Anyone have any suggestions about places to stay after the Halifax race?  Never been there, never done the race before but I know we will be tired of being on the boat once we get there...

What part of town is convenient to get to the party?  Does that even matter?  Suggested places like hotels or B and Bs to try to get a room for a few days?  

Thanks in advance.

Check on Air BNB and VRBO.

Yes, good tip. They have a lot of places listed on the race website as well.

I am really curious as to *where* in town would be convenient as far as getting to the YC or bars and such.  Or maybe its just a small enough city that being downtown anywhere is fine?

Halifax’ downtown is tiny. You can walk anywhere in minutes. Or take a cab if you really think you have to. Most likely you’ll end up at the Liquor Dome at some point, watching the fights and wondering why everyone’s so crazy about donairs. Guaranteed diarrhea, those...

So its worth being closer to downtown then?  Im not sure what the post race party scene is like at the YC and if it will be worth staying closer to there or just cabbing over for the night and then back...

For example-after a Newport-Bermuda race everything is happening at the YC in the evenings.  Thats where you run into old friends and they have a great party going most of the nights so its worth it to be walking distance.  For the Halifax race is there one party at the end after awards?  A couple of nights at the YC?  Straight up debauchery downtown every night no matter what?

My boat is probably the slowest one in the entire event so we arent exactly going to be getting in early and looking for something to do to kill time...The plan is finish.  Booze. Sleep. Repeat until we have to leave.

As far as I can recall the yacht club is about 20 minutes from downtown. I would stay downtown and cab it to and from the yacht club. There are more than enough bars to crawl to downtown, but not much around the yacht club other than the club itself.

My memory is foggy but I'm pretty sure we ate and drank like kings. If you look hard enough you'll find some decent restaurants, a couple of good micro-breweries, live music, and whatever level of debauchery you can muster up.

Fufkin is right.  Not much at the club and they try to keep the noise down after 11 because it's a residential area. Downtown Halifax is a lively spot with great bars and restaurants. It also has several Universities and Colleges within the city limits.

For Pubs I recommend Durty Nellies (great food/beers), The Triangle (tradional pub style), The Pint Public House, and The Alehouse (late) ... but everyone should hit the Lower Deck at least once. You can walk to everything downtown.

There are great Restaurants everywhere. Higher end would be The Echange, Five Fishermen (recently reno'd), Bicycle Thief, Salty's and Gio.

Medium range (affordable range but most pubs also have good to great food here) Amano, Antojo, Auction House, The Highwayman, Chabaa Thai. Sushi is also inexpensive and excellent here: Wasabi House or Sushi Shigi.

There's also an excellent standalone restaurant 1/2 way between the club and downtown called The Armview (near the rotary) if you want to get away from the club but not go all the way downtown.

Accommodation - Halifax is always short of hotel space in the summer so book early if that's your preference. Air BnB is very active here so also check that. Stay downtown if you can. That's where all the action will be and just plan on spending the $20-25 each way on cabs if you don't have a DD/car.

Post Race - Nova Scotia is an amazing place! If you have the ability/interest to cruise afterwards going West from Halifax I highly recommend Mahone Bay (30 miles West of Halifax), Lunenberg, Shelburne, and Yarmouth. Going East The Bras D'Or Lakes (150nm further East) is nothing short of spectacular if you can do it.

• Like 2

If any crew wants to say on the boat it's nice to get dock space downtown.  You can ask for it when you sign up.  We moored a few time and stayed downtown once and the last time we finished 3 in our class so we had dock space at the club.  I liked staying on the boat downtown. 

On 3/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, v-max said:

Fufkin is right.  Not much at the club and they try to keep the noise down after 11 because it's a residential area. Downtown Halifax is a lively spot with great bars and restaurants. It also has several Universities and Colleges within the city limits.

For Pubs I recommend Durty Nellies (great food/beers), The Triangle (tradional pub style), The Pint Public House, and The Alehouse (late) ... but everyone should hit the Lower Deck at least once. You can walk to everything downtown.

There are great Restaurants everywhere. Higher end would be The Echange, Five Fishermen (recently reno'd), Bicycle Thief, Salty's and Gio.

Medium range (affordable range but most pubs also have good to great food here) Amano, Antojo, Auction House, The Highwayman, Chabaa Thai. Sushi is also inexpensive and excellent here: Wasabi House or Sushi Shigi.

There's also an excellent standalone restaurant 1/2 way between the club and downtown called The Armview (near the rotary) if you want to get away from the club but not go all the way downtown.

Accommodation - Halifax is always short of hotel space in the summer so book early if that's your preference. Air BnB is very active here so also check that. Stay downtown if you can. That's where all the action will be and just plan on spending the $20-25 each way on cabs if you don't have a DD/car.

Post Race - Nova Scotia is an amazing place! If you have the ability/interest to cruise afterwards going West from Halifax I highly recommend Mahone Bay (30 miles West of Halifax), Lunenberg, Shelburne, and Yarmouth. Going East The Bras D'Or Lakes (150nm further East) is nothing short of spectacular if you can do it.

Second everything above. Definitely stay downtown and cab it to the yacht club for the events. Theres some good deals from the race organizer usually for downtown hotels. 

Dirty Nellys is a great starting point. I like to finish at the Ale House

• Like 1