Sign in to follow this  
us7070

J/100 - single point hoist?

How easy is it to set up a J/100 for a single point hoist?

is the companionway in the right spot with respect to the keel bolts?

any other issues?

9 minutes ago, Pro looper said:

Weight

we single point hoist heavier boats than that on my yacht club hoist

Your club must have a big hoist the boat is over 6500# with gear closer to 7k,  and yes the hatch is in the way

you would probably need a very beefy C  of some sort 

3 hours ago, us7070 said:

what is a "C"?

C'mon. If you're going to tee up Yo Momma jokes, you gotta make 'em more challenging than that.

If you have a hoist that’s up to it, I’d think this could work for a J/100, very similar to single point lift for J/88 - which I’ve seen done more than once (without a “C”).

http://j105.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/All-about-Single-Point-Lifts-Walt-Nuschke-updated-42808.pdf

http://j88class.org/application/files/9614/5557/7342/J88_Single_Point_Lift_Diagram.pdf

The J88 is an easy boat to single point lift. We lift our boat at the club with two guys. There is an eye built into the keel bolts. The only thing you worry about the ties to the stern that angle the bow down. The make the lifting point line up with the companionway opening. 

J100 should be similar if you can get a ring attached to the keel bolts. Use the same concept as the pictures attached above by MidPack. 

J100 is heavier than the J88 and longer but has a shorter keel. I know our lift is maxed out height wise with the J88 keel when we put on the trailer. 

J29 uses two "screw eyes" which screw onto the two aft keel bolts. Balance point is forward of the companionway, so they have two inspection ports through the coach roof and the spray hood. Still need to put the outboard on the foredeck(or in the v berth area) to get it to balance correctly. 

J29 weighs more than an 88, but not as much as a 105.(and slightly less than a 100, IIRC) 

Almost any boat can be single pointed if set up right and have a beefy enough lift. Hell, they used to single point the Concordia yawls off the freighter and launch them into Boston harbor back in the day.