Sign in to follow this  
CriticalPath

RIP Paul Bishop

Longtime Doug Peterson associate Paul Bishop passed last weekend.  Paul was active in the very early days of SA, if I recall he and Scot had a bunch of spats so unfortunately Paul took his ball and went home. 

Before SA existed, Paul and I spent lotsa fun times back and forth on the old Sailing World forum.

More recently Paul was the behind-the-scenes guy at the Doug Peterson Yacht Design fan page on Facebook.  There’s a tribute from the Petersons posted on the page.

Never met the guy in person but lotsa good memories of our online chats.

Sail on Paul...

paul and i had one spat - paul started out with me in the very, very early days of sa. we wanted to "innerview" peter conrad,and he wouldn't answer any questions so i told conrad to get fucked and bishop got his panties in a bunch and quit. i guess he forgot about the anarchy part. i haden't really talked to him in 20 years before i heard of his death. he battled obesity forever and that couldn't have helped.

40 minutes ago, Editor said:

paul and i had one spat - paul started out with me in the very, very early days of sa. we wanted to "innerview" peter conrad,and he wouldn't answer any questions so i told conrad to get fucked and bishop got his panties in a bunch and quit. i guess he forgot about the anarchy part. i haden't really talked to him in 20 years before i heard of his death. he battled obesity forever and that couldn't have helped.

Read the above a few times and give some serious thought to deleting it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

why? it's the truth. that he is dead doesn't matter. 

14 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

But in a way, isnt Scot being refreshingly honest and telling us the true story of their spat through his eyes without putting lipstick on it. 

He is not saying he is celebrating his death....just why they didnt agree....and a little color about the guy.  The post doesnt reflect badly on Paul.   Its the kind of stuff that goes with hanging out with Scot.  If you dont like hearing someone getting told to get fucked than you probably ought not to be in business with Scot.  I wouldnt be a good fit with Scot but I kinda like his candor.

6 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

1 minute ago, Editor said:

why? it's the truth. that he is dead doesn't matter. 

Dead is dead, right?

Then at least sign off with "insensitive much", sigh...

I'm gonna wait till tomorrow morning to post my response to Scot and the unfortunate passing of Paul.

Scot can ban me now or wait until I tell................................what he will not want to read.

Everyone should know this.

Paul Bishop and the Wednesday Night Special with Doug Peterson. More than tempest can achieve in a wet dream. RIP Paul! 

3 hours ago, Editor said:

Now that you mention it I recall Paul being in on SA at the start - not enough brain cells left to remember that earlier.    He invited a few of us from the Sailing World bb over for beta testing just before you flipped the switch and went live.  That must’ve been about twenty years ago.  

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm gonna wait till tomorrow morning to post my response to Scot and the unfortunate passing of Paul.

Scot can ban me now or wait until I tell................................what he will not want to read.

can't wait. trust me dude, i know every single fucking there is between bishop and i. and if you think i'd bullshit about any of it, well, then you don't know me.

1 minute ago, CriticalPath said:

Now that you mention it I recall Paul being in on SA at the start - not enough brain cells left to remember that earlier.    He invited a few of us from the Sailing World bb over for beta testing just before you flipped the switch.  That must’ve been about twenty years ago.  

yep, that's how it was.

Very sorry to hear of his passing.  He was very kind and helpful as I was searching for a boat, very giving of his time and continued to keep in touch about possible leads for a long time.  Fair winds and following seas.

8 hours ago, Stevem1971 said:

Really???   Wtf    I just don't get the ed...

what's not to get? paul and i were virtually besties for a long time. he wigged out and didn't talk to me for 20 years. anyone wqho really knew paul, knew that he was all the things i said he was on the fp:

There was a time when Paul Bishop and I were thick as thieves. One of the smartest fuckers I’ve ever known, an excellent sailor, funny, angry, bitter and just my kind of friend. We had a falling out (I should say he had a falling out) about 20 years ago – most people don’t know that he was with me when I started SA – and I hadn’t spoken more than 20 words to him since. – ed

21 hours ago, Editor said:

he battled obesity forever and that couldn't have helped.

The above statement is what I thought was in poor taste.  What purpose did it serve?

I've read that drug abuse and obesity have about the same effect on life expectancy...

57 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

The above statement is what I thought was in poor taste.  What purpose did it serve?

I've read that drug abuse and obesity have about the same effect on life expectancy...

then i should already be dead!

20 minutes ago, Editor said:

then i should already be dead!

That was funny.  I don't know if I could work for you or crew, but probably - it's always better to deal with a wysiwyg person that someone who hides their thoughts.  As Oscar Wilde said "A true friend will stab you in the front".

and Fair Winds to Paul. 

1 hour ago, Editor said:

then i should already be brain dead!

FIFY, affirmative.

41 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

FIFY, affirmative.

i'm pretty sure i already am.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Editor said:

i'm pretty sure i already am.

Don't worry. Your real age is only about 15, considering how you display your personal dramas on FB ;)  

• Like 1

I was here at the beginning , he would attempt to moderate a bit too much. And thats why we came here to NOT have to listen to that.  

45 minutes ago, sr chief said:

I was here at the beginning , he would attempt to moderate a bit too much. And thats why we came here to NOT have to listen to that.  

I remember a time, using the old forum software, that you could make anonymous posts.  Those types of environments can be very tricky. When you have an anonymous post that threatens a specific person, that's when monitoring is a good thing.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, Meat Wad said:

Well,......We're Waiting....

9 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

I'm a visual guy.

I 'met' Paul on-line when I contributed some photos, press clipping etc to the Doug Peterson FB site. He took the trouble to call me here in Aus to chat about it all and seemed like a really nice bloke doing great work for Laura and the family in Doug's memory. I knew vaguely of his involvement with the early days of SA but not of the acrimony between him and the Ed. Sad to hear of his passing. RIP Paul. 

My condolences to Paul's family and friends.

We chatted quite a lot online back 20 years ago or so and he was instrumental in my deciding to buy (what I will always call "the FORMER") Wolfpack. I'm saddened I never had an opportunity to meet him in person.

As Scot related, Paul was funny, angry, and bitter. He was also fiercely loyal to his friends. Scot's statement on his struggling with obesity was not warm, fuzzy, and PC, but Paul would have appreciated the candor.

Perhaps we should all make more of an effort to make peace with old friends we have fallen out with.

Fair winds, Paul.  

• Like 4

On 3/6/2019 at 2:19 PM, Great Red Shark said:

Sorry for making you wait.

I've been doing lots, rewriting NOR and SI for many of our clubs races and doing some serious PHRF stuff that hopefully will have the impact of reducing regulatory burden and allowing people to do things to their boats (within reason) without worrying about getting slammed. Paul would have loved this because it will be good for owners and the industry.

Way back in late 2001 after we had SA up for about 6 months, Paul sent me a link to some free forum software. The first Forums, many of you will remember the coolness of having just one forum. I certainly remember the work it was to maintain, constant crashing and all of the original members. What a time that was and we can thank Paul for that.

Later on, Paul told me he was leaving SA because Scot sent an email to someone, and signed it as Paul Bishop. It must have been on the info@ email. The email, according to Paul was sent to a sailing industry, that Paul knew and had to deal with. I'm sure this might have been the icing on the cake as it sounds like there as bit more behind the scenes, that I may not have heard of.

Unfortunately, this all leads to the Tempesta = Trump syndrome. Scot does not realize how he is more like Trump that he cares to acknowledge, except the $$$ part.

Paul was very instrumental in the early days of SA getting the community to come together and communicate with each other whereas Scot was all about bashing.

See ya on the other side Paul.