast on top.

7'2" .   Mine shipped with mast below the boat. 

Drop a few notes to this fleet captains on the great lakes.  When I was purchasing my 36.7, they gave me a number of haulers that dealt with the 36.7 regularly.  There are a bunch of racers there that move their boats between lakes to compete in class racing.  That's how I found a hauler and kept the keel on my boat.  Good Luck!

https://www.beneteaufirst367.org/fleets/lake-michigan-fleet/

Also call this place...talk to a broker, they have contacts.

http://www.rcryachts.com/about/our-team