'Bacco

To Taffeta or Not to Taffeta

I’m ordering a new Quantum Fusion #1 for my Schock 35. My sailmaker mentioned I could do taffeta on one side of the sail to help durability. Is it worth it to spend the extra $400 or is it generally unneeded? We do weekly beercan races and 2-3 bigger regattas a year. I’m also on the Great Lakes so the boat is only in the water and racing from May to October.  Is it unrealistic to think I could get 5 season out of the sail without the taffeta? Does it really make that sail that much more durable? 

I am also not interested in going to a different sailmaker. Quantum is local, and their support and customer service to my area is fantastic.  

Just now, SailChiTown said:

With fusion, you can choose your outer skin, what did you choose? which fusion is it? M7000? M5000, etc. and which sub ie: 7600?

M5300

how much a percentage is $400 over the cost of the whole sail?       for ex  $6k  cost,   the $400 is less than 1%     or if you go by the 5 year mark, that's only $13 a month extra...

2 minutes ago, SailChiTown said:

ok, and if you don't do taffeta, what skin would it be?

this is the quote.

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.47.10 AM.png

Without knowing what the skin is, hard to know whether taffeta would be a help. I will say, if it's mylar, adding taffeta will help, mylar will start to crack from folding and weather after 3-4 years. we put taffeta on one side of a mylar sail and think we got a full year more out of it (maybe more).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

how much a percentage is $400 over the cost of the whole sail?       for ex  $6k  cost,   the $400 is less than 1%     or if you go by the 5 year mark, that's only $13 a month extra...

Glad you're not my accountant...

It's an additional 6.67% cost or $6.70/mo for 5yrs.

• Like 2

I did the taffeta on my UK's and very glad I did.  Seem to be holding up better

• Like 2

I have always gotten the taffeta wether it be North, Q or other.

That seems like a reasonable price.

Make sure it includes sail #'s

My mainsail is 6 years old and still has a great shape. I re-faired the luff last season but that was mostly to replace the bolt rope rather than to adjust the sail shape. The sail is mylar with taffeta on both sides. I attribute the sails longevity to the taffeta and the fact that the sail is roller furled on the boom.

I have a new jib which is a DPI GP with lite skin, somewhat like taffeta. Not as heavy and perhaps not as bulletproof. I have noticed some wear from Code Zero sheets dragging across the rolled up jib. Like taffeta, lite skin is supposed to increase the longevity of the sail The previous jib was mylar and lasted 4 years. Still has a good shape but the UV protection film had failed and there would be a new hole almost every time we sailed.

I would defiantly go with taffeta or lite skin. When I replace the main in a few years it will be with lite skin or something like it and I will expect to get 8 to 10 years out of it.

56 minutes ago, sailorman44 said:

I would defiantly go with taffeta or lite skin.

Fuck all of you guys, I'm getting taffeta whether you like it or not!

19 hours ago, lartaunt said:

I did the taffeta on my UK's and very glad I did.  Seem to be holding up better

Same here on my Doyles.

It is what i use for the past 15 years.

The sails last longer.

If you buying new sails every other year, maybe it is not needed, especially in light air locations.

But for most us duffers, it is very cost effective.

If you do not sail with a crew every time, how do you roll that mainsail at the end of the day?  Just flake the taffeta sail.

I used to order high modulus polyester sails.

With a taffeta mylar sail, I can get 7 years of wear with excellent shape.  the traditional woven sails would have long been blown out and turned into duffel bags by then..

Not only stopping  creases, it also works as padding so you do not get pinholes.

And for old boats, the boat looks more traditional than with string sails.

• Like 1

had a 3DL-TF jib "back in the day" - with TF on both sides. The plastic totally delammed and all of the strings moved into the leach. was sort of entertaining in an apoplectic sort of way. 

Thanks all. It looks like I will be doing black DP Lite Skin on one side. Should be a cool looking sail.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Have you looked at just doing Tafetta on both sides of the leech that gets raped in the rig when tacking instead of the whole sail?  And what about doing the same using Lite Skin?  Cost more but lighter with good ware? 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:38 PM, George Hackett said:

Have you looked at just doing Tafetta on both sides of the leech that gets raped in the rig when tacking instead of the whole sail?  And what about doing the same using Lite Skin?  Cost more but lighter with good ware? 

raping the leech? Seems a bit excessive.

Do the taffeta, you won't regret it. Strengthens the sail and increases longevity quite a bit.

I recently ordered a new fusion 5300 mainsail from Quantum for my J35. In the past my Quantum mains developed splits down the leech. The last main was repaired with taffeta along the leech. Cost quite a bit of cash, but I got another year of use out of the sail. This time the sailmaker and I agreed to put Lite Skin on one side of the sail. The extra cost was not too much and I am hoping this will be a case of pay now and not later for a repair.

I love taffeta for a different reason.  When I'm up at the bow (well.... when I used to go up to the bow) and pulled down a sail, gripping the slippery laminates was always a bitch in cold and rain.  The taffeta gave you a surface that wasn't slick as heck.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:40 PM, Raz'r said:

I think he means the chafing that occurs to the leech and sail when tacking where the cloth is dragged across the shrouds and spreaders.

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

I love taffeta for a different reason.  When I'm up at the bow (well.... when I used to go up to the bow) and pulled down a sail, gripping the slippery laminates was always a bitch in cold and rain.  The taffeta gave you a surface that wasn't slick as heck.

With only some slight modifications this could have started   Dear Penthouse:

I think there was a girl named Taffeta dancing at our local strip club a few years back...

Taffeta on both sides is not avail.? Here in Europe  the sun shines onto both sides of the sail ....But might  be different on the other side of the Atlantic....but be carefull to do chafe only on the taffeta side ;O)

Have Light Skin on my new Sails and love it!

Q did Taffeta on one side of my carbon main, 3, & 1 it has been a success on all 3 sails.  They are a bit bulkier, but not enough to care.  Do it, you'll like the durability.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:40 PM, Raz'r said:

lust is a powerful emotion. 

Personally, I prefer the A2. 

Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered the sail with black lite skin. I'll post pics when it comes in. Should be a cool looking sail.