v-max

Marblehead to Halifax 2019

F me I'm a sucker for punishment! Might as well get the thread rolling.

There's already a couple of posts on SA about Halifax, where to stay/get bedbugs and syphilis etc. 

Might as well consolidate here in ORA.

Marblehead to Halifax 2019

mhor2019nor.pdf

Were in, hopefully get some weather this time. Past two have been warm and kind.

• Like 1

This is my first time in a while not doing the race. The last one was champagne sailing. I think we did 3 gybes and 2 sail changes the whole race.

Who wants to bet against Airborne???

nope. just spent 6 weeks buying a trawler down in FL and bringing it up the ditch. sorta boated out for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Congrats to the Naval Academy - Zaraffa corrected out to first in ORR1!   Warrior, a Volvo 70, won the gun but corrected to second.

Wahoo is about 90 miles out from the finish, motoring at 9kts (~6kts VMG).

- Stumbling

• Like 1

On one level, the race was deeply frustrating. On another,  deeply satisfying. 

The DH class started late in the sequence but a near reach on Sunday allowed us to power our way through the fleet in front of us and get striking distance of top 5 or so before Monday dashed out dreams.  2 to 6 knots over 15 hours proved once again that fat bottom girls make the world go round, but only when the wind exceeds knots. 

The fleet sailed eight through us and made for some odd juxtapositions as we went into Tuesday. Butbrebeq3d reaching over the course of Tueaday and then running, let us claw our way back. 

The east side of Nova Scotia saw an crazy amount of randomly introduced shear and more weed than I could believe.  20 miles out from the fish the breeze shut down again and then 5 boats swapped racks up the Halifax harbor to round out the top ten. That was line honors of course. When a Class40 owes a Kerr50 time you know you are going to get humiliated under ORR handicapping. 

There was not a puff of fig, the days were warm and sunny and the nights crystal clear and cool. Beautiful summer sailing although tactically very tricky. And the hospitality in Halifax was the usual Canadian warmth. 

Fun (and a bit frustrating) times. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 7:52 PM, Rail Meat said:

On one level, the race was deeply frustrating. On another,  deeply satisfying. 

The DH class started late in the sequence but a near reach on Sunday allowed us to power our way through the fleet in front of us and get striking distance of top 5 or so before Monday dashed out dreams.  2 to 6 knots over 15 hours proved once again that fat bottom girls make the world go round, but only when the wind exceeds knots. 

The fleet sailed eight through us and made for some odd juxtapositions as we went into Tuesday. Butbrebeq3d reaching over the course of Tueaday and then running, let us claw our way back. 

The east side of Nova Scotia saw an crazy amount of randomly introduced shear and more weed than I could believe.  20 miles out from the fish the breeze shut down again and then 5 boats swapped racks up the Halifax harbor to round out the top ten. That was line honors of course. When a Class40 owes a Kerr50 time you know you are going to get humiliated under ORR handicapping. 

There was not a puff of fig, the days were warm and sunny and the nights crystal clear and cool. Beautiful summer sailing although tactically very tricky. And the hospitality in Halifax was the usual Canadian warmth. 

Fun (and a bit frustrating) times. 

Good summary Railmeat! Great to see you in Halifax too! 

Hopefully we'll see Dragon on the start line with the rest of the Classe 40's for the next Route St Pierre race July 2020!