searooster

What is this called and what should I do with it?

I have a Columbia 30, -72,  that I'm restoring and this side rail/bumper thing is falling off. For you more experienced folks, 1) what is the name of this part?, 2) I need to repaint the whole top side and deck, should I remove them and do it when I haul it out, or just try to put it back? Or should I get new ones, and if so where can I get new ones? What should I do with it?

This is my first boat, and I super appreciate your thoughts and responses!

20181014_173245.jpg

I found out they're called Rub Rails (correct me if I'm wrong). Yet, anyone has any experience with them and how to replace them?

I recall there was a company in LA that could provide the original profile vinyl inserts for Columbia extrusions. Can't help with their name though.

There was a pretty active Columbia owners group on the web that might be able to help.

I trust you realize that the rail is not a trim piece but is called the Columbia H-Joint and is actually what holds the hull & deck together?

The extrusion fits over the hull and is riveted to it then the deck fits into the extrusion and is also riveted to it.

That vinyl cleans up extremely well with MEK but it has hardened and shrunk with age so the only way to get it to stay in place will be some sort of goo like 4200.

I've seen the vinyl replaced with teak and it looks very good.

Deck Details #6.jpg

Deck Details #7.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to translate SJB's great advice for a first time boat owner: slap some 4200 on it and go sailing.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Thanks a lot! No, I actually did not know that. Should I remove the entire piece, clean it, and glue it back together? It's falling off, and its flaking all over around it so everything needs to be repainted. 

Please don't make your rub rail from polished teak.  Please.  If you need a reason why, read the name to your self slowly a couple times. 

Is it O/K to make it from hand rubbed teak?

That's the one I couldn't remember.

My rub rails are teak.  Should I remove them immediately?  They are 40 years old, so probably worn out anyway...:o

3 hours ago, SVArcturus said:

My rub rails are teak.  Should I remove them immediately?  They are 40 years old, so probably worn out anyway...:o

Anything you can't get off with a crowbar, a big chisel and a five-pound sledge can be cleaned up with an angle grinder. Four hours tops.

Lots of good and confusing advice here, but what about some tits to rub against !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

really surprised noone here has just suggested to take the bloody things off.

It's pretty ugly with no trim piece in it - 3" or so strip of aluminium & rivet heads the full length of the boat.

Remove any more than the vinyl and you'll remove the deck - that aluminium piece is the hull/deck joint.

Could you stuff some laid rope in the groove for a salty look?

Nope - the channel is too thin (1/4") and too wide (3"?) to get rope in it.