Livia

HF antenna

So for the ham geeks here.

So the boat has an open stern with a three lifelines supported by a central stanchion across the stern.

So if I am clever, I should be able to make this set up into a hf antenna.

Anyone done it.

Cheers

6 hours ago, lydia said:

So for the ham geeks here.

So the boat has an open stern with a three lifelines supported by a central stanchion across the stern.

So if I am clever, I should be able to make this set up into a hf antenna.

Anyone done it.

Cheers

It is not a good plan. I don't claim to be a Ham or arial expert. There are still a few of them around. A few years back I isolated my backstay so I can use it as an arial. It was easily done. If I remember rightly, it needs to be between 12-15 meter, where 15 meter is max. I think you will get nothing out of the lifeline as an HF antenna. Just think of it, if it was possible, there would be a few products for sale out there... Keep on dreaming.....

You might want to check out something like a Gam split lead backstay antenna. As I understand it, it's a self-contained, fully insulated system that slips over the backstay (no alteration of the backstay is required and I don't think the backstay has to be disassembled to install it).

21 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

You might want to check out something like a Gam split lead backstay antenna. As I understand it, it's a self-contained, fully insulated system that slips over the backstay (no alteration of the backstay is required and I don't think the backstay has to be disassembled to install it).

Kind of a diversion, but I wonder how the GAM antenna compares to a backstay in terms of reception, propagation, and interference.  

Agreed, not a good plan.  Put a couple of insulators into your backstay, with the length between them designed for the frequency you use most.  The ATU will do the rest.  Remember a good waterproof connector for the feeder onto the wire, and a couple of nylon post offsets to lead the feeder past the uninsulated section neatly down through a deck grommet.

Or a whip.  There was an Italian company that made an excellent collapsible HF whip in the 80s.  The top section folded over and down, and the lower section telescoped into 2 sections with screw nuts to keep it all snug when extended.  8 feet when stowed, rather than 21.  And you could even hinge the telescoped assembly down and strap it to the lifeline.

I put one on a Baltic 51 in 1981 and we were talking to Portishead from Croatia with a 400W Icom with no problem.

Or just run a wire antenna from one stern quarter to the masthead.

the last time I priced backstay insulators they were around $500 ea in Oz, so I used covered 3mm stainless lifeline wire, a couple of swages, and a topping lift.

if you want a permanent one, lash it to the masthead, easy.

Another factor if you were to use the lifeline is you would bake the eyes of anyone sitting near it or burn people holding on to it, especially if you put serious power through it.  I have crafted an antenna out of a backstay and made it work, this is the best plan.

I was actually looking at this last night and Marine SSB appears to be close to the amateur 40 meter band so maybe you can find some SSB gear and tune for other bands.

I heard of someone fishing the antenna wire inside a dyneema backstay.  

For yuks, I tried it with one of my checks.  No go with a previously tensioned length of line.  Too stiff.  And you need a pretty decent length of antenna for it to work right even with a tuner.

Maybe with a new bs, but you'd still have the issue of radiation at deck level.

Good luck.  I kind of switched from HF to Satcom years ago for the few offshore races we did.

41 minutes ago, Pinching said:

I heard of someone fishing the antenna wire inside a dyneema backstay.  

For yuks, I tried it with one of my checks.  No go with a previously tensioned length of line.  Too stiff.  And you need a pretty decent length of antenna for it to work right even with a tuner.

Maybe with a new bs, but you'd still have the issue of radiation at deck level.

Good luck.  I kind of switched from HF to Satcom years ago for the few offshore races we did.

Your antenna needs to be in the range of 12-15 meters long. I think it would be difficult to retrofit the antenna wire inside a Dyneema backstay. I would look at other methods of fitting the antenna to the backstay. There are clips and things like that where the antenna can be attached to the Dyneema backstay. That should work.